Requirements for a gamer

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
casual gamer- plays games for fun (plays sometimes)
gamer- plays games for fun (plays most days)
hardcore gamers- plays games for the challenge and to win (plays almost everyday)

It doesn't matter what game you play, its why you play and for how long you play.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I say gamer at the moment is anyone that enjoys and is exited about games but it should turn into a term that is used for the movie buffs of the gamer world.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
How about we just lose that fucking stupid nomenclature? Every time i hear someone use the word "gamer" it's either pejoratively by a non-gamer, or it's used smugly by a socially inept nerd. How about we ditch it?
You're a gamer.
If you don't label yourself, others will do it for you, because labels are useful.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
What this shit about gamer culture?

Here's the requirement to being a gamer: You play games. That's it. Doesn't matter how good you are or how dedicated you are, that might differentiate what kind of gamer stereotype you belong to.

My dedication comes from the fact that I read reviews (mostly IGN and 1up), and understand their purpose. I try not to fall for hype, because a game doesn't give a shit about how much I like it. It's part product (which costs money) and part experience (which costs time).At the end of the day, I don't want to waste my $60 on something that isn't worth even worth my time.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Playing games, that's it.
Anyone who says otherwise is an elitist douchebag who's obviously overdue for an extensive beating with a 2X4.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Anyone who says otherwise is an elitist douchebag who's obviously overdue for an extensive beating with a 2X4.
so you would class someone who has played facebook games a few times with someone who has spent +£3000 on games,PCs,etc..?

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I say if you simply enjoy games, you are a gamer. Though there should be a word to generalize the more extreme types of gamers.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
How about we just lose that fucking stupid nomenclature? Every time i hear someone use the word "gamer" it's either pejoratively by a non-gamer, or it's used smugly by a socially inept nerd. How about we ditch it?
I dislike this approach. It would be preferable to promote better usage of the term than to get rid of it. That said, the word "gamer" will hopefully disappear of gaming becomes more ubiquitous in culture.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
GvidaZ said:
Right here your thoughts on goals a person should acompish if he is to dare call himself gamer
For example-play this game,beat this boss,kill these enemies,beat this level,know this game.
Do mind the console limitations...
I, unlike most people here, understand that this is very probably not a serious question. If I say something like, `if you've never tried chocolate, you've never lived,' I don't mean that seriously, do I? It seems apparent to me that this question is being asked with the same tone.

So here's my answer:
To call yourself a true gamer, you must have played at least two games in the Zelda series, and you must have beaten Ultima: Underworld at least once. These are my criteria.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
It's a non-serious question ffs

You must shatter at least one controller

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
Play video games. Facebook games and other "social" games don't really count.

Now to be a TRUE gamer takes more. But there is already more than enough argument about that.

Dane Tesston

Jul 27, 2010
It's the same as with being a furry. You need only consider yourself a gamer to be one, be you casual or hardcore (which is an all together silly argument, to be honest)

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
mb16 said:
canadamus_prime said:
so you would class someone who has played facebook games a few times with someone who has spent +£3000 on games,PCs,etc..?
I sympathize with what both or you are saying. The solution would be to state that it is a continuum, with no absolute barrier between "gamer" and "non-gamer". If you've only played a few facebook games on a few occations your as far to the "non-gamer" side as you can be without being at the very end. That is, if 0% is non-gaming and 100% is super-hardcore gaming then such a person would be at 1% at most. Should a person at 1% be considered a gamer? Possibly. What it comes down to is an arbitrary line needs to be drawn somewhere, which is how these things usually work (think the development of human life, there's no clear point of development at which a fetus becomes a person, we just have to pick a sensibly point and go with it). Should it take 1% or 5% or 10% before a person should be called a gamer? I don't know. What I do know is saying someone is a gamer/non-gamer should never be a value judgment, but merely a statement of catagory.

There more to say than this, but I think that enough for one post.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Legion said:
Well personally I don't get why anybody would call themselves a gamer, because it is awfully limiting, and it allows people to categorise them.
I would instead advocate letting them catagorize you in order to prove to them their pre-conceptions of that catagory are wrong. In that way you are helping every other gamer by altering the preceptions of the people you prove wrong about you. Just hiding from association with a stereotype can only perpetuate it.

DarthFennec said:
I, unlike most people here, understand that this is very probably not a serious question. If I say something like, `if you've never tried chocolate, you've never lived,' I don't mean that seriously, do I? It seems apparent to me that this question is being asked with the same tone.
Hope so. Problem is... Poe's law seems applicable.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
He (or SHE, dammit) should play video games of their own volition.
That is all.
*Leaps off roof of building and disappears*

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
if you enjoy games, you're a gamer.

enough of this elitist prick BS ("what, you're just having FUN??? THIS IS NO GAME, THIS IS A GAME!!! HARDCORE MOFUCKER!!! WHAT'S THAT? YOU'RE PLAYING CALL OF DUTY? HA, POSER!!!")

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
To not just play games, but to be a gaming enthusiast.

Everyone has their own definitions, of course, but I don't think "anyone who plays games" should qualify. Some random guy who only plays FIFA and Halo probably shouldn't count.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
Requirements? The only requirement is really to play video games. Then again I've played video games since I was 6/7 and I never really call myself a "gamer"

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
A gamer is someone who plays video games for fun.

That is all. Anyone who tries to impose limitations other than this is full of hot air.