Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Hawki said:
Chewster said:
Amen. I'm of the (unpopular) opnion that both Aliens and T2: Judgement Day were wholly unnecessary films.
Don't think that's too unpopular. Neither of those films needed sequels - most sequels are inherantly unneeded. Still, most would agree that those sequels are at least good.
I don't disagree that they were entertaining but both were such tonal shifts from the originals that I found it hard to take them seriously. They didn't add much of anything to the mythology of either franchise (and in the case of T2 didn't even make any sense from the time travel standpoint) but yes, entertaining.

It's the classic Hollywood move: more sequels, less original IPs because original IPs are too risky. Which why we get a never ending stream of reboots, and probably will never stop until Hollywood's ego becomes so bloated that it collapses in on itself like a nuclear bomb made of smugness. And cocaine.

I don't even really get worked up about it any more. 'Cause Hollywood dun give a fuck anyway. Like a Honey Badger. Made of smugness and cocaine.

Hawki said:
Chewster said:
...and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage.
But I liked the reboot, even more than the original. :(

I suppose the original is superior, only just, because the reboot takes its cues from it (and the original is far more ambiguous as to whether it's real or not), but the original also has an insane amount of cheese to cut through.
I'll give you that the original Total Recall's satire wasn't as biting as Verhoeven's other stuff like RoboCop or Starship Troopers. It's cheesy as hell, for sure. And in fairness to you, the Total Recall reboot had a lot more going for it than the RoboCop one. At least Total Recall (2012) had some interesting cinematography and some epic set pieces. But still. Arnie. And that [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuCiiRDpbCk"(title,target)]face[/URL].

Maybe I'll go watch the reboot again.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chewster said:
=

I don't disagree that they were entertaining but both were such tonal shifts from the originals that I found it hard to take them seriously. They didn't add much of anything to the mythology of either franchise (and in the case of T2 didn't even make any sense from the time travel standpoint) but yes, entertaining.
To each their own, but there's one thing I'll say, and that I strongly disagree with the notion of them adding nothing to the mythology. Aliens effectively provides the template to the whole Alien universe, as a lot of the film is dedicated to worldbuilding. Likewise, the events of T2 pretty much shake up the entire space-time continuum. In contrast, Alien, while a solid film, does nothing in the way of mythology, only that we know that humanity has FTL travel, that the xenomorphs and Space Jockeys exist/existed, and...that's it. The film isn't poorer for not having a wide mythology, but the setting as a whole benefits from what Aliens provides.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Hawki said:
Chewster said:
=

To each their own, but there's one thing I'll say, and that I strongly disagree with the notion of them adding nothing to the mythology. Aliens effectively provides the template to the whole Alien universe, as a lot of the film is dedicated to worldbuilding. Likewise, the events of T2 pretty much shake up the entire space-time continuum. In contrast, Alien, while a solid film, does nothing in the way of mythology, only that we know that humanity has FTL travel, that the xenomorphs and Space Jockeys exist/existed, and...that's it. The film isn't poorer for not having a wide mythology, but the setting as a whole benefits from what Aliens provides.
I'll admit it's been a good while since I've seen Aliens so I could be forgetting some stuff but the only thing they seemed to reenforce was that Weyland-Yutani is a horrible, profiteering corporation that neglects its people, sacrifices lives and is only in it for themselves. But we already had a good idea about that from Ash's actions toward saving the xenomorph and from Brett and Parker complaining about their shares in the company and whatnot. The weasely exec Burke in Aliens was such an utter caricature you could predict his behavior from moment one. We didn't get much more on where the aliens come from or what happened to the Pilot, which I guess we're getting to now with these prequels (don't get me started on Prometheus). I don't know. Maybe I'm forgetting something. I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you.

Still, that exoskeleton bit and the introduction of the xenomorph queen, so there is that. Pretty badass. It's a fun action film but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the claustrophobic first one.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chewster said:
I'll admit it's been a good while since I've seen Aliens so I could be forgetting some stuff but the only thing they seemed to reenforce was that Weyland-Yutani is a horrible, profiteering corporation that neglects its people, sacrifices lives and is only in it for themselves. But we already had a good idea about that from Ash's actions toward saving the xenomorph and from Brett and Parker complaining about their shares in the company and whatnot. The weasely exec Burke in Aliens was such an utter caricature you could predict his behavior from moment one. We didn't get much more on where the aliens come from or what happened to the Pilot, which I guess we're getting to now with these prequels (don't get me started on Prometheus). I don't know. Maybe I'm forgetting something. I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you.
I'm more referring to the sense of humanity being a space-faring civilization. Terraforming is possible, we have a reasonable approximation of how efficient their space travel is (more efficient than Alien at least), an idea of how a 22nd military operates (USCMC, etc.). It's more a case of Aliens providing the template for works to build off on it, but Aliens does give a peak at a larger universe, while Alien, by design, is more claustraphobic.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Another one? Wasn't Genesys yet another attempt at rebooting the franchise?

One has to admire the stubborn attempts of people involved to turn Terminator back into relevance. It has to be up there with Sonic the Hedgehog...