Requirements for a gamer

GvidaZ

Dec 12, 2009
Right here your thoughts on goals a person should acompish if he is to dare call himself gamer
For example-play this game,beat this boss,kill these enemies,beat this level,know this game.
Do mind the console limitations...

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
To, uh... Play games?
I don't know I consider anyone who spends the majority of their spare time playing games is a gamer in my eyes.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
How about we just lose that fucking stupid nomenclature? Every time i hear someone use the word "gamer" it's either pejoratively by a non-gamer, or it's used smugly by a socially inept nerd. How about we ditch it?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well personally I don't get why anybody would call themselves a gamer, because it is awfully limiting, and it allows people to categorise them.

I would think of anybody who plays a game for their own entertainment a gamer. This includes any type of game. I do not include people who hop onto the Wii when round a friends house a gamer if they don't have any interest in playing games themselves, but are only doing it "while everyone else is".

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
(This is all in jest)
All day (16-24 hours) gaming session
Had at least one semester of schooling ruined by gaming
Have at least one game that you will defend to the death
Raged on at least one forum
Dropped an embarrassing amount money at an arcade when caught up in a game
Ended a friendship over something game related

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This brings up a question I have been pondering for a long time.
I think with the next console generation should come a Kill Tracker. Like an achivement/trophy thingy but with kills. Some old games tracked kills but not all of them. I have wondered for a while now how many kills in my career do I have and when and what was my one Millionth Kill?

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
You have to be the kind of person that thinks his/her preferred entertainment medium is their defining characteristic.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
You have to have a undeserving sense of pride for something that doesn't deserve it.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Instead of making a idea of what requirements a gamer needs, how about achievements? Such as...

Power Gamer- Play one game for over 16 hours in one stretch, with less than 10 minutes of inactivity.

Look! I have real friends!- Be invited to, and attend a LAN party.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Enjoy games, enjoy gaming culture *shrug*

I don't play games regularly but when I get something I like I certainly get wrapped up in it - and even when I'm not gaming much I'm participating on gaming forums and discussing the medium. And I consider myself a gamer.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Spend over an hour trying to convince the people around you that your better then them because you're so far in denial about not having any real skills that you convince youself you have the most important skills of all.

Most people who define themselves as gamers usually follow up with this.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
I made the transition from gamer to musicer and drawer a while ago, with some booking on the side.

In all seriousness, what does calling yourself a gamer mean? Most people have played a game at least once in their lives, and I'm counting board games for this. More if you include games made from random props and imagination.

It's a form of entertainment like any other. Why should you consider a home console to be any more unusual than a DVD player or a cable box? Why are games so different from a collection of books, movies, or CD's?

No one is a gamer, and everyone is a gamer. Whichever your preferred entertainment is shouldn't label you.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
(This is all in jest)
All day (16-24 hours) gaming session
Had at least one semester of schooling ruined by gaming
Have at least one game that you will defend to the death
Raged on at least one forum
Dropped an embarrassing amount money at an arcade when caught up in a game
Ended a friendship over something game related
And.... check.
wow, that can't be good.

OT: To be honest, if you want to identify yourself as a gamer (whatever that even means) then go for it. Personally, I'd identify myself as more of an all-round nerd than a gamer.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Requirements:
-Minimum of eight years experience in gaming.
-Master's in Gaming Enjoyment Studies strongly preferred.
-Three references from certified Gamers
-Critical thinking skills. Must be able to overcome obstacles and think dynamically.
-Ability to work with a team of dense AI

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Requirements of a gamer:

Play video games.

Although what DustyDrB has written above me is brilliant.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Required skills
-The ability to observe details and relate them to your current situation
-The willingness to read the instruction manual.
-Quick reflexes(not "Tweaked-on-Adreanaline" reflexes,mind you!)
-Having an adaptable strategy(genre dependant)
-Logical lines of thought
-Dynamic thought
-Lateral thought
-Suceptible to immersion

Nice to have skills
-Acceptance of outside help

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
The problem is that by such loose standards someone who plays farmville on occasion is technically a gamer. And I refuse to acknowledge farmville as a game.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
How about we just lose that fucking stupid nomenclature? Every time i hear someone use the word "gamer" it's either pejoratively by a non-gamer, or it's used smugly by a socially inept nerd. How about we ditch it?
Or it's a socially-inept nerd trying to wear yet another subculture costume our society has created over the past decade, much like the failures that were "emo" and "hardcore".