Review: Alan Wake

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Thank you, Susan, you have convinced me to buy it. Also, wise words from Alan at the end.

Martster

Rated EC-10 Condemned
Mar 17, 2010
I'm so glad I have the Special Edition pre-ordered now.

I thought I was taking a gamble on this but now after seeing lots of 9/10's and similar I just cant wait to get my hands on it. I love games with a great story and this a game built around a story so it could just be my favourite game of the year, hope so :D.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
Interesting. You comment on the sort of out of context minigame/QTEs that pull you out of the experience and this got me thinking of the QTEtastic Heavy Rain. If the QTEs were more well integrated into the game experience, as they supposedly are in HR, would that have helped maintain the immersion or was it more the fact that they were QTEs in the first place?
If they were less of a slap in the face, I don't think I'd have minded them all that much. I appreciate that in places they're in place to create tension or fear - trying to rev up a generator while Taken are in hot pursuit, for example. But the rest of Wake's gameplay is so unobtrusive that to suddenly have a big green "A" staring you in the face is very jarring.

They didn't bother me at all in Heavy Rain, largely, I think, because hitting controller buttons was intrinsic to the gameplay no matter what you were doing, QTE or not. The instruction to hit X didn't feel like it was suddenly coming out of nowhere, because you'd been doing that the whole time.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Awwh i can't wait much longer for this game! It isn't realised in Sweden until the 14th... And the limited edition looks awesome!

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Hmmm, I can already hear Yahtzee calling this a Silent Hill rip off and condemning it to the ninth circle of hell for it since we all know how much of a SH fanboy he is....lol

That and the game I've heard ends with a cliffhanger...lol

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Thank you for the brilliant review, Susan. I would've picked the game up anyway (been waiting 5 years), but it's great to have such an obvious recommendtaion from the magazine that I trust the most.
Can't wait!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fuck me, is Alan voiced by Carth Onasi?!

I'm glad this turned out really well; I can't wait to pick it up. Lucky me that it's my birthday Tuesday, and it's out on Friday so I'll have some moneyz spare.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
My God. This is making my choice harder and harder. Splinter cell is officially out, but now it is between this and Red dead Redemption.

Damn you Susan!

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
My God. This is making my choice harder and harder. Splinter cell is officially out, but now it is between this and Red dead Redemption.

Damn you Susan!
Red Dead seems to have more replay value and longer play, thats what i'm getting at least. Alan Wake will have to be bought another time unfortunatly...

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Great review Susan. I feel much more confident in my preorder of the game now, and can't wait to pop it in the machine.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Woodsey said:
Fuck me, is Alan voiced by Carth Onasi?!
He's voiced by Mathew Poretta. You know, the guy from Men In Tights [http://lea87.blogs.allocine.fr/blogsdatas/mdata/1/6/7/Z20051005084305673584761/img/1996-97_matthew_porretta.jpg].

Carth was a guy called Raphael Sbarge.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Flamezdudes said:
Tdc2182 said:

Damn you Susan!
Red Dead seems to have more replay value and longer play, thats what i'm getting atleast. Alan Wake will have to got another time unforunatly...
Two completely different experiences but, yes, Red Dead absolutely has more replay value, as well as multiplayer, co-op, and suchlike.

PlayingOpossum

May 5, 2010
That was a great review, and it made me very happy that I have my pre-orders structured so that I receive Alan Wake before I receive Red Dead Redemption. I want to devote a good number of days to getting the wits scared out of me before jumping into the land of do-as-you-please.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The mystery of Bright Falls will only stay a mystery for so long, because eventually the game will end and the truth will be revealed.
Does that mean the mystery doesn't change depending on what choices you've made during the game? Is this game also afflicted with Heavy Rain's flaw?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm REALLY on the fence with this game.

On the one hand it seems to go for kind of different type of fear - sort of cozy and rustic a la Twin Peaks - wich I seriously dig. On the other hand.......uhmmmmm........... Ah fuck, I think I'm gonna have to buy this game.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I think I'll get this after reading your review. I honestly didn't believe it would live up to the hype. Having said that I still want a couple of more dragonage play throughs, then play Arkham asylum and Mass Effect 2. The price should have dropped by then.