Review: Fallout: New Vegas

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Anybody figure out the hardcore reward yet? That'll probably affect my decision to do it or not.

Actually screw it, I'll probably just go for it.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Man with the hat is an obvious nod to that Indiana Jones rip-off film that came out a couple of years ago... can't remember what it was called though, utterly forgettable. So the comparison of leaving it to die in a fridge in the desert is apt!
After a nuclear war, there is a man, with a hat (presumably an awesome hat), who tried to survive a nuclear blast in a fridge. Blatant nod to Indy, methinks. Complete with realistic interpretation of your actual survival chance in a refrigerator...

Not sure on this one... I'm torn between this, Black Ops, and Dead Rising 2. I have a flat-mate who'll definitely get New Vegas and Black Ops though, so I'll be able to try before I buy.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
awesome, but OH NO BUGS
oh god i hope the game won't just die after a while like fallout 3.

sure the ps3 version was the buggiest and froze a lot, but now i can't play a straight 15 minutes without some sort of freezing going on. god i hope that doesn't happen again.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Sounds good to me. A bit more keen to p;ick this up now. Plus, seeing that everyone is making a comment on the Indiana Jones reference, I may as well through my tuppence in. That's a neat little reference. I shall forgive it the fact that it gives people another chance to say they didn't like the film, or bizarrely call it a "rip-off", a statement which seemingly has no basis in logic or even the slightest bit of commen sense whatsoever.

Yes, I actually enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and thought it was a good film, if you're wondering.

Anyway, New Vegas.....

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Well, I recently picked up Thw Witcher, so I won't have time for it just yet.

The upside is that way they'll hopefully have a patch out by the time I am ready. I've been jonesing for a true follow-up to the original.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Hardcore mode sounds a whole lot like what I've been doing for years playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Interesting...
It looks awesome though. I'll get it for PC if I can run it, which probably won't happen.

EDIT: I just checked system requirements and hot damn off to the stores!

Neumanoid

Jun 17, 2009
The movie you are thinking of is 'Crystal Skull.' Indie hides in a fridge to survive a nuclear bomb test. Because it's made of lead. At the explosion site... I facepalmed when watching it, but i can't wait to gets me that hat!

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I can remember some of those bugs in Fallout 3. There was one instance before I even met Reiley's Rangers that I found one of them in the north-east corner of the map being attacked by super mutants. Of course by the time I was in range they had already blown the guys head off. So later when I actually did the Reily's Rangers quest he wasn't there.

On the plus side, it got me the ranger armor (what I consider the best armor in the game) that much earlier.

explanoit

What do I put here
Aug 22, 2010
The rules for this engine is to wait a few months before you buy the game. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout.
The sometimes game save breaking bugs will be fixed and youlll have a soothed experience.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've been playing New Vegas all day today (re-installing because of some funk with my save games. :/), but from what i've seen I agree with what you have said here. Its Fallout 3 with a lighter tone and some cool locations while still afflicted by a few little issues that were in that previous game.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
solidaltar said:
The rules for this engine is to wait a few months before you buy the game. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout.
The sometimes game save breaking bugs will be fixed and youlll have a soothed experience.
Wait... you know about bugs involving save games? What do you mean exactly?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Unfortunately, the game play in the review doesn't do the game too much justice. I like the look of it though, especially with Hardcore mode which the originals never had anyway.

Shame they still use/forced to use the Oblivion engine, which really does not work too well.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
Some folks just need to understand that when you sleep outside in the wide open world of fallout...you'll wake up with bugs in your undies...

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I'm really hesitant to play with hardcore enabled. I don't know why, I just... think it'll ruin the experience for me.

I should get my game on Friday *fingers crossed*

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I do find it funny how almost every reviewer gave Bethesda room to have a glitch-filled game, but if Obsidian does it...

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
What? Dark humour? I can't wait to throw some dynomite down a outhouse.

I'm just liking it if it doesn't force me to start in some boring vault with choices with very little impact whatsoever and the endless metro tunnels of crap, 9000 supermutants to kill and only raiders are the other 1000 enemies. Oh and a story not revolving around being daddies little confused retard kid.

Also more weapons and hopefully a better damage system, i wish they would have mentioned something about the new damage system that was implemented.