Review: Epic Mickey

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
"The game is set in the so-called "Wasteland": a fictional world mirroring the more famous Disneyland in which cartoons who have been forgotten and overshadowed by Disney's more popular characters, and - wait for this - have lost their hearts, go to spend their final days."
Soooo it's basically just Kingdom Hearts without the Square-Enix Mary Sues. Got it.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
well, I've never been much of a fan of Disney (don't get me wrong, they've had a couple good films, but I never really developed a soft spot in my heart for them, and some of their practices (corporate and otherwise) have rather irritated me, so I'm not too sorry to see this fail.

Yep. I'm spiteful. Deal with it.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
That's really too bad... Epic Mickey seems to refine the parts of Kingdom Hearts that I liked, but a bad camera is something pretty hard to overlook. Still, the originality of it, the usage of lesser known characters, does make it appealing...

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I have to say, I'm enjoying it overall. It does seem like the more hyped up you were for it, the more you're going to be disappointed. And I'd be lying if I said that it didn't have its issues - Russ wrote a great review covering them. But I guess I'm a sucker for good concept and story, because I'll be sticking with this one.

If you're on the fence, try to get your hands on it at a store where they've got a demo set up. Or rent it if you have a subscription to one of the various services. I personally think it's good enough to stick through the frustration, but YMMV.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Now I'm having second thoughts about getting the collector's edition or the original one. I don't care if it has problems. I was looking forward to this game ever since I saw the trailer months ago.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, no shit.
I don't own a Wii, and didn't really care about the game. But I was somehow expecting it to not be the second coming of MetalChrist.

pebbls

Dec 4, 2010
iv been playing for a few days and i agree about the control issues.. and as a player that likes to get ALL the treasure in a game, i hate that this game makes you choose certain paths meaning you eithr get this prize or that.. but you CANT get both.

another thing i dont like abt this game is that once you go through a door leaving one place you cant go back! you cant go revist worlds for the things you missed.. maybe later on in the game or when you complete it. but you can easily be exploring a world and go one way and get locked out leaving all the treasrue and other quest in that world behind giving you no other choice but to keep moving forward.

so im thinking that the goal of this game is to actually finish it with out having any fun or doing the things you wanna do..

i also agree with the whole kingdom hearts heartless deal.. wtf?? is there no other good ideas left for disney characters?? i wish they wouldv jus skipped this whole epic mickey game and released another kingdom hearts:D

on the whole this game is just something new to play and get frustrated with.. im glad it was a gift or else it would be going back to the store.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... that's certainly a dissapointment. Really, I didn't expect this to be all what Warren Spector promised it would be, mostly because of the technical limitations of the Wii itself, but I expected that, at the very least, would be a worthwile platfromer.

Reading and watching Pitts' review didn't dissuade me to play the thing. This is only a single person opinion, not excluding Susan's own opinion about the game. This may be just a rent as I'm very low on money right now, but I STILL want to play the thing to judge it by myself.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Should I be surprised this game turned out to not be as good as all the hype made it out to be?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
That's too bad, I'll still probably check it out though. Hope 'The Reluctant Dragon' and 'Lambert the Sheepish Lion' are in it.

Also, does the plot remind anyone else of that episode of Tiny Toons, the one that mixed Field of Dreams with Bosco?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I seriously never got why this was so anticipated. While everyone was all about the Epic Mickey, I pretty much struggled to figure out what exactly was so exciting. Not that I saw failure coming, more that I just didn't look at all.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I was debating between this and DKC Returns. So glad I trusted my gut and went with DKC. That game is pure platforming gold.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Way to screw yourself on a sure thing, Disney. Fix the camera, put it on a real system, and try to make us forget this release as a mass hallucination. And don't focus group it to death with biker douches; I want evil rat Mickey.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
I'm going to reiterate what everyone said I was crazy for saying a few months back. It's still on the Wii, I see they haven't fixed that problem. I mean seriously how could anyone have expected better. The Wii is overall a god awful system not capable of supporting games like this and in the end only serves to hold back a game like Epic Mickey from being the truly awesome experience it should have been.

Motion controls be damned I didn't see a single aspect of gameplay in that review supplement that couldn't have been implemented like the gameplay in Super Mario Sunshine had this game been made for other systems. Which only serves to further my belief that Warren Spectre and Disney were full of it when they told everyone this game couldn't have been made on another system.

I really was tempted by this game to finally go out and buy a Wii, but hearing how poorly handled it was thanks to simply being on the Wii it's only cemented my reasons further to not buy such a turd of a system.

I remember bring told by someone here that it would be my loss for shunning the game simply for it being on the Wii. I take no pleasure in knowing now that I was right in my belief I wasn't missing anything.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I really, really would have liked this game to be good, but seeing this review, it's hard not to feel that this game on the PS3 or Xbox would have been a great improvement, tedious gameplay aside. I know that I, atleast would have checked it out, if it had come out on the PS3, but since it's as poorly executed as it apparently is, I'm not even going to consider finding/buying a Wii for trying it. Too bad, but not much to do about it, tbh.