Review: Assassin's Creed 2

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Ok, am I misreading or has this game transformed into Scavenger Hunt version 13? Because if it really has...
/facepalm

And the combat still sucks? Damn...

NicotineStainedSoul

Jan 24, 2009
I'm still unsure if I want to buy this after the disappointment the first one was for me.

Ive noticed a few people mention minstrels asking for money, if these guys are as annoying as the beggars from the first game, I'll definately pass. They annoyed the hell out of me.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
I would honestly find myself shooting thieves and not taking my money back just because they p*** me off so much.

I love the game overall; the story is amazing to say the least; and if I had one wish for improvement it would be the over-sensitive free running and faster fighting.

I love the realism of the fencing/counter system as opposed to a less assassin-like hack and slash; but the guards should man up and attack;

I also want to be able to counter seekers and brutes with my sword; I don't like the hidden blades or disarming.

I like bad ass swordsmanship;

One last complaint - when they say 'Counters instantly kill enemies' in the game manual; they f****** lie! It takes 5 counters to kill a heavy armored basic guard and the fact they take ages to attack exacerbates this.

I do love assassin's creed 2 though.

One last personal message for Susan; I'm currently going into Games Journalism for college (Dream job); Any words from the wise to a beginner?

EDIT; Need to stop beginning every sentence with I

BlaRe

Nov 29, 2009
What Susan didn't mention is that there was a low key sequal that probably took 2 months for them to throw together for the psp. without going into my own detail of that game, you can link up the psp game to the ps3 copy of assassin's creed II and quickly gain money and weapons based on how far you are in the psp game. once i completed the assassin's creed bloodlines, and synched the to games, the final sword from the psp was my strongest weapon all the way up until i got altair's sword in the 9th or 10th memory sequence of assassin's creed 2.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Cmwissy said:
One last complaint - when they say 'Counters instantly kill enemies' in the game manual; they f****** lie! It takes 5 counters to kill a heavy armored basic guard and the fact they take ages to attack exacerbates this.
They meant hidden blade counters. Which are always an instant kill.

I really enjoyed the combat. I wasn't expecting to be a minority here, but I guess that's how things roll.
I think it's because I played around with it. I'd swap weapons, I'd just beat up on the enemy, I'd run up walls then jump down and assassinate the enemy.
I like that they improved the way the combat worked in terms of the combo system. If you can keep a steady combo, you'll kill them before you've completely whittled down their health, as you stagger them. I thought that was a nice touch.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Caimekaze said:
Cmwissy said:
They meant hidden blade counters. Which are always and instant kill.

I really enjoyed the combat. I wasn't expecting to be a minority here, but I guess that's how it rolls.
I think it's because I played around with it. I'd swap weapons, I'd just beat up on the enemy, I'd run up walls then jump down and assassinate the enemy.
I like that they improved the way the combat worked in terms of the combo system. If you can keep a steady combo, you'll kill them before you've completely whittled down their health, as you stagger them. I thought that was a nice touch.
The bad part about this is - I don't like the hidden blade.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Cmwissy said:
Well, then, you're not going to get instant kill counters. That's just how it works, unfortunately.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Caimekaze said:
Cmwissy said:
Well, then, you're not going to get instant kill counters. That's just how it works, unfortunately.
I don't understand why the hidden blade deserves those instant kill counters and the small knives do not.

Or altairs epic sword.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Cmwissy said:
I don't understand why the hidden blade deserves those instant kill counters and the small knives do not.

Or altairs epic sword.
Because a sword or a knife is much, much easier to block than a blade which only springs out when it needs to. Especially a sword.
But if you want to use those weapons, you don't really need to counter; if you get a nice flow going, you'll kill them quickly regardless. Or grab them and press attack.

scott.shearon

Nov 30, 2009
Great game. First one was a little disappointing and this one wasn't perfect but a great game none the less. (still hate the parts in the present... they are slow in this one and I just wanted to get through them to get back to the past. Still better than the first one though)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm so far the combat has been fun
haha definitely not a real challenge
but oddly I prefer it that way =/
like, I like kicking ass in combat
and then be challenged by walls
(I was almost afraid that Crackdown had bored me to death in terms of open world faffing about on the rooftops lol)

tho for someone's first time playing AC, I thought the platforming controls are great
well, except when I'm going really fast and then turn a corner and then I'm not fast enough (is anyone?) to move my thumb down to the right stick to turn the camera and...go flying down several hundred feet...crap lol

and another thing, this game is way too addicting
like, I'll sit down to play, and 3-4 hours later I'm like "wut..."
I usually don't play anymore than 1.8-2 hours haha (oww my time management is going way down right now)

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I'm sorry Susan, but I'm going to have to say you broke your promise at the end of the review, that there would be "a lot to love" for each of us.

Seriously, this was a moot attempt. A game in which the main theme is killing, needs to have a good combat system. Not press two buttons to win. And that is what this is.

Yes, there's strategy involved. Yes, there's a nice environment. But these can only be called additions to a core mechanic that MUST work for the game to be worthy of love.

Call me a cynic if you will, but I refuse to pay Ubisoft for an unimproved core system, which STILL has the hay bags, which STILL has a token "annoying" character which you run into more than one of in any given street (the beggar was in AC, and now the ministrel in ACII). These things would remind me too much of the farce that was spending full price for AC, which, for anyone from the gaming generation spoiled by the likes of Zelda: OoT or anything good released during the 90's, is just not good enough.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I very strongly disagree with it. "Growing pains" is an understatement. "Fundamentally flawed waste of money when there is much better out there to buy, for less money" is much more accurate.

REAPER5594

Nov 3, 2009
I wish there was an animation where you could steal a minstrel's lute? lay? gay-ass guitar? and then beat 'em with it.

Coheart

Nov 18, 2009
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the ending, it made me want to rip my hair out. ubsoft dose not know how to end a game.