Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
And I thought America was full of sensationalist demagogues.
No, they take many shapes and forms. Thing is, I didn't think that propaganda still worked in this day and age.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
It's funny, because in Modern Warfare 2, you're a pawn and not the guy planning.

Either way, what a load of bollocks.

WiMoTj

Feb 13, 2010
"In Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2, the highest selling media product of all time, gamers plot terror attacks against civilians."
Wow, they must've REALLY researched that one. They don't even know the correct title!

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I note that all these Anti-gaming studies come from Australia. I suspect Mr. Atkinson's involvement. The Australian Government seems almost Fascistic in it's loathing of video games at the moment.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
Proteus214 said:
I smell the wretched stench of agenda-driven research.
sniff..sniff....
you know... i smell it too
been wondering where that stench was coming from

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
This report was brought to you by Philip Morris International.

Are ya smokin' yet?! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7XImuoNgJo&]

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
"Psychologists say regular exposure to games like these actually rewires a child's brain, making them more amenable to violence,"

Regular exposure to statements like this make me more amenable to violence. Why doesn't Micheal Atkinson just go for a nice, long swim off the coast?

At least now it's okay to smoke. Because if I've played games this long and I've never assaulted anybody or even fired a shot in anger, then I'm certainly not going to get cancer from smoking.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I'm just waiting for the Imperial Mage to raise Frederic Wertham from the dead to be Atkinson's little undead Renfield.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Assuming any of this wasn't complete bullshit, what does any of it have to do with implementing an R18+ rating? The R18+ rating issue is about the rights of ADULTS to play violent video games, not children.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Video games compared to smoking? Ak mrph jt... What?! So there are more video gamers doing violent crimes than there are smokers suffering from lung cancer? According to this, I should have killed someone by now and stuffed their body in a box! Or performed unethical genetic experiments on animals to give them superpowers!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
When are all these old tards going to drop dead?
They've been talking about this so much and with a lot of effort that you'd think at least one of them would've suffered a stroke or something by now.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm confused, weren't there multiple studies that proved the EXACT opposite? And those reports were probably more legitimate then this one.

Nov 28, 2007
BlueTomfoolery said:
somedude98 said:
"JIMMY come here!"
"What dad?"
"WHAT IS THIS!"
"Dad seriously thats not mine, i was holding it for a friend."
"You bring grand theft auto into MY house, MY HOUSE! Do you have any idea how bad these are for you, i dont care if its yours, you have GTA in your possession, i want you to get rid of this RIGHT NOW!"
"Im sorry dad i swear youl never see it again"
"Sorry isnt good enough, i want you to take 3 of these packs, go up to your room and think about what you did."
"I learned playing GTA from YOU, Dad!"

Parents who play videogames have children who play videogames.
That is definitely among the funniest things I've read on this site. Congratulations.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
"Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2" Just made me laugh and laugh and laugh. Nothing else to say, these people have their heads higher up their butts than... I don't know, something with its head really far up its butt.