Review: Alpha Protocol

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Wasn't ever gonna buy this game but... Just wanted to say that for the escapist to tell it like it is on a game that has been a major advertiser is a great bit of integrity. Thanks to all the review staff once again.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Sigh. Still continuing with the love/hate relationship with Obsidian. They always come so close to making a stellar game...hopefully one of these days they can pull it together and overcome their faults, whatever they are (I'm guessing poor management and overbearing publishers).

Still looking forward to New Vegas though. If they screw that up (which would essentially be taking Fallout 3 and ruining it - it would have to be a spectacular failure), that'll be the end.

qwagor said:
That is precisely what I hate about most game reviewers. Stop trying to be so bloody objective! Reading between the lines of this review I figured that Susan quite liked the thing but was worried that Joe G Public cannot enjoy what is actually a good game because it's not polished enough.
There's a difference between lack of polish and brokenness, though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yossarian1507 said:
Susan Arendt said:
If it weren't for the bugs, I'd have given the game a 3. It's still only half a game, but there's fun to be had. But given how broken it is, I had to mark it down.

Also, just because I enjoy a game, that doesn't mean the game is good. When reviewing a game, you have to keep the greater audience in mind. Sure, I enjoy that the AI is so stupid they never hear me coming, because I'm really lousy at stealth, but will the typical person looking for a fun spy experience feel the same way? Probably not. And while I might be willing to put up with intermittent control issues because I find the RPG elements to be a hoot, it's unreasonable to expect the same of someone else. All I can do is tell people that these things happen and let them decide how to proceed.
Uhm... Games are supposed to be an enjoyment. So, if you're enjoying the game then yes - it is good. At least for you, despite every bug or bad mechanic you'll encounter. If you're having fun - mission accomplished.

Every gamer should seek through the words if either the game is good for him or not.
I agree completely. The game is enjoyable for me personally, but it's easy to see how others might not share that enjoyment. This is why we have a written review, to try and give you the full picture, and allow you to decide for yourself whether or not the game is worth a shot.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
The game looks decent enough to me, PC port will certainly be the most "Playable", but has anybody else noticed how desperately unfunny Susan is?

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Hm, think I'll get in a while, when some of the bugs may have been cleared up.

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
pneuma08 said:
Sigh. Still continuing with the love/hate relationship with Obsidian. They always come so close to making a stellar game...hopefully one of these days they can pull it together and overcome their faults, whatever they are (I'm guessing poor management and overbearing publishers).

Still looking forward to New Vegas though. If they screw that up (which would essentially be taking Fallout 3 and ruining it - it would have to be a spectacular failure), that'll be the end.

qwagor said:
That is precisely what I hate about most game reviewers. Stop trying to be so bloody objective! Reading between the lines of this review I figured that Susan quite liked the thing but was worried that Joe G Public cannot enjoy what is actually a good game because it's not polished enough.
There's a difference between lack of polish and brokenness, though.
I agree, but I got the feeling that game isn't broken (at least not on PC and 360) just sort of... under developed. I also got the feeling that it's something I might enjoy (interesting and well told story? choices that are squarely in the grey area and do affect the way story plays out? stealth play with miopic NPCs hard of hearing? Yes, please). I also have pre-emptive low expectations and at GBP 24.99 (USD 36.51) it is affordable mistake. I shall know in 2h26m...

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Nimbus said:
I never noticed any control problems or visual glitches on the PC version. Bad port maybe?
The PC was a port of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions. Also, I can confirm that I have had absolutely no problems on the Xbox 360.

Maybe the review versions sent out were f---ed up the arse? Cause I haven't had any problems whatsoever. In fact, I freaking love the game!

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
Although I was honestly rooting for Obsidian here, I was expecting very little after playing KOTOR II. It seems they just don't know how to finish making a game before releasing it.

This bodes poorly for New Vegas.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I wish companies would do something to salvage things like this. A lot of these ideas seem really good, just crappy workmanship. Ya I know AI is beyond tweaks and polish, but I'd buy this game if they got a good review from escapist. Plus, the bad reviews will act like a skeleton to scare other companies from making a similar game. So RPG and spies won't be together in any future games for a while.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's a shame. I wonder if the PC version will be getting a patch?... I don't worry too much about minor graphic glitches, but controller glitches are another kettle o' fish.

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
That's a shame... it looked like a really sweet idea too. Thanks Susan for the honest review about the bugs. I'm sure it'd be awesome if Ubisoft worked on it :)

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Nimbus said:
I never noticed any control problems or visual glitches on the PC version. Bad port maybe?
That's what I am thinking, as I have had no problems with the pC version. I did have the controls not respond once, but that was cause the batteries in my keyboard died >_>

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
This was nearly Obsidian's last hope. If they mess up New Vegas I expect the studio to fold. They really had no excuse with this, no strict timeline, not like KOTOR 2 (which considering the development time was a great game - Obsidian's only saving grace).

Obsidian is ending up like Ed Wood. Has the passion but not the talent.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
I'm on my third playthrough and I have yet to run into the mass number of bugs people are bitching about. Only a few times has the AI retarded out on me and most graphical glitches have been few and far between. As for the shooting, well it's trying to be somewhat realistic in the fact that you have to steady your aim before you can start putting caps between eyes. There are glitches but the story and the working parts of the gameplay over ride that for me.

I'm quite shocked this review failed to even mention the story and the fact you have so many different ways of playing through the game or the fact that there are about 32 endings depending on what choices you made or the fact that people will react and mention things you have done and said in the past and that this will affect how you are percieved in the game .

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Two Angels said:
As for the shooting, well it's trying to be somewhat realistic in the fact that you have to steady your aim before you can start putting caps between eyes. There are glitches but the story and the working parts of the gameplay over ride that for me.
Not at five meters, and only a little bit more at thirty-five.
And the extent of my firearms training was a powerpoint presentation and a trip to the shooting range. I didn't even make Marksman and barely qualified.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hotshots said:
The game looks decent enough to me, PC port will certainly be the most "Playable", but has anybody else noticed how desperately unfunny Susan is?
I wasn't trying to be funny. Perhaps that's why you didn't think I was.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Um.. thought about something. :D ...can anyone who has played the game explain how the aiming/shooting system works?

Korhal

Jun 9, 2008
I love the game, to be honest. I'm about 80% of the way through it on the PS3, and I don't understand how my experience is so different from most other peoples.

Yes, the graphics are bad, but that doesn't bother me. The texture pop is, for the most part, minimal, the lip syncing isn't bad... I think that the numerous delays just make the graphics seem worse than they would've been.

The stealth isn't entirely broken. Your armor choices, the speed you move, the powers you utilize all make a difference. Don't put any points into stealth, and if you don't stay far, far away using silenced weapons, the enemies will respond. Sure, sometimes you get away with sneaking up on someone you shouldn't have, and sometimes an enemy will spot you from across the way, but I think the hidden dice have something to do with that, not just less than stellar AI. My biggest issue here was that the bodies disappeared, so unless an enemy was staring at another enemy when you shot him, you could get away with it. The bad AI comes in smaller doses, like climbing ladders mid firefight, or not taking cover. But even that doesn't bother me so much... mooks are always stupid in spy movies. Also, they can never hit for anything, so really, if this was accurate to spy movies, I'd never get hit, except maybe in a dramatic cutscene.

I didn't have any control issues either, other than the occasional issue of what I have dubbed "Gearsofwaritis", wherein too much shit is mapped to one button. Cover, drop from ledge, pick up loot, hack, lethal takedowns.... sometimes it would mess that up, but not often. The closest thing to a control issue I can think of is a flincky camera in tight spaces... it zooms in too close and is a tad uncontrollable.

And actually, the guns do play fairly differently. Each one has its own mechanic. Pistols must be trained on a person to activate their critical hit, but you can move the cursor and maintain that damage bonus as long as you stay on your target, with a skill that lets you stop time to aim a bunch of shots a la Red Dead Redemption's Dead Eye. ARs don't need to stay on a target, but they lose their critical hit if you adjust your aim, though they have a skill that lets the game track an enemy for you while still gaining critical. Shotguns build up knockdown chance the longer you aim down the sights, with an ability that removes the need for charge time to get said knockdown. Get full, and even one pellet will knock someone down from well beyond the range a shotgun does any respectable damage (which seems to me like a perfect use for Flechette rounds). And SMGs build damage the longer you spray one target, and they have a skill that lets you have a bottomless clip, so who needs accuracy? Sure, you're likely to stick with your favorite, and maybe have a few points in a backup but that happens in every game (Hell, that's how I played Mass Effect too), plus you can only carry two guns anyway.

But really, the key here is the story, which as Ms. Arendt says is quite good. The voice acting is generally good, the story is fun and believable and more dynamic than just about any other game out there (where what you do, how you do it, and in what order actually dramatically change the story), the characters are interesting and engaging, and you can feel your impact on it.

Honestly, I think Alpha Protocol's biggest roadblock is that most reviewers seemed to have wanted Mass Effect 3: The Moderning (yes, I made up a word). And while it bears a resemblance on the surface, it's not that. Sure, it could've used more polish, and the AI could've used a bit of beefing up. But the game is still good, and it's gotten an unfairly harsh rap.

Story: 5
Graphics: 2
Gameplay: 3 for the action, 5 for the dialogue
Sound: 2 for the SFX, 4 for the voice acting
Replayability: Well once I beat it tonight, I plan to immediately restart and pick different stuff, so 5.
TOTAL: 4 out of 5

As a side note, I think this may be one of the first times I've disagreed with Ms. Arendt.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Huge bonus points for the designers who selected the nice 2-step garage track at the opening sequence ;)