Research Finds Negative Effects in Violent Videogames

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Certainly not the most credible study with such a small sample, such random input and so little data gathered.
But it does have some relevant indications for sure, perhaps this will lead to something more extensive and focused to find the causes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jollybarracuda said:
Seems like pretty valid research. I guess the big issue though has never been "do games make people aggressive" but "do video games make people violent", two very different things, the latter of which is a lot harder to test because of human ethic laws and such silliness (kidding, of course).

But a lot of this research does seem to be pointing to the possibility that someone with pre-existing violent behaviors could, theoretically, become more prone to releasing that violence on people, with an increase in aggression caused by violent video games. Should be interesting to see where this research leads in a few years, and if we'll ever actually see a noticeable decline in violent games in the future.
Of course, the findings could apply to a bunch of people watching football, as well. Not playing a football video game, but just passively watching it.

I'm not saying the findings are wrong, merely that I don't think they have anything to do with video games particularly. I think you would likely find the same difference between people watching Monday Night Football and those watching Masterpiece Theater.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Well I have NEVER seen usual people get more aggressive than with board games like "Don'T Get Angry" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_%C3%A4rgere_dich_nicht ) or Monopoly which are considered a cultural heritage.

And while I saw lots of bystander fights after soccer games, I NEVER saw any physical violence at Quake-Con.

That's not saying that EVERYTHING you do for a long time won't have a long term effect on you.

Also:
- Some people become totally aggressive dicks when they get drunk, while others just make the parts better.
- Always preaching about being good for years can make one self-rightious.
the list goes on...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not sure I follow, given I've been playing bloody shooters since I was a kid and haven't exactly stopped as it's a good way to vent and it's generally fun and I'm not hostile, I've often been told I'm not aggressive enough to people who've owed me.

I guess it comes down to everyone is different and effects vary.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
The only time I am hostile, is while losing in matchmaking of video games or losing at them in general, otherwise I've never even been in a fight. So yeah, I get angry when I lose, everyone does at some point. I'm not going to punch a hole in a wall or something.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Perhaps people who play violent video games are just more inclined to vent their aggression in fictional and harmless ways, whereas those who did not play violent video games kept their feelings hidden, allowing them to fester deep in their stony hearts. If someone comes up with a study showing that violent video games leads to actual physical violence rather than an overactive imagination or extra-loud trash talking, then I will begin to worry.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Tbh I'm glad that it just sounds like a decent study. That's always nice to see. Need to look at it a bit better when I'm not sleepy, mind...

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Here's the thing, this is one study. No matter how well done a study is, it really takes multiple studies for verification. Additionally, there have been a ton of studies done on this sort of thing with wildly different results, and just one study isn't going to make anything clearer.

Although I must say, my impression from the countless studies that have been done is that violent video games do cause aggression, but they also provide a means to channel that aggression, so there's really no net difference. But, this is hardly some set in stone fact, and this is still a subject that requires further research.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Tanis said:
All I'm saying is...

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Khan...

None of THEM ever played a video game.
Not true. You see, along with early jets and other advances Nazi scientists also developed a version of Pong, only available for propaganda purposes in the Hitler Youth. You know why Germany is so strict towards video games? It's because they cause Nazism.

Also Stalin invented Tetris, the West just didn't know about it for a long time. His version had little Ukrainian people that the blocks crushed into a bloody pulp as they fell down.

Mao...I got nothing. Maybe American McGee developed a time machine to go back and see how great China was during the Great Leap Forward.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I guess this is a better study than most, but so far it only proves that people who play stressing games get more excited when they win and the more tension is applied to the environment and the more it happens the more excited they get.

Now I have repeated this a lot of times. Violent games might increase aggression, it might decrease aggression, but blaming or praising video games for either increasing or decreasing aggression is stupid.

The number of people playing violent games are up and actual violence is up. This doesn't work as proof of any kind either. Society is changing in several ways and the rise of games is only one of the changes. It could be a change in school systems, changes in the views of proper parenting, people get their aggression out there by having flame wars on the internet, a rising wave of apathy, seriously video games is just a part of the picture.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Doclector said:
So, it's not at all possible that, from a creative standpoint, people who recently played violent games were more likely to create violent storylines.

No, they totally now expect that everyone's going to be violent.

Honestly, it's more viable and less well, fucktarded, than most of these kinds of studies, but I still don't believe it.
This about sums up my thoughts.

It was a nice effort, but it's still making many of the same mistakes as other "studies" that "found" negative effects of violent video games.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
sethisjimmy said:
Not only does this study not prove that violent video games make people commit more violence, but it also does not prove that violent video games even make people more aggressive. Unless you consider writing violent stories correlates into you being an aggressive person, which I think is silly.
They're using quite valid psychological testing procedures. Where this study will fall down is when stupid people will try to use this study to prove that videogames cause actual violence.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I get really annoyed by these studies, not because I think there wrong but because they seem to be missing the point.

*Disclaimer*
IM NO EXPERT, but isn't this true for most forms of media? Im talking about the general sense of violence leading to more violance, thats what I was always taught. Chances are people are going to be more aggressive after watching Conan the Barbarian then say if they watched Toy Story because thats what art does, gets you feeling stuff. Games even more so as there a experience dictated by the player, interactive media/art = it puts you in the mind set of the game, at least, a good game does. The same could be said for sports to, the competitive nature of these pass times breed a us vs them point of veiw leading to higher levels of aggression. Lets not joke about, theres a much higher of chance of people involved in sports being aggressive then people involved in mathematics. This is of course disregarding the fact that alot of violent people get into these pass times because their just naturally more violent.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't say the problem was people experiencing these pass times but their lack of balance. If your always in a violent mind set, you'll naturally become more violent, the same as any other emotion. If I had a kid and they enjoyed playing CoD then thats fine, as long as they tried other stuff to. I seriously don't think violent medias the problem, its the fact people arn't trying other stuff. After all the sames true for things like sex, doing it every now and then is seen as healthy while doing it every moment of the day is seen as a little unhealty, or legendary depending on who you ask... or maybe im just babbling and its pointless to try and catergorise people as their all different... yeah lets just go with that coop out shall we.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
First we were introverted nerds with pocket protectors, acne, and thick glasses living in mom's basement
Now we're raging psychopaths

Make up your minds and stick to one extreme stereotype!

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
I wonder how many studies have been done on whether action/horror movies make people more violent and/or aggressive. Or *gasp* whether action/horror NOVELS make people more violent and/or aggressive.

Probably not... those are respectable media, not like this modern trash you get today. Oh wait... it's EXACTLY the same for anyone who isn't an idiot. Too bad so many people are idiots.
Books and movies are not interactive. That's a HUGE difference. Compare your thoughts about the protagonists actions in a movie such as Commando, and then compare them to the thoughts on the actions of your character in any game where you get to kill large numbers of enemies.

FoolKiller said:
I wonder if they considered that aggressive people tend to pick aggressive games?
The people in the study weren't the ones choosing which games they were playing, so this is invalid.

And the whole victory thing isn't a surprise. I don't see that a bigger celebration has to do anything with aggression. But maybe I'm just wrong.
Considering the celebration is actively aggressive (An obnoxious/offensive noise), and it DIDN'T increase in similarly-competitive but NOT violent games, then it's a textbook case of increased aggression.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Some parts of this I don't really understand, I'll have to actually look at the report. But going over the article's description...

I would kind of expect violent games to involve violent characters. Just like how I would expect a comedy film having jokes... I think I have an idea about what this "noise" is. But, whatever.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Magichead said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Playing videogames could be compared to smoking cigarettes. A single cigarette won't cause lung cancer, but smoking over weeks or months or years greatly increases the risk. In the same way, repeated exposure to violent videogames may have a cumulative effect on aggression."
Unscientific and hyperbolic comparisons aren't the best start, and this is a bit of a hum-dinger; cigarettes and cancer? Wowza. Still, lets have a gander at their methodology....
I'll tackle your even-more-nonsense responses!

The research looked at 70 French university students who were told they were participating in a study on the effects of videogame brightness. The students were assigned to play either violent games - Call of Duty 4, Condemned 2 and The Club - or non-violent ones - S3K Superbike, Dirt 2 and Pure - once per day, for 20 minutes at a time. At the end of each session, they were given the beginning of a story and asked to list 20 things the lead character would say or do in it. The students who played violent games were more likely to think that the character would behave aggressively or violently, a belief that grew stronger with each passing day; those in the non-violent pool did not show any increased expectations of hostility.
This....is moronic. First, where's the control? You know, the third group who were playing no videogames at all but were given the same tasks as the two videogame groups in order to indicate whether the results you're getting from said groups are indicative and worthwhile or just random bullshit. Second, was the "test" administered prior to the period of videogame exposure, in order to provide a baseline for comparison with the post-exposure results? Third, when did creative writing become a valid scientific technique for diagnosing aberrant behaviour?
The control is the people playing non-violent games. It's why scientific medical studies use people on a placebo for a "control" instead of people not taking any "treatment" as the control. Learn your scientific method. This isn't a study about "Are gamers violent." It's "Are gamers who play violent games more aggressive than gamers that play non-violent games."

In another test, those who played violent games subjected hidden opponents in a multiplayer game (who didn't actually exist) to increasingly longer and louder blasts of unpleasant noise each time they "won," while those who played non-violent games maintained their victory noise at a relatively constant level and duration throughout the period of the study.
The first and second issues above also apply here. The actual test is a poorly disguised Milgram Experiment, meaning that A; they used possibly the most well-known test in neuroscientific history which is a fucking stupid thing to do as it could easily have tainted the result if any of the participants realised what was happening(since it would immediately tell them the pretend reason for the testing was total bollocks), and B; they twisted a test designed to analyse the effect of instruction from an authority figure on personal ethics so that it vaguely fit into their initial supposition.
If you think the test is invalid because it uses similar methodology to the Milgram Experiment, then you REALLY don't understand the scientific process you're trying to support. A 'false pretense' is required in this sort of study to keep people from trying to 'guide' their responses to the answer they want to give the researchers, instead of an untainted answer (Imagine how the Milgram experiment would have gone if the subjects were outright told that they were being tested on how blindly they follow orders from a superior). What you're calling "a thinly disguised Milgram Experiment" is actually reliable psychological testing procedure.

I'd address the rest, but although I'd almost think you're correct, assuming you play violent video games, your response is further supporting conclusions found in the study.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Scow2 said:
Books and movies are not interactive. That's a HUGE difference. Compare your thoughts about the protagonists actions in a movie such as Commando, and then compare them to the thoughts on the actions of your character in any game where you get to kill large numbers of enemies.
Personally, I don't see much of a difference. Clearly I'm massively unusual in that I can tell the difference between a game and reality, because I don't really care about shooting stuff on a screen any more than I'd care about demolishing an inconveniently placed apartment block, but I abhor violence and abuse of power in real life.

In addition, just because the medium is interactive shouldn't lead to the demonisation it receives. 80 years ago, people were horrified by burlesque (officially, anyway). Today it's fine. People were horrified by radio (for completely different reasons! :p ). Today it's fine. People were horrified when TV came out. Today it's a substitute nanny.

Gaming should be no different. Those who refuse to learn from history are too gorram' retarded to be permitted to influence policy decisions and societal perceptions. Unfortunately, to my eternal disgust, the population as a group are too retarded to keep the loonies in check.

Sometimes, I'm just ashamed to be human (and all that other unnecessarily over the top deprecation! :p ).

Ticonderoga117

Nov 9, 2009
If someone forced me to play video games for three days straight, I'd be uppity too. I want to sleep. I want to read a book. Stop dictating my life!