Review: Civilization V

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
minotaur199 said:
MurderousToaster said:
You made me reinstall Civilization IV since Civ V isn't out here yet.

I just played it for 4 hours straight. Civilization should be classed as an addictive drug.
Same thing here. Played the Civ IV for about 4 hours, can't wait for the Civ V. There should be Civ Addiction Centers.
The worst thing was that if there was a longer time setting than Marathon, I'd still be playing it right now.

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Supp said:
I can't believe they improved the nuke animation, I didn't think that was possible.

<3 <3 <3

By the way, how's the music?
I'd like to see what they followed up Baba Yetu with, that was such an epic song.

Nov 5, 2007
Too bad it's not out for Mac yet :( (and hopefully will be)
Oh well, I started playing Minecraft yesterday, that should scratch that "5 more minutes" hitch till I can get Civ 5.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Bought the Deluxe edition on Steam and already pre-loaded it on to my laptop. I feel a sick day coming on already.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mysnomer said:
Good, now they need to update Alpha Centauri, and I'm there.
Oh and how!

Spartan Recon Rover vs. Locusts of Chiron. Yes please!
I always play as the Spartans, Santiago is so cool. I got stomped by the Hive last time I played, though... ;_;

Silver_Hammer

Mar 25, 2008
I've played all the Civ games, so pre-ordered without a review. One of the few titles for which I would do such a thing.

Though can I be a pedant about the review..

"...now that I no longer leave my capital building nothing for a few turns."

Eh? That line make no sense to me.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Really looking forward to this. I also just reinstalled Civ IV to play while waiting for V. Doesn't come out till the friday in Europe. Just played a game that lasted 3hours, I'd forgotten how addictive it was.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
This is such an epic series and I am so jazzed at this latest installment continuing the high quality.

Civ has always been one of the jewels of PC gaming. I'm so looking forward to this one.

Concise video review too.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
My biggest problem with Civ4 was that there were a million different combat units and I didn't really care whether one of them has a 1% damage bonus against enemies who wear blue uniforms or whatever. Has this been alleviated at all in Civ5? They really should just have one light, one heavy, and one ranged per era.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Fearzone said:
So, I'm assuming that kid in school gave you a legally purchased copy. =p
Um, right. Sure he did.

This was before I figured out that pirating was bad. I've since grown up quite a bit, but I'm glad I was able to play Civ when I did. I'm hooked.
My first taste of Civilization was similar; a friend from our D&D club gave me a CD. Since no one had a copy of the rules we'd share what we found out about how to play the game every gaming session. :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
God damnit, its going set to release here in the UK until last. NOOOOOO!

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
blalien said:
My biggest problem with Civ4 was that there were a million different combat units and I didn't really care whether one of them has a 1% damage bonus against enemies who wear blue uniforms or whatever. Has this been alleviated at all in Civ5? They really should just have one light, one heavy, and one ranged per era.
Mmm, I strongly disagree. As a Civ veteran, this would be simply devestating to the game. A game with the title 'Civilization' isn't supposed to be a simple paper-scissors-rock affair, and it's sheer complexity is one of the things that Civ lovers adore about the game. I suggest however that if you are interested in a simpler version of Civ, you invest in 'Civilization Revolution', on the Xbox360. PC hardcore Civ gamers thought it was a disgrace, but it might actually appeal to you, and if you're happy with it, then good on ya :)

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Nice review, thanks for the info... Also the first review supplement I've watched on the Escapist.

Only thing I want to say is that when you tried to be funny it came off as pretty lame. Particularly the last comment where you pretended to be sick. Humor is subjective though as they say...

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
That's a good question, iamjonah. Civ and Civ 2 fell under the same problems that you describe for Civ 3 and Civ 4, I believe. At least in my games, spearmen beat tanks (or swordsmen beat helicopters) a lot more in the earlier games than in Civ 3 or 4. Still, Civ V's combat feels completely different and more tactical, so hopefully your eyes will stay intact.
Thanks for the reply.

I do really enjoy tactical compat in TBSs (I still play Master of Orion 2), so maybe I'll check this out.

Thanks again!!!

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
blalien said:
Not really. Civ V continues the trend, especially with the modern units.

In the early eras, it's much more simple and it mean more. For example, spearmen get a 100% bonus against any cavalry units, so the niggling small bonuses are gone.

Int he modern era, it's a lot more counter-based, as I mentioned in the review. Destroyers counter subs, subs counter battleships, battleships counter destroyers, etc. But that makes for a varied army (and finally a useful navy!) so it didn't bother me.

Desrali T Bear

Mar 19, 2010
Thanks for the great review! I'm definitely going to get this one, but can someone tell me if the "Deluxe" version is worth the extra $10? Should I assume that the Babylon Civilization will just turn into DLC after launch?