Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

random281

Mar 10, 2012
GrimTuesday said:
As I sit in my room, listening to the rain and waiting for sleep to take me, I started to think about the universe, and then, more narrowly, about our own little blue marble amongst the stars. Now, I may be alone in this but I think that the name Earth is a fucking boring. If it were left up to me, I would rename it Terra, and instead of being humans, we would be Terrans. Its just more interesting that being from boring old earth, instead, we would be Terrans, with our goliaths and vultures, and mighty Terran empire (or confederacy for those less inclined to Imperialism).

So what you you rename this fine planet of ours?
What do the Chinese want to call it? They're the ones who are probably going to get the final say.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Oh, but it is called Terra... and also la Terre in French, which is female... also le Monde in French, which is male. Fun enough? In German, It's called Erde, which is very close to that boring Earth of yours, but then again, in German "der Mond" refers to the moon, just to confuse us a little bit more (or tell tales of early confusion amongst travellers and failed intercultural exchanges).

I think we should stick with "Earth" just because it sounds so refreshingly odd... ör?... I mean... come on, it's silly!

The Chinese call it "tǔ", which is also used to refer to soil (as in many other languages), but also to "spitting" or "spitting out"... yeah, I sometimes still wonder if Chinese is just a practical joke played on mankind or if its as philosophical in nature as they want us to believe or if it's maybe just a wee bit too down-to-earth in its approach to putting meaning into syllables... and then making up crazy scribbles.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I think we should stick with "Earth" just because it sounds so refreshingly odd... ör?... I mean... come on, it's silly!
While I agree, I just want to point out that Earth doesn't sound at all like Orf.

Frostbyte

Jan 1, 2012
kazenoaiko said:
As a sugestion for a planet name, how's about this?:

BAD_DATA

If anyone gets where that's from, you may level up.
It's that damned glitch from Spore! Reward me, please!

Anyway, I've seen lots of calls for Midgard. Well then, what about calling it Valhalla?

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I am nth-ing the choice "Midgard". Why use Latin for eeeeeeeverything? Let's use a different language for once.

Also, the sun's official name is Sol and the Earth has no official name, but is also referred to by its Latin name, Terra.

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
Latin is great because we don't have native speakers fu**ing up the meanings of words.
Scientists tried using English and see what happened. The idiots in the street changed the meaning of the word from to and suddenly they don't take scientific theories serious and more.

Therefore: Sol - Terra - Luna. Or Sol and Sol-3 for navigation.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
isometry said:
"Terra" is latin, but I prefer ancient greek in general, so for the purpose of this thread I prefer "Gaia."
Would you just make 'Earthlings', Gaians? Or Gaiatish? Gai-ish? Gaishans? Gaiards? Gaialings?

OT: Gaia doesn't sound too bad, maybe if we got cool Adept powers from Golden Sun it'd be better[footnote]"Greetings, alien scum, I'm Gaian, maybe you've heard of us *Bio uses Ragnarok!*"[/footnote]

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, our defining feature in both our solar system and even our part of the galaxy is how he have liquid water on out surface, neither frozen nor boiled away.

I say name it... waterworld:

But because that movie was kinda lame, lets look to the Ancient Greeks, the progenitors of our modern civilisation in terms of ideas of discourse, democracy and education and so on (shame that autocratic and dogmatic religions got in the way for several thousand years). They call water "nero". So this planet could be Neros, or something that means "wetrock".

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
How about Bonerland? Does that sound like a nice place to live? Also:

IMPORTANT: Gaia is a better name than 'Terra.'

Other options: Greg, as in good guy greg.
Omicron Percei 3.
Or John. John Herbert.

kazenoaiko

Oct 6, 2011
Frostbyte said:
kazenoaiko said:
As a sugestion for a planet name, how's about this?:

BAD_DATA

If anyone gets where that's from, you may level up.
It's that damned glitch from Spore! Reward me, please!

Anyway, I've seen lots of calls for Midgard. Well then, what about calling it Valhalla?
Your reward sir?

You have the awe of the internets.

FOR VALHALLA!

David Timan

Mar 31, 2012
I think that in keeping with the Roman Gods theme that is used for the other planets and imagining the viewing of our planet by someone approaching the solar system or living on another planet or moon, I say we should name the earth - moon system Gemini since the system is very nearly a twin planet system with the centre of mass of the system very close to earth's surface. Both objects would appear to have a similar brightness and would of course move together through the sky of Mars for example. You could either call them Castor and Pollux as the names of the twins or simply Gemini Major and Gemini Minor. The twins were the patrons of sailors which is fitting due to the high surface area of water on the earth.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Just use a thing that was founded on Earth to reffer to it.

*2,000,000 years time*

Pilot: "Commander, where to?"

Commander: "To Bathroom. I have some unfinished business there."