Retailers Warn "Project Ten Dollar" Will Hurt Consumers

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
if i find a new game is too expensive i generally wait for the the price to go down. i mean, used games aren't that much cheaper here in the UK. generally you can get a new game cheaper online than the store bought used game price anyway.

i got DA Origins Collector's Edition for £19.99 and Mass Effect 2 for £29.99, both brand new

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
My friend runs a small used games store. This is going to screw him over. There is no margin in new games sale for him as he can't buy in the bulk required to make a profit.
Well, so what?

What makes him more important than the developers of games who deserve to earn a profit for their work?
Well it means he could go out of business if such schemes catch on.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
I think that videogame companies are taking the wrong route in addressing used video game sales. Instead of trying to abolish them they could just compete with the retailers:

Publishers could start trade-in and resale programs to costumers. Print out and assemble a mailing slip, put your used game in the mail, receive publisher credit and/or money(paypal, cheque, etc). Not sure how much the mailing would cost the company, but it must be doable if others liek Netflix can do it. This would basically cut out the middle man, taking those hefty re-sale profits away from the gaming stores without significantly affecting the customer.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
The people who give a pittance for used games are worried about the consumer? pull the other one it plays jingle bells.

I almost always buy new, after being burnt on used a number of times in the past, discs scratched and basically unplayable, the price difference of $5-$10 is not worth it and I tell the people who annoy the hell out of me at the stores wanting me to trade in where to stick it.

Yea EA is bending us over, so what? Gaming companies have been doing it forever, I remember buying new games back in the 80s with code wheels.

Gaming stores are just as bad though.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
My friend runs a small used games store. This is going to screw him over. There is no margin in new games sale for him as he can't buy in the bulk required to make a profit.
Well, so what?

What make him more important than the developers of games who deserve to earn a profit for their work?
They already made a profit from their work during the intial sale. Now they want profit from someone else's work (i.e. the used game store). The publisher isn't investing any money buying back games that are no longer wanted. Yet they still want a cut from those sales. If publishers want to profit from used games sales, let them create their own trade-in programs.

I've always thought that EA was really sensitive to stopping trade-ins because most of their big sport franchises depend on the same people buying them year after year. People will be less likely to purchase the next installment of a sports franchise if they can't get rid of the previous version.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well, so what?

What makes him more important than the developers of games who deserve to earn a profit for their work?
Well, not every business can survive. That's life. You win some, you lose some.

mogamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well, so what?

What make him more important than the developers of games who deserve to earn a profit for their work?
They already made a profit from their work during the intial sale. Now they want profit from someone else's work (i.e. the used game store). The publisher isn't investing any money buying back games that are no longer wanted. Yet they still want a cut from those sales. If publishers want to profit from used games sales, let them create their own trade-in programs.
They don't just make games in one batch to go for one run of profit. Each game has a development cost to cover, and some games get VERY limited runs, meaning that every game not bought new cuts into profit, or even prevents them from making profit in the first place. That's how game companies die. Games cost a lot to make these days. Why do you think this "indie game" craze has caught on with the advent of digital distribution?

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something, but how will this affect consumers negatively? A new game comes with bonus DLC, but a used game is still a full game. That feels like a positive affect to me, but I suppose it depends how you look at it. Some people might feel entitled to it, like they're paying for an incomplete game, but that seems selfish to me; You paid less for a used copy, and you expect the same bonuses earned as someone who pays full price for a new copy? That sounds the same as complaining about collector's editions having more bonuses than a regular copy.

I like this bonus DLC plan, and hope they continue with it.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I have to say I like EA's thought on this they are not stopping the customer from being able to buy or sell their used games they are just giving incentive to buy the game new.
The gamers can still buy and sell used games they just may miss out on a small piece of the game unless they want to pay the 10 dollars to download the content that would have been free if they bought it new. Which as long as it is not a game changing piece of the story or gameplay then I am all for it. It is also giving the developers a way to possibly make some cash off of the games that are sold used.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
The Thief said:
That sounds the same as complaining about collector's editions having more bonuses than a regular copy.
You forgot the part where the normal copy has already been used...
The used video game market HAS to be available(not allowing resale of a game is the same as not allowing the resale of a painting or a book). That's why publishers are really being critiqued.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well, so what?

Then I guess he will have to do the same thing EA is doing. Find some way to increase his profits.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
I see this as a brilliant idea, on EA's behalf as it helps both the consumer and EA (+Developers) if bought first hand. But I have one minor quarrell with it, and you'll probably laugh me away saying some people can't be pleased, but I really just don't understand DLC, on the Xbox, fair enough as Microsoft force you to pay to have it on their, but on PC being a PC gamer I just don't see the need to pay for it, I bought a game assuming it was the full thing only to find I have half of it? Personally, I don't like that, I avoid games with DLC, or buy a GOTY/special edition which comes with the DLC.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
I love Project : Ten Dollar (or five pounds as I'm sure it's not called over here :p). It's nothing but a small perk to people who buy the game new, in a way that doesn't make it unplayable if you get it second hand. I think the consumer is the last person that should be bitching.

I'm not surprised retailers are bitching about this, I'm fairly certain their profit margins are higher on used games. I do wish they wouldn't dress it up like they're thinking of the consumer, though.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
fundayz said:
The Thief said:
That sounds the same as complaining about collector's editions having more bonuses than a regular copy.
You forgot the part where the normal copy has already been used...
The used video game market HAS to be available(not allowing resale of a game is the same as not allowing the resale of a painting or a book). That's why publishers are really being critiqued.
Hmm? Whether it has been used or not is irrelevant so long as the condition is the same. Strictly talking about bonus content.

The used video game market IS still available with this bonus DLC plan in effect. The publishers are offering incentive to buy new, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing wrong here is with retailers treating these used games as incomplete, offering less for trade-ins.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
From what I gather, the game is still playable and enjoyable (provided it is a good game, based on personal taste) without the DLC? I know a lot of gamers are all for having a "complete" experience, and a lot of people strive to master 100% of a game for whatever reason, but for the average gamer, I think the DLC is irrelevant. An extra mission or two, or something equivalent that might improve the experience of the game, but you can still have fun without it at an affordable price used. This might be a weird predatory practice by developers who are taking advantage of a particular type of gamer. Just a thought.

Another interesting thought - how does this affect Wii used sales? I don't play my Wii very often, but I'm not aware of any DLC because of the lack of a harddrive to save it to (or at least, a sizable harddrive). I'm waiting to pick up No More Heroes 2 used, and I'm safely guessing I won't have to drop $10 for add-ons.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Silly EA, first it c*ckblocks the installation of RA3 (with the limited installation and the 19 character code when there's supposed to be 20) and now this...they should learn to use what has been proven as efficient instead of trying new things that only piss consumers off :(