Repost your first Escapist post!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
First post, so please bear with me.

I've been lurking on this site for the last few months, reading the articles and getting a feel for the forums, and this topic seems to come up quite often. I'm old enough to remember the average used game costing between five and fifteen dollars, which also makes me old enough to remember something about the way games were priced back then; the price almost always dropped low enough that a new copy was competitive with a used one. Up until Gamestop bought out EB games, and gained a virtual monopoly over the used market, used games were cheap enough to make buying new right when they came out a bad idea unless you had the money and couldn't wait. However, I bought almost as many new games at the time as I did used, because publishers actually tried to compete with used prices.

Now, I don't mean that the prices for brand new games were significantly different -- actually, they've been pretty constant for at least twelve or thirteen years -- but even as recently as 2003 or so, games would be re-released in a heavily discounted form about a year after the initial release, assuming they did well enough to warrant it. I remember buying AAA PC games for $10 brand new, and PS1 and PS2 games for $15-20. Today, thanks to Gamestop's monopoly, and corporate greed on the whole, we no longer get these kinds of discounts. This is the real reason games are too expensive these days; there is no real competition from used games, and as a result, no reason to significantly cut the price over time.

TL;DR

Games are expensive now because without true competition from used games, the publishers no longer have any reason to cut prices.
Yeah, I have literally been hammering this crap since my first post. At least you can't accuse me of being inconsistent.

Edit: Oh, and the thread was titled "Are games too expensive?"

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
This topic keeps growing so I would like to expand on things already said. America is big, really really big. We have states bigger than a lot of countries. Each state has a different sales tax, and that sales tax is constantly changing. I live in California, sales tax central. But, not only is there a state sales tax but there are also city sales tax which like the states tax is constantly changing. Our stores consist of basically chain stores and that's it because no one else can compete. It would be a ridiculous amount of time and effort to update the changing price of city and state tax everytime it changes. In America when we buy something we'll usually have more cash than we need already, or if it's a big purchase most of us will use a credit card.

Can you imagine trying to find something obscure in one of these huge stores when 90% of the employees are going around fixing the number. The company is also lowering the costs on older products making more things to change.

tl;dr America is big, tax is always changing, silly to always update the price.
Someone was wondering why the USA doesn't include the tax in its marked price.

Dec 14, 2009
On a thread about how to make console controls better

I think my hands have held console controllers so long that they are completely ruined for any other activity. I remember wanting to learn how to play guitar, but nooooooooooo, my stupid hands were confused as hell.

Hands: "What?! No buttons! strings? what the hell is this!
Good times, good times.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Fiad said:
One from a friend

"What if fish ruled the world. They would have pet humans and keep them in tanks of air. Always tapping on the glass."
That is a strange first post.

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
This is so embarrassing:
Jak23 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I have control over my nostrils as in make the nostrils bigger (inflant). Apperantly the people who I have encounter can't do that.
I can too, I discovered this ability watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer... I was trying to make my nose glow.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Hmm... I wonder what it could be...

ThatLankyBastard said:
Lets see... Songs that make me happy...

Two Weeks- All That Remains
Heron Blue- Sun Kil Moon
Snuff- Slipknot
and Kill Rock 'n' Roll- System of a Down...

Strange playlist, but Im a strange person and these all make me happy...
Wow... I don't like any of those songs anymore!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Lies you were told as a child:

AngloDoom said:
I think my favourite was my father telling me that a certain button in the car was the ejector-seat in case of emergency. Then he stopped the car, hovered his finger over the button, and told me to cover my head for when I blast through the roof. I braced up, clenched my little teeth, and watched in embarrassment when he pressed the button and the car's window moved up a fraction.
That fuck, I forgot how bad he was.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
"Most hated type of fan"
I've never entirely liked any kind of obsessive fan. Although they may still be a perfectly reasonable person in all other ways, their obsession always annoys me to no end.

First of all: Yaoi fangirls and Yuri fanboys. See those two that are in completely heterosexual relationships? They're not gay. I don't have anything against those who happen to be homosexual, it's just the blatant disregard for the established facts that gets to me.

B: Fan Fiction writers. Do you have a good idea for a story? Then go write it. I don't care, as long as it uses proper grammar, with the exception of certain characters' particular idiosyncrasies. However, it's taking it a bit far to write established characters' personalities totally differently. Self insertion I can handle, too, as long as it's just a cameo or small role, but Mary Sues are going too far. Just cause you like him doesn't mean he's gonna dump his old girlfriend in a garbage disposal and change his outlook on life just to praise you all day. Kind of ties in with the above.

3: Haters. The ignorant and intolerant people who hate something and the people who like it and never did the research into it. For example, I play Team Fortress 2 a lot. I like it for its bright colors. I don't really like Modern Warfare 2 very much, though. It's too gritty. I don't, however, hate the people who play it a lot. It's the game that I don't like, not the fans of it! I try to stay as informed and as neutral as possible when describing why I don't like a certain game. I list the things that I like, and those that I don't. I can't STAND the people that take everything against their game like a death threat against themselves, their family and their pet dog and reply with the statement: "no ur gay".

It's the disregard and willing ignorance that gets to me. Anyways, I should probably stop here. I'm starting to rant.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Shotgun Guy said:
As Darth Vader said, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Haha, I was upset about Mass Effect 3 being Kinect enabled.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Fijiman said:
I have several WTF moments in Skyrim. First one is the time where I was chasing after a dragon only to find that it had been killed by bears who then proceeded to kill me. Then there was the time I was fighting a dragon and had gotten it down to what must have been one HP and was about to kill it when it all of a sudden chomped down on me and threw me fifty feet. However, my favorite has to be what happened yesterday. I was running to my house in Whiterun when I look up and see that the wall around the main gate had disappeared. I then proceed to leave Whiterun without technically leaving it and start running around. after a little bit I hit a point where I'm still running around but the ground around me disappears as I get close to it. After about ten minutes I spot a dragon about three miles away from Whiterun and go after it. While I still have to listen to the laws of physics, it is able to fly through the ground all around me until I get it's health down to a certain point where it then starts flying in small circle a certain distance away from me which it maintains no matter how close I try to get to it and also continues to do so even after I get rid of all its health. It doesn't actually die until I manage to lead it back to Whiterun where it lands and just falls over. All in all I've got to say it's one of the greatest thirty minute periods I've spent on Skyrim so far.
The thread was Great WTF moments in Skyrim and it's what finally got me to create an account on the Escapist.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Topic:
Poll: What hurts more: kicked in the balls or giving birth?

Posted: 20 April 2011 6:37 pm

My Response:
Well I haven't been kicked in the balls hard but think of it this way. When was the last time a guy asked for a kick in the balls? Does a woman ask to have another baby?

(present day)
Seriously though probably giving birth...

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
NpPro93 said:
definitely prince of persia.
it was trying to be shadow of the colossus and was failing like a fat kid trying to ride a unicycle.
The topic was about games with awful endings. The ending of 2008's Prince of Persia was just...terrible. And the game wasn't good to begin with (though it was certainly pretty), so it just went from bad to worse.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Erana said:
This whole thing comes to the classic, "Why is there never an 'In Order' sign?" thing combined with the internet.
Its like mashed potatoes and the Adkins diet. No one actually appreciates the quality of my good, homeade mashed 'taters, but bring in the whole Carb-counting thing and BAM! All potatoes are considered hellspawn, and my good, wholesome staple, (that should be limited in one's diet like any starchy food) becomes the target of all sorts of trash-talk.
At least with Yahtzee, he actually does acknowledge when food, er... a game is good.
Still making analogies about food and art history, years later...
I was hoping that I had changed more! ;-;

Wait....
"49) 27 February 2008 10:27 pm
Erana
Master Archivist

...I posted before I joined..?

Sweet JESUS I'M A TIME TRAVELER.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This is in reference to an R&P thread about how a group of students were told they couldn't wear their American flag t-shirts on Cinco De Mayo because it was upsetting a group of Mexican students who had wore their Mexican flag t-shirts on the same day.

I don't see how that shirt is offensive since I don't draw the conclusion that bring proud of being an American and being proud of one's Hispanic heritage are mutually exclusive and diametrically opposed.
No surprise, but I didn't think it was the first topic I ever commented on.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Zyst said:
Subbed, I simply can't stand most voice overs, besides there's sometimes miss-syncing and that kind of stuff.. I just prefer subs.
A post about what you prefer, subbing or dubbing in anime. This is actually fun.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Erana said:
Erana said:
This whole thing comes to the classic, "Why is there never an 'In Order' sign?" thing combined with the internet.
Its like mashed potatoes and the Adkins diet. No one actually appreciates the quality of my good, homeade mashed 'taters, but bring in the whole Carb-counting thing and BAM! All potatoes are considered hellspawn, and my good, wholesome staple, (that should be limited in one's diet like any starchy food) becomes the target of all sorts of trash-talk.
At least with Yahtzee, he actually does acknowledge when food, er... a game is good.
Still making analogies about food and art history, years later...
I was hoping that I had changed more! ;-;

Wait....
"49) 27 February 2008 10:27 pm
Erana
Master Archivist

...I posted before I joined..?

Sweet JESUS I'M A TIME TRAVELER.
AAAA
AAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
BUUURN THE WITCH!!

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Thread: Things to look forward to [in] 2012 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.337809-Poll-Things-to-look-forward-in-2012].

C F said:
> Mass Effect 3 (of course).
> Assassin's Creed 3 (sometime later this year).
> Despite the fact I'm not much of a movie person, the idea of a Phoenix Wright movie seems appealing.
> December twenty-second.
> Might as well add Ponies to the list.
> Many more weeks of Yahtzee.
Ah, a simple bullet-list.
I only joined a few weeks ago, so there's likely to be no noticeable change in my outlook, demeanor, or behavior.