Review: GoldenEye 007

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Can't decide if this is worth getting the classic controller bundle. I really like the Wiimote better for FPSs. I mean, using the classic controller on a game like this would be like going to White Castle and getting a fish sandwich. It's fine every once in awhile, but why even go there if you don't want tiny smelly burgers? As far as it "not being as good" as a regular controller, it seems like most reviewers don't know about option menus. Kmart is giving away an extra classic controller with it, though. So many decisions...

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Castratikron said:
Holy shit in the nightclub they were definitely playing 'I Remember' by Deadmau5..... Amazing song by an amazing artist
Was just about to say that. Love that tune.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I'm sorry, but I can't do this. Goldeneye was an epic, amazing game in my childhood, and I spent many, many hours running around with moonraker lasers, shotguns, and whatever weapons the various owners of N64's decided we should have. I can't try to replace that in any way, no matter how good this game appears to be...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
J03bot said:
I'm sorry, but I can't do this. Goldeneye was an epic, amazing game in my childhood, and I spent many, many hours running around with moonraker lasers, shotguns, and whatever weapons the various owners of N64's decided we should have. I can't try to replace that in any way, no matter how good this game appears to be...
If you want to be reminded of just how good the original is.

Play this new one.

Then play the original.

Then try to figure out why I'd ever want to play this one again. It's gonna be tough, the online multiplayer is the only thing it does better.

But dude, the first one didn't even have multipla...ohhhh I see what you mean.

Fisk777

Aug 2, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
Weird, it actually surprises me that someone would find the game enjoyable. I thought that Activision would make it "Call of Duty: MW2: James Bond." I might pick this up now.
It seems that is exactly what it is, I have Modern Warfare. I wanted some good old-fashioned goldeneye action not this. I'm disappointed that they judged it the way they did.

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Arkhangelsk said:
ProfessorLayton said:
omega247 said:
Looks like I'll be bringing the Wii out of retirement
Same here... I've been waiting for a good Wii game to come out and this looks like the game I've been waiting for.
Same here. This, and Kirby's Epic Yarn will resurrect the dusty old corpse that is my Wii.
My words exactly. Problem is, which one should you get first...

OT: Still deciding whether to get it or not. I'm tempted by the free multi-player a little, but remembering SSBB, I have my doubts. In single player, I'm almost sold. I just can't get how you would position a pinpoint shot into someone's face. It's easy on the PC, somewhat less controlable on the console, and "dependent on your surgeon hands" for the Wii.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
blue_guy said:
Why does, Greg Tito, always pause, mid sentance, all the time?

Anyway, I think I shall, give this game, a try, when I get, access to my, Wii, again.

Greg Tito is William Shatner.

You'd better, get used to, the idea.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
theultimateend said:
J03bot said:
If you want to be reminded of just how good the original is.

Play this new one.

Then play the original.

Then try to figure out why I'd ever want to play this one again. It's gonna be tough, the online multiplayer is the only thing it does better.

But dude, the first one didn't even have multipla...ohhhh I see what you mean.
Ah, the good old days of split screen. Gotta love 'em!

In all honesty, it's mostly my lack of wii that prevents me from getting this. But also the fact that it's one of those games that I will always associate with multiplayer with people in the same room, and anything else would just be a little bit weird...

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Greg Tito said:

The James Bond remake offers the best multiplayer on the Wii and an updated campaign.

Read Full Article
Can I play the game with a normal Gamecube controller, or do I really need to pick up the Classic Controller Pro?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
PlasticTree said:
Greg Tito said:

The James Bond remake offers the best multiplayer on the Wii and an updated campaign.

Read Full Article
Can I play the game with a normal Gamecube controller, or do I really need to pick up the Classic Controller Pro?
Yeah, you can use Gamecube Controller, but I'd imagine that the C-stick won't be the most comfortable out of all the control choices.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Siuki said:
Arkhangelsk said:
ProfessorLayton said:
omega247 said:
Looks like I'll be bringing the Wii out of retirement
Same here... I've been waiting for a good Wii game to come out and this looks like the game I've been waiting for.
Same here. This, and Kirby's Epic Yarn will resurrect the dusty old corpse that is my Wii.
My words exactly. Problem is, which one should you get first...

OT: Still deciding whether to get it or not. I'm tempted by the free multi-player a little, but remembering SSBB, I have my doubts. In single player, I'm almost sold. I just can't get how you would position a pinpoint shot into someone's face. It's easy on the PC, somewhat less controlable on the console, and "dependent on your surgeon hands" for the Wii.
For me it's not that hard, since Kirby isn't coming to Europe until March next year! D:< *cries in a corner*

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen.
WHAT.

Did they really not learn the lesson that Red Steel taught every single FPS that has been made for the Wii since its release?

Metroid Prime got it right. The Conduit got it right. Medal of Honor (Heroes 2) got it right. GoldenEye didn't?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
JediMB said:
CaptainCrunch said:
you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen.
WHAT.

Did they really not learn the lesson that Red Steel taught every single FPS that has been made for the Wii since its release?

Metroid Prime got it right. The Conduit got it right. Medal of Honor (Heroes 2) got it right. GoldenEye didn't?
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we didn't have a whole lot of time to screw around with bounding boxes and other control settings when we captured the video. It's possible that they included these features, but running mulitplayer 'out of the box' was clunky at best.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
JediMB said:
CaptainCrunch said:
WHAT.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we didn't have a whole lot of time to screw around with bounding boxes and other control settings when we captured the video. It's possible that they included these features, but running mulitplayer 'out of the box' was clunky at best.
Alright. Yeah, I just found out on my own that the game does have sensitivity settings:

SzFatalxp @ GameSpot said:
Khan button layout (shake chuck to reload, Dpad-Down melee, etc)
Minimum Dead Zone
Maximum Turn Box at Full height and width of screen
Cursor sensitivity at half the bar's length
Horizontal turn speed at 60% of the bar
Vertial turn speed at 10% of the bar

With this you should be able to turn on-a-dime and kill an enemy behind you in under 1 second.

Sitting closer to the sensor bar helps sometimes too.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
When the phrase "It's comparable to modern day first person shooters" is in the review can't take it seriously. It is a modern day first person shooter!!! Come one, seriously, when you compare it to MW2 or other FPS's on other consoles it just can't stand on it's own merit. Every single aspect that you pointed out can be found elsewhere, done better. Granted, it's a Bond game, meaning it has a unique story; albeit one that was already written 13 years ago. I will most likely end up picking it up because I want to have something to play when I visit my girlfriend, but I'll stick to my 360 and my PS3, where my games don't have to come with clarifications that say that they are modern day shooters.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I want to play this just because deadmau5 & Kaskade was playing in the nightclub!!