Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/58/58447.jpg
The rights to the iconic series return to James Cameron in 2019, who is reportedly planning a reboot.

Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/] is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot, with original director James Cameron to oversee production, and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.

Apparently, the rights to the franchise return to Cameron in 2019 - a full 34 years after the release of the original movie. Sources say that Cameron and Miller are in talks to produce a movie that finally, definitely, puts an end to the war between humans and machines.

Back in 1984, rookie director Cameron - who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director - sold rights to Terminator for just $1 to producer Gale Anne Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director.

Cameron went on to write and direct Terminator 2 but after that largely washed his hands of the series. The exception was on the last picture, 2015's Terminator Genisys. Perhaps because his old friend Schwarzenegger had returned as the title character, Cameron was generous in his assessment, reportedly saying that the Alan Taylor-directed film had reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise.

At this point we don't know if Cameron's new movie will be a full reboot, starting everything over from scratch, or simply another installment in the franchise.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Almost as if this franchise can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with, and absolutely will not stop. Ever! Until you are dead!

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
There's something vaguely poetic about a film franchise about how time travel is ultimately futile and the mistakes of the future are bound to happen regardless of how many times you go back to "fix things" being rebooted...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Almost as if this franchise can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with, and absolutely will not stop. Ever! Until you are dead!
Brownie points!

That said, I'm kind of wary of this. Genisys worked as hard as possible to fraction off the series' continuum and create a new timeline of events in a way that's even more convoluted than what Rise of the Machines attempted, so... Where can they possibly go from now?

Plus, Arnie's getting up there in years. I doubt the Terminator franchise could survive someone *else* being picked for a ticket-selling T-800's external organic envelope.

Still, I'd always welcome Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson in Full Expressionless Juggernaut mode.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
A real shame they're rebooting it, they did the same with Genisys but did so by working with the mechanics of the series itself. Genisys was surprisingly great and looked like it was going somewhere interesting, but if the reboot is half as good as that was it'll be worth watching at least.

IamLEAM1983 said:
Plus, Arnie's getting up there in years. I doubt the Terminator franchise could survive someone *else* being picked for a ticket-selling T-800's external organic envelope.

Still, I'd always welcome Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson in Full Expressionless Juggernaut mode.
Ooh! Or maybe it's time for fiction to become reality!

Actually that would probably be not so good, but it would be funny at least.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yes because what we really need this year is yet another reboot of a franchise that's already a craptacular mess...I think i'd rather see Paul Blart 3!

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I can't decide which one I want to see less. A movie adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog or another Terminator movie.

Terminator is on the top of my list of movies that they need to stop making sequels for. Alien is a close second.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The Rogue Wolf said:
A re-re-reboot. Sure, why not. It's official; Hollywood is now completely and utterly out of fresh ideas.
You mean it wasn't out of ideas when they rebooted Spiderman again?

Or when they made Battleship into a movie?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
As if Cameron doesn't have enough on his plate already. Now we'll wait forever for [insert project Cameron's name's attached to here]!
But hey, you know who has an idea for a fresh new take on Terminator? MovieBob:

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
Apparently, the rights to the franchise return to Cameron in 2019 - a full 34 years after the release of the original movie. Sources say that Cameron and Miller are in talks to produce a movie that finally, definitely, puts an end to the war between humans and machines.
They already did. It was called "Terminator 2". It ended things rather nicely, and rather definitively. Unfortunately, it turned out that the power of narrative cohesion could not defeat the strength of the Almighty Dollar, and a sequel was made, justified with one of the most embarrassing attempts at a retcon in the history of storytelling.

Also, if this is following the film that "reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise", it will not definitely do a single damn thing. Art doesn't matter; there's money to be made!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
As if Cameron doesn't have enough on his plate already. Now we'll wait forever for [insert project Cameron's name's attached to here]!
The savior of the world is a black female scientist; the threat is a anti-science male dudebro. Good to know his departure from the Escapist hasn't changed Bob much...

But, y'know, I'd almost be willing to go that route if it was willing to do something really edgy. Say, the villain succeeds... And the absence of the pro-science future that would have created time travel in the first place creates such a temporal paradox that it destroys the world. Everyone loses.

(Yeah... Good luck getting that past a "high concept" meeting with studio bean counters.)

-

As far as Cameron coming back to the series, I'm going to try not to hold the "Genisys will re-invigorate the franchise" thing against him. And I'd even go so far as to say that if anyone can bring the thing back to life, it's probably JC. (Hey, he's got the initials.)

...But that "if anyone" isn't rhetorical; I'm not at all sure that anyone can undo the burdens of Genisys and Salvation, even by writing them off as non-canon. I'm just not sure what Cameron could do to spark interest in a property that has doled out so much disappointment of late. One too many field heart transplant surgeries in a world without antibiotics, one too many sub-sub-sub contingency plans from Skynet, about a thousand too many "because... reasons, look, just go with it" moments.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Steven Bogos said:
Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/] is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot,
Well, that's not too bad. I mean, I can't even call it a reboot really, since multiple Terminator timelines exist.

Steven Bogos said:
with original director James Cameron to oversee production,
Ooh, that sounds good. While I like Salvation and Genisys (the less said about Rise of the Machines and Sarah Connor Chronicles the better), they're not on the same level as the first. If there has to be a Terminator film, then if Cameron's producing, it might have a chance of being good.

Steven Bogos said:
and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.
...and that chance promptly got thrown out the window. :(

Samtemdo8 said:
Rectifying the last 2 movies eh James boy?
...seriously? Salvation and Genisys are the movies that need to be "recitifed," while Rise of the Machines gets off scott free?

IamLEAM1983 said:
That said, I'm kind of wary of this. Genisys worked as hard as possible to fraction off the series' continuum and create a new timeline of events in a way that's even more convoluted than what Rise of the Machines attempted, so... Where can they possibly go from now?
Start somewhere new.

I understand I'm in the minority for liking Genisys and Salvation, but the thing is, credits teaser aside, I never thought Genisys even needed a continuation. In this timeline, for all intents and purposes, Skynet/Genisys is stopped, and Sarah and Reese get to live out their lives peacefully (in a way, the lack of a Genisys continuation kind of adds to this). The reason why I can't get miffed about any Terminator reboot (as opposed to, say, Alien 5 being set to overright Alien 3/Resurrection) is that the series is based on the concept of multiple timelines.

IamLEAM1983 said:
I agree there. Nothing about Terminator dictates that Arnie has to be the titular Terminator. It was iffy enough in T2, that a model 101 just HAPPENS to be the model sent back, but fine, I'll buy it. T3 had to contrive it again, making the John of the future look like an idiot. In Salvation, I thought it was well done though - we get to see Arnie be a villain again, and if that's the first T-800 ever deployed, then model 101 makes sense to be the first one seen (if the model line actually starts there or something). In Genisys, things get really silly though.

Darth_Payn said:
I saw that. It was terrible.

I mean, seriously, the premise is that some muscle guy doesn't like a utopian future, so goes back in time to kill a person who plays some role in creating said utopian future, when the entire premise of said utopian future is that it comes across naturally through the development of technology at a more steady pace? I mean, he is right that the series kind of just forgot Blythe Dyson exists, but even so, the entire premise is nonensical.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Steven Bogos said:
Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/] is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot,
Well, that's not too bad. I mean, I can't even call it a reboot really, since multiple Terminator timelines exist.

Steven Bogos said:
with original director James Cameron to oversee production,
Ooh, that sounds good. While I like Salvation and Genisys (the less said about Rise of the Machines and Sarah Connor Chronicles the better), they're not on the same level as the first. If there has to be a Terminator film, then if Cameron's producing, it might have a chance of being good.

Steven Bogos said:
and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.
...and that chance promptly got thrown out the window. :(

Samtemdo8 said:
Rectifying the last 2 movies eh James boy?
...seriously? Salvation and Genisys are the movies that need to be "recitifed," while Rise of the Machines gets off scott free?

IamLEAM1983 said:
Start somewhere new.

I understand I'm in the minority for liking Genisys and Salvation, but the thing is, credits teaser aside, I never thought Genisys even needed a continuation. In this timeline, for all intents and purposes, Skynet/Genisys is stopped, and Sarah and Reese get to live out their lives peacefully (in a way, the lack of a Genisys continuation kind of adds to this). The reason why I can't get miffed about any Terminator reboot (as opposed to, say, Alien 5 being set to overright Alien 3/Resurrection) is that the series is based on the concept of multiple timelines.

IamLEAM1983 said:
I agree there. Nothing about Terminator dictates that Arnie has to be the titular Terminator. It was iffy enough in T2, that a model 101 just HAPPENS to be the model sent back, but fine, I'll buy it. T3 had to contrive it again, making the John of the future look like an idiot. In Salvation, I thought it was well done though - we get to see Arnie be a villain again, and if that's the first T-800 ever deployed, then model 101 makes sense to be the first one seen (if the model line actually starts there or something). In Genisys, things get really silly though.

Darth_Payn said:
I saw that. It was terrible.

I mean, seriously, the premise is that some muscle guy doesn't like a utopian future, so goes back in time to kill a person who plays some role in creating said utopian future, when the entire premise of said utopian future is that it comes across naturally through the development of technology at a more steady pace? I mean, he is right that the series kind of just forgot Blythe Dyson exists, but even so, the entire premise is nonensical.
Because I never thought the 3rd movie was that bad, infact its the least bad movie of the post Judgement Day Terminator moives.