Review: Alan Wake

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Hubilub said:
I still can't get over the fact that huge flying objects just casually bump off Alan.
That was my reaction to watching the review supplement. "Oh, right, duck a train car, he's toast...er...wait, what? Is that a Nerf train or is Alan secretly Kryptonian?" I'd add that to the list of immersion breaks.

Hm. I'm not the type to directly request things, as that's silly, but I can't help thinking a game like this must be on Yahtzee's radar. Assuming it ever emerges in Australia.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Wait, this game came out so suddenly? I thought the release was still months away...

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Halo? Never really understood it's popularity, at least from playing Halo 1 and 2 on PC

GoW? I played 1 on my comp, it was pretty fun, but I don't cry that I cannot play 2.

Mass Effect? I have a gaming PC.

So yeah, Alan Wake is the first game, that makes me feel bad for not owning X360. I so want to play that...

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Damn it, why doesn't this come to the PC? OK, it may, but it's going to be (I guess) at least a year.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really, really looking forward to this one and this has only made me more excited for it!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Nice review Susan... I am hoping to pick up Alan Wake in a couple of weeks when my girlfriend is done playing Dragon Age.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I would definitely buy this... if it was for PC. I don't have a 360, and don't intend to get one. Hopefully we will see a PC port of this game sometime in the future.

Ardna Xela

May 28, 2009
Only 8 more days until my Limited Edition arrives. God, those days will be painfully long.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Until Alan Wake, I didn't mind not having a 360. All the games I wanted were also on either PS3 or PC. Now, I'm a little more bothered.

P.S. Thanks

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Tdc2182 said:
My God. This is making my choice harder and harder. Splinter cell is officially out, but now it is between this and Red dead Redemption.

Damn you Susan!
Red Dead seems to have more replay value and longer play, thats what i'm getting at least. Alan Wake will have to be bought another time unfortunatly...
That was exactly what I was thinking. I think Wake looks a bit more enjoyable in the short term, but Red Dead Redemption looks like a fun dicking-around game. I am gonna have to drw straws or something.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Two completely different experiences but, yes, Red Dead absolutely has more replay value, as well as multiplayer, co-op, and suchlike.
I watched the review a few hours ago and I dont remember hearing anything, but did you mention how long a playthrough is? If it is a longish game I might choose this over Red Dead.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tdc2182 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Two completely different experiences but, yes, Red Dead absolutely has more replay value, as well as multiplayer, co-op, and suchlike.
I watched the review a few hours ago and I dont remember hearing anything, but did you mention how long a playthrough is? If it is a longish game I might choose this over Red Dead.
Depends on what you mean by "longish", really. I also don't know how long the single-player mode of RDR is, so comparing the two is pretty apples and oranges. They're just such different experiences.

Chaya

Apr 27, 2010
And it's not coming to the PC. I'm only finding about this now. Damn. They introduced the game all those years ago, showcasing DX10 and how it runs on a Quad core and that everything is great about it. Then, a few months before launch they drop the PC port. I'm just speechless. Darn whoever is responsible.

Has anyone seen any news of there being a PC version in the future?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
ARGH SPOILERS IN THE REVIEW WHYYYYY

I was very interested in this game, although from the trailers it looked like it might end up as a well-meaning failure, like Alone in the Dark (although I haven't played that and suspect I would enjoy it if I did). I'm glad it turned out OK. I might have to buy it if it's not available at my rental.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
One review actually said "Better than Silent Hill 2"

I might have to believe them, now.