Review: Fallout: New Vegas

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I played for a few hours before going to sleep last night(this morning) and I'm enjoying myself. I did select the Wild Wasteland perk even though I don't really know what to expect to come from it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Sovvolf said:
Russ Pitts said:
Fair enough. As a reviewer, it's easier for me to overlook minor bugs (and in a game with the scope and scale of Fallout 3, yes I think they were minor) if they come with a game that breaks as much ground as Fallout 3. We didn't give scores in 2008, but Fallout 3 would have gotten 5 stars from me, and I stand by that. Those same bugs, however, are harder to excuse in a follow up title.
I think I can see where your coming from here. Though correct my presumptuous arse if I'm wrong on this one. Your saying that, Fallout 3 broke enough new ground that your can forgive a few bugs getting through, no big deal, it happens. However with Fallout New Vegas being a sequel built (more then likely) on the same engine, you can't excuse the same glitches getting through the door twice. These bugs should have been none existent in the sequel.

Again I could be wrong on this however that's the way I'd have looked at it and yes I would have docked a point of for it too.
That's it.
This quotation isn't relevant but I wish to ask a question if I may:

Is the character customisation (physically) better than before? The choices in appearance and hair for Fallout 3 was somewhat disappointing, as most hairstyles seemed to be almost identical and despite the fact you are supposed to be 18, it's almost impossible to make a male character look less than 30.

Is this fixed?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Tiswas said:
hmmmm. I'm kinda on the fence about this one now.

While I was all excited for the new humour and atmos in this one. The thing about the bugs has me doubtful about whether it's worth the price tag. All of those problems were what killed Fallout 3's enjoyment for me so much so towards the end. Especially considering it had been out a while and no patch.

Hopefully it'll be patched quickly, else I'll just pick it up for a tenner pre-owned in a years time.
This is my main problem as well, a few glitches wouldn't be so bad but the fact that you can't finish certain missions cause the game crashes is a HUGE killing point to me. I think I might have to pass on this game.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
nipsen said:
"It's disappointing to see such an otherwise brilliant and polished game suffer from years-old bugs, and unfortunately our review score for the game has to reflect that."

Because when Fallout 3 launched and had the same game-breaking bugs, you really couldn't be bothered with that kind of petty thing, I guess. Good job finding your principles in a bag somewhere, though. Well done. Stars in the margins. *thumbs*
In a game as large as Fallout 3, I cannot really fault Bethesda for not finding the bugs upon release. It simply is not reasonable to assume they could without granting them near unlimited resources. Of course, that such a game launches with bugs is expected. That such a game kept the bugs around indefinitely is rather shameful.

Truth be told, I never really had much of a problem with bugs in Fallout 3 until I started using the various mods and whatnot. Hell, the fan made bugfixes introduced more Crash to Desktops in a sitting than I experienced with the entire game previously all while resolving problems that only occur if I did something in a way that would have never occurred to me anyhow.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
1. Bugs are Obsidian's Middle name, in a past life they were beekeepers.
2.. Was the hat of the man in the refrigerator a fedora? if so, i think i get the reference, and it is F#!@ing hilarious! :D

Corsten

Jul 24, 2006
Great review, pretty much the same way I've felt so far... I'm on a break... stupid job...

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Saaaaaay whaaat? No whopping game breaking bugs (engine aside) in a game from obsidian??? Isn't that one of the signs of the end days approaching?

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
Sound like a good game, glad I pre-ordered it. Not sure if I'm going to play through on hardcore mode though. The always looking for food and water probably wouldn't be a problem. It's not that hard to carry some water or snacks with you wherever you go, but The whole bullets having weight thing puts me off of it. I liked having the 10,000 assault-rifle rounds and 4,000 shotgun shells I had at the end of Fallout 3. Though, if there are still places like the Megaton house to store item, I guess it wouldn't kill me to trek back there to resupply or drop off extra ammo for later use. Ah whatever, hardcore mode it is.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
Ok the Indiana Jones and Crystal Skull reference has sold it to me. For anyone who doesn't know Indy survived an Atomic blast by hiding in a 1950's fridge. And everyone from fans to realism critics threw a hissy fit. Very nice subtle joke and they are always the best
Sold for me as well. Thats just too funny to pass up.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
A Bethesda game with glitches!? What a novel concept! [/sarcasm]
Nice review, I agree that fallout 3 was a little melodramatic at times and a bit of dark humor is definitely a welcome concept. At any rate though I'm definitely going to wait to get this one, this is in part to give me time to upgrade my pc, and to let Bethesda release the necessary patches and fans to patch the things they'll inevitably miss.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I still take a stroll trough the wasteland (Or some guns at megaton and/or rivet city) each and every day.. Give or take. Cant wait for this. <3

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Review: Fallout: New Vegas

A funnier, more colorful, more hardcore Fallout awaits you in the Mojave Wasteland.

Read Full Article
Russ, I think that the man in the fridge was a reference to Indiana Jones. I don't suppose it was a fedora, was it?

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
but lay off the sarcasm next time and we'll get off on a better foot. ;)
..that is a very tall order, you know.. :p

But.. you know, when I'm writing about games - I will easily admit I tend to have difficulties being negative about a game, when I know the typical perception of it is somewhere between exclusively and completely positive. But I do it anyway.

Specially since in this case, it is not difficult to find examples of more complex games made earlier.. even another Morrowind title.. that actually had less bugs than Fallout 3. The type of bugs in Fallout 3 also are of the kind that turn up in the middle of a script that only has two conditions. ..Most of the quests in Fallout 3 are like that - the scripts are linear, and jump slightly past the parts you don't question the characters about, until they get bored of you and leave you to the next quest-item. And this is not something we haven't seen done before - and even significantly more expansively. Such as in Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, or Bloodlines. Even Neverwinter Nights, or Knights of the Old republic. Bloodlines also had voice-acting for a large amount of the characters you meet - which all have a personality as well, unlike in either Morrowind and Fallout3..

So that's why I have a difficult time seeing why Fallout 3 should not be taken to task both for the bugs in the engine that were showstopping. As well as the bugs in the mission scripts, that very clearly would have been possible to avoid. And has been, even in games that were more expansive and complex. Frankly, I think that the kind of praise heaped on Fallout3 is a bit too much. Inappropriate, even, for those reasons.

But I respect your opinion. Specially since you explain how you think about this, instead of simply declaring it. Props for that (and no sarcasm).

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
First: As has been called already, the refrigerator thing? Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, man. I know everyone tries to block that from their memory, but really...

Second: Every single Obsidian game ever made is awesome except for one massive, glaring flaw that brings the whole thing down. I was wondering what New Vegas' was, and apparently, it's that it's built on Fallout 3. Gotta say, could be a lot worse.