Report: Nintendo Switch Isn't as Powerful as a PS4

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
Laggyteabag said:
Im also not really sure what market this thing is even aimed at.
The spontaneous rooftop party demographic, duh.
And don't forget:
The street ball players who would rather stop their game of real basketball to awkwardly huddle around the center of the court to play low fidelity digital basketball.
The over-acting 20-somethings in the back of a cab who have a nostalgic yearning for something they never actually experienced as children.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
As much as I didn't expect Nintendo to put out the most powerful console of this generation, they're entering the next gen years before the competition with a console that's less powerful than the current one. That being said, its more due to the Wii U failing than the need for a new console generation in general.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
Kibeth41 said:
Except, we're not.
If we weren't, then why aren't games like Overwatch or CS:GO all low res games?
Because people like good graphics AND good gameplay.

You do realize that there are plenty of great games that have superb graphics and gameplay that's as fun as Nintendo games right? I never got the frankly poorly though out argument of "games aren't all about graphics". Its usually used to state that games that focus on graphics sacrifice gameplay when that's not even remotely accurate in today's gaming market.There are more games than ever before, and a LOT of the games with great graphics are still insanely fun to play.

I get that Nintendo doesn't have to have the most powerful console out to show that games can be fun, but when the competition (which hasn't all but ruined its relationship with 3rd party publishers) has consoles with libraries of great games that look great, play great, sound great, and have great stories, the "but graphics don't matter" argument just comes off as kind of smug and condescending to any gamer have any kind of judgement on a 9th generation console not being as powerful as the 4 year old current 8th generation.

It does not help you to dismiss the fact that all consoles game games that play great. Nintendo isn't the only company capable of making games with awesome gameplay. We're also talking about a form of entertainment that's in the tech industry, which has always been about what technical boundaries can be pushed.

The power of the console isn't just about how good the games will look. It also has a lot to do with *spoiler alert*, how well a game plays. It means that whatever 3rd party games that show up on the Switch won't look as good or play as good as other consoles/PC. Other than 1st party games and this handheld console gimmick, the Nintendo Switch is going to appeal to Nintendo fans and not anyone else.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
If you think of this as the sequel to the 3DS and not the Wii U, it being less powerful at the benefit of hooking up to a tv and being handheld simultaneously is an agreeable proposition.

Now, do we know if this thing is gonna be region locked or not? That is the only thing I care for. Graphics plateud in the ps3 era already, now we live or die on unique artstyles such as what makes games like Okami or Darkest Dungeon visually appealing without requiring Crysis 3 level technology to do so. You don't need a more powerful system than that for most things and even VR is going for ps3 era visuals and considers them decent enough.

What is an issue is wether we have to abide by Nintendo of America and their censorious motherfuckery or not.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Guffe said:
But I can't see a way in which the consoles can use any/all hardware either, since that would just mean they are normal PCs.
They wouldn't. You'd need to have a nVidia 1080 video card (for example) designed for each different console. I am sure nVidia is planning the celebration party in anticipation for all that extra work.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
It's just overly evident that graphics aren't the most important thing to gamers.
On Steam, Witcher 3 has almost 80,00 OP reviews. A cursory examination of the reviews all praise the games graphics. 7 Days has less than half that, and they are only VP. From the reviews of 7 I did read, almost none praise it's graphics. Bethesda's Doom, 20,000 VP, the reviews I read all mention how good the game looks. So it would seem that graphics are far more important to gamers than you may realize or be willing to admit.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Jesus christ, how many times do we need to do the speculation with this thing? Let January happen first, THEN we can yell at Nintendo.

I don?t see Nintendo?s strategy as a risk,? said Peddie. ?Too many pundits and fan boys and investors make a serious mistake when they try to compare and contrast Nintendo with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has a niche in the affordable, accessible product, and performance is never a leading criteria for them. It is gameplay and immersion. They are never a technology pioneer. Trying to compare Nintendo to Sony is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Corvette. It?s a facetious and fallacious analogy and a discredit to fans who love Nintendo.?
- Taken from the linked article

I feel like everyone forgets this. I always have to ask the same question of "What on Earth did you guys expect?"

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
008Zulu said:
Steven Bogos said:
the publisher wants to replace the failing Wii U and because it wants to strike quickly with its hybrid concept before a competitor can introduce a better product.
Wow. Just wow.

That'd be a new low for Nintendo. Maybe if Nintendo didn't insist on "leaking" all the information about the system so early on, they wouldn't have to bring some half-assed product to market.
They never learn. How has the early launch of the Wii U served them? Everyone ignored it and waited for the PS4/Xbone. They Dreamcast-ed themselves.

Instead of competing on merit, they try desperately to "cheat" their way to victory. /smh

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Also, what is "80,00"?
That was meant to be 80,000.

The point I was making that you seem to have missed, was that there are a lot of people who think graphics are important.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Because people like good graphics AND good gameplay.
If the console can't do modern games at a playable rate, where's the incentive to buy?
Plenty of games on consoles are, but I'm a PC gamer mainly so what's your argument there?

Dec 16, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
snip- their target demographic is largely made up of kids too young to know what a good game and a bad game is and are replaced constantly with new kids.
I'd have thought their demographic was filled with the nostalgia eyed middleaged

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Plenty of games on consoles are, but I'm a PC gamer mainly so what's your argument there?
That the Switch won't find mainstream acceptance if it can't do what other platforms can.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Plus, your argument falls apart when less graphically crisp, yet aesthetically stylized games like Okami, Zelda, Journey and Overwatch are all capable of running on the Switch.
I would very much like to know your sources for all these games (Zelda has already been shown), that they are on or can be run on Switch.

And people praising a games graphics is flawed evidence of graphics not being important? You will also need to explain the logic behind your argument.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
That the Switch won't find mainstream acceptance if it can't do what other platforms can.
It won't because of its gimmick and Nintendo's severely damaged 3rd party relationships. Just like the Wii U.