Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Review

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a few bullets short of a full mag.

Read Full Article

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
No mention of the horrendous collision detection or very shoddy controls? (though I'll admit the latter could be my fumbling)

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Surely the runningout of ammo is a good thing? As in the PS1 era Resi's where you had to be conservative with your ammo or you'll die.
I'm assuming the problem is, whilst in previous games you can avoid fighting zombies, in this the whole point is you can't pursue forward until you've killed everything?

That being said, the reviewer's failed to point out how this is that much worse than Left4Dead.

I played L4D2, and honestly I didn't find it to be any more innovative or interesting than what this appears to be. In fact, the only difference seems to be the switch from 1st to 3rd person. Is anyone able to elaborate how L4D is supposedly that much better?

Dec 14, 2009
Why am I not surprised?

Resident Evil is one of those franchises that desperately needs an overhaul, the series is so convoluted now.

Resident Evil 4 was the last good Resi game I played.

Rkiver

High King of Tara
Mar 30, 2010
You know what, I think I'll go dust off my PSone with the attached screen and go play Resident Evil 1 and 2. Much better games.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
hey paul not to be a troll or anything but you got the name of the developers the wrong way, It's slant six...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Terramax said:
Spot1990 said:
Surely the runningout of ammo is a good thing? As in the PS1 era Resi's where you had to be conservative with your ammo or you'll die.
I'm assuming the problem is, whilst in previous games you can avoid fighting zombies, in this the whole point is you can't pursue forward until you've killed everything?
I've played a little bit, you don't have to kill everything but you can't really run past guys with guns and not expect to get shot up. The thing is they don't give you limited ammo to use wisely, they give you a ton of ammo that you have to spray at the enemy because it does very little damage. So it isn't the tense kind of 'no ammo', it's the idiotic 'where can I pick up an NPC gun so I can spray some more?' kind of ammo. The controls aren't tight so your shots are sloppy and hit detection sucks, if they were good and the humans couldn't take insane amounts of bullets to the face, then the amount of ammo you got would be too much, to a horrendous degree.

It's too bad because the concept of this game sounds amazing in theory.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What's up with Spectre's goggles?

It's like he's wearing toilet role tubes on his eyes.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Eh, I bought this with three friends. And do you know what? We love it! Yes, the game is technically and graphically not very good but playing through some awesome Resident Evil environments and scenarios while blasting zombies in the face with some great weapons and special melee kills, all with three of your friends, is just great fun.

We've played the campaign through three times altogether and it's still enjoyable.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Really stupid to do the whole "YOU CAN ONLY PLAY AS NEMESIS ON 360!!! DERP!!!"

Capcoms gonna flop really soon, I gotta feeling.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
A modern survival horror game not being Horrorific or survivalish enough, what a surprise.
Spot1990 said:
That's the point in survival games, scarce ammo, health and savepoints.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ah Capcom, when will you stop injecting this franchise with the T-Virus and let the Racoon City incident just die? How many games do we need about this same event?

If you wanted to keep going back to Umbrella so much you shouldn't have killed them off with a text crawl in the first 5 minutes of Resi 4.

The times I actually WANT a reboot/reimagining don't come along too often but I think in this case Capcom need to step back and take a serious look at what's happened to their franchise.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Call me a sucker but I still wanna buy this game when it inevitably goes on sale in a bit and get some friends to join me ><

The idea of playing 1 dimensional villains running around in raccoon city appeals to me way too much...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Spot1990 said:
That's the thing though, it was intense because you got a pistol with six shots and your own manly (or womanly) fists. When you're toting around a machine gun with 200 rounds then things aren't tense until you get down to zero, at which point you're utterly screwed.