Resident Evil 4 (REmake)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did kinda raise an eyebrow that he chose this as his latest topic, considering how rarely he makes new videos. Maybe he was just one of those passionate/borderline obsessive fans of the original, but yeah I get what you mean with the cherry picking type of double standard being in bad taste.
I unsubscribed from him earlier this week. He became another online person that over praises RE4 original, and obnoxiously either puts down the remake, downplays the RE titles that came before it (Yahtzee & Movie Bob [I would not call MB even a true RE fan] ), or acts as if any game that models after RE4 accomplished nothing (i.e critics that were hating on either Evil Within games [one of them being Yahtzee again]). This one of part of the online/YT space I got sick and tired of before it even got to 2015. Ironic, because in the early YT days, old RE fans would flip their shit, if you said that only you like RE4, but never played the previous titles. According to dumb fanatics, you can't judge RE4 without playing the older games first, under their dumb arbitrary standards. Not everyone had the time for that; especially back in 2007-09. Thankfully, most of the YT space told those types of fans to fuck off, and they never got far.

The RE4Remake proves how full of shit the obsessive die-hards are, and are just crying old people acting as if they lost something. Thinking the original can be easily replaced. Now the remake does replace the original for me, but I don't speak for the entire fandom, nor the casual gamers and newbies picking up either game for the first time. I've long admitted that I don't have that much love the original, nor its control scheme, and dated QTE mechanics. It's why I would take games like Evil Within 2, RE2Remake & RE3Remake over RE4.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I unsubscribed from him earlier this week. He became another online person that over praises RE4 original, and obnoxiously either puts down the remake, downplays the RE titles that came before it (Yahtzee & Movie Bob [I would not call MB even a true RE fan] ), or acts as if any game that models after RE4 accomplished nothing (i.e critics that were hating on either Evil Within games [one of them being Yahtzee again]). This one of part of the online/YT space I got sick and tired of before it even got to 2015. Ironic, because in the early YT days, old RE fans would flip their shit, if you said that only you like RE4, but never played the previous titles. According to dumb fanatics, you can't judge RE4 without playing the older games first, under their dumb arbitrary standards. Not everyone had the time for that; especially back in 2007-09. Thankfully, most of the YT space told those types of fans to fuck off, and they never got far.

The RE4Remake proves how full of shit the obsessive die-hards are, and are just crying old people acting as if they lost something. Thinking the original can be easily replaced. Now the remake does replace the original for me, but I don't speak for the entire fandom, nor the casual gamers and newbies picking up either game for the first item. I've long admitted that I don't have that much love the original, nor its control scheme, and dated QTE mechanics. It's why I would take games Evil Within 2, RE2Remake & RE3Remake over RE4.
I still haven’t played the Remake but it seems the overall gist of the old vs new argument here is they basically traded the original’s audiovisual aesthetics and game direction for more playability. But, apparently they left out exploding head suplexes in Remake, so there’s probably some overlapping.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I still haven’t played the Remake but it seems the overall gist of the old vs new argument here is they basically traded the original’s audiovisual aesthetics and game direction for more playability. But, apparently they left out exploding head suplexes in Remake, so there’s probably some overlapping.
IMO, I feel like a lot of people were expecting a(nother) remaster instead of a remake. They wanted everything to stay the same except the graphical quality, and got mad when things were changed. There was already a remaster of RE4, though, and that game is still for sale everywhere for a third of the price of the remake.

Let remakes be remakes. (Generally speaking, I know you're not in the 'remake is badwrongfun' camp.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But, apparently they left out exploding head suplexes in Remake, so there’s probably some overlapping.
Suplexing still has a satisfying crunch, and you get cool zoom in. I have no complaints, and it's something I am not going to cry about that's missing. You get wall tech moves (Ex: Melee --> Ganado hits wall --> Leon can run up for another kick or knife execution.), and team up attacks when with Luis.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Turns out she wasn't really interested in it anyway. She is already borrowing my old Gamecube (for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) so I've just lent her my copy of RE4. She's finding that pretty fun, might make her interested in the remake someday. For my gift I took her to the Super Mario Bros. Movie instead. Oh, and I partially paid for a Crunchyroll subscription for her so she doesn't have to come over to my apartment to watch anime (she is just starting on that journey.)
Cool. If you can find a copy of Viewtiful Joe. It's one of the Capcom 4. I don't know how she would feel about Killer 7 though. PN03 I wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hope he drops a joke about Quantum in it though
Nope. Can't say I blame Act on this. Why waste time on talking about that loser? He wants to keep the video focused on something way more important.

There are some things I disagree with AM on. Most of the villains are not done bad, and I like both Salazar and Saddler, Yes, the radio hijacking is gone, but both remake version have different, yet familiar takes of each character. Also, Act Man, scenes with Saddler communicating aren't ''flashbacks". Saddler can telepathically communicate/locate with any Plagas infected individual. The anti-American villains theme being removed makes sense, and is clear that he didn't read or pay attention enough to the documents and diaries. The reason being (big spoilers here) Saddler is basically a puppet for the Las Plagas hivemind. He still has control, but Saddler actually believes in his cults teachings, unlike the original. Still asshole and all, but it makes sense why none of the villainous characters are anti-American (other than Krauser who hates the government for leaving him and his squad for dead). The Las Plagas hive mind wants to spread its infection for the entire world for peace. The game even drops hints at this through dialogue and journals, but Act Man wasn't paying attention and too focused on what was cut/changed from the original.

Also, Capcom ain't averting sexiness, and I don't know why he's making this weird take. Sure, it's not as over-the-top in the original, but it's still there. Did you forget about Ada's dress in Remake 2 or one of Claire's alternate outfits. The remake just does it more subtly. Another thing Act Man, of course Leon wouldn't want to be romantically involved and is more cold towards Ada. These are not the exact same characters from the original. You're dealing REmake 2 Leon's attitude and trauma, not the original. Ada's betrayal hit him hard, and is done more realistically. While Ada is colder, it makes sense from her perspective as well, but she still cares for Leon. Did you forget about Remake 2 again? You even discussed Leon's more believable character transition from RE2R to RE4R. AM does admit nostalgia bias for some of these, but that doesn't excuse not paying attention, nor bothering to fully remember what happened in the last game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished my 8th playthrough. I finally did all of the Merchant's side quests. It was heartwarming hearing his big thanks and calling Leon a friend. I've spent over 125 hours on this game.

This has been floating around online for a few days now. First time I've heard of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did my 10th playthrough of RE4R, and finally unlocked the Primal Knife, got all of the upgrades, and it has infinite durability for the exclusive upgrade, so I never have to fix the default knife ever again! I spent the entire playthrough using the Blacktail with the other weapons. I have to say, I find it better than the Red9. Yes, the R9 has more of the stopping power than BT, but it's only by 0.5 difference. Blacktail makes up for it by having a faster rate of fire, and being space friendly. I think I am completely done for now. I'll pop in Mercenaries Mode once in a while, but I'm gonna wait until Ada's DLC releases.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I finally finished it. While individual design designs always come down to personal taste, I think overall it can be considered an improvement to the original game. It took what was a near perfect action game and mostly refined its mechanics, polished up its visuals and tightened its pacing while slightly fleshing out it's narrative. It's a remake that improves on many aspects of the original, while not breaking anything. That's a respectable feat.

If I had to nitpick I'd say I'm still not a fan of the knife durability. Considering the knife is now also used for parries I get why it's there and why they felt an unbreakable knife would trivialise too much of the combat, it's just awkward having to maintain your only melee weapon. I also can't really make sense of the addition of stealth. For the most part neither the enemy AI nor the level design feel like they've been made with it in mind. It never really feels like a viable way to approach most encounters.

That said though, I'm hard pressed to name any individual aspect that doesn't serve at least as a minor improvement to the old game. The combat is more dynamic and adds a great deal of mobility, the bossfights are visually and mechanically touched up, some segments have been streamlined, others expanded. I played it expecting to get cranky about minor bullshit, but it's pretty much the same game, only better and prettier.

I wish a few more of the iconic lines from the original would have made it in, though. They kept the bingo line and basically the entire dialogue of the merchant, but come on. No "Your right hand comes off?" No "Big Cheese?" No "Overtime"? I'd have to lie if I said something wasn't missing. Also, about midway through the game Ashley loses her jacket and gets what is pretty much her outfit from the original game, which is also an alternate outfit you can buy for the entire game, but I wish the alternate appearances would have also included her original haircut. But that's just some more nitpicking.

I had a blast with it and I'll be sure to replay it on occasion, just like I did with the original. And what greater compliment could I give it? Now that they've successfully remade all the classic mainline RE games, it'll be exciting to see how they're planning to approach the weaker numbered entries and whether they'll be able to turn around the lukewarm reception of 5 and the flop that was 6.