Representation: it doesn't need to have a "point"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
it doesn't always need to have a point I should say

so what am I talking about in this sticky web of gender/SJW topics? well it takes a bit of explaining so if you'll humour me once again

[i/]for the sake of the argument lets put "marketing" aside, while relevant overall its not to my point[/i]

[I/]in this debate[/I] we often come across "stipulations" in regards to what people think good "representation" is or what it should be "no tokenism!" "good characters!" "make it relevant!" "treat with the love and tender care of a grandmasters magnum opus!"

and these are all good things! stories that feature the different experiences different kind of people have are great

[I/]however[/I] how "relevant" a "thing" (gender/race/sexuality) is to a story can and should vary...sometimes it might not be a "thing" at all

[b/]I don't get your point[/b]

what I'm trying to say here is when the discussion comes up people tend to talk about it in terms of very ridged "criteria" of what is and isn't good...this to me feels like people are saying "Unless its 100% relevant we shouldn't have "other" type characters in our games"

almost as if we should "default" to the "default"

and I think we all know what the "default" is thought to be (rhythms with wraith right rail)

I'm not saying this IS what people are saying, its just the impression I get. Were so obsessed with the idea of getting it "right" we don't look at the bigger picture.

People ask "if they're just avatars why does it matter?" <-to me it matters, I can't speak for others though, but my point is I'm [b/]I'm being asked for justification[/b] if it doesn't mater then it doesn't matter, don't ask me why it matters to play as a female and I wont ask why it maters to play as a male

[b/]I STILL don-[/b]

ok I want to talk about the Movie Edge of Tomorrow

[b/]I didn't see it[/b]

its a somewhat underrated sci fi flick staring Emily blunt and Tom cruise. She's your fairly typical "strong woman" and hes your fairly typical "white male protagonist" she's...(heh) "Blunt" tough and no nonsense, he's charming, a little green and tries to get himself out of frontline duty...it backfires spectacularly....they fight Aliens

now were going to Gender flip Tom Cruise....I'm going to be cliché and go with...Jennifer Lawrence, she can act and she's likeable....an important trait of toms character

[b/]are we gender flipping Blunts character?[/b]

nope

[b/]oh! lesbians!?[/b]
well much to my annoyance there was only one quick kiss between them in the film...but no, no outright lesbian implications

[b/]awwww :([/b]
I know but for the sake of this no lesbians, you'll have to make do with subtext

[b/]I ALWAYS make do with subtext :([/b]

aaaanyway

so we got a movie staring two women, both in high octane military fighting roles, they aren't romancing each other and there isn't some guy causing a triangle.

does this feel a bit odd?

[b/]....yeah...a little[/b]

and here's the thing...it shouldn't! there is no law saying that you can't have more than one woman in your thing, that you can't NOT have a romance, we immediately look for a "reason" but there isn't one

and yet for obvious reasons theres always the same archetypes at play

this is why gender-flipping is an interesting thought exercise, this is why "just write like you would a man and gender flip it" <-is simplistic yet important advice. By gender flipping what youre doing is saying "write a female character without any preconceptions of "women" both IRL and in fiction"

[b/]but developers/writers are terrified of creating female characters in case they get them "wrong" and garner criticism![/b]

and that brings me to something else "tokenism" much like the smurfette principle, you make one female character, you dust your hands and say "alright...I'm done"

tokenism doesn't just come from doing female characters "wrong" it comes from the fact that EVERYTHING rides on that one character, she can't be too feminine or butch or sissy or brave or mean or nice, she can play the role of the "team mum" the "killjoy" the "straight man" the "love interest" all at once

of coarse you never get her "right" not when she "carries the torch"....your damn right Lara Croft is going to be looked at with a magnifying glass and fine tooth comb...when she's one of the few PLAYABLE NON-OPTIONAL female characters in a AAA game were all going to hold our breath

you have more than one you can vary it...back to my example genderflipped tom cruise would have made a nice counter to Blunts more stone faces character

you know variation, the more women/whatever you have the more room you have to work with, you can make them flawed or dumb or mean or whatever. Thats why people love OITNB (yes its set in a woman's prison) there are ALL kinds of women in that show, not just one

[b/]so they have to now make their casts majority women?[/b]
no, nobody has to do anything

I'm saying we need to drop this idea the *cough*straight white male*cough* is the "default" and that any variation from that is automatically "inclusion for the sake of it" <-whatever the hell that is

it shouldn't be "weird" to have an all female ghost busters, it shouldn't be weird to have a gay main character who'd relationship with his boyfriend is about as relevant as any "kinda there" romance is a lot of works (I say boyfriend because we still seem squicked out by that)

I'm not saying we *have* to deviate from WSM I'm saying that any deviation is not always a "statement"

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
I completely agree. Honestly I'm shocked that these people think that you need an excuse to be anything other than a white heterosexual male.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
firebobm173 said:
I completely agree. Honestly I'm shocked that these people think that you need an excuse to be anything other than a white heterosexual male.
.....except if your a shark

seriously dude whats your excuse?

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
Vault101 said:
firebobm173 said:
.....except if your a shark

seriously dude whats your excuse?
But as a Great White shark I'm already a white dude. Check your terrestrial privilege man.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
firebobm173 said:
But as a Great White shark I'm already a white dude. Check your terrestrial privilege man.
you know dogs get a whole lot demonization too!? I'm actualy a multease cross Jack-russel

everybody LOVES german shepards and border collies and fucken Labradors...but small dogs? we're the annoying yappy things carted around in dumb blondes handbags! the only positive representation of a small dog I've seen is best in show!

at least sharks get to be badasses

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'd say the real kick to the groin with Edge of Tomorrow is that the fucking protagonist was originally an Asian man. Actually the whole cast in the novel was diverse. Just like to point out this is a novel, written in Japan. Yet someone in Hollywood just shouted "Nope, white-wash this *****!"

Anyway, ya don't need an excuse to include others. This argument can silence the people screaming that you need an excuse, but chances are most will ignore it and just keep shouting it. We've been surrounded by viscous cycles.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Elfgore said:
I'd say the real kick to the groin with Edge of Tomorrow is that the fucking protagonist was originally an Asian man. Actually the whole cast in the novel was diverse. Just like to point out this is a novel, written in Japan. Yet someone in Hollywood just shouted "Nope, white-wash this *****!"
that's usually par for the coarse with these kinds of adaptations/localisation

one thing I do like about it is isn't not overly America-centric

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
At least you're a mammal. Ever since Jaws people think that we're nothing more than bloodthirsty monsters. While we do devour the flesh of all who dare defy us, we have a soft side too. Hell, our skeletons are even made of cartilage!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well...yes...

OTOH, we all know that the default is the white male (who is also, straight, able-bodied etc). Someone not following this default is going to be very aware that they aren't.

Now, certainly, we shouldn't always stick to the default, but since we mostly do, not doing so is no small thing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thaluikhain said:
OTOH, we all know that the default is the white male (who is also, straight, able-bodied etc). Someone not following this default is going to be very aware that they aren't.
well context is important, a woman breaking gender convention in WW1 is going to get far less leeway than a woman doing a similar thing in an alternate/fantasy steampunk setting....you can definitely play around with It in the latter...but you've got more room than if you take the first setting...unlss you want to throw out any pretense of "realism' which is also ok

firebobm173 said:
At least you're a mammal. Ever since Jaws people think that we're nothing more than bloodthirsty monsters. While we do devour the flesh of all who dare defy us, we have a soft side too. Hell, our skeletons are even made of cartilage!
mmmmmmm....cartilage

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Well...yes...

Now, certainly, we shouldn't always stick to the default, but since we mostly do, not doing so is no small thing.
The thing is, it really is a small thing. All you're doing is changing someone's ethnicity or having a female character that's not there for somebody to fuck. It's the reaction to it that's huge.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Vault101 said:
thaluikhain said:
well context is important, a woman breaking gender convention in WW1 is going to get far less leeway than a woman doing a similar thing in an alternate/fantasy steampunk setting....you can definitely play around with It in the latter...but you've got more room than if you take the first setting...unlss you want to throw out any pretense of "realism' which is also ok
Not what I meant.

Doesn't matter if there is no reason why the default should be used, hell, even if there are reasons why it shouldn't. The default will tend to get used, and the author and audience will both be aware of this.

Going against this is always certainly going to be a deliberate act.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
@Vault101

I find this initial post to be a bit hard to follow, just an observation.

Now, about gender representation, tokenism, etc...

For a long time I "preach" the same stance which can be summed up as "Get of developers back and you will get what you want". Granted you will get much of what you don't want but that is just the fact of life. Now let me explain why I say that.

Where most of great female characters in games come from? In my experience, Japan.
Where most of worst female characters in games come from? In my experience, Japan.

and In my opinion that is because people of Japan don't give a crap. Not at all. There is sayig that goes something like "Samurai doesn't think about his wife when he goes into battle because samurai doesn't think about his wife" And while this is exaggeration it brings forth classic attitude about women in Japanese society. There never was feminist movement on scale of western world's one in Japan (well, in east Asia generally) to my knowledge. And women still have somewhat more restricted choices compared to western world although many are at the top of the power ladder (China is best, South Korea worst in this aspect to my knowledge). But in any case there is nobody with political power to tell them "right" way to do female characters.

That means freedom to create. That means not fearing the backlash if you try to create good female character and fail. That means ability to think about your creation without thinking of how "moral authorities" are going to see them.

So, from japan came Samus Aran but also came 15 years old girl that openly invited pirate captain for some humping (Tales of Fantasia). From them came Ivy Valentine but also Aya Brea.

They don't have cultural baggage and don't care about historical one. They don't have "No True Scotsman" mentality (there will always be a group that is lout about character being inappropriate) I think there is an important lesson to learn there.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
carnex said:
For a long time I "preach" the same stance which can be summed up as "Get of developers back and you will get what you want". Granted you will get much of what you don't want but that is just the fact of life. Now let me explain why I say that.
I think the extent to which "we" (whoever we are) are on the backs of develops is highly overstated...this strikes me as disingenuous

[quote/]Where most of great female characters in games come from? In my experience, Japan.
Where most of worst female characters in games come from? In my experience, Japan.[/quote]
Japan is an entirly different kettle of fish which I'm not going touch

its also irrelevant

[quote/]and In my opinion that is because people of Japan don't give a crap. [/quote]
how convenient that this example of how "Japan is doing it right" also aligns with a "dismissve" attitude

[quote/]That means freedom to create. That means not fearing the backlash if you try to create good female character and fail.
That means ability to think about your creation without thinking of how "moral authorities" are going to see them.[/quote]
*SIIIIIIIIGGGGHGHHHHHH*

how many times do I have to say it? your artistic freedom is safe, NO ONE changes the work except the artist OR the publisher (for fininacial reasons...because thats so much better)

I mean...I mean the amount of times...the amount of [i/]fucking[/i] times I just....
[img/]http://chezapocalypse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/105085_600.gif[/img]

[quote/] There never was feminist movement on scale of western world's one in Japan (well, in east Asia generally) to my knowledge[/quote]
dude...please don't bring your femenist baggage here..ok? It ain't the place for it, remember the rules!

[quote/]So, from japan came Samus Aran but also came 15 years old girl that openly invited pirate captain for some humping (Tales of Fantasia). From them came Ivy Valentine but also Aya Brea.[/quote]
I don't know the others but I do know as soon as they actually gave Samus a Voice and personality...you can call it "different cultures" or "personal taste" but I'm not always a fan of how japan approaches these things

[quote/]They don't have cultural baggage and don't care about historical one. They don't have "No True Scotsman" mentality (there will always be a group that is lout about character being inappropriate) I think there is an important lesson to learn there.[/quote]
no there isn't...because this is irrelevant to what I'm saying

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Vault101 said:
I just want to state that "you" wasn't meant to "other" people, it's just pore choice of words on my behalf.

Other than that, if you see what I wrote as irrelevant, than I have nothing to add. Have a nice discussion. I actually agree with what you are saying, I'm just proposing a road to the ultimate goal. Because people ARE afraid of not meeting criteria for certain character and getting paned over it. So it's easier to intentionally write crap one or not write one in the first place. In either case for them problem is solved and we are still standing in same spot where we don't want to be.

I thought that being free of that kind of scrutiny is important part to your message. The scrutiny that calls you out as "insert socially unacceptable attribute here" for not meting some arbitrary goals and/or standards.

P.S. Team NINJA didn't to anything to Samus Aran. They followed official story of character. It's in the manga form for decades. I don't understand why people want another carpet chewing ice queen heroine that has no personality? Yes, she has daddy issues, yes she got broken, but that is the part of her becoming mercenary that she is. Being nothing but carpet chewing ultimate badass with a rack is what made Lara Croft so boring so quickly.

(I didn't play the game Metroid Other M, I read up on it's story and also read just the manga's synopsis. Anything I wrote here is based on that. I did however payed 8bit and 16 bit home and portable metroids if that counts for anything)

Sorry, edited this total of 5 times due to typos and to try to explain what I mean.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I OBJECT!

"Wraith" does not rhyme with "straight".

You monster.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
carnex said:
P.S. Team NINJA didn't to anything to Samus Aran. They followed official story of character. It's in the manga form for decades. I don't understand why people want another carpet chewing ice queen heroine that has no personality? Yes, she has daddy issues, yes she got broken, but that is the part of her becoming mercenary that she is. Being nothing but carpet chewing ultimate badass with a rack is what made Lara Croft so boring so quickly.
1.Carpet chewing?

2. I know that it was the original story as wanted by the creator....I don't know if its directly based on the Manga (I saw parts of one many years ago) but that doesn't mean it was [i/]executed[/i] well

and again you don't have to go to extremes

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Vault101 said:
carnex said:
1.Carpet chewing?

2. I know that it was the original story as wanted by the creator....I don't know if its directly based on the Manga (I saw parts of one many years ago) but that doesn't mean it was [i/]executed[/i] well

and again you don't have to go to extremes
1) It's an expression I heard once used exactly for Lara Croft. Something like "try to present her as badass so much that she chews carpets instead of drinking tea". Somehow it got stuck in my mind for pure absurdity and I have grown to like it.

2) No it's not but at least they tried. Maybe next time they do better job with her or some other character.

I'll try not to.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
carnex said:
1) It's an expression I heard once used exactly for Lara Croft. Something like "try to present her as badass so much that she chews carpets instead of drinking tea". Somehow it got stuck in my mind for pure absurdity and I have grown to like it.
I still don't get it....is the carpet chewing referring to a derogatory statement aimed at lesbians?

or is it a variation of "chewing scenery" which....I wouldn't use to describe Lara or any "tough" female character?

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Vault101 said:
carnex said:
I still don't get it....is the carpet chewing referring to a derogatory statement aimed at lesbians? (also known as rug munchers)

or is it a variation of "chewing scenery" which....I wouldn't use to describe Lara or any "tough" female character?
How did that... i don't know how it got interpreted like that. Perhaps it's because that was from dismissive criticims of Tomb Raider The Last Revelation on how she turned from likable and even lightly flirting character from first game into character that has no character. Term was meant to be hyperbola of how she did everything in such extreme way in such extreme environments and with such forced means. Basically she didn't drink tea, she didn't even drink tea made of dirt, she directly chewed the dirty carpet.

I guess different times give different meanings to words. But I would never see it like that...