Report: Xbox One More Popular Than PS4 on Black Friday

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I can certainly confirm that at my store, the Assassin's Creed XBone bundle was the most popular console sold during the first 12 or so hours of Black Friday. I think that the 360 bundle (Blops 2 and Ghosts) was the second most popular.

Atmos Duality said:
Hmm. I wonder if the Xbones sold were Kinect 2.0 bundled or free of that worthless add-on.
I can pretty much guarantee (again, at my store) that not a one was sold.

Shit, I don't think any were sold (with or without the system) during my entire time working at that store. I know several PS4 cameras were, but no Kinects.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Revolutionary said:
I guess it's all the peasants choosing what's best for playing the cross platform titles.
Now why you got to go use words like that... You know what road that leads down :(

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Like others have said it's not really a surprise. MS has been slashing the price of the Xbone, dropping Kinect, and throwing in games in desperation to get people to buy the damn thing. People saw a deal and went for it, that's all.

Honestly though no amount of price slashing and bundled games will win me over, they shat the bed too hard this console cycle.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It's simple, the Xbox1 just had a better black friday deal. As a person who actually bought a PS4 on black friday, the deals were absolutely abysmal, I got lucky when I found a PS4 for $300. Even then I'm still probably going to be sitting on my hands until Bloodborne because out of the exclusives of Knack, Infamous, and Killzone only Infamous midly interests me.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Yeah, Sony kind of screwed themselves by not having a major new mass-market game bundle for the holiday season. Microsoft had both Unity and Advanced Warfare bundles, which makes buying a gift for someone who wants those AND a new console a lot simpler.
Microsoft's been slashing costs and released some good games (Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection) and got associated with popular brands. Meanwhile, Sony's falling into the same habits as last gen, by not budging on price and being sure of their victory in a new console generation.
Honestly, I'm surprised Sony didn't have an earlier price cut/deeper sales to compensate for that, and I'm curious to see how the consoles fair worldwide after the holiday season.
Consumers go where the best deal is. And with the consoles being VERY similar right now, price matters.

I just want a Persona 5 branded PS4 at this point. Not some really cool white one that comes with a mediocre game.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Ticklefist said:
An Xbox One is what I'd get. If I want graphics I'll just buy a PC game. If I want console games the Xbox One is the only option.
Oh cool! That's new. Can I ask why you feel that way? What games are winning you over? Xbox isn't even on my radar so I'm kinda curious. Where I live they barely sell the thing, much less the games for it.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
considering this site seems to be a haven for nintendo apologists, i'm not surprised that nobody has really mentioned the death knell for the Wii U that this chart is.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
What's more surprising to me is that the Xbox 360 sold more than the PS3.. considering the 360 doesn't have a new release window past feb next year, and the PS3 has the longest list of upcoming releases of any console (current and last gen).

Microsoft is known to drop support for their older console pretty much immediately, and we are already seeing that, I don't think we will see another 360 exclusive again, Sony on the other hand have a history of supporting their last generation for years and years, and the PS3 does not look like an exception, there are at least 10 PS3 (or PS3/PSV) exclusives announced (plus full 3rd-party multi plat support) and upcoming, and I expect there to be many more.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
considering this site seems to be a haven for nintendo apologists, i'm not surprised that nobody has really mentioned the death knell for the Wii U that this chart is.
Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, there is no death knell, nobody mentions it because of how stupid it is to talk doom and gloom for Nintendo.

Wii U console sales were up 233% with the release of Mario Kart 8.. we haven't yet received sales numbers for October or November yet, which I imagine were up similar sales percentages with the releases of Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and most importantly, Smash Bros.

Plus the Amiibos are another big draw for Nintendo at the moment, I am actually surprised how popular they are, all the JB HiFi stores in my region are sold out of every figure except donkey kong, mario, and pikachu.

Just to clarify:

Console sales (current gen)
First place - Sony
Second place - Nintendo
Third Place - Microsoft

Company worth
First place - Microsoft
Second place - Nintendo
Third place - Sony

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
That's because everyone already has the PS4....
That's pretty much the size of it. The whole thread ended in one post.

Revolutionary said:
The fact that the PS4 has sold so many units mystifies me, I guess it's all the peasants choosing what's best for playing the cross platform titles.
I find this comment along with your handle here very ironic.

But seriously, starting up a console war is a bad idea. Nothing gets proven or resolved and nobody wins, plus the added bonus that the companies don't even care. so, why bother?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Whatislove said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, there is no death knell, nobody mentions it because of how stupid it is to talk doom and gloom for Nintendo.

Wii U console sales were up 233% with the release of Mario Kart 8.. we haven't yet received sales numbers for October or November yet, which I imagine were up similar sales percentages with the releases of Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and most importantly, Smash Bros.

Plus the Amiibos are another big draw for Nintendo at the moment, I am actually surprised how popular they are, all the JB HiFi stores in my region are sold out of every figure except donkey kong, mario, and pikachu.

Just to clarify:

First place - Sony
Second place - Nintendo
Third Place - Microsoft

Company worth
First place - Microsoft
Second place - Nintendo
Third place - Sony
so, just a quick search gave me this chart

and you're right, nintendo outsold xbox... by such an embarrassingly small margin for a console that came out A FULL YEAR ahead of the other two.

along with this are these following problems facing the company.

1. Out of touch.
www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131421-Updated-Nintendo-Considering-Smartphone-Games-Restructuring
www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124066-Nintendo-Suddenly-Claims-Ownership-Of-Many-YouTube-Videos

2. Huge Losses in revenue since the initial appeal of the original Wii wore off and people realized they'd bought a paperweight
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131774-Nintendo-CEO-Taking-Huge-Pay-Reduction-Due-to-the-Wii-U
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131419-Nintendo-Makes-Major-Reductions-in-Wii-U-3DS-Sales-Projections

3. Notoriously hard to work with if you're 3rd party.

4. re-releasing new hardware every few months

you know, i don't really wanna keep going, because it's not going to change anything. the truth is though, that nintendo has been on the decline for awhile now, and are being held afloat only by the willingness of their base to buy the same game over and over again for the past 25 years. but that won't last forever. you'd have to be ignoring the news stories posted on this very site to not see that. and yes, they showed increases after opening up in china but has since gone back down to its average.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
NiPah said:
Atmos Duality said:
Apart from that, it looks like the two horse race to utter mediocrity just got closer. Woo hoo?
Man, people shit more on games here then main stream news channels.

I almost miss hearing the ramblings of Jack Thompson, at least he was less depressing to listen to.

Escapist man... When did it become to anti-games?
Snarky derision has always been easier than genuine affection. It's why Yahtzee is popular, it's why Jim is popular. And, if we're honest, those guys are funny. "Snark" is funny and fun to indulge in once in a while. Plus, it's less likely that you'll be let down if you just assume everything sucks and wait for surprises rather than hoping things will be great only to be proven wrong.

Trust me on this one. I'm an optimist by design rather than choice. I wish I could snark it up and be all cynical. But when I'm truly honest, I'm usually hoping for the best from everything. And because of that, I'm constantly being deflated when things let me down. It's a drag, but we all have our cross to bear.

This year alone has been a terrible year to be saddled with optimism as a character trait (flaw). Master Chief Collection, InFamous: Second Son, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny... all games I had high hopes for and all of them had something about them that let me down. Some were obvious flaws, some were my own unmeetable expectations, and some turned a perfectly good shooter into an MMO.
Dangit, I just wanted to whine at someone complaining about current consoles and you have to inject maturity and logic into it...

I'm actually quite similar to you, the eternal optimist till death do us part, however I find more often then not I'm finding enjoyment and satisfaction from games touted as failures. Destiny would be a great example of this, yes it had flaws, but until GTA5 NG came out I was playing it pretty much non-stop, sure I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed in the lack of story and end game content, but god I'll remember wandering around the open levels doing repeating patrol missions with my friend fondly for years to come (hell the only time I think about Destiny's failings are when I talk about it with other people).

A little bit of snark is always welcome, but when it's used so exclusively that it becomes the reality and not the punchline in a community then it becomes depressing. Sure games are going to be over hyped, heck I remember how depressed I was when I saw just how different Rage was on the SNES then it was in the arcade, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the little port that couldn't.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Doesn't that just mean that nobody thinks the Xbone is worth paying full price for?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Olrod said:
Doesn't that just mean that nobody thinks the Xbone is worth paying full price for?
Neither of the consoles are, although I wonder what the sales statistics where in the UK. Both the Xbone and the PS4 were between as low as £300 with one or no games and £350-400 with several games and/or accessories, so the price for the two of them were close.

£300 is about right for both of them, they are not worth any more than that.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
Whatislove said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

Just to clarify:

First place - Sony
Second place - Nintendo
Third Place - Microsoft

Company worth
First place - Microsoft
Second place - Nintendo
Third place - Sony
so, just a quick search gave me this chart

and you're right, nintendo outsold xbox... by such an embarrassingly small margin for a console that came out A FULL YEAR ahead of the other two.

along with this are these following problems facing the company.

1. Out of touch.
www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131421-Updated-Nintendo-Considering-Smartphone-Games-Restructuring
www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124066-Nintendo-Suddenly-Claims-Ownership-Of-Many-YouTube-Videos

2. Huge Losses in revenue since the initial appeal of the original Wii wore off and people realized they'd bought a paperweight
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131774-Nintendo-CEO-Taking-Huge-Pay-Reduction-Due-to-the-Wii-U
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131419-Nintendo-Makes-Major-Reductions-in-Wii-U-3DS-Sales-Projections

3. Notoriously hard to work with if you're 3rd party.

4. re-releasing new hardware every few months

you know, i don't really wanna keep going, because it's not going to change anything. the truth is though, that nintendo has been on the decline for awhile now, and are being held afloat only by the willingness of their base to buy the same game over and over again for the past 25 years. but that won't last forever. you'd have to be ignoring the news stories posted on this very site to not see that. and yes, they showed increases after opening up in china but has since gone back down to its average.
How old are those charts?

As of September 2014:

PS4: 11,447,553
Wii U: 7,354,623
Xbox One: 5,786,090

Then you linked 2 stories... one from MAY 2013, something they have already turned almost completely around, they have embraced youtube and competitive since that story was posted over a year and a half ago.

The mobile gaming thing was literally rumours, speculation, and nothing but "considerations" about expanding into the mobile market.. which would not be a bad idea.

Both of those stories, by the way, were BEFORE Nintendo posted a profit last quarter... Nintendo haven't "been on the decline for years".. they posted their FIRST EVER OPERATING LOSS IN THE HISTORY OF THE COMPANY in 2012, they posted their second ever loss in the history of the company in 2013, now they are back to profits, their operating losses, by the way, were some of the smallest in the history of the industry as a whole. Microsofts gaming division operated at an average of $1Bn a year losses for 7 years straight.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-makes-surprise-profit-pins-holiday-hopes-on-smash-bros/

Sony operated at 500 million to 1 billion dollar losses for 4 years straight.

Nintendo saw only a 224m loss in 2012, and just over 500m in 2013, before posting a profit in 2014.

Literally almost nothing you said makes any sense, if posting losses for 2 years in a row was "being in decline for awhile now" then you have some serious research to do on this industry, and indeed company financials in general. Previous to these 2 years of modest losses they had the highest selling home console, and portable console on the market (The wii outsold both Ps3 and x360 put together, the DS outsold everything).

They are a gaming only company with a higher worth ($18.3Bn) than the entirety of Sony ($17.9Bn) who makes big budget movies, phones, TVs etc etc.

"Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052." - UK Gamer

Nintendo are literally fine, the Wii U is selling slow, yes, but sales always skyrocket with new game releases and there are quite a few just released and around the corner. They will post a profit next quarter as well after Smash and Amiibo, and wouldn't be surprised if it was a huge profit.

3. is irrelevant, people buy Nintendo for strong 1st and 2nd party titles, not 3rd party, though they have embraced the indie developers.

4. is just stupid

Wii - 2006
Wii u - 2012

DS - 2004
DSi - 2008 (4 years)
3DS - feb 2011
New 3DS - nov 2014 (almost 4 years)

Releasing a side-grade handheld has ALWAYS been Nintendo's M.O, this goes all the way back to the Gameboy. Gameboy pocket, GBA SP, DSi... it's always a side-grade and it is usually to implement new technology for Nintendo's future plans. The New 3DS has NFC built in for example, this coincides with the big Amiibo push, and the improved 3D eye tracking technology was something they obviously had and didn't want to sit on for another 4 years.

I enjoy all gaming, from every company, I now have every current and most last gen consoles (PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS, Gamecube, X360, Xbox One) after adding a white sunset overdrive xbox one to my collection last week, I don't hate any company, the only company I tend to enjoy more than the others is Sony because I enjoy JRPGs. I'm not anyone's fanboy and I would just as quickly defend any of the 3 big companies financial situation if the need ever arose (and I have done in the case of Sony).

Nintendo is not in trouble, the Wii U is not a failure, Nintendo are here to stay.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
All very odd the amount of people talking about the Xbone being only console to buy due to exclusives, very odd indeed. These are the same people that whenever a thread comes up of a Xbone exclusive comes to PC come in and laugh at how stupid Microsoft are... maybe they are angry Nintendo and Sony don't do the same... maybe, people can be petty like that.

Revolutionary said:
The fact that the PS4 has sold so many units mystifies me, I guess it's all the peasants choosing what's best for playing the cross platform titles.
You think that does anything here?

All it does is draw attention to yourself and make people note down "Revolutionary is a ", but you already knew that. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UxtT6vpydZA/TTYtqKMi2DI/AAAAAAAADtU/Wmham2JMf8U/s400/th_AlbertoDelRio6.jpg

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
This really isn't a surprise, best bundles I found for each was the PS4 one listed which gave you 2 free games that anyone interested in playing would already own on previous gen consoles. But the Xbone was $70 dollars less, had Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Sunset Overdrive/Master Chief Collection, and a year of Live. So yeah I got the Xbone, and I got 3 games, two of which I wanted in the bundle, THEN found sales on Shadows of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition which brought the total paid up to $400 bucks.

So for most people no brainer, Xbone, 5 games, and free Gold Live for the same price as PS4 and 2 games.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
XB1 had the best deal of the 3, so no surprise really. PS4 had 2 remastered games and still cost the regular price of $399. WiiU had 4 games and was $349 or something. XB1 had a new Assassin's Creed game and arguably the best Assassin's Creed game in the franchise for $329. About 50% more than a new Xbox 360.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
J Tyran said:
Olrod said:
Neither of the consoles are, although I wonder what the sales statistics where in the UK. Both the Xbone and the PS4 were between as low as £300 with one or no games and £350-400 with several games and/or accessories, so the price for the two of them were close.

£300 is about right for both of them, they are not worth any more than that.
At £250 Ill jump ship. Until then my 360 will do just fine.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
$600AU for the Xbox One + Kinect, AC:BF and AC:U, new CoD, FIFA 15 and remastered Halo was enough to get me to move to current gen.