Review: Breach

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Looking through my library of games, I think the last thing I need is to waste more money on a sub-par shooter. I especially shouldn't waste money on a sub-par shooter that does nothing different other then to add a pointless cover system and destructible environments, which have been around since.....I don't know, 2006?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Mysnomer said:
Telperion said:
Huh...that's funny. I swear I could do just about all the same demolition things in BFBD 2.

Blowing up walls to kill enemies on the other side. Check.
Collapsing buildings on top of your enemies. Check.
Wow, okay, seriously? I'm pretty sick of hearing this. Did nobody see Russ's preview of Breach? I'm not going to say it's a good game, but the level of destruction is far beyond BC2's shallow capabilities. In BC, the same walls come off the same way, every time; the houses (but only certain ones) collapse the same way, every time; the fences are the only things which respond dynamically. In Breach, you can shoot individual bricks out of walls; they have a structure on a cliff side with wooden supports, and if you take out the supports, the whole thing falls down. Seriously, if BC2 could support Breach's destruction while maintaining their graphical standard and huge levels, the game would have been a technological marvel (although Mortar spam would be even more overpowered).
So its more like Red Faction Guerrilla, which, in my opinion, has even better destructible environment then this game.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Well, this is the first I've heard of this game. Multiplayer only? When I already have 4 COD games, Halo Reach and Battlefield? Nah.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
HankMan said:
So this game is just Breaching off the genre? Meh
It doesn't even look as good as MW2
You miss out on plenty of great games if the look is important enough to bold it for you.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
The whole point of Six Days In Fallujah was to make a game experience that conveyed to gamers what the soldiers went through, keep them up on current events (how many people heard of conflict in Fallujah before the game?), and to provide them with a game that offered more insight into war than our current generation of shooters.

By releasing part of it as multiplayer-only, they effectively destroy everything the game set out to achieve and turn it into a game that's solely focused on killing. I'm surprised that a game with depth and realistic views on war is deemed "too controversial" in America, but a game that trivializes war and murder is perfectly acceptable.
Oh wait. That's not surprising at all.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?
Bad Company 2 pretended to have it rather poorly, hence why I'd have liked to see in the review, if breach is lying about it as well, or if they have the real thing.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Zannah said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?
Bad Company 2 pretended to have it rather poorly, hence why I'd have liked to see in the review, if breach is lying about it as well, or if they have the real thing.
Did you actually play Bad Company 2 or do you just want to hate AAA FPS titles? Because Bad Company 2 implemented it pretty well.

TroubleGirl

Jan 23, 2011
Another game which I might buy at later date, by then I'll probably find something more fun xD I wish they added single player mode or something.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
HankMan said:
theultimateend said:
HankMan said:
So this game is just Breaching off the genre? Meh
It doesn't even look as good as MW2
You miss out on plenty of great games if the look is important enough to bold it for you.
Look is important for me, but it is by no means the only thing I judge a game on.
The bad graphics are just one more thing that don't work for this game.
Well zen. That's a fair outlook that should take you far :).

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
The hit detection is off? Damn. So it suffers from Black Ops problems.
Really? I've never experienced regular hit detection problems in Black Ops, and if I do it's down to lag.

The fact that they mentioned it in the review must mean that it's a serious enough problem not to be overlooked, and probabley due to bad game design.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Nateman742 said:
Bad reviews and scant community? I guess you could say this game... is a breached whale.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow this game looks horrible :S
This is being sold for real money?
It looks like a 5 year old unfinished hobby project.

nalyk

Dec 1, 2009
Bad company 2 has destructible cover. It is however (so I'm told) a noticeably slower paced game compared to MW 2. But I think that the ability to form squads and work as a team offsets this a fair amount. Just my 2 cents.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Phew this game looks exactly how I expected it would...fucking terrible. I really don't know why developers that aren't skilled enough or just don't care even attempt making this type of shit.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
i have it it is fun but it will die in a few moths with out some more maps and maybe a patch for the hit system i am told you can fix the hit detection with the sniper by turning off mouse smoothing but i found buying a new scope helped alot to

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
This review was fine but it missed the most essential and obvious point I thought.

There is already a damm fps out there with destructable mechanics to blow up buildings and walls. Battlefield 2 bad company 2, one of the biggest and most successful of the FPS giants.

Their only unique feature.... isnt unique! You can get it in a better game with better shooting and better ideas! This has a little more destruction, but not much. You can still destroy entire houses in BC2 and see people get crushed under them, blow up bridges, demo walls with c4 and blast them apart with heavy gun fire.

Works perfectly fine. BC2 even has the surpression effect, none of the same bugs and a much bigger and more established player base.

Breach doesnt do anything good enough, even closely to stand out from the pack and make a name for itself. If it wasnt for the press and controversy the game got... this wouldnt of even been reviewed by the escapist, its a beyond a low budget release.