Review: Fallout: New Vegas

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
And just like the last one, I'll be waiting impatiently for the two years it will take for all of the patches and DLC to be combined in an edition that finally goes on sale for about $20. Sometimes being a cheapskate and devoted non-first-adopter has its drawbacks.

And I've been looking forward to Hardcore mode since I first tried the last one. What's the point of food in the game if you never have to eat? Or sleep? It wasn't as bad as Oblivion, but it was still a little immersion-breaking.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I don't see why people were expecting this to suck (I personally liked KOTORII), the fact of the matter is that the people who worked on this worked on the original Fallouts, I highly doubt they'd f*@k up a game they made successfully TWICE. When I get the cash I'm definitely going to go pick it up, I can't wait for all the hype-zombie (One who foolishly buys into the hype disregarding all other evidence) rage over Fable III though. As far as buggy saves go, I never had issue in Fallout 3 OR Oblivion.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im not convinced. I get enough of a fallout fix from Fallout 3, and unlike the rest of these whiners, I liked Fallout 3, so if I wanted Id just go back and play that game if I wanted.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
antipunt said:
Anybody figure out the hardcore reward yet? That'll probably affect my decision to do it or not.

Actually screw it, I'll probably just go for it.
An achievement/trophy.

Hardcore mode really isn't that hard, the most difficult thing about it is probably dealing with crippled limbs, the food/water aspect isn't difficult as finding food that restores them both at the same time (for a couple rads usually) isn't difficult.

I've become dehydrated once after sleeping for 12 hours (wanted daylight) and two dirty water's fixed that up in a jiffy.

The ammo weight isn't much of a problem either if you are going for small guns playstyle, might be a problem with big guns however, just pick a few gun types to use and be on your way.

The addition of armor and hence, armor piercing rounds (also has hallow points) is a fun change, Radscorpions + Armor piercing rounds = dead scorpion.

I'm having a lot of fun playing so far, the improvements overall from Fallout 3 are nice, still lots of weird bugs from time to time, many can be resolved however by putting away your weapon and pulling it back out. For example, a few times I've gone to bring up my pipboy and it was either invisible, unreadable, or off-screen, in all situations the "gun trick" i just mentioned corrected it. Game has frozen on me once after 6 straight hours of play, luckily I had just auto-saved so I lost nothing but 1 radscorpion kill.

I cannot wait to beat the game and do everything I can do, and then start over with the Wild Wasteland trait ;)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"The point at which I decided it would all be OK was random. I was walking from one place to the next and happened to spot an odd shape off the trail. I walked closer and noticed it was a refrigerator laid on its back with the door ripped off. Inside was the skeleton of a man wearing a hat. No explanation given. I took the hat and put it on and went about my business. There was no sinister purpose to this interaction. No overt message, or secret meaning. I had found the remains of a man who'd met an untimely end and had been stuffed into a refrigerator. Nothing more, nothing less."

isn't that a nod to that indiana jones scene from the crystal skull movie? where a man with a fancy hat steps into a fridge to survive a nuclear bomb explosion? XD

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Maybe Russ just isn't that bright but I doubt it considering his Editor in Chief status. I think he's well aware of what the man in the refrigerator was supposed to represent. It just one more instance of dark humor in the game.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
I have just finished the game on hardcore, as far as I;m aware all I got was the achievement :-(

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Guys, I know Indiana Jones jumped into a refrigerator to survive a nuclear explosion in the Crystal Skull movie.

Yes, the man in the fridge wearing a hat in New Vegas may likely be a nod on the part of the developers to that horrible film, and likely is. The point is the reference was so subtle it could be there or not. Like a quark, or Darth Vader in the cave.

I've edited this review to make my point more clear since it seems the point I was trying to make, too, was so vaporous it might not have been observed. My bad. Carry on.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Can't wait to get it delivered too me. should come soon. I can't wait to see all the references back to the first two fallout games.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Review: Fallout: New Vegas

A funnier, more colorful, more hardcore Fallout awaits you in the Mojave Wasteland.

Read Full Article

a skeleton with a hat in a refrigerator...

Indiana Jones 4 anyone ?

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
tehroc said:
The only saving grace I might see is the Obsidian writing staff. I'd say that's the one aspect that Obsidian excels in (I'd also say they have better writers then Bioware), something that is lacking in most Bethesda games.
I agree, probably thanks to Chris Avellone they make better stories. Bioware is also good, but somehow they always seem to tame and generic.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Sronpop said:
Great review Russ, I know exactly where I am now in terms of buying this game which is exactly where I want to be after reading a review.

Ill be happily picking this up in the coming weeks(hopefully when a few of the more serious bugs are found and fixed) as soon as I get the money and finally finish Dragon Age(50 hours in, I gotta be near the end right?)
No you got another 30 hours if your doing most of the side quests, I'd say its a 70 hour first playthrough average.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
J03bot said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Man with the hat is an obvious nod to that Indiana Jones rip-off film that came out a couple of years ago... can't remember what it was called though, utterly forgettable. So the comparison of leaving it to die in a fridge in the desert is apt!
After a nuclear war, there is a man, with a hat (presumably an awesome hat), who tried to survive a nuclear blast in a fridge. Blatant nod to Indy, methinks. Complete with realistic interpretation of your actual survival chance in a refrigerator...

Not sure on this one... I'm torn between this, Black Ops, and Dead Rising 2. I have a flat-mate who'll definitely get New Vegas and Black Ops though, so I'll be able to try before I buy.
If he's your roommate why not just get Dead Rising 2 then and just swap him for New Vegas later?