Resident Evil 2 Remake was good. Just beat Leon's campaign.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
And yes they brought back the multiple A/B scenario variations.

The Good: Game looks gorgeous. So far from a graphics perspective Capcom's RE Engine is doing Next Gen Graphics justice. This is an actual survival game, Hardcore mode brings back the Ink Ribbon save limit. Zombies are more far more tough and can follow you through doors. Some of the new events that happens in this remake were pretty cool. Highlight is playing as Sherry Birkin. And lastly I applaud that they brought back gameplay features from other Resident Evil games such as the Gunpowder from RE 3 and the Defense Weapons from RE 1 Remake.

The Bad: Monsters are far more tougher then initially thought. Even against Zombies once you are grabbed, you will get bitten unless you have a Defense item like Knives and Grenades, other wise you will take damage. There are no QTEs for you to shake the zombies off.

Lets just say they haven't brought back things from the original I would have liked to see. For one I am somewhat disappointed with Monster G-Birkin's design.

But overall I still recommend this game. But if I have to make the tough call. I still somewhat think that RE 1 Remake was a better one then this.

But with this remake I am actually hoping Capcom remakes RE-3 in this fashion.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
The Good: Zombies are more far more tough.
The Bad: Monsters are far more tougher then initially thought.
Uh...

The Good: They brought back features from other RE games such as the Defense Weapons from RE1 Remake.
The Bad: You will get bitten unless you have a Defense item like Knives/Grenades, otherwise you will take damage.
Uuuuuuh...

Well, glad you liked it. I think.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The Good: Zombies are more far more tough.
The Bad: Monsters are far more tougher then initially thought.
Uh...

The Good: They brought back features from other RE games such as the Defense Weapons from RE1 Remake.
The Bad: You will get bitten unless you have a Defense item like Knives and Grenades, other wise you will take damage.
Uuuuuuh...

Well, glad you liked it. I think.
I realized that as I was writing it.

I thought I was gonna go for the Pros and Cons of the same gameplay mechanics.

Sorry for the confusion.

But for clarity. They really made the Zombies all the more tougher. Heck I am more scared of the Zombie Humans then the Zombie Dogs because once the dogs fall to the ground they stay dead. I wasted a lot of ammo shooting the zombies head to see if they are really dead.

To me this issue would be fixed if they show a clear indication of the Zombie is truly dead like a pool of blood underneath them like in the old games.

But on the plus side I kinda like the zombies are more challenging to deal with then usual because obviously the Third Person Over the Shoulder aiming gives you quite the advantage over the slow moving zombies so they had to buff them to the point they are now. And this makes the zombies more consistant with how they portray them in the old game's cinematics. If anything I was fighting the Zombies from the RE-3 intro in this remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLFQwRbSAg

And regarding the defense weapons. I like the defense weapons, I hate that they are the absolutely only thing needed to prevent you from taking too much Damage from the Zombies. In the older games so long as you keep tapping the action button repeatedly you could shake them off after only having bit you once in an attempt to reduce the amount of damage you take. Play the classic RE games and you will understand what I mean.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just beat Claire A on Hardcore: Return of the Inkribbon. Feel like I've been run through a wringer.

It's really good, like.. really fucking good, but I had a couple of moments where I felt the despair set in something fierce. Hardcore is pretty freaking brutal. Standard might be a better difficulty, but ultimately the hardest part of classic Resi (which this assuredly is) is not being familair with the environment, and the enemy/item placement.

Now I'm just resting up a bit before I go and tackle Leon B.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Just beat Claire A on Hardcore: Return of the Inkribbon. Feel like I've been run through a wringer.

It's really good, like.. really fucking good, but I had a couple of moments where I felt the despair set in something fierce. Hardcore is pretty freaking brutal. Standard might be a better difficulty, but ultimately the hardest part of classic Resi (which this assuredly is) is not being familair with the environment, and the enemy/item placement.

Now I'm just resting up a bit before I go and tackle Leon B.
I was tempted to do Hardcore first on a completely blind playthrough. But after my experience with RE-7's Hardcore mode. I pussied out.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I was tempted to do Hardcore first on a completely blind playthrough. But after my experience with RE-7's Hardcore mode. I pussied out.
To give you an idea of what it's like; You know those head pops you can get from headshotting a zombie with normal pistol ammo? I got maybe two of those in the whole game. Fucking zombies are made of month old chewing gum on Hardcore.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
To give you an idea of what it's like; You know those head pops you can get from headshotting a zombie with normal pistol ammo? I got maybe two of those in the whole game. Fucking zombies are made of month old chewing gum on Hardcore.
It be impossible to beat if they implemented the Crimson Heads system in Hardcore mode.

Oct 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
The Bad: Monsters are far more tougher then initially thought. Even against Zombies once you are grabbed, you will get bitten unless you have a Defense item like Knives and Grenades, other wise you will take damage. There are no QTEs for you to shake the zombies off.
Sounds good to me! Especially the last sentence.

YES. And i think it's pretty much guranteed now, after RE2 Remake's reception.
Samtemdo8 said:
Honestly, i think that's for the better. Hardcore can be a meatgrinder, from what i've heard, and clearly inteded for people who already know the game.
And from what i've seen about normal, it seems easy at the beginning, to become more difficult later, let's say, once X is introduced to give it to ya. The difficulty levels earn their name in this game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Got it with my RX 580. It's downloaded and I don't need to be up early. I'm going to walk the dogs and then alternate between playing it and writing for the rest of the afternoon. I'll be back with my thoughts...at some point in the future.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
MrCalavera said:
And from what i've seen about normal, it seems easy at the beginning, to become more difficult later, let's say, once X is introduced to give it to ya. The difficulty levels earn their name in this game.
That's when I felt the floor crumble away beneath my feet on Hardcore. He's actually not even that bad, but if you approach him like Mr. X from the original you find out that this is an entirely different beast. The key is finding out how he works, and before I did I was panicing and seriously considering just dropping the game.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Eh? I mean its a remake of a game that wasn't especially good in the first place. Though the lack of tank-controls does look like an improvement.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I too just finished Leon's A playthrough on Standard. It was intense. I really really like what they did to the game. They somehow managed to make it atmospheric enough to where a game we all know is now scary again. Mr. X is just...holy shit. Those are some intense moments because you can hear that guy looking for you.

However i do feel like there are a few problems. Mainly the boss encounters. They feel overly tanky, and are designed to leave you with nothing left afterwards, as well as the lack of a decent avoidance mechanic can end up getting you just gibbed without much chance. The final boss in particular really bothered me because it came right after another boss and I barely had anything left to beat it with. It made the moment intense for sure, but it was becoming frustrating after dying 6 times to the boss before I finally just got luck with his AI to beat him.

Also I think the Lickers might be bugged because even if you are quiet they seem to come right after you and their damage output is overly high IMO.

All in all the game is just as good as the original. But I feel like the balance is a bit off in the remake, perhaps because they felt you were too strong with the change in perspective and control scheme. Hardcore I understand, but Standard feels a bit too overtuned.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Still early on in Claire's campaign and enjoying the hell out of it but I'm not a massive fan of just how tanky the zombies are.

I think I'd rather have head shots be much more effectual and ammo availability dropped compared to the decent ammo supply but some zombies taking 10 headshots to drop we have now.

They actually take a bullet to the head better than the ganado's did and those didn't even require one to live.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CritialGaming said:
However i do feel like there are a few problems. Mainly the boss encounters. They feel overly tanky, and are designed to leave you with nothing left afterwards, as well as the lack of a decent avoidance mechanic can end up getting you just gibbed without much chance. The final boss in particular really bothered me because it came right after another boss and I barely had anything left to beat it with. It made the moment intense for sure, but it was becoming frustrating after dying 6 times to the boss before I finally just got luck with his AI to beat him.
It's like there's a few frames right after you escape an enemy's grasp where you can't really move yet but other enemies can still take a swing at you. This doesn't happen often, but it can happen, and when it does it's pretty frustrating since it's completely out of your control.

And with the final Boss it wasn't even that I didn't have enough to kill him with, it was that I didn't have enough room to carry it. The big guns use two item slots, and on Hardcore you are given less pouches. Like I had about 30 or so handgun shots left when he finally collapsed.

Also I think the Lickers might be bugged because even if you are quiet they seem to come right after you and their damage output is overly high IMO.
I can't say if this is the case with every Licker encounter, because I'm sure if you just get too close they'll notice you anyway, but I did manage to sneak underneath one. You need to be quiet enough to not even hear your own footsteps. And even then he was still slowly and curiously heading into my direction. It is weird how the game hints that if you don't have enough firepower to take down a Licker there's no shame in running, when Lickers will catch up to you in a matter of seconds. You can't outrun these bastards, at best you can get 7 seconds till they're on you. Luckily they can't go through doors.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
And yes they brought back the multiple A/B scenario variations.

The Good: Game looks gorgeous. So far from a graphics perspective Capcom's RE Engine is doing Next Gen Graphics justice. This is an actual survival game, Hardcore mode brings back the Ink Ribbon save limit. Zombies are more far more tough and can follow you through doors. Some of the new events that happens in this remake were pretty cool. Highlight is playing as Sherry Birkin. And lastly I applaud that they brought back gameplay features from other Resident Evil games such as the Gunpowder from RE 3 and the Defense Weapons from RE 1 Remake.

Lets just say they haven't brought back things from the original I would have liked to see. For one I am somewhat disappointed with Monster G-Birkin's design.

But overall I still recommend this game. But if I have to make the tough call. I still somewhat think that RE 1 Remake was a better one then this.

Those sound like good?s to me. How does the aiming feel....Is it like any modern OTS type game?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
Those sound like good?s to me. How does the aiming feel....Is it like any modern OTS type game?
Aiming is essentially the same as any other over-the-shoulder shooter, it just takes a bit for your reticle to focus. You can move and shoot, but it really isn't advisable since your shots will just go all over the place. And then ofcourse there's fact that nothing stays still; zombie heads flop around and Lickers can hop at lightning speed.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm enjoying the game as well, about halfway through scenario A as Claire, but the game while having many improvements over the original has also brought across the thing I disliked the most.

Go to one side of the map to get a key, to go to the opposite side to get a crest, to go back to the other side to use it to open a door.

I remember how annoying I found this in the original and I kind of hoped we could have had some actual puzzles this time around rather than a continual tedious back and forth across the map in the remake.

The back and forth was a good way to extend the game's length back then, I would have liked to have seen something different this time around.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
votemarvel said:
I'm enjoying the game as well, about halfway through scenario A as Claire, but the game while having many improvements over the original has also brought across the thing I disliked the most.

Go to one side of the map to get a key, to go to the opposite side to get a crest, to go back to the other side to use it to open a door.

I remember how annoying I found this in the original and I kind of hoped we could have had some actual puzzles this time around rather than a continual tedious back and forth across the map in the remake.

The back and forth was a good way to extend the game's length back then, I would have liked to have seen something different this time around.
Taking that out would've gotten rid of most of the tension in this game. It's not so much about padding the game's length, but forcing you across monster-infested hallways because you either forgot a key or overlooked an unopened door. It also makes repeat playthroughs that much more inticing, because you know where to go, what to get, and when to get it. Along with the enemy placements it encourages a sense of a strategy that the game is designed around.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Aiming is essentially the same as any other over-the-shoulder shooter, it just takes a bit for your reticle to focus. You can move and shoot, but it really isn't advisable since your shots will just go all over the place. And then ofcourse there's fact that nothing stays still; zombie heads flop around and Lickers can hop at lightning speed.
Sounds like bad artificially inflated difficulty. Would probably play this on PC if I ever get around to it. Speaking of, I still haven?t gotten around to REVII yet either.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
Sounds like bad artificially inflated difficulty. Would probably play this on PC if I ever get around to it. Speaking of, I still haven?t gotten around to REVII yet either.
Whether it's good or bad is up to the person in question. Once your reticle has focused you can just aim around it without losing accuracy, but of you drop your gun and then re-aim, or if you move around (walk while aiming) you lose that focus. Quickly letting off shots on zombie heads is extremely tough. A good strategy is letting a zombie simple walk into you aim, so that you only need to account for their movement and not both yours and theirs.

This isn't an action game in the same way RE4 was. It's not even an action game like The Last of Us, which despite its more sluggish movement still made you feel like you could confidently take enemies out. In RE2 remake it's all about threat management, just as it is about item management.