Resident evil will return to its roots.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/31/resident-evil-will-return-to-its-roots

HA IM THE FIRST!!! lmao um so yeah some people here should be excite much?

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Let's just see if they hold their word, Capcom has been known to "take feedback" before, catch my drift.

RE4 style camera and combat with RE2 style level/aesthetic design, would personally bang. I was going to get the Revelations port, which I heard was pretty much that.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It roots? You mean hilarious bad voice acting, nonsense puzzles, and poor rendering? Oh... you mean being more survival horror oriented... yeah... don't care about that. I just wanted more Jill sandwiches.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I should, but then I realised the possibility the new classic horror game it will have A LOT of quick times event.......

I will pass, put if indeed is looking good, I will give it a chance.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Why do I get the feeling their flinging it anyways? People who really have no idea what they're doing and relying solely on fan feedback rather then have any kind of creative backbone in them. Because, otherwise, RE6 wouldn't have turned out the way it did.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So back to tank controls stupid pointless puzzles and goofy conspiracy story-lines huh or maybe make the games more like RE: remake?

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I lost track of Resident Evil, the games i played was mostly 2 and 3, did play the first one...as a Remake on the DS for a few minutes, unsure if the control scheme made it bad, or if it's just the game...

But how does it change from a New York-esque thing about 2 or so Cop Survivors with above view angles and actual horror at night, to first person shooters with a grid-based inventory where Zones are more like replayable stages set somewhere what seems to be Africa/Mexico during the daytime?

In other note, Capcom really should make a HD Resident Evil Trilogy, I'd probably buy it in an instant.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
If they make it a proper survival horror game I might be interested. Otherwise Im passing.

I guess RE6 had lackluster sales for them to be saying this? I cant imagine they would do it without suffering a big loss

Bashfluff

Jan 28, 2012
Haha. A direct about face. That'll teach them. But knowing Capcom, it'll go backwards too far and make a game with the same shitty camera and controls, not realizing the gains that they had made with RE4. Does anyone there know what they're doing? Anyone?

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Obviously they should reboot the whole franchise with a sweary, hobo protagonist.
Shit! That actually sounds interesting!

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
This'll be fun, they'll have someone change one of the character designs and all we'll hear for 6 f*cking months is how its terrible and then everything else about it will by extension be deemed terrible based on the imagination of the "real fans" (which appears to be slang for, slates every game that comes out and still thinks they should be the target audience)

Yeeeeep, let the good times roll.

StupidNincompoop

Oct 27, 2012
Whatever they do with it, it'll end up bad because capcom will find a way to ruin it just like they do with everything else lately.

I mean yeah i'd love to have a resident evil like 1-3 (well technically 1-outbreak because that was the last one before RE4), but it'll never happen because of how capcom will find a way to fuck it up, probably by adding micro transactions, DLC skins, advertisements in-game or something else.

oh also, no, they most likely won't have terrible controls and camera angles, i think they might have at least learnt from that. RE outbreak and RE 3 used less annoying camera angles and better controls.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
/shrug.

I've loved every game in the main series (except 6, haven't played it yet, likely won't until it's cheap)... yet REmake on the GameCube and RE2 are the only ones I ever really replay, so... can't say I care either way, as long as the game's fun.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just make good games again, Capcom. That's really all we're asking from you.

Resident Evil 6 wasn't bad because it wasn't scary or survival horror-y, it was bad because it was just really fucking disasterously... bad. The attempt to try and be every popular game on the market today didn't help much either.

What I'm trying to say is, just bring back Shinji Mikami.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I am ashamed to say I actually like RE:6 yeah sure, they tried to go over the top with the action of Chris' campaign, but that was mostly just Chris.

I enjoyed Leons campaign a great deal, some moments of the game just seemed to bring back the old puzzle feel and that awesome feeling of a scary environment. Things that come to mind immediately are the church, the church's cemetery, and I absolutely loved the subway level (the lighting in that when the zombies approach from beyond up past the bend, you look at your ammo count and can't help but be like "well fuck".

Also there were some new features gameplay wise I felt were great additions namely being

1: Ability to move and shoot.
2: Landing on your back and shooting
3: Quick Shot

I feel like I should mention something I have always loved about Capcom games is the level of control they gave you to do cool things with your character. Was it always the most practical move to shoot a grappling hook into an akrid back and ride him while shooting at him like a mad bastard in lost planet? No, but the fact that it was there was refreshing. I feel the same way about some of the movement changes added in RE:6 landing on your back and slowly crawling away from a horde of zombies while desperately trying to pick them off was not only cool, but gave that dramatic and intense "oh shit" feeling of being completely helpless that usually only came in a set area or cutscene in other games.

My main complaints about the game:

1: The inclusion of the quick melee system, it flat out made the game too easy. Whenever an enemy got close you would simply smash his teeth in like a judo master and move on with your life, I'm not saying smashing their teeth in isn't a realistic option when faced with certain death, but the complete ease at which the characters could perform these actions made the game to simple. See dead space for example, is melee and option? Sure. Will it get you anywhere in life? Not unless your life goal is to become a metal coated treat for the necromorphs.

2: Ability to crawl forward while on the ground, I have no idea who thought this was a good idea, it took the exact thing that made landing on your back cool, and turned it into something silly. Every co-op partner I was paired with chose to play the entirety of the level with their ass planted on the ground, scooting along the floor simply because it looked that ridiculous (you ever try doing something like that? It's nearly impossible)

3: The lack of the shop: Overall this was one of those fun features that just gave the game some more depth. Being able to customize your character with your favorite gun after testing the strengths and weaknesses of them was something I actually enjoyed in RE4 and RE5.

4: No samurai Edge, okay that is just me.

5: labs as far as the eye can see. While the city levels and more urban areas were done beautifully, I found that the overall look of the game just seemed to drop whenever I was in a lab of some sort. There was nothing unique about it, nothing to admire, it was always just a dingy room with computers and cramped hallways.

EDIT: Number 6: No zombies with fucking guns! I mean the police officer one in the city where fine, they made sense somewhat, but I am tired of my horror game turning into a cover based shooter whenever some asshole with a machine gun comes up. I find the entire concept of why their loyal to whoever is stupid, and why that despite the fact they are now bloodthirsty mutants, they retain their higher functions like the ability to use guns and helicopters.

Athefist

Nov 10, 2008
RE:4 remains one of my all time favorite video game experiences. If Capcom wants to win me back, go back to that title and give us another.