Report: PewDiePie YouTube Series Cancelled Due to Anti-Semitic Posts

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
To think a youtube empire was burned over 5 bucks. /s

All seriousness, this is actually kinda hilarious. Not only from Disney overreacting over a joke, but from PewDiePie actually going through with something like this considering his fame.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Xan Krieger said:
It's funny when a company founded by an anti-semite gets upset because someone else makes a joke. If they hate anti-semites that bad they should scrub their history of Walt Disney.
Right, because trying to do no present or future harm is immediately invalidated if 70 years ago the owner was a bigot. Fuck ever trying to right past wrongs; Disney might as well start a regular "kill all the Jews" segment on the Disney Channel.

There is a concept that involves recognizing one's mistakes in the past then moving on the make the future better.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Avnger said:
Xan Krieger said:
It's funny when a company founded by an anti-semite gets upset because someone else makes a joke. If they hate anti-semites that bad they should scrub their history of Walt Disney.
Right, because trying to do no present or future harm is immediately invalidated if 70 years ago the owner was a bigot. Fuck ever trying to right past wrongs; Disney might as well start a regular "kill all the Jews" segment on the Disney Channel.

There is a concept that involves recognizing one's mistakes in the past then moving on the make the future better.
Do they or do they not keep talking about him? Talk about the current owners, never mention the past one.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I guess PewDiePie will now just have to settle for the several boatloads of money he used to make before he got his own show.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Xan Krieger said:
Avnger said:
Xan Krieger said:

Do they or do they not keep talking about him? Talk about the current owners, never mention the past one.
Um Walt? Yes, he does get brought up semi-regularly when talking about his past accomplishments. However, being an anti-semite isn't one of the things that they promote as a positive quality of his. No one is perfect. Martin Luther King Jr. was really sexist; that doesn't invalidate the good things that he gave to society. President Kennedy was well known to cheat on his wife, but it's not brought up every single time he is mentioned because his accomplishments as president overshadow those issues.

The anti-semitism of Walt Disney is treated the same as King's sexism and Kennedy's philandering. It's not often brought up because every person has their flaws. The good things they contribute to the world as their legacy matter more. However, their histories haven't been "erased;" the indiscretions of those three men are common knowledge to this day.

edit: Left a sentence unfinished. Brain fart. Time for bed.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Oh, for a second I thought Pewds was actually being an anti-semite.

Turns out he was just shitposting and Disney took it the wrong way. Fuckin' whoops!
Not sure what they were expecting from a Youtuber who's catchphrase used to be screaming "rape", but whatver. I'm hoping he's able to clear it up a bit and this doesn't effect him too negatively. I'd hate for Youtube of all places to start getting all homogenized and junk.

Deathfish15 said:
There's got to be some undertone antisemitic feeling from PewDiePie if he's going to make those kind of jokes without emotional sympathy or understanding. Especially when this is a REPEAT ISSUE on his channel over other past videos. This means that the feeling of antisemitism is there in his blood.
Or he's a shithead that thinks he's funnier that he is and "Jews are bad" is one of the easiest offensive jokes ever.

Source - A shithead that thinks he's funnier than he is... and also hates the Welsh, but that's neither here nor there.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Deathfish15 said:
Company reflected PR. When the guy looks like an antisemitic as a Disney employee, then too does Disney look antisemitic.

There's got to be some undertone antisemitic feeling from PewDiePie if he's going to make those kind of jokes without emotional sympathy or understanding. Especially when this is a REPEAT ISSUE on his channel over other past videos. This means that the feeling of antisemitism is there in his blood.
You can't be serious. It's just stupid jokes. He's trolling the media since he knows that if he does something outrageous, they'll report on it without proper context. They take everything so damn seriously these days so he's trying to get under their skin. People really need a better sense of priorities as to what's actually worth getting worked up over. This is not.

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
Ok, first off, the clip of Felix in a nazi outfit looking at a Hitler record was taken straight from a video of his called "I'm racist?!" where he mocks the fact that so many people take his jokes out of context as direct controversial statements. Well, good job exactly proving his point and taking the hilariously obvious bait, Wall Street Journal, to any sensible person who actually looks up the context of the claims in your articles, you just made complete and utter fools of yourselves.
Plus the "Death to all Jews" banner's full quote read "Death to all jews, love Fiverr", the joke here being that Felix makes it seem like it was Fiverr's statement, not his. I'd still say it was rather distasteful and that he went a bit too far, but once again, context matters and the butt of this joke was Fiverr, not the jews.

Secondly, has any actual jew come out and said that this was genuinely, truly offensive to them, or is this another case of people being offended on the behalf of others? The only one I know of who's made a direct statement on this situation is H3h3, who thought that these "anti-semitic" videos were hilarious and not offensive at all (although I personally think that H3h3's an opportunistic git who leaps onto whatever the current big controversy is, so I'd take his videos with a heavy pinch of salt). Whatever the case, you must acknowledge that everybody reacts differently to taboo-breaking jokes like this, and claiming that Felix's videos are insulting to each and every jew of the world is just straight-up wrong.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh boy, more sensationalist claptrap courtesy of the mainstream media! Stop the presses, an e-celeb DID SOMETHING EDGY ON THE INTERNET!

I normally don't give a flying fuck about teh Pewds, but the fallout over such a non-issue is all kinds of stupid.

Y'know, if major outlets decided to cover actual news stories instead (*cough*StandingRock*cough*) we'd all be much better off.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Gibbagobba said:
Deathfish15 said:
Company reflected PR. When the guy looks like an antisemitic as a Disney employee, then too does Disney look antisemitic.

You can't be serious. It's just stupid jokes. He's trolling the media since he knows that if he does something outrageous, they'll report on it without proper context. They take everything so damn seriously these days so he's trying to get under their skin. People really need a better sense of priorities as to what's actually worth getting worked up over. This is not.
Even so, if Disney look at this and decide that keeping this shithead on is more trouble than its worth then they'll drop him quick smart. Pew can still go on YouTube and fling his shit while speaking straight from the brainstem to his heart's content but the House of Mouse is in no way obligated to pay him to do it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
I doubt people even knew that, TB, Angry joe and epic rap battles (and that's all I know because they publicly announced it) are owned by Disney via a subsidiary they took over a few years ago.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It mentions that 9 of his videos contained the anti-semitic stuff, so I doubt this decision just came out of the blue. While normally I'd respect someone sticking to their guns and making what they want, these jokes just seemed in poor taste. That said, I'm not sure what anyone expected when the guy made a living off of screaming at bad games and making rape jokes.

I don't think he's actually anti-semitic or anything like that, just that he sometimes makes jokes in poor taste.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Gibbagobba said:
Deathfish15 said:

Even so, if Disney look at this and decide that keeping this shithead on is more trouble than its worth then they'll drop him quick smart. Pew can still go on YouTube and fling his shit while speaking straight from the brainstem to his heart's content but the House of Mouse is in no way obligated to pay him to do it.
Absolutely they can, not gonna argue with you on that. What's pissing me off about all of this however, is the narrative being thrown around by the garbage excuses for news outlets that PewDiePie is actually a real Nazi just because he made some stupid jokes about them. It's really no different than idiots who fall for articles posted by the Onion. Imagine if we were all as humorless or had as little self-awareness as these hacks.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
And now people will rush to defend the poor (poor? more like superrich) special snowflake who is not allowed to make hate jokes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nature Guardian said:
And now people will rush to defend the poor (poor? more like superrich) special snowflake who is not allowed to make hate jokes.
I know, right? It's ridiculous.

The dude made jokes that were in incredibly poor taste. I don't blame Disney at all for noping the fuck out of there. Not wanting to be associated with that brand of comedy as a company like Disney makes sense. PewDiePie will have to go at it alone, and we all know that'll barely be a problem.

I mean, damn people, why are we even arguing about this? Sheesh. Pewds will be fine.

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
Cowabungaa said:
Nature Guardian said:
I know, right? It's ridiculous.

The dude made jokes that were in incredibly poor taste. I don't blame Disney at all for noping the fuck out of there. Not wanting to be associated with that brand of comedy as a company like Disney makes sense. PewDiePie will have to go at it alone, and we all know that'll barely be a problem.

I mean, damn people, why are we even arguing about this? Sheesh. Pewds will be fine.
That's not what we're arguing against, I'm perfectly fine with Disney dropping Felix, it's entirely within their rights. The issue (which is in the very headline of this article, easy to miss I know) is that a news site falsely accused him of being a legit nazi, which already has been debunked several times in this thread.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Petter Jonsson said:
That's not what we're arguing against, I'm perfectly fine with Disney dropping Felix, it's entirely within their rights. The issue (which is in the very headline of this article, easy to miss I know) is that a news site falsely accused him of being a legit nazi, which already has been debunked several times in this thread.
False gossip about a celebrity? There's a lot of things I can get mad about or that surprises me, that's not one of them any more.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This was a targeted smear.

Essential talking points from the video, the three Wall Street Journal "reporters"...

And Steven, id like to thank you for not publishing a virtue-signalling opinion peice, the absence of such articles on the Escapist is the main reason im still here.

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
Cowabungaa said:
Petter Jonsson said:
False gossip about a celebrity? There's a lot of things I can get mad about or that surprises me, that's not one of them any more.
Fair enough, but I don't see how that justifies the slander, or why it'd be wrong of people to defend him.