Republicans Luring Youths With Video Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Republicans Luring Youths With Video Games

What better way to get more kids into politics than by showing them that Republicans love Call of Duty?

At the ongoing Conservative Political Action Conference, Republicans had the idea this year to bring in the attention of a younger crowd by creating the XPAC Lounge. Geared towards "Xtreme Politically Active Conservatives" (yes, it really stands for that), the XPAC Lounge is filled with videogames, Power Bars, and uncomfortable 20-somethings that probably didn't realize what they wandered into.

The idea was developed by right-winger Kevin McCullough and actor Stephen Baldwin. Stephen Baldwin you might know from such films as Bio-Dome, while Kevin McCullough has a different kind of notoriety. McCullough is known for blogging about Mass Effect's publicized "sex" scenes, where he basically lied and described them as incredibly realistic interactive experiences, which was picked up on by a bunch of other idiots. It was a whole big thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80900-EA-Responds-to-Mass-Effect-Report-on-Fox-News].

He seems to have changed his tune on gaming, as he said of the XPAC Lounge earlier this week: "We're gonna have the most popular games. There'll be Guitar Hero. There'll be Dance Revolution. There'll be Call of Duty." Woah, awesome dude! I love games! Republicans love games too! This must mean I love Republicans!

The XPAC Lounge is reportedly equipped with Nintendo Wiis and Xbox 360s. 10 videogame stations are available, along with old-school games, air-hockey, and foosball. Don't even think it ends there, as a "rap/jam session" was apparently held last night, while a conservative comedy lineup is scheduled for today. I never knew conservatives were so xtreme!

It won't be all fun and games, though, as there will be politically-oriented speakers and suits wandering around the XPAC Lounge likely using hip talk and trying to be "down." The goal here is obviously to draw in a new, younger crowd that might not pay attention to politics otherwise, like the one that supported President Obama in the last election. I can appreciate what is trying to be done, though the methods seem xtremely heavy-handed. The luring in of college students to the CPAC through the XPAC Lounge is not unlike how a creep would lure a kid into a van with a new bike. The idea is pretty decent, though the execution is way off.

(Via: G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702650/Republicans-Attracting-The-Youth-Vote-With-Games.html])

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Well, another day another story about the GOP that makes me go WTF?

To be fair, I remember hearing something about this back in january '09. So it only took them a year to get from, "I think we should do something" to "how can we embarass ourselves more" or something.

EDIT: As an aside, when I first glanced at this story, I assumed there'd be something along the lines of a conservitive counterpart to Deus Ex, or the like. Which is, honestly something I could respect, if not enjoy. This just... I don't know, I think it broke my brain.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Awesome! Now that's the kind of politics I can get into. If only they did that sort of thing over here. Elections are so boring.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I dunno, I'd probably go. I bet they have free food too. Just smile and nod a bunch, then gorge yourself and play some games.

Good times.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I think it's the thought that counts. Not that the thought was noble either, but how exactly can they connect to today's youth? Underhanded and insincere is pretty much the definition of politics. Comparing it to Obama's campaign was deliciously ironic.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
if one of the games involves shooting glen becks I'll buy it.

in all seriousness, it's not that surprising. the republicans are the fastest shrinking political party, they need a way to lure unwitting youths.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
but.. but... but.... VIDYA GAMES ARE THE DEVIL!!! Why would they ever use something that's been proven, in their eyes, to create horrendous killing machines to attract attention to their campaigns...?

Oh, I get it.. they're trying to take out the democrats, with one crazed gamer at a time. Good thinkin, republicans.

Okay, on a serious note, this is a weird mix of awesome and lame at the same time. All the video games in the world won't get someone interested in their bullshit politics, but it's nice to see they're trying with violent video games like COD, despite all the bad press they get from politicians.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
I think it's the thought that counts. Not that the thought was noble either, but how exactly can they connect to today's youth? Underhanded and insincere is pretty much the definition of politics. Comparing it to Obama's campaign was deliciously ironic.
Ninja'd by this guy.

This just sounds like the parents trying to get down with their kids. Very lame but kinda cool at the same time.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The same ppl who bash videogames at every misstep or turn, using it to lure gamers into politics. My god these ppl really are EVIL.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
psrdirector said:
Considering how republicans lead the games are destroying our youth bandwagon, I find the hypocrisy of using games hilarious.
Same here but it makes me hate them even more for pulling a stunt like this.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I'd just like to point out that the "young people vote" is basically a myth. No greater number of 18-25 year-olds voted in the last election than in any other election. Most kids will never care about politics, and those that do probably won't vote anyway.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
psrdirector said:
Considering how republicans lead the games are destroying our youth bandwagon, I find the hypocrisy of using games hilarious.
It's really about equal. The Family Entertainment Protection Act, for example, was introduced by Senator Hillary Clinton, and co-sponsored by Senators Joe Lieberman, Tim Johnson and Evan Bayh, all democrats.

copperflyingace

Apr 12, 2009
*steps onto soapbox*
the amount of fail in the above comments make me want to puke. Not all republicans are "Vid'ya game" hating windbags. Only the loud annoying ones on TV are. Grow the fuck up and learn some tolerance.
/rant

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Does anyone else, feel all warm inside, from seeing politics going down in flames?
It's good to see them constantly retarding themselves.