Resident Evil Showcase

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'll pick it up like I have every other resident evil because this type of storytelling and gameplay is still oddly abit of a rarity. I sort of miss how far away from Code Veronica the series has gotten. First with going all action and now away from action and more towards clunky horror simulator ala Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I thought VII was...mostly great. *ACK* way too many spoilers dude. Cutting it off, yes I'll buy it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I loved RE7 and can't wait for this more action-y, spookhouse take on the formula. Everything looks and sounds great to me. Capcom is on a roll with the series.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I just dl’d VII last night; figure with all the hype I might as well give it a go sooner than later to see what the fuss is about. Will have lights out and headphones cranked.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I just dl’d VII last night; figure with all the hype I might as well give it a go sooner than later to see what the fuss is about. Will have lights out and headphones cranked.
Haha, there's one section in that game that legit had me terrified. Good luck.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Haha, there's one section in that game that legit had me terrified. Good luck.
RE7 is literally the only horror game that legit forced me to take breaks when playing it. Three were some sections that just destroyed me with the atmosphere that I had to stop and walk away for a while. That alone made it the best RE game imo. I'm so happy that they went away from the RE6 model of just crazy over the top bullshit.

With RE8 taking so much inspiration from RE4, I'm wondering how many people will be disappointed that the aura of RE7 isn't continuing the way people might expect. I think that ultimately is always RE's downfall is that they try to be too different from game to game instead of really sticking to what people like and building on those core concepts.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
RE7 is literally the only horror game that legit forced me to take breaks when playing it. Three were some sections that just destroyed me with the atmosphere that I had to stop and walk away for a while. That alone made it the best RE game imo. I'm so happy that they went away from the RE6 model of just crazy over the top bullshit.

With RE8 taking so much inspiration from RE4, I'm wondering how many people will be disappointed that the aura of RE7 isn't continuing the way people might expect. I think that ultimately is always RE's downfall is that they try to be too different from game to game instead of really sticking to what people like and building on those core concepts.
Skill-Up’s marble slab analogy had me intrigued…to play REVII. The last few minutes of his review in general breaks down the differences between the RE games, which I find myself agreeing with more than less.

Here's the interview mentioned -

How Resident Evil Village Is a Direct Sequel to Resident Evil 7, but Heavily Inspired by Resident Evil 4 - IGN First - IGN

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So it turns out I need to skip RE8 sadly. I'll eventually get the game but I can't do it anytime soon.

As some of your might know I was in the hospital recently. Well next week I need a corrective surgery and they want a HUGE fucking deposit thanks to my dogshit ass health insurance. So that means I can't buy any new games for a little while.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gotta admit I'm intrigued by Village, if for nothing else but it's Bloodborne vibes. So I might pick up 7 and then move onto this one if I enjoy that one, since apparently they're mostly divorced by a lot of the crazy interconnected plot antics of the earlier games and can be more enjoyed as their own thing.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So it's great we're getting another Resident Evil game but it's a shame that Silent Hills never got made.

Actually It did, it was just shoved in the middle of this new Resident Evil game. I don't want to spoil anyting about it and I'm still going through the game but that was probably one of the most frightening scene I've ever played in Resident Evil. You will know what it is when you get to it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So it's great we're getting another Resident Evil game but it's a shame that Silent Hills never got made.

Actually It did, it was just shoved in the middle of this new Resident Evil game. I don't want to spoil anyting about it and I'm still going through the game but that was probably one of the most frightening scene I've ever played in Resident Evil. You will know what it is when you get to it.
Shit, I’ve only started REVII and already can tell it’s gonna make Silent Hill seem like a walk in the park. Channeling Tobe Hooper’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre IMO is enough to make my skin crawl up the wall wondering what the hell I’m doing there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For those interested in Sphere Hunter's review.

In the comments she explains about not spoiling anything that hasn’t already been spoiled, and yeah it makes sense. These publishers spoil the game just by hyping certain settings, characters, etc. in their trailers. There is no way to avoid anything with how much social media has permeated pop culture, unless you literally choose to live under a rock until release.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In the comments she explains about not spoiling anything that hasn’t already been spoiled, and yeah it makes sense. These publishers spoil the game just by hyping certain settings, characters, etc. in their trailers. There is no way to avoid anything with how much social media has permeated pop culture, unless you literally choose to live under a rock until release.
It's why I avoid YouTube when I am invested in plot heavy games games. Even in non-plot heavy games, I like to surprise myself so I avoid media sites in general. I avoided YT for God of War 4, Devil May Cry 5, Streets of Rage 4, RE2 & RE3 Remake, Killer Is Dead, and many others I can't think of from the past at the moment. I have no user on Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, nor MySpace, so I can avoid spoilers indefinitely.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's why I avoid YouTube when I am invested in plot heavy games games. Even in non-plot heavy games, I like to surprise myself so I avoid media sites in general. I avoided YT for God of War 4, Devil May Cry 5, Streets of Rage 4, RE2 & RE3 Remake, Killer Is Dead, and many others I can't think of from the past at the moment. I have no user on Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, nor MySpace, so I can avoid spoilers indefinitely.
Why would you try to avoid spoilers for the RE2 and 3 remakes? They're remakes, they have literally the same story as RE2 and 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why would you try to avoid spoilers for the RE2 and 3 remakes? They're remakes, they have literally the same story as RE2 and 3.
They change certain iconic scenes, scares, or twist them in different ways and scenarios, just like RE1 Remake. For example certain things that happened in RE2 original, don't happen in RE2Remake or are changed.The same applies for 3 too. They do change up certain things. Not my fault you can't remember the originals nor forgotten so easily what they changed/added in the remakes.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
They change certain iconic scenes, scares, or twist them in different ways and scenarios, just like RE1 Remake. For example certain things that happened in RE2 original, don't happen in RE2Remake or are changed.The same applies for 3 too. They do change up certain things. Not my fault you can't remember the originals nor forgotten so easily what they changed/added in the remakes.
Yes, but the changes don't have much to do with the plot, the plots are the same.

Well, I can't say that as I haven't played RE3 remake so I can't confirm that the plot is the same, but the plots for 2 and 2 Remake are the same.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, but the changes don't have much to do with the plot, the plots are the same.
Yes they do. You get see it in certain new ways, or how they get there are bit different. Does not matter if the plot is the same, I don't want to be spoiled how they mix it up, even if the plot stays the same. Not to mention how the characters interact with each other in the remakes are a lot more realistic compared to their OG counterparts. IE, Leon and Ada are the biggest examples of this. Also, there are several things Remake 2 has that the original does not, and vice versa. The Kendo cut-scene being a big difference and factor. Nothing like that in the original RE2.

The exact shit why I keep myself on radio silence away from YT.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I hate Resident Evil games. I always dread one coming out because that means that SGF is going to play it for a month or two straight and I won't have anything interesting to watch. They just aren't very interesting games. Blah blah blah zombies blah blah evil science, I don't care.

Resident Evil Eightage actually grabbed my interest right away with that spectacular opening story about the little girl, and then it immediately lost it again once the actual game started and we were once again Ethan I-have-no-face-and-I-must-scream Winters. There's no way he should be able to use his hands at all after some of the damage he sustains to them. It's just not physically possible. I wish the whole game actually the opening cinematic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hate Resident Evil games. I always dread one coming out because that means that SGF is going to play it for a month or two straight and I won't have anything interesting to watch. They just aren't very interesting games. Blah blah blah zombies blah blah evil science, I don't care.
Good news; heeeerrrrreeeeee'sssss supergreatfriend!

Also, similar to Onechanbara, the zombies are in there, but it's about the werewolves and vampires now.

Reactions: Drathnoxis