Report: Internet Explorer 9 Doesn't Suck

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Report: Internet Explorer 9 Doesn't Suck

An independent study found that IE9 vastly outperforms other browsers in repelling malware.

Many people like to hate on Microsoft for the bloated mess that its browser became in the mid 2000s. The decline of Internet Explorer led to a resurgence in competitors not seen by Microsoft since Netscape Navigator. Many PC users left IE in droves for the greener pastures of Firefox, Opera or Chrome (my personal favorite). With the rise of malware installed by unwitting people clicking on bad links, however, perhaps it's time to run back to Microsoft. A study run by NSS Labs called "Web Browser Security: Socially-Engineered Malware Protection" compared Safari 5, Chrome 12, Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 4 and Opera 11. Out of all the latest versions of the most common browsers, NSS Labs found IE9 protected users against 99.2 percent of all possible attacks from malicious links. The runner up was Chrome, which only protected against 13.2 percent.

That's a huge jump, people. 99.2% is way higher than 13.2%. I mean, it just is.

"European and American users have found themselves particular targets of malware authors over the last 12 months. North America has consistently been the primary host of malicious URLs, while users in Asia have been victims of the greatest number of malicious URLs," the report reads. "IE9 with SmartScreen offers the best protection of any browser against socially engineered malware."

While that almost sounds like a marketing spiel from Microsoft, NSS Labs' testing seems legitimately independent: "This report was produced as part of NSS Labs' independent testing information services. Leading vendors were invited to participate fully at no cost, and NSS Labs received no vendor funding to produce this report."

The report also seemed vigorous, testing the browsers for a full 14 days each before collating all of the data.

I know, I'm as amazed as you are. I use Chrome because of its easy features and small UI footprint and I know not to click on random links that might look suspicious, but if you have a grandmother or Auntie Sue who can't make such a judgement call, you could do a lot worse than making sure their laptop is running the most updated version of Internet Explorer.

I ... I can't believe I just said that.

Source: NSS Labs [https://www.nsslabs.com/assets/noreg-reports/2011/nss%20labs_q3_2011_browsersem%20GLOBAL-FINAL.pdf]

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
but if you have a grandmother or Auntie Sue who can't make such a judgement call, you could do a lot worse than making sure their laptop is running the most updated version of Internet Explorer
Gotcha. So in other words, time to recommend IE to my dad, who gets like, 15 viruses a week, and can 'never figure out why'. Uh huh.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Well this is a pleasant surprise.

But I'm not leaving my Foxy. Nu uh. *cuddles Firefox* >.>

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Seeing as how that study is out-dated already (Firefox 6? OHYEAH!), I don't think there is much to this...
Sure IE does not suck as it did when I gave up on it, but I won't go back..
Too many feelings were hurt.

My heart was in pieces when you left, and she was there for me!

Yeah.. I'm tired..
Recap: I don't care what the NSS Labs came to in their study. I refuse IE.

spasicle

Nov 9, 2009
NSS labs is the same company that said internet explorer 8 stopped 2 to 4 times as many viruses as other browsers back in 2009. I think this report needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Edit for clarification: The 2009 IE8 study was found to be grossly skewed in IE's favor and they wouldn't release specific data for peer review about the study, only the results.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They'd need to send me a whore-a-day to get me to start using Internet Explorer.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
If you don't click on dodgy shit, and you have a decent antivirus, it doesn't particularly matter. I'll stick with the others for their speed.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Firefox 4!? That's way out-of-date we are on FF6 now.

Still, the add-ons for IE9 just suck. Good for testing but bad for every day usage.

Rafael Dera

Aug 24, 2010
They should have also tested using the various ad-blocking plugins available (firefox - chrome); curious to see how that would compare.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010

Reports coming in from around globe. Pigs have taken to the skies, and hell has started a ski resort.

Regardless, I will stick with Firefox, thank you very much. It doesn't crash every 5 minutes and slow down at every available opportunity like a certain other browser...

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Is this because most malware is designed specially to exploit IE, so most other browsers don't have to worry about it? That just seems like such a bizarre study.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
A study run by NSS Labs called "Web Browser Security: Socially-Engineered Malware Protection" compared Safari 5, Chrome 12, Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 4 and Opera 11.
Hold up. I just checked and my up-to-date version of Chrome is version 13. And I checked Firefox for updates (don't use it much anymore) and it's now on version 6. I can't really take this study seriously if they're going to use older versions of other browsers for this test. Of course older browser versions aren't as protected, they don't get as many updates as the newest version if they get any at all. This study reeks of "we just wanted to make Internet Explorer look good".

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Meh, I'm quite happy using Pale Moon. It's fast and has a reasonably customisable UI that contains everything I want, where I want it.

The only reason I have any other browsers installed (and I do have Chrome and IE9 on here) is if I want to develop anything web oriented that I want to be compatible across as many browsers as possible.