Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Yey, now we gamers are more bad ass (or should i say dangerous?) then both bikers and cigarettes!

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
/Sigh.

Not much I can say apart from this:

Journeythroughhell said:
Yay for Modern Warfare: Call Of Duty 2.
Also, Australian report? Is anyone taking that seriously?
Knowing the people in here..... yes.

deadaim6

Jul 3, 2009
I was interested. Till I read, "An Australian news report." Lost all credibility afterwards.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
A general rebuttal towards media perceptions of gaming as a new 'sin':

You know what? You're entitled to your opinions. If you say games are destroying our youth and breeding armies of disenchanted, psychotic killing machines, go out and say so. Our industry is an amalgamation of numerous companies selling vastly different products, some designed to deliver cheap thrills, others to push the boundaries of storytelling, interaction and moral choices but to name a few, some of which make half a billion dollars in their first week of release.

The only industries that have that kind of financial clout are the true world-changers - Arms, Tobacco, that sort of thing. What would you rather have you son come home with, a gun, a pack of smokes or a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV? Even if you truly believe in your heart that we purvey sick, twisted filth, could you honestly say we were any worse in terms of damaging quality of life than these other giants of industry?

Guns are made expressly to kill. Cigarettes are made and sold with the goal of addiction in mind, in full knowledge that this addiction will likely end in a premature death or crippling disease. Games are designed to entertain. They may go about achieving those goals in gratuitously violent, obscene, even disturbing ways, but the intention to cause literal harm against the player is non-existent.

So, please, feel free to yammer and cry your eyes out over the so-called destruction of our youth, throw as much mud as you see fit. Just remember, at the end of the day, amongst the giants of industry, supplying us with our cars that kill and maim millions every year, our cigarettes that slowly crush the life out of people hopelessly addicted to a substance harder to quit than most other hard drugs, our weapons that find ever more inventive ways to kill people for reasons that never seem right after the act, at least you can sit down with a dumb little game, ignore the horrors of the world for a few hours, and try to have fun.

Regards,

The Informed Opinion

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Razel Davies said:
If they're findings are so clear, why aren't they published in peer-reviewed journals rather than the general media?
Simple answer; it's not real science at all and completely goes against the vast amount of research on this subject that already exists.
These forms of media just love sensationalism, they need it to sell in this multi-media world. As soon as they die, we'll be left with new media that can afford to actually check things out and question sources. Much like the above piece.
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say this, something a bit more constructive than "Michael Atkinson sucks".

I would really like to read that "study", but since it outright contradicts existing research, I doubt it's very well done.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Similar things were said about rock music, comic books, and tons of other things. At least nobody is trying to say that video games encourage suicide... yet.

However, this shouldn't surprise anyone. The tactics are the same ones we've already seen used politically, and right now there is nobody to balance it since the games industry is not involved in producing it's own research to officially counter these claims and have it broadcast.

On a lot of levels it's very much a one sided battle.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
"In Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2 (sic), the highest selling media product of all time, gamers plot terror attacks against civilians."
Yeah, I love when then take something like this out of context. All this proves is they haven't played the game and have no idea what is going on. Isn't this the same type of crap they tried with comic books in the 50's? Heavy metal music, well, pick whatever time metal was the devil in the room? All these people do is make the case for people that already agree with their own form of retardation. Gotta love yellow journalism.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Sounds like Austrailia has its own version of Fox News there.

EDIT: And everyone else, thinks so too in fact I've inadvertantly quoted someone almost exactly. But if they're a news agency they have no political power so they can just be ignored like Fox News, nothing to get worked up about.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
I only trust Canada for my gaming news. Good old, unbiased Canada. If it's Australian and relates to games, I am going to be skeptical.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What the hell is going on today? Has Australia just been churning out anti gaming propaganda in the past week?

Theres this, and then there is their new "addiction", scale. Can we just skip ahead to the part where the Aussie government imposes a ban on all uncensored media, and then the population revolts?

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
You know, I read that being an anti- video game politician in Australia causes gingivitis, baldness, and cranial explosion, and these effects are greater than the effects of the moon on the tides.

What do you mean, "cite sources"?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Proteus214 said:
I smell the wretched stench of agenda-driven research.
I thinking you are giving them a bit too much credit even calling it Research, just entirely unfounded statements.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Only in america, wait.... what?
What happened Austraila, you use to be cool!