Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Because I never thought the 3rd movie was that bad, infact its the least bad movie of the post Judgement Day Terminator moives.
If you're going to quote me, could you please just do it for the actual quote rather than do it wholesale?

As for that, well, different opinions and all that. On some level, Rise of the Machines is arguably better made than Salvation or Genisys. On the other hand, not only is it basically a retread of T2 (and an uninspired one at that), but it also basically undercuts the entire theme of the series - Judgement Day was inevitable, the future IS written, everything in T2 was a waste of time, etc. Salvation at least tried to be its own thing, and while Genisys does retread a lot of ground, it does so in a way that's relevant to the plot.

For me, it's a case of T2>T1>T5>T4>T3, with a clear jump in quality between the first two films and the other three.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Because I never thought the 3rd movie was that bad, infact its the least bad movie of the post Judgement Day Terminator moives.
If you're going to quote me, could you please just do it for the actual quote rather than do it wholesale?
Its really hard to edit out all the quotes you made without making a mistake in the post.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BuildsLegos said:
Hopefully, he'll take this opportunity to set it entirely in the future as planned before the budget changed his mind, with or without the Conner characters.
I would love to see a Terminator film set in the Machine War.

But it would have to be properly set in the Machine War, not Salvation's take where the Humans apparently have nuclear submarines, airfields and enough fuel and supplies to have standing patrols of A-10s just flying around the desert for no good reason.

2 hours of Kyle Reece's nightmares from T1 given life (although whether Reece or Connor are even in it is open to debate). Also with a proper rating, Terminator doesn't work in PG13.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I honestly just wanted them to continue where Terminator Salvation left off. Mainly because I liked that film back then and preferred seeing more of the future and seeing it conclude with a closed loop. But hey, I can't always get everything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
fix-the-spade said:
BuildsLegos said:
Hopefully, he'll take this opportunity to set it entirely in the future as planned before the budget changed his mind, with or without the Conner characters.
I would love to see a Terminator film set in the Machine War.

But it would have to be properly set in the Machine War, not Salvation's take where the Humans apparently have nuclear submarines, airfields and enough fuel and supplies to have standing patrols of A-10s just flying around the desert for no good reason.

2 hours of Kyle Reece's nightmares from T1 given life (although whether Reece or Connor are even in it is open to debate). Also with a proper rating, Terminator doesn't work in PG13.
I'd like to see one set AFTER the war for once, get some idea of how humanity is trying to rebuild after the war has ended and what happens to the now leaderless machines many of which are capable of developing independent thought if they don't have it already. In fact, I'd love to see an open world video game based around the concept (made by Bethesda or maybe CD Projekt naturally).

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
At this point we don't know if Cameron's new movie will be a full reboot, starting everything over from scratch, or simply another installment in the franchise.
So maybe not use "REBOOT" as headline? Especially since it really seems that few people read past headlines anymore.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
Wat?

The hell happened to the last reboot?
It kinda Bombed...Hard.

As someone who works in a cinema (UK) Genysis didn't sell a lot at all.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Buizel91 said:
It kinda Bombed...Hard.

As someone who works in a cinema (UK) Genysis didn't sell a lot at all.
Actually Genisys didn't bomb really, it made 440 million dollars worldwide (and that's just the theatrical release) the only one of the Terminator movies that made more money was Terminator 2. It's just that the production and marketing budget was too high for it to break even despite that. It really shows just how insane movie budgets have become when 440 million dollars isn't considered a smashing success.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Why won't they just let it rest? Terminator movies haven't been critical successes since the 90s, and Genisys bombed. Plus, the whole franchise is inseparably linked to Schwarzenegger, who isn't really that up to snuff in being an action star anymore. Can't we get a new franchise? I'd like to see that happen for once: instead of sticking a franchise name on a movie (like with Prometheus), you make a reboot movie in a franchise, and then take the label off. Wouldn't that be something?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So we had a Robocop reboot and now we are going to get a Terminator reboot.... is their any chance that we could just get a movie in which these two go head to head. I mean really could it be any worse than doing bad reboots of once great movies?

Nazriel

Apr 4, 2010
Quellist said:
Yes because what we really need this year is yet another reboot of a franchise that's already a craptacular mess...I think i'd rather see Paul Blart 3!
I know emotions are running high but please let's not jump off the deep end of sanity! :D

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
KissingSunlight said:
I can't decide which one I want to see less. A movie adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog or another Terminator movie.

Terminator is on the top of my list of movies that they need to stop making sequels for. Alien is a close second.
Amen. I'm of the (unpopular) opnion that both Aliens and T2: Judgement Day were wholly unnecessary films.

Honestly, just give up on both franchises. The RoboCop and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage. What are the odds this will be any good?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Chewster said:
KissingSunlight said:
I can't decide which one I want to see less. A movie adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog or another Terminator movie.

Terminator is on the top of my list of movies that they need to stop making sequels for. Alien is a close second.
Amen. I'm of the (unpopular) opnion that both Aliens and T2: Judgement Day were wholly unnecessary films.

Honestly, just give up on both franchises. The RoboCop and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage. What are the odds this will be any good?
Unneccessary,.Yes. Damned Entertaining. Hell Yeah. But I think the problem is, we've entered a revisionist period of films. The whole. Put an end to the war thing. Hah. Yeah. that's what he says now. 600mill at the domestic box office later and oh look, we have a not sequal spin off that follows the aftermath of the first, with references t and perhaps the characters. But it's still not a sequel.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
bartholen said:
Plus, the whole franchise is inseparably linked to Schwarzenegger, who isn't really that up to snuff in being an action star anymore.
I agree with the latter, but not the former. The series isn't dependent on the same model of Terminator constantly turning up - T2 at least makes it relevant to the plot, T3 needs to contrive an explanation, T4, it actually works, T5, it's just getting silly. I mean, what, they can replace the actors for Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese, but Model 101 is irreplacable?

Chewster said:
Don't think that's too unpopular. Neither of those films needed sequels - most sequels are inherantly unneeded. Still, most would agree that those sequels are at least good.

Chewster said:
...and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage.
But I liked the reboot, even more than the original. :(

I suppose the original is superior, only just, because the reboot takes its cues from it (and the original is far more ambiguous as to whether it's real or not), but the original also has an insane amount of cheese to cut through.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
No, stop. The damage has already been done.

As far as I'm concerned there are no terminators after T2.

Mar 30, 2010
Makes sense. The whole premise of the Terminator franchise is based around time travel to influence the past (present) in order to change the present (future), so technically speaking each film causes a reboot of the timeline. I may disagree with the attempts of many directors to 'reboot' my old favourites, but in the context of the Terminator films reboots are actually a valid method of advancing the canon.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Grouchy Imp said:
Makes sense. The whole premise of the Terminator franchise is based around time travel to influence the past (present) in order to change the present (future), so technically speaking each film causes a reboot of the timeline.
Y'know, I attempted to put the timelines together to either argue for or against Genisys being the one film that can't grow out of altered timelines, but then I read http://ew.com/article/2015/06/30/terminator-genisys-franchise-timeline-explained/ and...dear god, my nose is bleeding. I mean, I like Salvation, and would have been fine with a 'future war trilogy' that gave John/Kate/whomever is left a happy ending.* I liked Genisys, and didn't feel it needed a sequel, that Genisys was its own thing in its own timeline. But right now, I'm kind of wishing that Cameron just ended T2 with the cut ending so I wouldn't get headaches from this. :(

I think what's really telling is that time travel in the series went from a last ditch effort by Skynet (implied, if not outright stated in T1) to the point where in Sarah Connor Chronicles, time travel is done willy nilly by both sides, and even in T3, we can assume that by postponing JD, and with the T-850 killing John in 2032, the future was actually made worse, and victory no longer guaranteed. It kind of makes sense, if we assume that Skynet builds off more advanced 2000s technology rather than 1990s technology (which is actually a plot point in a 'quiet horror' moment in Genisys, how Skynet, if activated, will have access to T-1000 technology from the outset). So, yeah. Maybe a reboot is needed. Reboot, make it take place in a completely different multiverse, and end the story so airtightly that it can't have post-Cameron nonsense.

*A happy ending as in, if I was to pitch two films to follow Salvation, T5 would be basically everything leading up to the point where the T-800/Reese/Uncle Bob/T-1000 are sent back, and T6 would be a final victory over Skynet in 2032, where John isn't killed by the T-850, but still sends it back to deal with the T-X. The series is thus completed, John and Kate live happily ever after, and a loop stabilized.