Resident Evil Welcome to Racoon City film trailer.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Forum Hates the Emoji being in the post for some reason if I kept both quotes

Also, are you surprised? Claire's always got top billing over Jill. :(
With Claire as I said I was happy for the actress as lets be real the Maze Runner films weren't massive up there blockbuster affairs they were good enough films where the budgets were about 50% or less the budget of even Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle. They weren't tentpole films for a season they were ones people went to see because hey wanted to see a film and they were on.

Also it's not merely not top billing with Jill, from the trailers it looks like she's going to have a squad with her for the Jill parts so it's kind of more in the supporting cast and while supporting cast can stand out it's also a spot where people kind of get pushed to the background more.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
More lose the chance for her to play a new character and establish them. It feels like a waste to put her in as an already established well liked character when she could be more than that she has the experience and talent to build something for the franchise as such.
That really doesn't follow. You don't really make the argument of "actor/actress is accomplished, so have them play a new character." Also, let me remind you that this is a Resident Evil film, and the last batch of films have an OC that, regardless of how you feel about Alice, did overshadow the characters from the games.

Also it's not merely not top billing with Jill, from the trailers it looks like she's going to have a squad with her for the Jill parts so it's kind of more in the supporting cast and while supporting cast can stand out it's also a spot where people kind of get pushed to the background more.
Well, yeah, Jill goes into the Spencer Mansion with a full team. That's part of the storyline. And even if it wasn't, you generally don't send police officers in alone to investigate mansions in the mountains outside your town (the film's at least wisely giving STARS automatic weapons rather than dinky pistols, so some changes can be positive).

Like, again, I'm not sure what we're missing by HJK playing Jill. Chances are that the film's going to bomb either way, but that aside, if having HJK have a significant role is the be-all and end-all of casting, then having her as Jill is still a better choice then trying to build a new character from scratch. Like, I've regularly complained that Capcom's sidelined Jill, but Jill's still a more major character than...I dunno, Fong Ling.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That really doesn't follow. You don't really make the argument of "actor/actress is accomplished, so have them play a new character." Also, let me remind you that this is a Resident Evil film, and the last batch of films have an OC that, regardless of how you feel about Alice, did overshadow the characters from the games.
Alice did but I'd say an OC could be done right too. Also HJK has enough credibility to have people be on board with a new character and even if she was a side character then she'd feel like she was adding more to the film rather than just playing an existing character and she would be being better utilised.

Well, yeah, Jill goes into the Spencer Mansion with a full team. That's part of the storyline. And even if it wasn't, you generally don't send police officers in alone to investigate mansions in the mountains outside your town (the film's at least wisely giving STARS automatic weapons rather than dinky pistols, so some changes can be positive).
I'd have said the bit where the team get split up you have HJK as another character who survived the crash and I dunno doesn't go in the mansion but runs off into town to try and get the word out but then have one of the Zombie dogs follow her into town. There you go suddenly you can do stuff half way between Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 2 as the town falls and then do the Resident Evil 2 Claire and Leon stuff.

Like, again, I'm not sure what we're missing by HJK playing Jill. Chances are that the film's going to bomb either way, but that aside, if having HJK have a significant role is the be-all and end-all of casting, then having her as Jill is still a better choice then trying to build a new character from scratch. Like, I've regularly complained that Capcom's sidelined Jill, but Jill's still a more major character than...I dunno, Fong Ling.
True but I dunno I feel like HJK's star power as such is being wasted here somewhat.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alice did but I'd say an OC could be done right too. Also HJK has enough credibility to have people be on board with a new character and even if she was a side character then she'd feel like she was adding more to the film rather than just playing an existing character and she would be being better utilised.

I'd have said the bit where the team get split up you have HJK as another character who survived the crash and I dunno doesn't go in the mansion but runs off into town to try and get the word out but then have one of the Zombie dogs follow her into town. There you go suddenly you can do stuff half way between Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 2 as the town falls and then do the Resident Evil 2 Claire and Leon stuff.

True but I dunno I feel like HJK's star power as such is being wasted here somewhat.
Okay, lots to dissect here.

First, it's starting with the premise than an OC is going to not only outshine a canon character, but be welcomed. Like, in this hypothetical situation, Jane Doe plays Jill Valentine, and HJK plays an OC. How many people would become that vs. HJK playing Jill herself? It isn't just Resident Evil, take Tauriel from The Hobbit movies. Personally, I'm fine with Tauriel, but there's a lot of people who don't, and it's easy to see why. OCs are rarely welcomed over canon characters in adaptations.

Second, I can actually cite an HJK case here myself, namely...checks spelling... F'Nale Zandor from Ready Play One. F'Nale is an OC, not in the original book. Now, I think F'Nale adds to the film (granted, I think the film is better than the book, period), but I challenge any RPO fans out there to nominate F'Nale as their favourite character over canon ones.

Third, your scenario of zombie dogs following an OC to town doesn't seem to work however you split it. If you want that split into the film itself, then it's being stretched even more thin, telling three stories instead of two. If you want three separate films to exist - an RE1 adaptation, an interquel, and an RE2 adaptation, then just cast HJK as Jill in the RE1 adaptation, where the characters will have more time to develop.

Also, fourth, this seems to be overstating HJK's star power. I've seen her in a few things, and I think she's a good actress, clearly able to function as a main lead (see Killjoys for instance), but she isn't exactly an A-lister.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Okay, lots to dissect here.

First, it's starting with the premise than an OC is going to not only outshine a canon character, but be welcomed. Like, in this hypothetical situation, Jane Doe plays Jill Valentine, and HJK plays an OC. How many people would become that vs. HJK playing Jill herself? It isn't just Resident Evil, take Tauriel from The Hobbit movies. Personally, I'm fine with Tauriel, but there's a lot of people who don't, and it's easy to see why. OCs are rarely welcomed over canon characters in adaptations.

Second, I can actually cite an HJK case here myself, namely...checks spelling... F'Nale Zandor from Ready Play One. F'Nale is an OC, not in the original book. Now, I think F'Nale adds to the film (granted, I think the film is better than the book, period), but I challenge any RPO fans out there to nominate F'Nale as their favourite character over canon ones.

Third, your scenario of zombie dogs following an OC to town doesn't seem to work however you split it. If you want that split into the film itself, then it's being stretched even more thin, telling three stories instead of two. If you want three separate films to exist - an RE1 adaptation, an interquel, and an RE2 adaptation, then just cast HJK as Jill in the RE1 adaptation, where the characters will have more time to develop.

Also, fourth, this seems to be overstating HJK's star power. I've seen her in a few things, and I think she's a good actress, clearly able to function as a main lead (see Killjoys for instance), but she isn't exactly an A-lister.
Well Firstly a this stage the film isn't keeping to cannon fully anyway so why not try something a bit new.

Secondly you leave the Mansion story for another film you just follow HJK character as such, she drops in with the team but the team gets scattered and we follow HJK character through the woods being chased into the town. She thinks she's lost the undead dog before the edge of town runs into the town to the police department and we maybe see a few scenes of the Zombie dog wandering into town and maybe biting some random person which give a "This is how the outbreak in the town actually started" angle to it. You then run Claire's story and HJK's at the same time cutting between them the idea being to be able to show two stages of the same outbreak. HJKs character trying to raise the alarm and Claire's character getting there just as it's really kicking off and getting bad. You also create a scenario where Claire knows there's a lab of some kind thanks to the video (in the trailer) but not where and HJK knows something rotten is going on in the Woods near the old mansion but doesnt now what. Two parts of the same puzzle that can come together as such. Maybe have the ending be them meet and something like "Our hope may lie with the the rest of my team, maybe they made it inside that mansion" dum dum dum big sequel hook which I know in chronology the mansion incident happens first but to set up the two things you have to work with the idea that the infection had already spread beyond the mansion and wasn't fully contain by the actions there.

HJKs not a full on A-Lister but man does it feel like she is just under there nearly breaking through. Like some people actually asking where her character is in the MCU and if she'll be back.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well Firstly a this stage the film isn't keeping to cannon fully anyway so why not try something a bit new.

Secondly you leave the Mansion story for another film you just follow HJK character as such, she drops in with the team but the team gets scattered and we follow HJK character through the woods being chased into the town. She thinks she's lost the undead dog before the edge of town runs into the town to the police department and we maybe see a few scenes of the Zombie dog wandering into town and maybe biting some random person which give a "This is how the outbreak in the town actually started" angle to it. You then run Claire's story and HJK's at the same time cutting between them the idea being to be able to show two stages of the same outbreak. HJKs character trying to raise the alarm and Claire's character getting there just as it's really kicking off and getting bad. You also create a scenario where Claire knows there's a lab of some kind thanks to the video (in the trailer) but not where and HJK knows something rotten is going on in the Woods near the old mansion but doesnt now what. Two parts of the same puzzle that can come together as such. Maybe have the ending be them meet and something like "Our hope may lie with the the rest of my team, maybe they made it inside that mansion" dum dum dum big sequel hook which I know in chronology the mansion incident happens first but to set up the two things you have to work with the idea that the infection had already spread beyond the mansion and wasn't fully contain by the actions there.
Okay, sure, but this is simply pitching an entirely new plot. Whether HJK is the star or not is incidental here.

HJKs not a full on A-Lister but man does it feel like she is just under there nearly breaking through. Like some people actually asking where her character is in the MCU and if she'll be back.
For what it's worth, I'd like to see Ghost again as well.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Jill, I'll have a sandwich with you anytime.
I'm very open to the possibility that this thing is going to be so goddamn self-aware its going to move beyond being a bad resident evil movie to being a great parody of a resident evil movie. I want that. I want more than the universe is likely willing to provide, but I want it.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

Of the RE films I've seen, the best would still be the 2002 one. I don't think it's really fair to compare the Anderson films to the CG ones, but even then, if I lumped them all together, it would still take top spot.

If we're talking about faithfulness, that's another matter, but I'd rather have a good film that's a poor adaptation, rather than a good adaptation that's a poor film.

To me it looks like an attempt to make money from a once popular franchise.
RE's more popular now than it's been for awhile, thanks to stuff like RE7 and the RE2make, so I'm not sure where you're getting "once popular" from.

Then again, you seem to be selling stickers, so what do I know?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of the RE films I've seen, the best would still be the 2002 one. I don't think it's really fair to compare the Anderson films to the CG ones, but even then, if I lumped them all together, it would still take top spot.
Oh no, it's more than fair as far as I am concerned. Even though the 2002 film is the best of Anderson films, that is not much of a milestone considering what came afterward was so much worse and all bad fanfics in movie form. I'll give Apocalypse credit for the portrayal of Jill Valentine, but too bad we got Mary Sue, OC, Alice taking half of the fucking spotlight! The worst RE CG movie I still find better than all of the live-action movies.

RE's more popular now than it's been for awhile, thanks to stuff like RE7 and the RE2make, so I'm not sure where you're getting "once popular" from.

Then again, you seem to be selling stickers, so what do I know?
I have no idea what that person was going on about either. I ignored them.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I never enjoyed any of the resident evil films. Not even that I didn't actually like them, but that my eyes literally just glazed over 10 minutes into every one because the plots were just tensionless nonsense excuses for bland CGI smeared action scenes. Only the first one made any attempt at telling a story and that one was still pretty stupid. Something something Milla Jovovich on wires, flipping around shooting CGI zombies, roll credits. If you wanted to make the argument that it's an accurate adaptation of the games the only comparison you could make would be to the action on rails trash resident evil 6. The rest of the games, even 5 were pretty slow burn adventure games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh no, it's more than fair as far as I am concerned. Even though the 2002 film is the best of Anderson films, that is not much of a milestone considering what came afterward was so much worse and all bad fanfics in movie form. I'll give Apocalypse credit for the portrayal of Jill Valentine, but too bad we got Mary Sue, OC, Alice taking half of the fucking spotlight! The worst RE CG movie I still find better than all of the live-action movies.
I say it's unfair because the Anderson movies have to build up their plot/characters/world from the ground up, whereas the CG films are tie-in works. Something like Degeneration for instance doesn't need to devote runtime to fleshing out Leon and Claire,, nor does it have to flesh out its world per se. This is the same reason why I generally don't put tie-in works in ranked lists of VG movies because there's a fundamental difference here between an adaptation and a tie-in. In contrast, if Degeneration was the first installment in a stand-alone series, it wouldn't really function, because viewers would be missing a chunk of story (that, and it has its own problems, including a thin plot).

If/when I see Welcome to Raccoon City, I'll happily compare it against the Anderson films, but not so much the tie-in ones. And even if we were looking at their overall quality...well, the worst CG movie I've seen is 4D Executer. That, um...okay, maybe Retribution is technically worse, but that's a big "technically." In contrast, Degeneration is just "meh," and Infinite Darkness, while decent, isn't technically a movie, so...

(Haven't seen Damnation or Vendetta, or Afterlife - make of that what you will.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I say it's unfair because the Anderson movies have to build up their plot/characters/world from the ground up, whereas the CG films are tie-in works. Something like Degeneration for instance doesn't need to devote runtime to fleshing out Leon and Claire,, nor does it have to flesh out its world per se. This is the same reason why I generally don't put tie-in works in ranked lists of VG movies because there's a fundamental difference here between an adaptation and a tie-in. In contrast, if Degeneration was the first installment in a stand-alone series, it wouldn't really function, because viewers would be missing a chunk of story (that, and it has its own problems, including a thin plot).
While true, I don't care on my end. The Anderson movies go in to their own bizzaro universe that it does not matter. Even put them in their own pocket dimension, they all nearly fail on so many levels on the action and horror end. Don't even get me started on characters or how the universe works in those "adaptions". A virus that affects only humans and mammals does not turn everything in to dessert wasteland a la Mad Max you dumb ass film maker! Looking at you Extinction!

And even if we were looking at their overall quality...well, the worst CG movie I've seen is 4D Executer. That, um...okay, maybe Retribution is technically worse, but that's a big "technically." In contrast, Degeneration is just "meh," and Infinite Darkness, while decent, isn't technically a movie, so...

(Haven't seen Damnation or Vendetta, or Afterlife - make of that what you will.)
Executer has some cool concepts, but might as well be non-canon as nothing is ever followed up on, nor any references are made in future titles at all. I was more so referring to the CG movies that went straight to DVD. As far as the worse, I consider Damnation the worst of the CG movies. Vendetta is entertaining, but has some sub-plots that never come up again. Afterlife, part of the WS shit-fest, you are not missing anything at all.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Degeneration is just "meh"....
From a technical viewpoint the CGI is serviceable, but the writing and characterization (aside from Claire) is horrid. If they'd made Leon any more one-dimensional he'd have formed a singularity.

A virus that affects only humans and mammals does not turn everything in to deserted wasteland a la Mad Max you dumb ass film maker!
Never watched Extinction, but when I read a plot synopsis I'm surprised my facepalm didn't break the sound barrier. I mean, being so wrong on so many fronts should get the writers some sort of lifetime achievement award.

Reactions: BrawlMan