Report: PS4 Outselling Xbox One 3-to-1

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Well PS4 has much less of that Orwellian design quality that I never really cared for so it makes sense.

But in honesty, as I live in Japan the Xbox is beyond pointless here... even the 360... Ironically, though even the PS4 gets a little bit shafted in terms of content here which is surprising.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Here's my question:
WHY?

There's nothing exclusive on the system that could warrants this kind of massive buying to me.
Same goes for the Xbone.

I ADORE my PS2, love my PS1, and really enjoy my PS3...
But none of the systems, at launch, were anything more than 'nice toys with a high price'.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Well, nothing surprising here. The system is based around being a game system, sold cheaper, equivalent power, and without the massive dickatry involved with microsoft and the xbone's massive flip flop campaign. Just on that reason also, it is no surprise gamers decided to choose the more stable and reliable option when the choice was presented (and exclusives weren't a determining factor).

Still, the systems aren't exceptionally aged and neither has had the massive quintessential defining games for their system. That ps4 is "winning" now is a nice cathartic result from microsoft's campaign of screw ups, but I doubt it will mean much in the long run. Hell, in spite of how badly Sony has been spanking them, I can only hope that microsoft at least learns a little from not reaching the massive profits they want to reach rather then they actually be punished with financial failure to force the lesson home and prove the market really can dictate positive changes. It simply is not likely microsoft's less then opposition sales is going to mean anything much in the long haul.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Honestly I thought Xbox One might see a pick up in sales thanks to the price change. Not only that but the removal of the camera as well. With those two factors out of the way one would think there would be an increase. Seems not. Still like someone said "Shipped" isn't the same as "Sales" With more games around the corner and the holiday season fast approaching both systems will see some activity.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I probably won't buy either (Might get a PS4 if it gets games I want), but I'm kind of glad. Microsoft went all in on stupid things and now they will have to pay for those choices.

Vault101 said:
I know I shouldn't care about the petty squables of concole sales...

....but this pleases me...
The consoles will have their revenge by ruining (franchise you love).

gamegod25 said:
And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.
Almost all the figures we get are units shipped, not the sell through. This is true for consoles, games, whatever. Because once that happens, they're paid for and Microsoft/Sony/EA/(company you love) has their money. The obvious exception is Digital Distribution figures, but that's not only not on point it's kind of impossible for a console itself.

Edit: Forget I said that. I missed that the report actually said "sold through" for the PS units. Usually, the figures for both are "sold," which literally just means that they shipped to retailers.
My point is that selling/shipping units to retailers is not the same as actually sold to customers. The way they present the numbers is to imply the latter, normally to make it sound like it is selling well. Sure they may have shipped 1.1 million units combined but the number of actually sold may be much less. That both numbers include both current and last gen consoles doesn't help make it any easier to measure how well the PS4 and Xbone are selling respectively.

But even taking all that into account that number is still pretty pitiful for MS.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I'd like to see the Xbox One succeed. They didn't show up to E3 with a bunch of zombie games like Sony. They showed up with stuff that looked fun.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
So, in how many countries is the xbone available? Because I think that might have helped with that number.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
People were queing up like that to play last gen games at kind of 1080p sometimes and watch netflix?

People are strange.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
hickwarrior said:
So, in how many countries is the xbone available? Because I think that might have helped with that number.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/xbox-one-by-americans-for-americans.jpg

considering that was basically how it was marketed outside the US, i doubt it is doing well. Game Industry News ran a story on how it was getting stomped in Europe, Asia and Oceania(Aus and NZ)

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
hickwarrior said:
Still only in those countries, when it actually launch in 2013, at least as far as I know. In my country (Poland), it's going to enter the market this Fall. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work like, since there aren't that much exclusives on XBO, and whoever wanted a new console had an entire year to buy PS4. I only know one person, who actually bought PS4 but is going to sell it, and buy XBO when it comes out. The rest doesn't care. Congratulations Microsoft. Your business strategy was a great success, once again.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Yossarian1507 said:
hickwarrior said:
Still only in those countries, when it actually launch in 2013, at least as far as I know. In my country (Poland), it's going to enter the market this Fall. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work like, since there aren't that much exclusives on XBO, and whoever wanted a new console had an entire year to buy PS4. I only know one person, who actually bought PS4 but is going to sell it, and buy XBO when it comes out. The rest doesn't care. Congratulations Microsoft. Your business strategy was a great success, once again.
That makes it easier for me to get a PS4 then... Seriously, why stagger the release like this in the first place? That's one of the dumbest moves you could've done. Pretty sure everyone could've seen that. Maybe it had to do with the DRM in the first place? *sighs*

Then again, I never cared for the xbox brand to begin with.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
StewShearer said:
Granted, this sort of spectacle is nothing new. Waiting in long lines to get a shiny new console is almost a gaming ritual at this point.
Speak for yourself. Standing in line for the newest videogames/consoles seems to be an American thing only. I can't say I've ever stood in line for a new release, I simply just walk in the store and buy it. :)

It's remarkable though that this is all thanks to that one Microsoft conference, because neither console has a killer app, they're priced the same, and while the Xbone is a bit weaker I'm sure most people aren't even be aware of this. It's still the first year though -- the PS3 showed how things can turn around, but it was 200 bucks more expensive and about a year late. If the Xbone is already falling behind for no reason...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tanis said:
Here's my question:
WHY?

There's nothing exclusive on the system that could warrants this kind of massive buying to me.
Same goes for the Xbone.
It's not just exclusives that sell games though, multi plats shift units and they all look best on the PS4.

Battlefield? Looks better and runs faster on PS4.
Call of Duty? Better on PS4.
Fifa, UFC, even freaking LEGO games? Yup, all noticeably smoother and sharper on the PS4.

If people are buying these things for Call of Duty or Fifa (which they surely are) they're going to want the best version of it, that's the PS4 one. My local GAME has the PS4 and Xbone demo units sat next to each other on identical screens (big 40in Panasonic things), it doesn't do the Xbone any favours to be sat running the same game next to a PS4 like that, people really do notice the difference.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
3-1 isnt that great when you realize that the PS4 sold in more territories (52) than the XB1 (18) since day of release (figures are from what i remember, so maybe a bit out). Anyway, its good to see Sony doing well because if the PS4 failed, they said there would be no PS5. An you cant have a next gen without a new playstation as the PS1 was the console that got me into gaming on a console (never much cared about Sega or Nintendo consoles).

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
gamegod25 said:
And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.
Shipped IS the same as sold for them. They can neither control nor confirm the amount of units sold to consumers, let alone the units that are stolen before the sale (that happens.) Ofc, there is a way to do it. A forced online connection to NSA HQ to validate the unit in order to use it.

VG industry does the same thing, well, did. The publisher does not really care if the sold game ends up in a bargain bin or not, their sale was to the retailer.

The numbers here do speak most of the truth, which is that PS4 does outsell the Xbone. However, due to the nature of retail, the stores will have larger stocks of the PS4, thus the percentage of units sold to units shipped might be lower than that of the Xbone.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
The power of making a wanker out of yourself the first moment you bring something out. Yup it does this, though the xbox one looks allot less a jerk then it did in the begin. The damage is kinda done and well yeah it is a repeat of what happened to Sony with the PS3.

The Xbox One is not a terrible console it just lost the PR war by its own doing. And it now will have to deal with being not first. Geeh sounds like the PS3 doesn't it!

I remember buying the PS3 at launch at yes way to expensive. And I remember waiting and waiting and waiting, this could take a while. All the while the Xbox 360 was getting some pretty neat titles. But hey I already put my money in the PS3.

Back to now, I have not even a WiiU, ha. And you know how funny that is the WiiU actually has quite a bunch of good games. That might actually become my first "next gen" console this round. It is a good thing to wait really and see what is going to happen.

In the end it stays games make or break the console. And what is needed is enough good games then the problems are well over. I haven't decided yet what console is for me and I don't really feel I need to yet. I got my PS3 games to keep me busy. I might buy a WiiU because it really is getting good. And the question Xbox One or PS4, well future will tell.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
hickwarrior said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
3-1 isnt that great when you realize that the PS4 sold in more territories (52) than the XB1 (18) since day of release (figures are from what i remember, so maybe a bit out). Anyway, its good to see Sony doing well because if the PS4 failed, they said there would be no PS5. An you cant have a next gen without a new playstation as the PS1 was the console that got me into gaming on a console (never much cared about Sega or Nintendo consoles).
Well, let's look at the North American sales numbers. PS4 has sold a total of 4.1 million units in North America, according to VGChartz. Xbox One has sold 3.41 million units. Now, this may sound like it proves your point, but looking at how the PS3 and 360 sold historically, that would undermine the argument. PS3 sold 28.57 million units in North America compared to 360's 47.27 million units. Once you look at the European numbers, it's a much more stark 3.1 compared to 1.21 million units, which is in line with the sales of PS3 and 360 (32.98 Million versus 25.23 million).

One of the few countries I know Xbox One is not available that PS4 is is Japan. However, Japan has never really cared for the Xbox brand at all which is probably why they still haven't launched there yet.

Now, last I checked, Xbox One is only available in 13 countries versus 48 countries. However, this represents a failure in Microsoft's business plan. Half the reason the 360 did so well was that it had a solid year head-start. However, they have basically surrendered that advantage to Sony all over the world. Considering that we're a year into this generation and they still haven't made the system available in more countries speaks volumes about ill prepared they were.

Basically, you both have a point, but it only shows how bad Microsoft has mismanaged this generation. Especially considering how PS4 is dominating the one market that the Xbox was the clear winner in last generation. Should also note that the Wii U is also winning over the Xbox One, selling almost 2 million more units worldwide.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ylla said:
Vault101 said:
I know I shouldn't care about the petty squables of concole sales...

....but this pleases me...
2 billion dollars of revenue. SOOO PITTYYYYYYY
If it cost them $2 billion or more to get that revenue I would pity them. Revenue (like most things you'll find in a set of financial statements) are meaningless on their own.