-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
-Stranger- said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
-Stranger- said:
Susan Arendt said:
DaxStrife said:
The gameplay of AC always bores me, but I muck through it for the story. I didn't give two craps about the jerk in the last game, I just played through the levels to get back to Desmond. How long are the levels in this one compared to the first game?
I think you'll care more about Ezio than you did about Altair, but you don't actually go back to see Desmond in between levels.
Well, you do, but not even close to as often. Besides that, the Desmond sections are much more fun, as they now consist of more than walking around 2 small rooms.

CrazyHaircut94 said:
Kermi said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I too have a compulsion to stab the minstrels. Seriously, whenever they run by they just disturb me.
Once I got tired of throwing money on the ground, I found drawing my sword to be an effective technique. One minstrel ran up to me, I quietly draw my sword, and he dropped his lute and changed direction.

Little touches like that fill in the gaps nicely, for me. If anything the thing I like least is finding the seals. I'm finding the jumping puzzles a bit tedious.
I found them fun, but the controls made them somewhat painful. When I want to jump to the right, Ezio jumps left into a haystack. When I want to jump right-forward to a platform, he jumps down to the right. Thanks, that's what I want, repeat the last half hour of getting up where I was.
This is my main issue. The game often demands more precision than the controls allow. When you're jumping across the rooftops in any direction you want, it works great, but when you're confined to a narrow corridor, platforming your way across beams and broken architecture, it can get more than a little infuriating. Also, while I really liked the combat in the first one, I thought it sucked pretty hard this time around. Disappointing, considering how they improved every other aspect of the game. The combat in particular seemed like it had a lot of potential to be great, if they had just made the enemies smarter, but this did not happen. In fact, they may have gotten dumber.
It's like they're trying to work up the courage to attack. "Okay, I can do this. I will attack now. I will attack now. I will... Oh, that guy's going in. I guess I'll go in after."
And it feels like they wait even longer this time around. Not only that, but counter kills are even easier to pull off, so any challenge there was pretty much left the room as soon as you were allowed to carry a weapon. Oh, yeah, and the strafe ability is useless. Sure, you can get behind your opponent and finish him with one quick stab, but when you compare how often that actually works to how often you'll get hit in the face trying, it hardly seems worth the effort.
Yeah, I think that sums it up quite well, really.
Why thank you. Nice review, I forgot to say. I got caught up in bashing the combat.

Korth13

May 22, 2009
Love the game, its great. You are pretty much invicible in combat but I do enjoy disarming a brute and planting his axe in his head then pushing his standing corpe over.

laryri

May 19, 2008
I actually liked the first one more. The assassinations seemed very on-rails instead of the more free-form assassinations of the first.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It looks interesting, I said that about the first one though and never got round to playing it. And hey, at least the combat isn't as awful as Velvet Assassin, from the sounds of it it's hit the other end of the difficulty scale there. Also I resent the Britsh comment, I went to a boarding school and I do not talk like that lol!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Azure-Supernova said:
It looks interesting, I said that about the first one though and never got round to playing it. And hey, at least the combat isn't as awful as Velvet Assassin, from the sounds of it it's hit the other end of the difficulty scale there. Also I resent the Britsh comment, I went to a boarding school and I do not talk like that lol!
Hey, nothing wrong with being polite! :)

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Assassin's Creed 2

Assassin's Creed 2 è molto, molto buono (is very, very good).

Read Full Article
Tuo parli l'italiano?

Sorry about that, I took an italian course :D

I know why Ezio is using the villa as a resort! No shady guild does business without a front!
The last place you'd expect to find a group of assassins is in a resort

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Wow cool, I really want to get this game now! I really would like to see how challenging the puzzles you described are.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Now, we wait for the botched PC release that many people have a shit of a time installing. As long as the game is better than the first, I'll try it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
HentMas said:
well... since i loved the first one, this on is more of the same but sligtly improved, i will buy it once i finish paying the special edition of MW2...

damn night vision googles...
Slightly improved? Play it. Trust me, you won't believe how much better it is.

And I was also one of the ones who thoroughly enjoyed the first.

EDIT: Also, kudos for writing a review which is almost spot-on (can't say I ever had any troubles with the free running except in a couple of very isolated incidents) whilst revealing no plot-points.

Most other reviewers can't seem to bear saying whether the plot works/connects with the player without spoiling chunks of it.

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
Ok, this person definitely did not play the game through to completion. Block&counter is a good way to die fighting brutes and seekers, unless you have the hidden blade equipped, in which case combat takes forever.

The enemies don't all take turns attacking you; this reveiwer is going to hell for lying. Much the contrary, there are some times an enemy will attack you when you're in the middle of an attack animation against another enemy and can't do a thing about it (again, this happens much more often late game). Which is a shame because I didn't think the first AC's combat had anything wrong with it.

And lastly, the video of the truth I wouldn't say is very confusing once you actually unlock the whole thing. The dialogue more or less clears it up when paired with the game's ending. What makes it confusing is that in the initial steps, there's no sound and it's fragmented.

All in all, it's pretty obvious that this reveiwer just played the first couple hours and not the complete game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
daheikmeister said:
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Assassin's Creed 2

Read Full Article
Tuo parli l'italiano?

I know why Ezio is using the villa as a resort! No shady guild does business without a front!
The last place you'd expect to find a group of assassins is in a resort
Speak it? No. Love it? Oh, dear lord, yes.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Being born and raised in San Gimignano, I was very disappointed in seeing that it's very different from the actual town. Monteriggioni is even worse, it has nothing in common with the real one (even though I can understand the poetic license needed to fit in the "SimCity" part).

daheikmeister said:
Tuo parli l'italiano?
No offense, but you may have to study it more. What you wrote is "your speak the Italian?", the correct phrase is "(tu) parli italiano?". The pronoun is generally omitted in informal speech.

Susan Arendt said:
While I'm at it: this phrase is correct, but semantically is not very beautiful; I'm gonna have a hard time explaining, but basically if you say only "buono" it sort of means good like good food (has a good taste), else you should say "buon(o) ", in this case "a good game" = "un buon gioco". A more common phrase would be "è molto, molto bello" ("bello" = beautiful), because "bello" has a broader meaning that just being beautiful (again, it's not easy to explain).

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Viruzzo said:
Being born and raised in San Gimignano, I was very disappointed in seeing that it's very different from the actual town. Monteriggioni is even worse, it has nothing in common with the real one (even though I can understand the poetic license needed to fit in the "SimCity" part).

daheikmeister said:
Tuo parli l'italiano?
No offense, but you may have to study it more. What you wrote is "your speak the Italian?", the correct phrase is "(tu) parli italiano?". The pronoun is generally omitted in informal speech.

Susan Arendt said:
While I'm at it: this phrase is correct, but semantically is not very beautiful; I'm gonna have a hard time explaining, but basically if you say only "buono" it sort of means good like good food (has a good taste), else you should say "buon(o) ", in this case "a good game" = "un buon gioco". A more common phrase would be "è molto, molto bello" ("bello" = beautiful), because "bello" has a broader meaning that just being beautiful (again, it's not easy to explain).
Sorry, did the best I could without knowing the language.

Krythe said:
Ok, this person definitely did not play the game through to completion. Block&counter is a good way to die fighting brutes and seekers, unless you have the hidden blade equipped, in which case combat takes forever.

The enemies don't all take turns attacking you; this reveiwer is going to hell for lying. Much the contrary, there are some times an enemy will attack you when you're in the middle of an attack animation against another enemy and can't do a thing about it (again, this happens much more often late game). Which is a shame because I didn't think the first AC's combat had anything wrong with it.

And lastly, the video of the truth I wouldn't say is very confusing once you actually unlock the whole thing. The dialogue more or less clears it up when paired with the game's ending. What makes it confusing is that in the initial steps, there's no sound and it's fragmented.

All in all, it's pretty obvious that this reveiwer just played the first couple hours and not the complete game.
Wow, going to hell for lying, eh? No, the enemies don't literally take it in turns to attack you every single time (not that I claimed they did), but it certainly happens often enough to sap much of the enjoyment out of the combat.

As for saying the video of the truth makes sense once you've seen all of it...well, duh. Of course it does. You seem to be confusing my desire to not provide spoilers with not knowing what I'm talking about. The confusion of piecing together "the truth" is in fact part of what makes it enjoyable...just like any good mystery.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Sorry, did the best I could without knowing the language.
I totally understand, I just like educating (read: nitpicking), actually yours is a very good phrase compared to many that I've seen around now that the game has come out.
BTW good review, I can't wait to lay my hands on it, even more so since I liked the first one quite a lot, even with the repetitive sub-missions (I actually did all of them).

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
For me, this game is probably game of the year - it expands on everything that made the first game good without loses its charm or originality. The story is very well told, the world incredibly large and yet so detailed - and for once an open-world lead character is actually interesting and develops over the course off the game...

In all : Buy it - you won't be disappointed.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I too found myself hating the minstrels for a long time. Towards the end of the game I was running past one and I knocked his guitar out of his had. He got all emotional about it and said "But I wrote it for YOU." After that I just couldn't kill them anymore. I don't know why, but I just felt bad.

disill

Nov 17, 2009
I really really like this game. I enjoyed the original quite a bit, though the end was godawful. I'm hoping it's better this time round (I'm very nearly there). I have to say I enjoyed obtaining all the seals, it was reminiscent of the Prince of Persia puzzles (not a huge surprise I suppose, both are ubisoft games), which I liked, though I can see why people are unhappy with the controls, they just don't always respond in the right way. Anyway, good review, excellent game.