Resident Evil Showcase

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Look, I'll grant you that female characters in mediums, period, tend to be 'glamoured up' to various extents, but in the context of RE in particular, if your argument for liking our Vampire Lady is "she's not too pretty," that isn't really new territory.

If we look at the RE series as a whole, we've got about five female 'main villains,' as in, they're the core villain of their respective games. They're Alexia Ashford, Alex Wesker, Eveline, Carla Radames, and now, Alcina. Alexia is certainly 'glamoured up,' and Carla is arguably, but that still leaves Alex and Eveline, neither of which are 'glamoured' in their human forms, and are ugly as sin in their final ones. But they didn't generate a similar amount of hype.
It's just how it is. Sometimes the right elements combine at the right time to create a look for a character people suddenly really gravitate towards. I doubt Capcom designed this character for the express purpose of her becoming a sensation, she just did. Remember Bowsette? You'd think that was the first time fans had the idea to create a sexy Bowser, but it sure as hell wasn't. Yet people went gaga for this particular one. Why? *shrugs*

Also, sexy bourgeoise giantess is a relatively fresh take on the "hot chick" within the videogame space I reckon.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not arguing against it, but you know capcom's going to focus more on RE4 than Code Veronica. RE4 makes money; Capcom likes money. Code Veronica does not make all the money in the world for them. It's why they're most likely not going to remake it.

Like I said before, it takes time for things to be iconic. Chris is a jacket looks like something my dad would wear.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've been in conversation with someone on FFN over an extended period of time on the issue. Rightly or wrongly, he voiced the opinion that Capcom's shifted the RE series to be an anthology horror - RE7 is Texas, sorry, Louisiana Chainsaw Massacre, RE8 is now the IP's take on the vampire mythos. I could potentially throw in Revelations 2, pointing out that a lot of it seems inspired by Saw.
Revelations 2 was Saw combined with Evil within 1. Shinji Mikami even helped with the creature designs

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
"she's also like, covered in filth, and is probably going to eat you because she's a fucking zombie thingy."
I'd argue that's good part of the appeal for some people. Also the whole 8ft tall thing.

Are games really lacking in gothic horror?

There's almost certainly more of it than hillbilly horror (if that's even a genre).
I dunno, what Gothic Horror games are you thinking abou?
I can think of two right away(aside REVIII) as of now: Black Mirror - a somewhat obscure, indie point and click adventure, with great atmosphere and And American McGee's Alice, although it's more like a psychodrama with gothic horror aesthetics.

I've been in conversation with someone on FFN over an extended period of time on the issue. Rightly or wrongly, he voiced the opinion that Capcom's shifted the RE series to be an anthology horror - RE7 is Texas, sorry, Louisiana Chainsaw Massacre, RE8 is now the IP's take on the vampire mythos. I could potentially throw in Revelations 2, pointing out that a lot of it seems inspired by Saw.

Dunno how I feel about this myself. :(
I feel pretty great.
First Person entries are there for Capcom to experiment with the world and form(atleast VII was), and the remakes of classic veneer into the more traditional gameplay - that is RE4 one, doubt we're getting fixed camera/tank controls back, as much as i'd wish.
In other worlds, best of both worlds.

It's not a question of attractiveness. There's been plenty of attractive characters in the series. But I don't recall them generating similar levels of interest.
The memes work in a mysterious way

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd argue that's good part of the appeal for some people. Also the whole 8ft tall thing.
Oh I get the 8ft thing. I personally share the "tall women are hot" kink, seeing as I'm 6ft 4in, and am used to most women falling very short of being on eye level with me. So seeing women even just NEAR my height, or taller, is a unique enough thing, that I find it very appealing. I get THAT. It's the "she's hot because she's covered in literal human filth and offal, and is likely an undead monster" part, that just undoes any "Oh yeah baby!" arousal for me.

But aside from all that, I just am already tired of how prolific her social presence is. I mean I get it, it's the new Internet Hawt Chick this week, I just am tired of her creepy ass face grinning at me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Also being a visibly mature lady, instead of a basicly teenager or someone in their 20s.
Also, sexy bourgeoise giantess is a relatively fresh take on the "hot chick" within the videogame space I reckon.
I would say that Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, minus the "giant" thing, pretty much hits all the RE lady's other fetish points pretty hard. But yes, it's hardly a common form of sexualization, I agree. It works, because that look, that sort of Pinup Girl style, but also a MILF, DOES work. And you don't see it in gaming much, that is true.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Also being a visibly mature lady, instead of a basicly teenager or someone in their 20s.
I've been thinking, maybe Capcom being Japanese figured giant, mature evil lady and her aggressive vamp daughters would be seen as scary/intimidating, seeing as Japan tends to go for the young, demure waifus. Meanwhile fans in the West see a bloody-lipped goth girl moan 'Hmmm, man-blood' and are like, 'Yes please, have some'.

Probably not though, I'm sure they knew what they were doing. Some developer's kinks have bled into this.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
As long as Sony doesn’t make her an A-cup in a turtleneck or something like that for the PS version I’m good.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I've been thinking, maybe Capcom being Japanese figured giant, mature evil lady and her aggressive vamp daughters would be seen as scary/intimidating, seeing as Japan tends to go for the young, demure waifus. Meanwhile fans in the West see a bloody-lipped goth girl moan 'Hmmm, man-blood' and are like, 'Yes please, have some'.

Probably not though, I'm sure they knew what they were doing. Some developer's kinks have bled into this.

I think part of it is to sort of tap into that "cougar seducing young men" fetish, but without having to, you know, actually risk flirting with statutory rape content with an underage protagonist. If you make her a giant, then, visually, you get that "She's like an adult, and I'm a little kid" vibe, but it's with an adult male, so no icky stuff.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think part of it is to sort of tap into that "cougar seducing young men" fetish, but without having to, you know, actually risk flirting with statutory rape content with an underage protagonist. If you make her a giant, then, visually, you get that "She's like an adult, and I'm a little kid" vibe, but it's with an adult male, so no icky stuff.
She’d probably give the best spankings.

Are we talking about the hottest vampire in video gaming to date now?
It’s quite possible, but let’s shift gears a bit and divert focus to her lore theories -

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
She’d probably give the best spankings.
I mean, I haven't watched any of the trailers, so I have no idea about any actual dialogue she says, but if they DON'T play up the Mother/Child angle in her dialogue, with her constantly chastising the protag as if he were a naughty little boy, I would be very surprised. She's just got too many built in factors to not come from that archetype angle. She's some old, probably southern society, given the clothing design, so she's got that southern look/maturity thing going on. She's got the size angle, and if she's an actual vampire, she's got centuries of age on the protag. So, the adult/child comparison will be an easy angle, as vampires often play that line when talking to people. Commenting on their short lives, being like children, etc.

So yes, I expect "Ohhh child, you've been very...." *dramatic and sexual display of knife hands* "Naughty..." cue violence.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland

I think it's certainly possible her appearence is based off a yokai called Hachishakusama(lit. Eight Feet Tall).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Ah yes, the iconic blazer that we haven't seen until the trailers...

I dunno. Ada got an 'iconic' red dress, Jill got an 'iconic' blue tube top, maybe they want to give Chris a shot.
I'd have sworn when RE4 originally released (or possibly for one of the first rereleases) they had the leather jacket Leon wears for the first half hour available, limited edition and a couple hundred bucks if I'm remembering. But the only iconic look Chris ever had was "man with biceps like hams punches rocks in an erupting volcano".

Honestly, the coolest game-based swag from the RE series is the licensed (and slightly less licensed) airsoft replica guns. Tokyo Marui made licensed versions of Wesker's Samurai Edge (the unlockable one from 7), the "Thor's Hammer" auto shotgun from one of the RE7 DLC scenarios, and the extended-barrel "Lightning Hawk" (AKA 11" Desert Eagle) from the 2/3 remakes. And on the considerably less pricey - and to my mind, nicer since TM stuff is mostly plastic due to laws in Japan - less licensed side, WE makes like three flavours of the basic Samurai Edge, plus two versions of Barry Burton's custom one with the muzzle brake, and a tricked-out P226 that Leon uses in one of the animated movies.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Remember Bowsette?
Um no?

Checks Internet...

That's it, I'm out. Obviously Peach treated Bowser to cake, and he gave her milk in return.

I dunno, what Gothic Horror games are you thinking abou?
I can think of two right away(aside REVIII) as of now: Black Mirror - a somewhat obscure, indie point and click adventure, with great atmosphere and And American McGee's Alice, although it's more like a psychodrama with gothic horror aesthetics.
Bloodborne, a majority of Castlevania, every Diablo game, most, if not every Dark Souls game, Bloodstained, etc.

I feel pretty great.
First Person entries are there for Capcom to experiment with the world and form(atleast VII was), and the remakes of classic veneer into the more traditional gameplay - that is RE4 one, doubt we're getting fixed camera/tank controls back, as much as i'd wish.
In other worlds, best of both worlds.
I don't know if main entries are the best way for such 'experimentation,' and even if that's the dichotomy, it's not one that can really last. Not unless Capcom remakes absolutely everything.

I mean, something like Survivour could benefit from a remake into the current third person style, but I'm not counting on it.

Also, there's a sharp difference in tone/style. RE2/3 have traditional zombie horror, whereas 7/8 have 'chainsaw horror' and 'vampire horror' respectively. RE's arguably had an identity crisis before, but we seem to be giving this one a free pass.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Bloodborne, a majority of Castlevania, every Diablo game, most, if not every Dark Souls game, Bloodstained, etc.
Bloodborne seems like it, but i always heard it being called "lovecraftian", not gothic. Then again, i never owned a ps3, so can't tell.
Castlevania(and Bloodstained), sure.
I don't know about Diablo, i remember it being mostly dark fantasy, not much gothic(in the literaly sense) past 1st act of II. Maybe there's more in III? And this applies to Dark Souls even more so.

Just to be clear, when i say "gothic horror" i mean more classical stuff, in the vein of writings of E.A. Poe, or Del Toro's "Crimson Peak" if we look at modern stuff. Instead of a full blown fantasy, something lower, a mystery story, about a supernatural curse plaguing this ancient family living in an ancient manor, that kind of stuff.

I don't know if main entries are the best way for such 'experimentation,' and even if that's the dichotomy, it's not one that can really last. Not unless Capcom remakes absolutely everything.
Even if it won't last, best case scenario, you're looking at *several* upcoming remakes. That's a plan for many years ahead. And experimentation not being reserved for indiesphere feels good.

Also, there's a sharp difference in tone/style. RE2/3 have traditional zombie horror, whereas 7/8 have 'chainsaw horror' and 'vampire horror' respectively. RE's arguably had an identity crisis before, but we seem to be giving this one a free pass.
Who's "we"? I never really complained about RE storylines going batshit.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Even if it won't last, best case scenario, you're looking at *several* upcoming remakes. That's a plan for many years ahead. And experimentation not being reserved for indiesphere feels good.
Where are you getting the figure of "several?" There's the RE4 remake, and that's it.

Who's "we"? I never really complained about RE storylines going batshit.
"We," as in, the fanbase in general.

To be clear, this isn't about storylines, but more the drastic shift of tone and setting that occurred post-RE5. Said it before, I'll say it again, however you feel about the plot, you can more or less draw a line from RE1 to RE5, and consider it all part of the one story. RE5, among other things, wrapped up Albert Wesker, gave us the origins of Progenitor, and a lot of the game's plot is in the shadow of Umbrella, even if Umbrella itself is gone by the game's timeframe. Also, almost everything up to that point was in the same tone - zombies, light sci-fi mixed with horror, etc. As in, the likes of the T and G-viruses were clearly explained as to how they functioned.

After 5 though, what happens? Well, we get RE6, which I haven't played, but basically throws in Neo-Umbrella and The Family - in other words, The Illuminati. That doesn't work, so we get Revelations 2 - horror more in the style of Saw (though according to Brawlman, based on Evil Within). Whatever it's based on Revelations 2 is a different style of horror from previous games. Then we get RE7, which is almost completely isolated from the series plotwise, and is 'chainsaw horror' or 'hillbilly horror,' with a touch of the supernatural (yes, Eveline's abilities are explained, but they're supernatural from a writing standpoint). RE8, we're doing vampire horror. This in the midst of remakes of RE2/3, which are nice, sure, but the differences between them and the recent entries are like night and day in terms of context.

So in other words, focusing on the main series, up to RE5, we get a series that's fairly consistent - up to RE5, I say "Resident Evil," you'd probably have a good idea as to what it is. But now, as of RE6, and for four straight entries (RE6, Revelations 2, RE7, RE8), we have four entries that are drastically different in tone, setting, and plot, with said plots existing in isolation from one another, with the exception of RE7-8, maybe. Whether this is a good, bad, or neutral thing is up to you, I can't speak for anyone but myself. However, I do personally find the lack of acknowledgement in this shift for two reasons. One, a portion of the fanbase decried RE4 for pivoting more towards action (I'd argue the pivot was made in RE3, but whatever), and while I can understand that, RE7 felt more like a departure than RE4 did (to me), yet people heralded it as a 'back to basics' kind of game (it isn't, IMO - the Baker Estate may have elements of the Spencer Mansion, that doesn't make it 'back to basics'). Two, I can name numerous other series that have had 'identity crises,' and most of the time, people have been iffy about the shift in 'identity.' Resident Evil, for whatever reason, appears to have escaped this debate.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Um no?

Checks Internet...

That's it, I'm out. Obviously Peach treated Bowser to cake, and he gave her milk in return.
koopa_hime___flowy_by_willisninety_six_ddgnj08.png