Review: Epic Mickey

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Mickey's grunts when jumping or getting hit remind me of Lanky Kong from DK64.
Seriously, take a listen.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I totally expected this right from seeing the gameplay trailer. I knew that Warren Specter just a name that Disney was using to try and justify them making video games.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
When I first heard about Epic Mickey my first thought was "Disney must have got sick of waiting for Square-Enix to approach them with Kingdom Hearts 3." Whether or not that's the case, they probably should have waited for that option as it seems like Epic Mickey was designed as almost an ancient history lesson about all things Disney.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Russ Pitts said:
The happiest place on Earth spawns the most frustrating game on the Wii.
Even more frustrating than Okami? That's quite a claim. Okami almost had my Wii Remote going through my TV, not because of letting go of the remote while bowling, but because of rage so hard I'd never experienced it before and haven't experienced it since.
Huh? Elaborate please. How was Okami frustrating?....at all? And why do I constantly hear of people throwing controllers in frustration? Can't we control our impulses? As a fan of Mega Man, DKC, and other such challenging games, I'm proud to say I have never thrown a controller....I don't even think by accident.
Lordofthesuplex said:
The camera, yes, it's pretty much Majora's Mask levels of annoying. (Although that didn't stop that game from becoming a classic)
I must say I honestly don't remember any camera troubles in that game at all.....and I've played through it a few times at least and am thinking really hard. Maybe in some goron rolling sequences?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Georgie_Leech said:
Wow, from that review, I was expecting a lower score than 60%. It honestly passes in your book?
If you go by a school grading scale, 60% is a failing. Than again, I've always thought that a grading scale where you get most of the stuff right but still fail is stupid.

Though I do think with how bad Russ made it sound, it should have at least been as low as two stars.

Games just aren't living up to the right standards these days.

It is just another example when developers and game makers only focus heavily on one aspect of a game and let the rest fall by the wayside into a shit-hole.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Electrogecko said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
The camera, yes, it's pretty much Majora's Mask levels of annoying. (Although that didn't stop that game from becoming a classic)
I must say I honestly don't remember any camera troubles in that game at all.....and I've played through it a few times at least and am thinking really hard. Maybe in some goron rolling sequences?
The only problem I saw with Majora's Mask, though it is a game stopping put down the controller and stop playing problem, is the absurd three days until the moon falls and having to go back over and over again between those days, usually doing the same things over and over to get stuff back that was lost.

Time limits such as that should never be put into games(I'm looking at you Dead Rising). It is unnecessary difficulty pandering. If they want to make a game hard, put in difficulty modes. I would say a majority of gamers what to take their time and enjoy a game, instead of rushing through it because of an arbitrary timer. Yeah old Mario games had a game timer, but the timer matched the amount of time needed to finish a level and then some. The only time I ran out of time was when I was messing around not actually playing the game normally.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Lordofthesuplex said:
Majora's Mask was also released a decade ago, I think it's safe to assume we would expect and have seen some improvement since then.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I must say, I never really understood the hype surrounding Epic Mickey. After all, we know how badly the licenses of most Disney games are handled, and while it was something of an interesting gimmick, collectables and fetch quests are pretty much par for the course in this kind of game.

I mean, really. Name one game centered around Disney (Kingdom Hearts excluded, that was Square Enix's work, not Disney) that has been decent in recent memory. Really, try.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
3/5?

You review makes it sound like 1.

You're such a story whore, Russ. :p

For me, if the gameplay isn't at least functional, and from all those clips, Epic Mickey seems NOT to be, the game should be ignored. Regardless of any plot quality.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Electrogecko said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
The only problem I saw with Majora's Mask, though it is a game stopping put down the controller and stop playing problem, is the absurd three days until the moon falls and having to go back over and over again between those days, usually doing the same things over and over to get stuff back that was lost.

Time limits such as that should never be put into games(I'm looking at you Dead Rising). It is unnecessary difficulty pandering. If they want to make a game hard, put in difficulty modes. I would say a majority of gamers what to take their time and enjoy a game, instead of rushing through it because of an arbitrary timer. Yeah old Mario games had a game timer, but the timer matched the amount of time needed to finish a level and then some. The only time I ran out of time was when I was messing around not actually playing the game normally.
I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Did you even play the game? The only things that you lose when you go back in time are all your stocks of arrows, deku sticks, rupees, etc. I'm curious, what were those "same things over and over" that you were doing? The only times in the game where you needed to repeat anything were for extra credit side quests, like the Kaifi quest line and the frog choir, and even then, the ability to warp, control time, use newly obtained items, and being able to instantly replay bosses upon entering the temple made everything streamlined, fresh, quick, and fun.

"Unnecessary difficulty pandering"? The decision to include a timer was in no way a method of difficulty pandering....I've never thought of it that way in my life. I played the game when I was like 10 years old and not once did I ever run out of time. (except for the first 3 day sequence b4 you get your ocarina back.....no guide....or internet) You learn very early on how to slow the flow of time to the point where the 3 days lasts....I don't know at least a few hours, which is more than enough time to complete all the game's temples, and if it's not, it's certainly enough to get the key item within.

"Arbitrary timer"?....did you not realize how the entire game revolved around time? Every single character in the game followed a schedule, and learning each character's schedule and filling out the bomber's notebook was the most unique aspect of the game! It was one of, if not the, first game to ever use such a mechanic, and it stands the test of time.

The 3 day mechanic defined Majora's Mask. Without it, the game would lose it's story, half it's content, and be nowhere near as creative, memorable or impactful.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Hate to say it, I wasn't expecting it to be good. And I didn't even know until now that it was on the Wii.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
On the overall darkness of the game... be happy that "suicidemouse.avi" didn't raise it's howling, traumatic head! No Mickey Mouse game is "too dark" until that makes it in there.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
what I think is really sad is that it was probably the focus groups fault here and there on the original concept for Epic Mickey that probably screwed up the fine polishing the game needed.

I think if they left the Dark mickey/Light Mickey stuff in the game with its original premise, chances are they would have had more time to be able to work on the game's camera issues and whatnot.

Sadly, it's going to be difficult to consider playing this game when the eventual Wii gets in the house probably by this holiday, but I think it still looks like a rental.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Damn. I was really hoping this game would make me want to touch my wii again. That thing has been gathering dust for quite a while.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
It's heartbreaking, no pun intended. There's this world that you're just dying to interact with - and then actually interacting with it is a nightmare. The camera is complete crap, the controls are aggravating at the best of times...I really, really want to explore the Wasteland, but actually doing it just plain sucks.

Noooooooo!!

When I saw Russ's review I was sad (I have the game pre-ordered but haven't picked it up yet)but I heard there was collectible pins in his review and I thought to myself "I wonder if Susan feels differently about the games....maybe the pins alone make it worth playing!!".

Then I saw your post:(

I had heard some complaints about the camera angel before but nothing this negative. I guess I'll wait till the price drops significantly or I can rent a copy at blockbuster or something.

Thanks Russ and Susan for the heads up.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I wanted this game to be good! Curse you Disney!!

Oh well, that sucks. I still might have to play it just to see how the story goes through. Man, why did the gameplay have to be broken.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I don't understand Russ's criticism here. He says the game is frustrating and that there is no "game", but then shows that it's a platformer pretty much all the way through. That seems like gameplay to me. Now I don't know if it's because Russ doesn't like platformers, or if because the platforming is just bad, or if the platforming is bad, but it's because of the Wii (which I can believe, the wii-chuck thing is atrocious as a gaming device).

He doesn't really come out and say it, but it appears to me that the Wii really made this game a "disappointment" more than anything else. If you spend most of your time battling with the controller I doubt it's easy to appreciate whatever good parts there are of the game, and doubly so when the game play content requires platforming.