Resident Evil Showcase

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Not the biggest fan of the series but have always kept an eye on it. Could be interesting as Village seems to take plenty of cues from the much lauded RE4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks way more interesting than RE VII. I still don't like the fact it's first person or we're playing as Ethan again. Seriously, their story is over. Why bother bringing Ethan and Mia back? Especially if she was brought back just to die. The game play looks to be faster paced thankfully, and Ethan has an actual walk pace at the age he should be and none of that super slow old man walk. Enemy variety is definitely better and more diverse. I am excited that VIII is coming to last generation consoles, so I don't have to wait or miss out. I'll start my pre-order on the weekend.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Not the biggest fan of the series but have always kept an eye on it. Could be interesting as Village seems to take plenty of cues from the much lauded RE4.
Resident Evil has been thankfully on a pretty good track lately. Though RE3Make was short and didn't have the extras people would have liked, it was a good game. With Re2make and RE7 also being fantastic, 8 certainly looks like it's going to keep things going.

Maybe they've figured out what makes people like these games and will continue to keep pace with what they've already started without falling into the insanity trap that was 5 and 6.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Resident Evil has been thankfully on a pretty good track lately. Though RE3Make was short and didn't have the extras people would have liked, it was a good game. With Re2make and RE7 also being fantastic, 8 certainly looks like it's going to keep things going.

Maybe they've figured out what makes people like these games and will continue to keep pace with what they've already started without falling into the insanity trap that was 5 and 6.
I have VII on Steam but haven’t tried it yet. Have a feeling I’d like it more than RE2 Remake based on the fact it’s built with a more modern, cohesive design framework in mind vs trying to serve two masters of old and new.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have VII on Steam but haven’t tried it yet. Have a feeling I’d like it more than RE2 Remake based on the fact it’s built with a more modern, cohesive design framework in mind vs trying to serve two masters of old and new.
Actually maybe not. Because 7 was so well liked because it returned to the core of what people loved about the first RE games. It still has a lot of the tropes from 1 and 2.

Nevertheless it is a great game and you should absolutely try it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
RE8/Village looks awesome. And only a few months away! Can't wait to play it.

Other than this the showcase was disappointing. Kinda hoped on a RE 1-3 classic collection but they probably don't want to re-release multiple games with the same name as the modern remakes. Reeeaaalllyyy had hoped for a glimpse of RE4 Remake but that was something I didn't realistically expect.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I see Capcom is still trying to make Resident Evil multiplayer a thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I see Capcom is still trying to make Resident Evil multiplayer a thing.
Yeah. Seriously capcom, if you want to remake or port Outbreak, just do that. None of this Smash or Battle Royale bullcrap. Every multiplayer mode they've done for Resident Evil so far just looks like something you would find between 2011 and 2013.

Reactions: Hawki

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This actually looks really damn good. I hope to Christ they can fix the first-person combat for this game, because it would be a shame for a game this awesome looking to play as shit as RE7.

Also, big-ass lady; Yes please.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Anyone remember when RE was about a bioweapon that turned people into zombies in cities, and the occasional weird mutant, and not...magical witch vampires that can turn into bees in a haunted castle? Like seriously Capcom, if you want to make a Witcher game just ask CDPR. At this point everyone is eager for them to lose any franchises they have.

Reactions: Hawki

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyone remember when RE was about a bioweapon that turned people into zombies in cities, and the occasional weird mutant, and not...magical witch vampires that can turn into bees in a haunted castle? Like seriously Capcom, if you want to make a Witcher game just ask CDPR. At this point everyone is eager for them to lose any franchises they have.
I mean this is gonna be in first person though. So it's different and such for reasons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone remember when RE was about a bioweapon that turned people into zombies in cities, and the occasional weird mutant, and not...magical witch vampires that can turn into bees in a haunted castle?
Yes. They're doing whatever they can to keep the franchise going. At least zombies show up in this game. The game is basically RE4 combined with Bloodborne. You got vampires and werewolves in this too. It's ironic, because the non-canon Wild Storm comics predicted the werewolves part. If they have Ethan actually move like a guy in his early 30s, I will play this. I still consider RE2 Remake and Evil Within 2 best RE games in my opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean this is gonna be in first person though. So it's different and such for reasons.
Even that part is not as unique. RE1 was originally supposed to be first person, but could not get it work, because the tech was not there yet. Gun Survivor (sucked) and Dead Aim experimented with first person shooting. Then you have the Chronicles games, which are more so rail shooters.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yes. They're doing whatever they can to keep the franchise going. At least zombies show up in this game. The game is basically RE4 combined with Bloodborne. You got vampires and werewolves in this too. It's ironic, because the non-canon Wild Storm comics predicted the werewolves part. If they have Ethan actually move like a guy in his early 30s, I will play this. I still consider RE2 Remake and Evil Within 2 best RE games in my opinion.
I know I just dismissed the goofy parts of RE canon, but I solidly enjoyed Resident Evil 0. Also I love RE4 and the Outbreak series is severely underrated, and it's music is still loaded up in my itunes. I loved the first Outbreak.
I get that the canon is silly, and it is because its been like 20 years but all the games still operate on a 90s logic of "but where did the bad guy go?!" and "we didn't see this coming!" as if Salazar wouldn't have a prime-time slot on Fox news these days, or Wesker wouldn't be the director of the CDC.
Its just that we're basically introducing magic and mythology in a series that was supposed to just be various incarnations of zombies and occasional bio-weapon monster or large spider bosses. I mean the spider is a great example! It was a mutated spider boss in the dungeon of a mansion that was the secret entrance to a bio weapons research facility. At little on the nose granted, but the very least trying to seem plausible. These days I fully expect like a Drider to just show up and the bad guys are like "Yeah that's my cousin Karl. He ate a mango with TX-Virus injected into it and turned into an elf spider and now he can control snakes!"

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Waiting for the “I’d hit it...with a step ladder.” jokes and such to hit the interwebs. Geez is this village basically the land of giants then? And why don’t they fit in anything? Guessing they took over the place from us little humans and those witches had something to do with some gargantuan voodoo spell.

If I could nitpick the presentation though it would be little details like destructible items. In the Max Reacts video Ethan’s swinging a knife at a big cabinet with different sections of glass and the whole thing shatters with one swipe. He looked like he was standing about three feet away from it too. Also hopefully you don’t get chased by bugs the whole game, because that looks more annoying than Mr X or Nemesis.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its just that we're basically introducing magic and mythology in a series that was supposed to just be various incarnations of zombies and occasional bio-weapon monster or large spider bosses.
Margarete could control bugs in VII, and she was infected with a fungus virus. I am sure they will do in the wizard for all of the women's control of insects. It'll be V or W Virus that turns X person in to a vampire or werewolf like creature. You forgot that 0 had an opera singer that could control T-Virus infected leeches by singing to them. So honestly, that was the most silly thing in RE, if we're strictly talking the classic games.