Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CoCage said:
dscross said:
CoCage said:
I've enjoyed REmake 3 despite its flaws. It has better pacing than og 3, and I love the dodge mechanic. Yes, some elements are lost (Mad Jackal, the multiple choices, Gravedigger), but I'm only upset about the former 2 missing. Always hated gravedigger and so glad I do not have to deal with the water treatment puzzle or the puzzles in the clock tower.
I don't understand this argument about 'pacing' in this context. I don't believe old school Resident Evils are about 'pacing'. Backtracking, puzzles solving, getting lost/learning your surroundings, getting key items to progress, resource management and running away/dodging zombies is where it's at in old-school resident evils. I don't think the new version does much of that very well, except for possibly a little bit of the downtown area near the start and possibly a bit of the hospital if I'm being generous. In contrast, I think the RE2 Remake did those things VERY well on hardcore mode.
In terms of not being in one spot for too long, is what I meant by pacing. And yes you can get through stuff quickly in the old RE games, if you know where all the items are, and what order to do them in. but there are plenty of puzzles in the old re games (0 & CV can both fuck off for this), and a couple in re2 remake that just waste your time and kill the pacing a bit on a first playthrough. I already mentioned the water treatment a music box puzzles in re3. In REmake 2, you have that weird key pad puzzle with the rectangular shapes in place of numbers, and that mixing solution puzzle against plant 43. I've you have the solutions memorized, or took a screenshot, they're easier to get through. But on the first time play through their frustrating. Especially when they change and solutions on the second run. Which is understandable, but it's pretty obvious padding. Most of the puzzles in Remake 3 are so simple, that they make Devil May Cry 3 and 4 puzzles complex by comparison.
Part of the fun in classic resi is the getting lost, discovery and working stuff out the first time around though, but under pressure to get from A to B, owing to the hostile surroundings - but you are saying it's a bad thing. I completely disagree. It's just a linear horror action experience without those elements I mentioned. That's one of the things I love about resi games - without them, it's essentially a generic 3rd person modern horror game without any of the personality that made them great in the first place.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
dscross said:
CoCage said:
dscross said:
CoCage said:
I've enjoyed REmake 3 despite its flaws. It has better pacing than og 3, and I love the dodge mechanic. Yes, some elements are lost (Mad Jackal, the multiple choices, Gravedigger), but I'm only upset about the former 2 missing. Always hated gravedigger and so glad I do not have to deal with the water treatment puzzle or the puzzles in the clock tower.
I don't understand this argument about 'pacing' in this context. I don't believe old school Resident Evils are about 'pacing'. Backtracking, puzzles solving, getting lost/learning your surroundings, getting key items to progress, resource management and running away/dodging zombies is where it's at in old-school resident evils. I don't think the new version does much of that very well, except for possibly a little bit of the downtown area near the start and possibly a bit of the hospital if I'm being generous. In contrast, I think the RE2 Remake did those things VERY well on hardcore mode.
In terms of not being in one spot for too long, is what I meant by pacing. And yes you can get through stuff quickly in the old RE games, if you know where all the items are, and what order to do them in. but there are plenty of puzzles in the old re games (0 & CV can both fuck off for this), and a couple in re2 remake that just waste your time and kill the pacing a bit on a first playthrough. I already mentioned the water treatment a music box puzzles in re3. In REmake 2, you have that weird key pad puzzle with the rectangular shapes in place of numbers, and that mixing solution puzzle against plant 43. I've you have the solutions memorized, or took a screenshot, they're easier to get through. But on the first time play through their frustrating. Especially when they change and solutions on the second run. Which is understandable, but it's pretty obvious padding. Most of the puzzles in Remake 3 are so simple, that they make Devil May Cry 3 and 4 puzzles complex by comparison.
Part of the fun in classic resi is the getting lost, discovery and working stuff out the first time around though, but under pressure to get from A to B, owing to the hostile surroundings - but you are saying it's a bad thing. I completely disagree. It's just a linear action experience without those elements I mentioned. That's one of the things I love about resi games - without them, it's essentially a generic 3rd person modern horror game without any of the personality that made them great in the first place.
Yes, I get the appeal of the puzzles, but it does not make them any less annoying in certain installments. If you like them that's fine. Me personally, there are puzzles in the classic re games I just straight up do not like. Mainly the ones from RE0 and Code Veronica. Oh, and Remake 1 can fuck off with the don't run nitroglycerin puzzle. Hated back then and I hate it even more now.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
dscross said:
Hawki said:
I guess the questions that come to mind (for me) is why 6 is better than 5, and why Revelations 2 is so low.
At first, I agreed with the consensus that 6 was a lot worse than 5, but having replayed them recently, I remembered that there were quite a few bits I liked in 6. Leon's campaign. was alright. Ada's campaign was pretty great. Chris's campaign was boring. Jake's campaign was just ok. I can happily replay Ada's campaign and I grew to like parts Leon's campaign. I still think resi 5's more consistent, but I there was certain parts of 6 I enjoyed a lot more, even though there were parts I really didn't like.
Honestly... I'm kind of the same. RE5 is the worst of the RE games by far, in my opinion. Perhaps I'm biased toward 6 because things just happened to go right for it when I played it: I had a friend to play co-op with, which helped the system to shine best and hid some of the flaws, but it felt more like an RE game to me than 5 did, even in spite of its flaws. It's worth noting I haven't actually *hated* any RE game except survivor though, so maybe I just have shit taste.

I will say that most of my dislike for 5 has always been aesthetic. Bright sunny africa just isn't a good horror game setting.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
dscross said:
Where would you put the revelations games? I noticed they weren't in your rankings.
Haven't played them.

CoCage said:
You forgot about me. I also consider Zero the worst mainline RE game. CV is dull game of not much consequence. "Let's take down Umbrella!" Except, none of the protagonist do.
In CV's defence, I don't think that's a flaw. Yeah, Leon declares "hey, it's up to us to take out Umbrella," but there was no onus for the next game to skip right to that. Granted, RE3 ends with Jill saying "that's it, Umbrella's going down," and Chris makes a similar declaration at the end of CV, but...look, I think we can all agree that it's jarring to skip to RE4 and have an introduction that says "yeah, Umbrella was disbanded, have fun with ganados," and that it shouldn't have been relegated to Umbrella Chronicles, but I don't think CV can be faulted for the sins of later games.

It was Wesker, and the asshole villain from Dead Aim that did the job for them.
Morpheus? Yeah, he takes out the Spencer Rain and Atlantic facility, but that's hardly taking out Umbrella.

I mean, cripes, what was Morpheus's actual goal apart from establishing his "kingdom of beauty," whatever the heck that means? Even Wesker had a twisted logic behind his genocidal goals. Stock logic, narratively speaking, but logic nonetheless.

Which has always been a problem with RE's story. Nearly every major plot point lined up for the next game is usually ignored and never mentioned again, ends anti-climatically, or filled with many retcons. Who's Ada Wong and her benefactors? Nada and never explored since starting in 2. Neo Umbrella? Organization dies off-screen in 7, despite 6 implying many members are still active, despite Simmons death. Jake will be the new leading man? Nope, it's some generic guy looking for his wife. The betrayers (Double Quadruple Reverse Agents) in Rev1 who are all Ada wannabes who work for their own secret shady organization? Never followed up ever again! With Rev2, even the good ending implying some form of Alex Wesker's conscience exists in Natalia. Does Capcom follow up on it? Hell, no! Instead we get the CG movie, Vendetta, RE7, and no Revelations 3 in sight.
I think that's a fair point, but I also think it's only really post-RE5 that it becomes a problem.

Every main series game from the original to RE5 has some connective tissue between them. RE1-3 introduces us to Wesker, Umbrella, and the onus for taking out the latter (Raccoon's destruction). C: V reintroduces Wesker, and fills us in more on Umbrella. You can skip Zero, but it does at least add to the worldbuilding (though you'd get more out of it just by reading Wesker's Report, which goes in-depth on Spencer, Umbrella, and pretty much everything else). RE4 gimps it a bit, but it at least introduces us to the Las Plagas, and reaffirms that Umbrella is gone, as clumsy as it is. RE5 tops it off, as we see the origins of the T-virus, Wesker is killed once and for all, and a lot of it is operating in the shadow of Umbrella itself (they screwed over the tribe, screwed over Sheva, their collapse is the reason for the BSAA having to form, etc.) It's not perfect, but I'd maintain that up to RE5, the series was reasonably cohesive, and also why I've repeatedly said that 5 felt like a natural end to the series plotwise, since there weren't any major plot points left unaddressed, and why I was never that interested as to what came after it.

But stuff has come after it, and while I haven't played much of it, it looks like the series is spinning its wheels under the new paradigm of "BOWs are everywhere, incident occurs, cue plot). I get why - RE's too profitable a brand to forsake - but like numerous series, it's clearly in territory that's gone beyond its original premise. I mean, if I asked you prior to RE5 who the main villain of the series was, chances are you'd say "Wesker" or "Umbrella" (or Spencer if you want to be a smartarse). Post-RE5? Well, it's not Neo-Umbrella. It's not The Family. It's not Alex Wesker. It's not Il Veltro. It's not Los Illuminados. It's not even Eveline going all Alma Wade on us either. And granted, it's not that a series needs a singular antagonist, but the post-RE5 landscape is a clear departure from the pre-RE5 one. It's why there's an article on this site describing the franchise as being akin to the DCEU. How in the RE2/3 remakes, we get the tropes of "amoral greedy company" that would be at home with Weyland-Yutani, while coming off a game that takes inspiration from Texas Chainsaw Massacre (RE7).

Think it's also telling that spinoffs keep returning to Raccoon City as opposed to, say, Tall Oaks. One city had its downfall done over 3 games, the other is nuked as just part of an overall story.

balladbird said:
It's worth noting I haven't actually *hated* any RE game except survivor though, so maybe I just have shit taste.
Oh, feel free to hate on Survivour. I don't think anyone's going to stop you.

That said, I'd say the only RE game I hate is Umbrella Corps. And bear in mind, there's not much fictional media that I hate (why hate something that doesn't exist in a sense), but no, I hate this game. There is literally nothing to reccomend about it. Gaiden at least seems like it had some effort put into it, and Survivour at least has a potential "so bad it's good" angle, but Umbrella Corps is lazy garbage.

I will say that most of my dislike for 5 has always been aesthetic. Bright sunny africa just isn't a good horror game setting.
I personally liked the aesthetic. If the whole game was like that, then, sure, but how convenient is it that pretty much every Resident Evil game just happens to take place at night, or in the case of RE3 original and RE4, murky daylight at the start of the games? Honestly, it makes a nice contrast to me, how the game starts off bright and sunny, and ends at sunset at a volcano?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
dscross said:
Where would you put the revelations games? I noticed they weren't in your rankings.
Haven't played them.

CoCage said:
You forgot about me. I also consider Zero the worst mainline RE game. CV is dull game of not much consequence. "Let's take down Umbrella!" Except, none of the protagonist do.
In CV's defence, I don't think that's a flaw. Yeah, Leon declares "hey, it's up to us to take out Umbrella," but there was no onus for the next game to skip right to that. Granted, RE3 ends with Jill saying "that's it, Umbrella's going down," and Chris makes a similar declaration at the end of CV, but...look, I think we can all agree that it's jarring to skip to RE4 and have an introduction that says "yeah, Umbrella was disbanded, have fun with ganados," and that it shouldn't have been relegated to Umbrella Chronicles, but I don't think CV can be faulted for the sins of later games.

It was Wesker, and the asshole villain from Dead Aim that did the job for them.
Morpheus? Yeah, he takes out the Spencer Rain and Atlantic facility, but that's hardly taking out Umbrella.

I mean, cripes, what was Morpheus's actual goal apart from establishing his "kingdom of beauty," whatever the heck that means? Even Wesker had a twisted logic behind his genocidal goals. Stock logic, narratively speaking, but logic nonetheless.

Which has always been a problem with RE's story. Nearly every major plot point lined up for the next game is usually ignored and never mentioned again, ends anti-climatically, or filled with many retcons. Who's Ada Wong and her benefactors? Nada and never explored since starting in 2. Neo Umbrella? Organization dies off-screen in 7, despite 6 implying many members are still active, despite Simmons death. Jake will be the new leading man? Nope, it's some generic guy looking for his wife. The betrayers (Double Quadruple Reverse Agents) in Rev1 who are all Ada wannabes who work for their own secret shady organization? Never followed up ever again! With Rev2, even the good ending implying some form of Alex Wesker's conscience exists in Natalia. Does Capcom follow up on it? Hell, no! Instead we get the CG movie, Vendetta, RE7, and no Revelations 3 in sight.
I think that's a fair point, but I also think it's only really post-RE5 that it becomes a problem.

Every main series game from the original to RE5 has some connective tissue between them. RE1-3 introduces us to Wesker, Umbrella, and the onus for taking out the latter (Raccoon's destruction). C: V reintroduces Wesker, and fills us in more on Umbrella. You can skip Zero, but it does at least add to the worldbuilding (though you'd get more out of it just by reading Wesker's Report, which goes in-depth on Spencer, Umbrella, and pretty much everything else). RE4 gimps it a bit, but it at least introduces us to the Las Plagas, and reaffirms that Umbrella is gone, as clumsy as it is. RE5 tops it off, as we see the origins of the T-virus, Wesker is killed once and for all, and a lot of it is operating in the shadow of Umbrella itself (they screwed over the tribe, screwed over Sheva, their collapse is the reason for the BSAA having to form, etc.) It's not perfect, but I'd maintain that up to RE5, the series was reasonably cohesive, and also why I've repeatedly said that 5 felt like a natural end to the series plotwise, since there weren't any major plot points left unaddressed, and why I was never that interested as to what came after it.

But stuff has come after it, and while I haven't played much of it, it looks like the series is spinning its wheels under the new paradigm of "BOWs are everywhere, incident occurs, cue plot). I get why - RE's too profitable a brand to forsake - but like numerous series, it's clearly in territory that's gone beyond its original premise. I mean, if I asked you prior to RE5 who the main villain of the series was, chances are you'd say "Wesker" or "Umbrella" (or Spencer if you want to be a smartarse). Post-RE5? Well, it's not Neo-Umbrella. It's not The Family. It's not Alex Wesker. It's not Il Veltro. It's not Los Illuminados. It's not even Eveline going all Alma Wade on us either. And granted, it's not that a series needs a singular antagonist, but the post-RE5 landscape is a clear departure from the pre-RE5 one. It's why there's an article on this site describing the franchise as being akin to the DCEU. How in the RE2/3 remakes, we get the tropes of "amoral greedy company" that would be at home with Weyland-Yutani, while coming off a game that takes inspiration from Texas Chainsaw Massacre (RE7).

Think it's also telling that spinoffs keep returning to Raccoon City as opposed to, say, Tall Oaks. One city had its downfall done over 3 games, the other is nuked as just part of an overall story.

balladbird said:
It's worth noting I haven't actually *hated* any RE game except survivor though, so maybe I just have shit taste.
Oh, feel free to hate on Survivour. I don't think anyone's going to stop you.

That said, I'd say the only RE game I hate is Umbrella Corps. And bear in mind, there's not much fictional media that I hate (why hate something that doesn't exist in a sense), but no, I hate this game. There is literally nothing to reccomend about it. Gaiden at least seems like it had some effort put into it, and Survivour at least has a potential "so bad it's good" angle, but Umbrella Corps is lazy garbage.

I personally liked the aesthetic. If the whole game was like that, then, sure, but how convenient is it that pretty much every Resident Evil game just happens to take place at night, or in the case of RE3 original and RE4, murky daylight at the start of the games? Honestly, it makes a nice contrast to me, how the game starts off bright and sunny, and ends at sunset at a volcano?
Morpheus actions had bigger consequences to Umbrella than you realize. That ship was full of Umbrella's bigwigs, executives, and high rollers. Morpheus killed them all. That definitely was a major blow to Umbrella. Not to mention Wesker benefited from an even more so. The irony being, Morpheus what is a bigger death law to Umbrella than Wesker technically. Wesker was nothing more than a final nail in the coffin by comparison. All he had to do was go to court.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Hawki said:
votemarvel said:
the final Nemesis fight was a pain though.
Really? I found the final boss fight the easiest in the game.
It was a pain as in you had to keep stopping while pushing the fuses back in to dodge Nemesis' hits. Do a little run around the area before pushing again. It was a pain because it was very tedious.

balladbird said:
Time is one of the most important factors for grade, yeah. assuming it's like other RE games, up to 2 hours is S rank. Number of saves also counts against your score, as does the number of first aid sprays you use, though I don't believe herbs count against you... if they do, not as much as first aid sprays.
It is essentially punishing you for being frugal and avoiding enemies, which you think would be important in a zombie apocalypse. Still at least I know now and can more effectively farm for those points. it just goes against my nature to do so, I've never been a fan of speedrunning a game.

As to pacing. I find RE3 Remake to be far better in that regard than the RE2 Remake. I guess my gaming tastes have just changed over the years but I found the constant back and forth in RE2 Remake to become tedious very quickly, whereas the smaller map area in the RE3 Remake meant I wasn't spending as much time just running back and forth over empty corridors.

Mr. X helped the RE2 Remake to some degree but he eventually became an irritant more than a threat, just adding more to the back and forth as I was trying to get things done. Being irritating may have been the point in his character but I just didn't find it enjoyable.

In short the pacing of the RE3 Remake is better for me because I spend more time doing stuff rather than running back and forth before I'm allowed to do stuff. Perhaps this and the last generation of games have just soured me on collectable hunting and that is what the RE2 Remake feels like.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
votemarvel said:
It was a pain as in you had to keep stopping while pushing the fuses back in to dodge Nemesis' hits. Do a little run around the area before pushing again. It was a pain because it was very tedious.
If you did it like that, I can see why you'd think that. The trick is to shoot the pink pustules that appear on Nemesis. They all explode after 2-3 handgun shots and once they are all gone Nemesis keels over for a fairly long nap so that you can push the fuses in peace. Do it like that and it is almost insultingly easy.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I have a question for someone who might be further in testing the game than I am:

One of the trophies is "I might need these later", which rewards you for using 1 or fewer recovery items in the whole game... My question is, when you enter the substation for the first time, the game infects Jill with a parasite in a cutscene, basically forcing you to use a green herb to heal her. Does that count against the total?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
balladbird said:
I have a question for someone who might be further in testing the game than I am:

One of the trophies is "I might need these later", which rewards you for using 1 or fewer recovery items in the whole game... My question is, when you enter the substation for the first time, the game infects Jill with a parasite in a cutscene, basically forcing you to use a green herb to heal her. Does that count against the total?
No. I checked other forums online. You're good to go in that particular case.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
balladbird said:

Erm, I think it does count against the total. I don't know where CoCage got that: https://gamewith.net/resident-evil-3/article/show/17616

The achievement is essentially 'don't use any healing items' I think, which is what it would have been if it wasn't for that encounter. Do it on assisted, it says.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
balladbird said:
dscross said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, that's the one. Carlos doesn't have a weapon with blow back, so fighting those Hunters requires you being able to perform his shoulder rush well enough or having a couple of grenades on hand.
I'm finally passed it. Man, that was an ordeal on Hardcore. That will be a killer on the two higher difficulties. It's not scary though, it's just frustrating.
At least on hardcore, the boss fights last WAY too long. Nemesis is such a damage sponge that it takes so long to bring him down... way past the point where the fight has become tedious. Bear in mind, I said 'long', not 'difficult'. He's not especially hard to beat in any of his encounters... which kind of makes it worse. By the time I finished the game I had a chest full of healing items I never ended up using... but I still dreaded fighting nemesis because I knew it would be such an ordeal.
Yeah, I found this. Although I actually did find the 2nd to last boss in the arena quite challenging as well as the hospital zombie attack. I died quite a lot before I figured out how to do it - starting on hardcore. Boring and repetitive though. The very last boss was easiest by a long way and I wish they were all that short!

I enjoyed the original game's bosses a lot more because they were short and not a focus of the game. I really don't like that new nemesis dog/alien transformation thing. They should have kept him in an original form much longer. He was pretty much humanoid until right near the end in the original and I think that was the way to go. It definitely made a better impression. When I think of all the amazing things the original did that they didn't do for this it really irks me.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
votemarvel said:
It is essentially punishing you for being frugal and avoiding enemies, which you think would be important in a zombie apocalypse. Still at least I know now and can more effectively farm for those points. it just goes against my nature to do so, I've never been a fan of speedrunning a game.
They do want you to be frugal and avoid enemies, but quickly - it's much quicker dodging than shooting in many cases with normal zombies. Everyone gets a C or a B first time. It's par for the course. The grades are for repeat playthroughs once you've learned the game. It's like that in most Resident Evil games.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Gethsemani said:
If you did it like that, I can see why you'd think that. The trick is to shoot the pink pustules that appear on Nemesis. They all explode after 2-3 handgun shots and once they are all gone Nemesis keels over for a fairly long nap so that you can push the fuses in peace. Do it like that and it is almost insultingly easy.
Well now I feel absolutely idiotic, I somehow got it into my head that they were decorative. Well I'll know better for next time.

dscross said:
votemarvel said:
They do want you to be frugal and avoid enemies, but quickly - it's much quicker dodging than shooting in many cases with normal zombies. Everyone gets a C or a B first time. It's par for the course. The grades are for repeat playthroughs once you've learned the game. It's like that in most Resident Evil games.
I just don't remember them ever being that weighted toward the time limit when it came to rank though. I didn't expect to get an S but would have thought better than a C given how I did everything else.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
votemarvel said:
I just don't remember them ever being that weighted toward the time limit when it came to rank though. I didn't expect to get an S but would have thought better than a C given how I did everything else.
All the mainline games prior to 4 (I/2/3 and Code Veronica, as well as the 1/2/3 remakes) have grading systems based time limits and the number of saves. Occasionally they throw in an extra stipulation of not using first-aid sprays or special weapons earned for completing the game.

I can't remember how they grade 5, 6, 7 and the revelations games - it may be slightly different. Don't think 4 has grades at all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I got to the final fight on Nightmare mode and the game just turns into fucking Sekiro. I thought after getting past the acid room Boss fight the final fight would be relatively easy, but I've spent more than an hour on it and I couldn't even get past the first phase. The problem isn't even health items or fire power, it's that one fuck-up pretty much condemns you to death. His side sweeps are easy enough to (perfect) dodge, but his overhead slam attacks completely fuck me over. He does this three-hit combo, and if you don't perfect dodge the first or second strike you get stun-locked and then killed by the follow-up attack.

I really enjoyed Nightmare mode overall, a lot more than Hardcore, but that final fight is ludicrously hard and I for the life of me could not get past it.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Casual Shinji said:
I got to the final fight on Nightmare mode and the game just turns into fucking Sekiro. I thought after getting past the acid room Boss fight the final fight would be relatively easy, but I've spent more than an hour on it and I couldn't even get past the first phase. The problem isn't even health items or fire power, it's that one fuck-up pretty much condemns you to death. His side sweeps are easy enough to (perfect) dodge, but his overhead slam attacks completely fuck me over. He does this three-hit combo, and if you don't perfect dodge the first or second strike you get stun-locked and then killed by the follow-up attack.

I really enjoyed Nightmare mode overall, a lot more than Hardcore, but that final fight is ludicrously hard and I for the life of me could not get past it.
How was the zombie siege in the hospital on nightmare (assuming you didn't use any special weapons from the shop)?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
Casual Shinji said:

How was the zombie siege in the hospital on nightmare (assuming you didn't use any special weapons from the shop)?
I think it's the same difficulty as on Hardcore. But I was cutting it pretty close on ammo, and that's with me not wasting any handgun or assault rifle ammo on the two Hunters in the room where you find the cassette tape, and the one with the cutscene introduction.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
dscross said:
votemarvel said:
All the mainline games prior to 4 (I/2/3 and Code Veronica, as well as the 1/2/3 remakes) have grading systems based time limits and the number of saves. Occasionally they throw in an extra stipulation of not using first-aid sprays or special weapons earned for completing the game.

I can't remember how they grade 5, 6, 7 and the revelations games - it may be slightly different. Don't think 4 has grades at all.
I've played all mainlines games (not 7 as I don't like first person games) and I know time played a part.

I'm just not a fan of speed running in games, I really don't see the point in playing a game if you are going to just blaze through it, so to have the ranking so heavily weighted that way is a bit disappointing to me.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
votemarvel said:
dscross said:
votemarvel said:

I've played all mainlines games (not 7 as I don't like first person games) and I know time played a part.

I'm just not a fan of speed running in games, I really don't see the point in playing a game if you are going to just blaze through it, so to have the ranking so heavily weighted that way is a bit disappointing to me.
You don't have to speed run it though. As I said, the grading system is purely for 2nd playthrough purposes once you know the game well - and it's been part of the series, for like, ever, so it's not unexpected and if you've played the other mainline games you should have expected it. You don't need to feel bad about your initial grade. Like I mentioned, nearly everyone gets a C first playthrough if they weren't rushing. It's meant to incentivise you to run through it again quickly. It's not meant to make you feel bad about getting a C.

There are waaaaaaaaaay more disappointing things about this game than the grading system, which basically just follows the standard resi formula.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
dscross said:
You don't have to speed run it though. As I said, the grading system is purely for 2nd playthrough purposes once you know the game well - and it's been part of the series, for like, ever, so it's not unexpected and if you've played the other mainline games you should have expected it. You don't need to feel bad about your initial grade. Like I mentioned, nearly everyone gets a C first playthrough if they weren't rushing. It's meant to incentivise you to run through it again quickly. It's not meant to make you feel bad about getting a C.

There are waaaaaaaaaay more disappointing things about this game than the grading system, which basically just follows the standard resi formula.
But you kind of do. When you do everything else pretty much spot on only to have the grade dragged down because of the time, then that is forcing you to speed run if you want to boost the rank. Even the RE2 Remake wasn't this harsh.

I don't feel bad about the C, I feel cheated.

That aside I actually like the game far more than the Resident Evil 2 Remake, that game took everything that was good about the original and improved it but kept everything that was bad without change.