Review: Flower

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008

Is it a game? A work of art? Either way, this Flower is an intriguing pick.

Read Full Article

InsanityWave

Dec 22, 2008
Hm ive seen quite a few topics lately about games counting as works of art I think this game comes shockingly close to it, Im more into the shooters but this game is beautiful if i saw this in the shop i would buy it, it looks rather fun and a joy to play.

Normeo

Sep 11, 2008
My 2 year old loves the vid. In fact got to go and play it for a third time. Weeeeeeee

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I've been waiting ages for this, flow changed my view of games and this looks to do the same again.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I was really dubious about Flower until I saw Jordan playing it. It's absolutely wonderful, and I was happily surprised to see how it reminded me of games like NiGHTS and SSX, yet was still so peaceful and lovely. If you have a PS3, you should definitely get the game. It's very special.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I'm super excited for the 'Artistic gaming showdown: Flower vs Braid!' thread that is inevitably coming.

Actually wait, this is the Escapist. I'm super excited for the 'FLOWER GRAPHIX: VERY AWESOME OR SORTA LESS AWEESOME???' thread.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
when i watched this, my first thoughts were this is just going to be another stupid game. but it actually looks like alot of fun!!!

i might just have to get flower...

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I felt like something was massaging the back of my eyes while I was watching the video. This game looks like a great thing to help you relax after a stressful day. I wish I had a PS3 :/

Oh and after some time, which seems like a BILLION years, another game was released that makes games actually look like an art! God job :D

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I got a chance to play it at CES for 5 minutes. *sigh* I still remember those 5 minutes :)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
That game is a definite buy for me for a few reasons
a.) I love flOw
b.) Looks enjoyable
c.) I'll probably cry that I can't live in a grassy plain like that (yep you heard me).

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I've just staryed playing. It's lovely. Plus, if you press Select when playing you get a screensaver and if you hit Start it...well, I won't spoil it, but it's very well done.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
I need to get this game and set up a fan to blow at my face while I play, methinks.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
The game looks like such a good stress reliever, it would be impossible to be mad about anything after you play it. It looks like fun.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Looks like an innovative little game. I wonder when the copycats will come out of the woodwork?

"In our game, you play as a rock! And.. lie there! For points!"

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Actually, one of the things hthat I find quite fun about this game is to just hold down the X button when I have a large tail of petals, and just fly. The controls seem responsive enough that I genuinly feel a rush from skimming the ground before spinning up. Its like Lair was supposed to be.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
A Flower? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H88-tiMG24

OT: Man, I wish my brother bought a PS3 instead of an Xbox....

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Beautiful game, good review. I'll just nit-pick with this little error I found while reading.

Flower has actually has a relatively strong narrative - about better integrating nature into our cities and our lives.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Russian_Assassin said:
I felt like something was massaging the back of my eyes while I was watching the video.
Seriously.
Jordan Deam said:

Don't lie.
You're totally gay.
And that's okay!
That you're gay.
Because now that you're gay.
...I'm out of ways to rhyme gay with something without being repetitive.
Anyway, if you are gay, I'm gay too, because that looks ridiculously fun for a game about flowers.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Russian_Assassin said:
I felt like something was massaging the back of my eyes while I was watching the video.
Seriously.
Jordan Deam said:

Don't lie.
You're totally gay.
And that's okay!
That you're gay.
Anyway, if you are gay, I'm gay too, because that looks ridiculously fun for a game about flowers.
You now, not everything about flowers has to be gay. If you really want, you can imagine the petals as dragons, and the flowers as eggs.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Russian_Assassin said:
Seriously.
Jordan Deam said:

Don't lie.
You're totally gay.
And that's okay!
That you're gay.
You now, not everything about flowers has to be gay. If you really want, you can imagine the petals as dragons, and the flowers as eggs.
But if it's not gay, how can I make jokes?
I know my limitations.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Russian_Assassin said:
Seriously.
Jordan Deam said:

Don't lie.
You're totally gay.
And that's okay!
That you're gay.
I know my limitations.
My god, you'll have to take it seriously as an art form and not mock it.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Russian_Assassin said:
Seriously.
Jordan Deam said:

Don't lie.
You're totally gay.
And that's okay!
That you're gay.
I know my limitations.
My god, you'll have to take it seriously as an art form and not mock it.
I'm not mocking it. I think it looks cool.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This game looks like it'd be right up my alley. Shame I don't have a PS3 :/

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Flower does look pretty cool. Just by watching the video I was exhilarated at how fast the wind went and went wooshing past the grass.

I may buy this, and most likely I will, but I'll wait a bit and see a few more reviews about it before I jump on the indie wagon. It's always a risk to get these kinds of games.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Something similar, but much older, is Cloud. [http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/]
It was also created by the same people that made Flow and Flower. It's still rather interesting but not quite as polished. Also an underlying theme/story to it.

ender003

Oct 21, 2008
It saddens me that I'll never get to play (maybe experience would be the better word?)this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I enjoyed Susan's "wheeeeee" and might pick up this little title at some point in the future. Especially since it looks like the girlfriend might really like it...

Yeah... that's it really, only she will play it, I hate flowers...

Okay I lied.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
If only it was for the PC.

Other than that, the narrative is really what made this video. Especially the "Wheeeee". That part was excellent.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Clemenstation said:
I'm super excited for the 'Artistic gaming showdown: Flower vs Braid!' thread that is inevitably coming.

Actually wait, this is the Escapist. I'm super excited for the 'FLOWER GRAPHIX: VERY AWESOME OR SORTA LESS AWEESOME???' thread.
Ouch. On topic I think that Flower looks surreal. I don't think I've seen a game that is as serene as it so far. It'll be interesting to play it...if I do.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
I love it. I just downloaded it and it's one of the best ways you could possibly spend 10 dollars. So peaceful and relaxing. I'd give it a ?/? because you just can't put something like this into a numerical value. It's too unique.

Sir_Chumley_Warner

Dec 25, 2008
It.. left me a bit different. Hard to explain but there was something truly beautiful there... Buy it, it's short but if you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself, the pricing is definitely justifiable.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Combined said:
If only it was for the PC.
I dunno if it would really feel right without motion sensitivity. And in case you mention the Wii, I don't think it could actually handle the graphical detail.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Really dont know what to make of this game..
Somehow it looks really interesting, but on the other hand it looks like something that i would get tired of after 2 minutes..

If many escapists recommend it in the end i MIGHT just give it a go..

Laerid

May 29, 2008
I absolutely loved it. Strangely enough, my girlfriend didn't. She said it was boring and pointless...aaah, simple minded little thing, but I love her.

I guess you've got to have a certain gaming background, so you can see what flower trully is : something new in videogames, something few have dared to make, and when you've played videogames since the late 80's you can fully grasp why is this such a big deal, why is flower so special.

A true breath of fresh air, loved every second of it (plus the trophies are fun).

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I don't know, for some reason reading that kinda cinched it for me that I'll be getting a PS3 as soon as I get a disposable income.

Naal

Feb 24, 2009
Oh wow. When I was a little girl I pretended that I could control the wind. I am also a huge flower child.

I just let my boyfriend know that I'm stealing his PS3 to play this game.

Phantom_Natal

Sep 2, 2009
So good for the eyes and ears.
At some point I was dumb enough to question if the rocks where you fly around was part of stonehenge, not the main rocks though.