Review: Civilization V

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Guess it's time to sell a kidney. Hey, gaming is an expensive habit... DON'T JUDGE ME! Besides, I'm fairly sure one kidney can handle it. I mean, all I'll be doing for the next half a year is sit in a chair and drink Cola. Then again I do have bills to pay... Bah, I can always get a mechanical heart. TO THE TRANSPLANT CLINIC!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
They changed it so you don't get have to click though pop ups every turn and can deal with events in your own way? And made it so you don't plant a road on every tile? Man, is there anything in this game that is bad.

Ordered it on Amazon in the vain hope that it has a tech tree poster and decentish manual. I value these things with Civ games.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Ordered it on Amazon in the vain hope that it has a tech tree poster and decentish manual. I value these things with Civ games.
I finally got round to unpacking my games into my new house today, and I came across my Civ IV box. I got it off Steam so I could preload the thing, but when I remembered how nice it would be to have Civ5 sat next to 2/3/4 on my shelf I was like "awwww " :(

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Looks like a good review by a fan.
I'm waiting for my copy in the mail since Steam was more expensive (go figure, it's a steam game) I'm wondering how many hours i can squeeze in before Christmas.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I'll wait for an expansion.

What this review doesn't tell is that the AI cannot handle the new combat at all. The old one could just manage with the brute force approach of civ4, but in civ5 wars against the AI are just too easy.
The game has also become more of a black box the "user-friendly" way it presents infomation. In civ4 you could if the other government was despotic or representative for example. You could see diplomatic modifiers.
Many of the tough decisions and gambits from civ4bts appear to be gone without anything to replace them.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I just played the demo and I can't believe how addicting the damn thing still is. I mean, I played the ************ like crazy until I was rudely interrupted by a screen telling me to buy the damn thing. You don't need to remind me of something I will definitely be doing, Meyer.

I cannot wait to get it and start a grand campaign. It's goodbye to the fast paced, small scale RTS that is StarCraft 2 and welcome to the big scale, continent spanning, TBS that is Civilization V.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I got the boxed dvd today and tried to install.
"unfortunately the game is not yet released, wait for 1 day and 5 hours to install and play"
One thing i do like, i got the card for the pre-order bonus cradle of civilization, middeterranian area. It's going to be fun.

NotHisRealName

Jul 15, 2009
Pre-loaded from Steam last night (because it's cheaper).

I've only ever played one Civ game (though I can't tell you which). It was years ago and was off a borrowed CD. The shitty thing was that the disc was cracked (physically), so when I got to a point well into the game, it just stopped. I was heart broken and never started again, after all the work I'd done on my Civ. It was the first strategy game I'd played like it (other than Sim City) and really enjoyed it.

This review (and others I've since seen) sparked my interest in the game again, so I've gone out and got it with every intention of 'chucking a sickie' next week to have a day of play.

I'm now pretty excited, and cannot wait. The down side is the International Date Line... I don't think I get the game unlocked until Saturday morning (grand final day - c'arn the Saints!), which is a fault with Steam, in my opinion.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Alpha Centauri is Civ 2 1/2. Revolution is non-canon. So it is indeed "the fifth game".

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope this game can tide me over till GalCiv3 drops.

If it ever comes...

NotHisRealName

Jul 15, 2009
So, despite the actual reality being that, for me, Friday 24th begins in a little over 5 hours, I'll be stuck at work all day until about 10am (15 hours from now) when my Friday actually begins. According to Steam, that is.

So, not only will my Friday begin 10 hours late, I'll be at work, unable to make the most of my Friday where I could be spending it playing Civ V, had I justification to have a sick day.

Right now, I'm not sure who I despise more; Work, or Steam.

Actually, I'm leaning toward hating Steam more because at least I get paid for going to work. Even if it does mean I'll be spending the next seven hours willing time to move just that little bit faster so I can get home and start playing (only to have my PC decide it's going to stop working again).

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I've played through the 100 turns the demo allows a couple times and I'm really liking this game. Time flies when I'm playing it.

Strixandstones

Sep 20, 2010
Playing Civ 5 gives me an odd feeling that I'm missing something, like playing Beyond the Sword and then playing CIV4 straight out of the box. I guess that's where the modding takes over.

Ghandi riding a Giant Death Robot