Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Heh, yeah, go urbanization. Burn in hell, trees! THAT'S FOR BEING IN MY WAY IN HALO 3!
OT: I don't know much about carpal tunnel, and it seems bad, but is it really worse than breaking your bones?
Off-topic again: if we build time machines we can ruin our cartilige with video games then go back in time and break our arms/legs/skulls skateboarding on trees.

thekrimzonguard

Jun 8, 2009
Hooray for falling out of trees! Just land on your backside and it's all fine.

It's best to learn of failure when you're young and it's nothing important. Pick yourself up and start again. Not knowing how to cope with failure is a seriously big hinderance and you can't learn it all from videogames, because failure has no real consequence there. Videogames have taught me a lot, but there's a lot more to be learnt from a childhood of regular A&E visits.

Cause and effect.
Failure and resoluteness.
Running into walls and concussion.
You get the idea.

Irridium said:
orangebandguy said:
dalek sec said:
As someone who broke both arms as a kid I'm really confused on how that's an important part of growing up?
It hurt right? Now you know.
Because you totally need to break your arm to know that it hurts.

/sarcasm
Now he knows how much it hurts.
I wish I'd broken bones growing up! Right now I have no idea how much it hurts, and the fear of it is probably worse than the actual pain (and recovery).

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Zetsubou said:
So....if i haven't fallen out of a tree, I live a repressed childhood?
Good thing I did. And it fucking hurt. So it's not, in fact, a good thing... Why does this story have a negative ring to it? I would think that the fact that less children are breaking bones and pulling muscles would be a good thing...

TankCopter

Jul 8, 2009
The Sun seems quick to blame the video games alone, but lets not forget that parents have become a lot more careful with their spawn over recent years. Mostly kids are made to wear pads, and forbidden from climbing trees full stop. It's certainly true at the school I go to. You can get into a heap of trouble for climbing trees, despite there being a perfectly climbable boab on the oval. It's pretty different to the stuff my dad used to get up to as a kid. Everyone's a lot more safety conscious now.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
one way of growing up is not better then any other, its just differnt. Just because our parents learned by falling out of trees and we learn by complex games is just a sign of the times.

remember way back? people only had kids so they could work on the farm. Im sure those old people complained just as viemetly about kids falling out trees and not working on the farm as todays old people do about us.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
I can see the need for children go outside rather than playing video games early on. It helps with developing the child's social skills, muscle control, fitness, and prepares their immune system for those early viruses, and any others further on. If it doesn't get it's first taste of the outside world while the human body is still capable of fully adapting, something like the common cold could be a very serious health threat.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, your dealing with a societal issue in general. It's not urbanization so much as things like having both parents working, an extremely liberal society that makes catching and dealing with criminals extremely difficult, and of course the simple fact that over the years precedent has been established by people without kids who don't want them running around their houses and yards being able to effectively ban kids playing in an area, enforce strict curfews, and other things. Today the stereotype of the crotchedy old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn isn't as common as it used to be, because those old dudes went to the goverment and had laws passed where they don't have to run them off. Kid gets on their lawn, he calls the police, and next thing you know the parents are paying a fine (which also means they aren't being encouraged to let the kid roam the streets).

Then of course there are other dangers due to increasing levels of drugs, street crimes, and other things. Even playgrounds and such aren't safe unless a parent is there to supervise, and sadly with both parents working nowadays there is no "homemaker" to really raise the kids.

People sit down and like to present things as people using the TV or games as an "electronic parenting unit" but that's only part of the story. Things got to that level for some pretty good reasons. Right now anyone who suggests that one parent should be staying at home, especially if it's the mother, is usually flamed heavily.

I think a lot of people who write articles about the state of children and such live in a fantasy land of TV sitcoms and such which they feel represent reality for the average American. That's not the case. What's more most of these observations are good at pointing out problems, which anyone can do, but do not present much in the way of viable solutions.

Let's say you take away the TV and games, that isn't going to make the kids go outside. Saying the parents should be around more and take a more active hand is common sense, but at the same token families need two incomes nowadays to make ends meet. Attempts to clean up neighborhoods so kids can walk around in safety meet with resistance due to inevitable civil liberties protests on one grounds or another. You can't just get rid of hookers, crack dealers, and other elements because even if common sense makes it obvious what they are doing our society doesn't work based on common sense but the word of law, which makes it very difficult to prove a lot of crimes well enough to get rid of people, and even if you DO get them locked up the elements don't disappear because criminals are being released from prison back into their old habitats every day, and in numbers equal to those going in. Not to mention the issue of where you lock a lot of people up. In some areas you could probably do a police sweep and arrest thousands of people with good evidence, but in the end where do you put them all? We already have problems with prisons overflowing.

A lot of issues interrelate. In this case however blaming the video games is popular because it seems like something people can do something about, even as a totally false scapegoat.

Honestly, I think the REAL issues involved are all things that could be dealt with, but it involves clashing with a lot of people, putting a lot of established morality on the backburner, doing a lot of things that would be considered unfair, and with our current population probably killing a few million people by employing Hollywood "Elliot Ness" type law enforcement. Of course nobody wants to do that (for obvious reasons) so the problems persist and people whine about whatever scapegoat they can find, this week it's video games.

Such are my thoughts as unpleasant as they are.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
doing stupid things to hurt themselves the way they used to.
parents just don't let kids engage in those kinds of "dangerous" activities anymore.
Success! People are finally thinking about the children these days! It's about time that parents are shielding their children from the harsh and unforgiving world out there and are instead keeping them in a warm and safe environment.

[/sarcasm]

You know, I was being sarcastic there but something popped in my mind while I was typing it. Would you rather little Jimmy or little Suzie pass away at 56 years old from a heart attack caused by obesity or at 13 years old falling out of a tree onto their neck or accidentally rollerblading into traffic. This is a really difficult question raised by one of the most unlikely of sources. Congratulations go to the guy (or gal) who penned that article and the people who conducted the study.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
dalek sec said:
As someone who broke both arms as a kid I'm really confused on how that's an important part of growing up?
Did you ever repeat what you did that caused your broken arms?
Stoic raptor said:
Cant we play video games AND play outside? Must they be one or the other?
Not according to the number crunchers that make up statistics. They don't see that blurry line.
Consider that our own government is pushing kids from being outdoors or even being physically active, and then these same people are wondering why obesity is getting more rampant. I find it ironic that for once, a tabloid actually nails down something credible. I for one committed many horrendous acts of self-abuse through playing which brought me much pain, and I got much consolation from my parents, as well as much giggling over how I managed to do such things. I laugh about it now thinking back on it. How in one generation's time did parenting suddenly take a fearful approach to being outside and doing some crazy stunts, I am at a loss to. Life is about learning, and some things that you learn can be painful. What makes us stronger is getting back up, and not doing what we did wrong before. Maybe taking a break from videogames now and then in order to avoid chronic joint pain in the hands will be the new lesson to be learned.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Something about the article on dangers posed to kids these days, and the screenshot from F.E.A.R. 2 with Alma had me laughing hysterically.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I think that children should have the wonderful childhood experiences of falling over, breaking bones, smashing their skulls open e.t.c

You need to fall down so you can pick yourself back up again.

Video games (why do we still say that? When was the last time you plugged in a cartrigde?) DVD games, are not to blame though. They can be turned off, the power cord taken away...DVD games should not rule the house.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Isn't this like how cameras at intersections reduced the number of people running red lights but increased the number of rear-end crashes?

Woem

May 28, 2009
I wonder how these kids get RSI? I've been a gamer since I was a kid and a programmer since my late teens so I spent and spend most of my wake hours behind a computer screen. And I never had any issues with RSI.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Kids who don't have at least the opportunity to bust themselves up now and then - and not just by straining their thumbs - are missing out on an important part of growing up.
I'm inclined to agree. Climbing trees used to be something I really loved doing when I was growing up. It's part of the reason why I'm as agile as I am.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well gee, with all the 'The world is out to get you' media lately is this really a shocker?

Reap what you Sow.

Kids don't go out because parents are too scared to want kids to go out.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Maybe kids are less prone to jumping out of trees, going into walls on skateboards and the like nowadays. Maybe we've evolved not to.