Report: Assassin's Creed: Unity Frame Rate Problems Across Consoles - Update

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
I knew this was coming. I saw the game running at PAX Aus a week ago and I could see that the framerate was well below 30fps. I figured that maybe it was just an earlier build for the sake of the demo. Turns out, nope! It was the final, release ready version! Nice job Ubisoft. If your current business model is to destroy what little credibility you have left by insulting gamers with idiotic press statements and sh*tilly optimised, broken games, then it seems your plan is going extremely well so far!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Someone remind me...how is it that EA has won 2 Shittiest Company awards while Ubi has none? I don't know how many of you are keeping score at home but, while EA has still been keeping up its pace of crap games and bullshit PR lipservice, I believe Ubi is officially in the lead at this point.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Oh Ubisoft, you so silly!

If Call of Duty has taught us anything, it's that yearly installments CAN work...until they start pumping out crappy games. Whatever your personal thoughts on Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, or "insert yearly game here", for the most part they are good games. However, once that one bad one kicks players teeth in, they lose trust of the brand and begin moving away from it.

Why companies are willing to sacrifice what could be a very long and lucrative cash cow for short term profits baffles me.
The question is, then, is Unity a worse port than Ghosts to all consoles and the PC? Which dick has destroyed the fanbase the swiftest?

OT: Well, I don't play them enough, but it's a shame. I suppose in a few weeks or months or so, I will get to watch my Dad sit in rage at the shite optimisation.

usernameisinuse

Aug 28, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Someone remind me...how is it that EA has won 2 Shittiest Company awards while Ubi has none? I don't know how many of you are keeping score at home but, while EA has still been keeping up its pace of crap games and bullshit PR lipservice, I believe Ubi is officially in the lead at this point.
That award is for US based companies and Ubisoft, at least according to my understanding, is not an US based company. Though I think it would be nice if there was a 'Worst Video Game Publisher" award or something like that. Maybe it would motivate publishers being less awful and we could have publishers all over the world to participate. Maybe Jim can make an award like that while we wait for some organization to implement the idea.

I'm just curious how many times Ubisoft can shoot itself in the leg with the stuff that they do before it impacts their sales so much that they need to change. Watch_Dogs wasn't exactly brilliantly received but hyped to ridiculous extent, now this and who knows how Far Cry 4, AC: Rogue end up being. Also the Tom Clancy's the Division doesn't exactly increase my confidence towards ubisoft, it just looks too nice to be true right now which is similar pattern to the previous failures.

Maybe failures like these finally end the Pre-order stuff... I just don't understand why people are so keen to purchase the product before it's available when they could just as well get it on launch day if they want to support the company by buying the game full priced.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
usernameisinuse said:
RJ 17 said:
That award is for US based companies and Ubisoft, at least according to my understanding, is not an US based company.
Ahhh, well my question has been answered then. Fair enough. :p

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Will this stop people making half a dozen console slamming threads every other week? Reading some of the posts here I don't think so... oh well it'll be business as usual.

A very odd turn of events. I'd have thought with all the business of 30 frames lock, and all that it'd mean the game would at least be stable... but...well yeah those videos are quite something.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Wow... so they aimed for something less than what has already been achieved on the same console (aimed for 30 fps at 900p on the PS4, where shadows of mordor and infamous second son had already accomplished 60 fps at 1080p), and couldn't even get that right?

How poor does Ubisoft's dev team have to be.. honestly, this is just pathetic.

Don't use the whole "oh it's a big world with lots of NPCs" bullshit, because we would all much rather have a few less NPCs running around if it meant we would not have drops to 6fps and graphical glitches. It's called priorities, do you really need 400 NPCs right here? or could you get away with 200 so your FPS doesn't drop to 8-bit sprite animation?

Shadows of Mordor has an equally big world, it not only runs at a higher resolution and framerate than ACU, but doesn't suffer from massive drops or graphical glitches, and it runs on the same hardware.

ACU isn't even that impressive graphically.. it does not look that good.

Ubisoft could not code their way out of a wet paper bag.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
ddrkreature said:
Wow. Just...wow. I thought the people complaining about it were just finding reasons to hate on the game but that's just plain bad. The PC version apparently doesn't fare much better as the specs are stupid high for minimum and just showing signs of bad porting. For something like this, I don't blame consoles having gimped hardware (I actually think their fine). I blame Ubisoft not knowing how to make a game right.
No no no. There was a gif of how low the draw distances were with enemies popping up right in front of your face. The Crowds they showed at E3 were outright lies. In some footage, there was LESS NPCs on the streets than last Ass Creed games.

And then you have Ubisoft's shitty textures somehow taking up 2GB of VRAM. Skyrim had better textures and it only had 512MB of RAM. Skyrim looked and played better on 1/4th the power of the next gen.

I have been looking at reddit and they have been tearing ubisoft a new ass hole.

Think Watch Dogs was bad at keeping its promises? You haven't seen anything yet.

That is some last gen shit right there. 2Gb of ram my ass.
I'm now very happy I didn't go for this one. I still need to get through Black Flag anyway.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011

I think the graphics might be too intense. Better remove more frames.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Expected.

After Watch Dogs, I'm not coming near Ubisoft products with a 10 foot pole unless it's under $15 or free. Any other condition, screw that, not worth it.

I was almost disappointed that all 3 games that came with my GTX 970 were all Ubisoft games. Unity was immediately out of the question, so it's a toss up between The Crew and Far Cry 4. The Crew seems very meh, and Far Cry 4... Well.. I liked Far Cry 3, probably what I'm going to pick.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Sigh. And I'm just sitting here waiting for FC4. I resent that the last game I buy of the generation is a Ubi title. Although I was curious to see what the PC specs meant for the consoles, and apparently it meant Ubisoft developed a game the current hardware can't handle for whatever reason. I don't even care. I'mma buy FC4 for PS3, sit in the corner and wait until I can buy a Wii U. Fuck Bloodborne, fuck the other title I was interested in which I can't be too interested in if I can't remember it, fuck Sony, I'm going to buy a Wii U and have some fucking old school fun. I'm sitting back with Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's WW, and enjoying first party titles until I find a soul crushing retail job that makes me throw all my consoles in the trash so I can buy a Kia for my future wife. I'm out. I'M DONE. CAN'T HANDLE IT. NOT DEALING WITH IT ANYMORE. I'M DONE.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
The next generation is truly here.

Ugh, really though. I started getting fed up with AC after Revelations and AC3 and took a break from the series. I only got around to playing AC4 a couple months ago. I'd thought it would be a step in the right direction, albeit a small one, but Ubisoft has really taken two steps back with their track record this year...

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
And this is what happens when you overhype and underwork on a game. It's sad to see developers and publishers stoop this low, even Steam's current user reviews is at a paltry 36% (Mostly Negative) and likely will get worse from there.

Also, stop preordering games!

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Gundam GP01 said:
You seem to think that if a game is optimized for rendering fairly large crowds, and is set to have a relatively low draw distance as a result, it should just up and change it's render setting on a whim when it isn't displaying as many people.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible, dude.
It's not just possible, it's trivially easy. All you need to do is make the program increment a counter each time it renders a character, and stop rendering characters once it hits a cap or once it runs out of characters, whichever happens first. If there are a thousand people within LOS, just render the closest 200 and stop there. If there are 5, since 5 < 200, render them no matter how far away they are.

If you think this is not possible, you clearly have not the slightest clue about programming.