Resident Evil 3 Review Thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
votemarvel said:
That aside I actually like the game far more than the Resident Evil 2 Remake, that game took everything that was good about the original and improved it but kept everything that was bad without change.
Can you elaborate?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So in case anyone's wondering, I won my first match of Resistance. With January. Despite this being April.

Anyone?

Okay then. :(

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
So in case anyone's wondering, I won my first match of Resistance. With January. Despite this being April.

Anyone?

Did you have any fun?

I got a B rank for Normal mode with no deaths. Yay for incremental improvements. Those par times are stricter than RE2's.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Hawki said:

Anyone?

Glad you're having fun! Resistance is okay. I'm glad they bundled it, because I don't care enough about multiplayer games to have ever tried it otherwise. Been a mastermind all of one time, but I prefer being the underpowered party in asymmetrical games, so it suits me fine.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hey guys, I said I beat it, I never said I had fun doing so. :p

Anyway, there's not much more to say on Resistance than what I've said already. It's not good by any means - it's this weird little hybrid of Umbrella Corps and Outbreak, but the maps are too small, and it toes this line between vulnerability (as in, you're test subjects in a dire situation) and frustration (when the shit being thrown at you just becomes tedium). A lot of times, it ends up on the wrong end of that spectrum.

TBH, I'd much rather have characters die permanantly rather than respawn. For instance, there was a time when a teammate was being killed by Birkin and I chose not to save them because if they died, they'd just respawn. Yeah, we'd lose some time, but it's very difficult to stun the 'ubers', and near impossible if you don't have a grenade. Permadeath would add to the tension and feel more in keeping. I mean, Outbreak had a system where if you died, you'd resurrect as a zombie. Why not here?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alright, this is probably going to be the last thing I say on the matter of Resistance barring additional developments (yes, I know Jill and Nikolai are coming, that isn't news) or questions.

I've won quite a few more matches, and have got into the swing of things. Better sense of how to play which character, and how best to work in conjunction with other players. I've had some enjoyment, but the gameplay is pretty shallow, and I don't see myself wanting to come back to this much. I haven't played as a mastermind, because the matchmaking has never put me as one, but I'm actually okay with that. When I play RE, I enjoy having a sense of vulnerability, or at least, vulnerability at the start - I'm fine with unloading heavier weapons on bosses at the end, because it's power that's been earnt. So playing as the survivours is more ideal to me.

That said, again, there isn't that much depth, and it feels like a regression from Outbreak. Both games have the premise of ordinary people being thrust into horrific circumstances, but Outbreak felt more 'real,' in that those circumstances were a viral outbreak rather than Umbrella experiments. So ergo, felt more of a connection. Also helped that Outbreak had a narrative, however loose, not to mention much larger maps. If Capcom wants multiplayer-focused RE games, again, Outbreak is the template I'd like to see used. Resistance however, is 'Outbreak lite.' There's some fun to be had, but I can't see it holding my attention for long.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I hate it when Resident Evil remakes come out, because that means SGF will spend, like, three solid months playing nothing else. First he plays the original a couple times to get the different endings, then he plays the Remake a couple times. Ugh. Resident Evil games are so boring to watch! This time I just watched him play through the original once on double speed, and the remake demo and that was enough for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
I hate it when Resident Evil remakes come out, because that means SGF will spend, like, three solid months playing nothing else. First he plays the original a couple times to get the different endings, then he plays the Remake a couple times. Ugh. Resident Evil games are so boring to watch! This time I just watched him play through the original once on double speed, and the remake demo and that was enough for me.
So what? Then don't watch his stuff. I am subscribed to SGF (supergreatfriend) and don't care much for his RE3 Remake playthrough. Liked his playthrough of the original though. I still have not seen remake run due to playing the actual fucking game, and not that invested. Love the guy, and he's got a whole bunch content I can watch through again or look up.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
CoCage said:
Drathnoxis said:
So what? Then don't watch his stuff. I am subscribed to SGF (supergreatfriend) and don't care much for his RE3 Remake playthrough. Liked his playthrough of the original though. I still have not seen remake run due to playing the actual fucking game, and not that invested. Love the guy, and he's got a whole bunch content I can watch through again or look up.
This is what I've done, however, this has the obvious drawback on not having any SGF to watch, which is a sorry state of affairs.

Although, I've just noticed that he's started playing something called Quantum Break, which appears to be another terrible FMV game, so things are looking up!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
CoCage said:
Drathnoxis said:
This is what I've done, however, this has the obvious drawback on not having any SGF to watch, which is a sorry state of affairs.

Although, I've just noticed that he's started playing something called Quantum Break, which appears to be another terrible FMV game, so things are looking up!
I find that somewhat even less interesting. QB is not the worst game out there, but it is Remedy's worst game. It was during that weird phase, Microsoft were focusing on their TV and Sports crowd. Instead of you know, their actual target audience. QB is just another generic cover shooter with some underused mechanics or does take time manipulation far enough. What your essentially playing is a worst version of Vanquish. I am so glad Remedy is not stuck under Microsoft's thumb anymore. I have not played Control yet, but it looks way more interesting than Quantum Break. Also, the production values in the FMV sequences are the worst for a modern game. The live-action bits in RE1, most FMV games, and Twisted Metal 1 look like high production art by comparison. Also, who the hell is still copying Jason Bourne in 2016?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
CoCage said:
I find that somewhat even less interesting. QB is not the worst game out there, but it is Remedy's worst game. It was during that weird phase, Microsoft were focusing on their TV and Sports crowd. Instead of you know, their actual target audience. QB is just another generic cover shooter with some underused mechanics or does take time manipulation far enough. What your essentially playing is a worst version of Vanquish. I am so glad Remedy is not stuck under Microsoft's thumb anymore. I have not played Control yet, but it looks way more interesting than Quantum Break. Also, the production values in the FMV sequences are the worst for a modern game. The live-action bits in RE1, most FMV games, and Twisted Metal 1 look like high production art by comparison. Also, who the hell is still copying Jason Bourne in 2016?
I'm digging it a lot. The FMVs are glorious! It's like a 7th grader's first powerpoint presentation with random stuff just flying around sideways and random picture in picture shots of the same person for no reason. The voice acting is great too. The game is terrible and I love it! And strangely, the game actually seems to have a lot of thought put into its world building. You just can't this kind of game anywhere outside of the 90s.

Oh, I just realized I made a typo in my last post. He's playing Quantum Gate, not Quantum Break.