Review: GoldenEye 007

CornP

Apr 4, 2010
Thanks but no thanks, for me buying this would mean wasting my money.

The N64 version was truly a step forward in gaming, this isn't at all.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
KEM10 said:
NO BORIS?!?!?!

But he is invincible!
This.
Also, I heard some Deadmau5.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I somehow doubt this game will have all the extra characters and stuff for multiplayer, if anyone can remember the unlockable "Scientist" skins and "Moonraker Henchmen" and things? :p

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This game is pretty fun, but it could be better. It's got a charming simplicity, gorgeous graphics by Wii standards, and great level design, but it still feels kinda dated. I'd still rather play this than Halo.

P.S. Thanks

somacruz500

Jul 9, 2010
I just wanna start off by saying I'm glad Nintendo got exclusivity for this game, they deserve it.(I grew up with Nintendo and Sony, so pardon the fanboyism.)
I think we're forgetting that most games today are reskinned CoD games, which come on, is it that surprising? Its fracking Activision for christ sakes, thats the only kind of FPS they know how to do, but I digress, its either a reskinned CoD clone or a reskinned Halo clones these days, which in all honesty, Halo: Combat Evolved was a step in the right direction for console shooters after GoldenEye on N64, Call of Duty... Not so much. Everything after 2001 for first person shooters pretty much became trash in terms of story for campaign, but this would be Call of Duty: Done Right Edition, since the story is actually extremely good in single player, especially for a Bond game these days, and all they did for online multi was copy and paste CoD Multi with Bond characters.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
shogunblade said:
I certainly have to say, I can remember a lot about Goldeneye (But not like everybody else, I was afraid of First Person Shooters).

Although, now that I am older, and can play an FPS and enjoy it, the hardest thing for me is finding a copy of the original for the N64, and while I am not a big fan of the Wii, I just might consider picking one up for the very small amount of games that look like a lot of fun, one of them being Goldeneye.

Awesome review.
Plus you'd have Epic Mickey to look forward to.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
somacruz500 said:
I just wanna start off by saying I'm glad Nintendo got exclusivity for this game, they deserve it.(I grew up with Nintendo and Sony, so pardon the fanboyism.)

I think we're forgetting that most games today are reskinned CoD games, which come on, is it that surprising? Its fracking Activision for christ sakes, thats the only kind of FPS they know how to do, but I digress, its either a reskinned CoD clone or a reskinned Halo clones these days, which in all honesty, Halo: Combat Evolved was a step in the right direction for console shooters after GoldenEye on N64, Call of Duty... Not so much. Everything after 2001 for first person shooters pretty much became trash in terms of story for campaign.
Im sorry but no. The Wii, with one of the most poorly impeleneted online systems in history, is not the right place to put a great online componant. "Best multiplayer for a Wii game" is kind of like the award for "Fastest 100 metres in the obesity clinic" since you are crippled with freind codes, paradoxically an online implementation a step backwards from IP adresses we saw go over 15 years ago.

Also Things have been just swell since 2001 for shooters. This is one of the things that REALLY annoys me when people spout it and it's quite a widespread false beleif. Shooters have actually been getting better, much better, and much more unique and distinct from eachother in the past decade. allow me to create a segement callled "A list of games that shows you have no idea what you are on about". I coouldn't think of a snappier title.

Half life 2
Half life 2; episode 1
Half Life 2; esposide 2
TimeSplitters 2
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (the only 2 im going to assume you are familiar with)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Developer's Cut
Far Cry
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
BioShock
BioShock 2
Fallout 3
STALKER; Shadow of chernobyl
STALKER; Clear Sky
STALKER; Call of pripyat.
Metro 2033 (thus ends the Ukrainian section)
Resistance
Resistance 2
Tne Darkness (who dosen't like having demon arms?)
Crysis

All great games that are nothing like CoD or Halo and feature a VERY strong singleplayer campaign.
I agree with you on that, except Resistance 1. People only thought it was good because it was the first halfway decent FPS on PS3, which at the time was like saying "best multiplayer for a Wii game" =-) Seriously though, Resistance was barely a step above a rail shooter and the story was predictable.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't mind Daniel Craig being Bond in this. It's not so much to really complain about since before we only got Brosnan's face(Not even that good of a representation, you could substitute George Lazenby in that with ease). I am actually more sad that Sean Bean wasn't able to return to be Alec. But getting Judi Dench as M(um) is always music to my ears.
All things aside it looks as if everything that was loved about the N64 Goldeneye has returned with a bit more glitter....except one thing:
If they somehow worked an homage to that piece of nostalgia in there, I would be shocked, pleased, and giggly.

somacruz500

Jul 9, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
somacruz500 said:

I think we're forgetting that most games today are reskinned CoD games, which come on, is it that surprising? Its fracking Activision for christ sakes, thats the only kind of FPS they know how to do, but I digress, its either a reskinned CoD clone or a reskinned Halo clones these days, which in all honesty, Halo: Combat Evolved was a step in the right direction for console shooters after GoldenEye on N64, Call of Duty... Not so much. Everything after 2001 for first person shooters pretty much became trash in terms of story for campaign.
Im sorry but no. The Wii, with one of the most poorly impeleneted online systems in history, is not the right place to put a great online componant. "Best multiplayer for a Wii game" is kind of like the award for "Fastest 100 metres in the obesity clinic" since you are crippled with freind codes, paradoxically an online implementation a step backwards from IP adresses we saw go over 15 years ago.

Also Things have been just swell since 2001 for shooters. This is one of the things that REALLY annoys me when people spout it and it's quite a widespread false beleif. Shooters have actually been getting better, much better, and much more unique and distinct from eachother in the past decade. allow me to create a segement callled "A list of games that shows you have no idea what you are on about". I coouldn't think of a snappier title.

Half life 2
Half life 2; episode 1
Half Life 2; esposide 2
TimeSplitters 2
Metroid Prime
Far Cry
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
BioShock
BioShock 2
Fallout 3
STALKER; Clear Sky
Resistance
Resistance 2
Crysis

All great games that are nothing like CoD or Halo and feature a VERY strong singleplayer campaign.
First off, where have you been, the story for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was absolute shit, not to mention extremely predictable, also, I was talking about console shooters, so Half Life 2 gets ruled out since its usually a PC only played game and is absolute crap on a console. Fallout 3 has the option of being first or third person, but if you're going to put it on there you have to include Morrowind and Oblivion in that list since they're presented in first person format as well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is PC only, so that rules those out pretty quickly since we're only talking about Console shooters, Escape from Butcher Bay... Come on do we really need to talk about that game, if you're going to use that one at least make it the version that came with Assault on Dark Athena, that was vastly superior to the original or Directors Cut, and actually bearable to look at too, not to mention, did we really need a prequel story to Riddick? Crysis, yeap, PC game, that gets booted off the list next, not to mention they put graphics before everything else in that game, your list is starting to dwindle dude... Hmmmmmm... Lets see... Ah yes, DooM 3... If you honestly believe the story in that was good... Theres something wrong with you, they might as well have called it DooM: The Lights don't Work edition. F.E.A.R., don't make me laugh, that failed as both a FPS and a Horror game, especially with the controls. Next up, Bioshock 2, what is there to say other than they were trying to capitalize on the Big Daddies to sell this game, not to mention the original team that worked on Bioshock had no involvement on it at all, and the storyline did have the same kind of impact as the last one, and I actually enjoyed ripping the ADAM out of the little girls in the sequel, the morality of your actions wasn't clear in that one like it was in the first, not to mention, "OH YOU CAN DUAL WIELD?" well that hasn't been anything new since Halo 2. I think I'll rip The Darkness up next, oh what can I say about this one that hasn't already been said, from the horrible controls to the shitty story, this game was craptacular and shitastic, bit of advice, you want to a game with a character that has a Demon arm, play Devil May Cry 4. The Resistance games... Ah I would have loved them had it not been for them being a simple copy and paste of every other sci-fi first person shooter, basic plot summary: Single american war hero joins up with brits to combat a genetic alien virus that was spawned in... Oh Russia? You guys again? Silly ruskies, always causing trouble for the world. Metro 2033? So now we're talking about the Russian equivalent of Fallout, basic plot summary: Nuclear war with another country causes people to live underground in the Russian equivalent of a Vault dew to mutants and fallout from the bombs. You know I actually liked that game too, but the more I played it the more I realized it was basically Fallout 3: Russian Edition. So I pretty much shot down all but Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(and I've played and beaten the third one), Far Cry, Bioshock, and Fallout 3.
Also, don't talk to me about multiplayer, because my response to that is going to be the exact same as Yhatzee's, if you're going to sell a game at full price it needs to be able to stand up on single player alone because there are problems with the multiplayer that the game itself can't help.

somacruz500

Jul 9, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
somacruz500 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
somacruz500 said:

Half life 2
Half life 2; episode 1
Half Life 2; esposide 2
TimeSplitters 2
Metroid Prime
Far Cry
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
BioShock
BioShock 2
Fallout 3
STALKER; Clear Sky
Resistance
Resistance 2
Crysis

**Massive wall of text that barely makes sense attacking every game on that list** .
Wow, nice formatting there. I would debate it but we've all been knocked dead by your wall of text. Honestly every piont you made there borders on the limits of what is reasonable or even sane. Peice of advace; if you want to defend blanket statements like "FPS has been shit since 2001" don't just go on a wall of text rant basically screaming "Teh game is usually on teh PC!!11!!11! It no count!!!11!!!" or "That game is teh suck!!!" it makes you look like a fool.
Awh thats cute, is that really all you could come back with, elementary grade insults? Awh I'm hurt deep down, really I am, WOUNDED even O____O, how will I ever get over it? Also congrats on misspelling *PIECE* and *ADVICE* two of the probably easiest words to spell in the English language. Either way it just seems you're all pissy now because I shot down nearly all of, what is *IN YOUR OPINION* good shooters, when they are in all actuality mediocre at best, barring the two Metroid Prime games of course, especially since a majority of the games you listed really did nothing for First Person Shooters as a genre at all and are all as generic as the genre they are in.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's the game we thought couldn't exist, by completely throwing away the one unique feature of the Wii and going back to a standard controller?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Speaking as somebody who's seen the film more than fifty times, I have to say how pleased I am that they've taken even more liberties with the script and settings than they did with the N64 version. >_>

Eh, I'll probably pick it up at some point, despite looking pretty much like Call Of Duty 12: Russians And A Sneaky English Bloke Edition.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
Yeah, you can use Gamecube Controller, but I'd imagine that the C-stick won't be the most comfortable out of all the control choices.
I was king and master of James Bond: Nightfire with my wavebird, so that won't be much of a problem. Thanks for the answer, anyway. ;)