Review: Halo: ODST

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Halo: ODST

The good news is that Halo: ODST is more of what you love about Halo. That's also the bad news.

Read Full Article

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Curious, I've read the campaign is roughly 4 hours on Normal, and watching the video it looked as if that was the mode you were playing (that or they really made it easier to kill things in Heroic).

The overall impression I've heard is that this game just isn't worth $60, so I'm going to hold off for a bit even though I honestly do want to give it a whirl.

AxelMiller

Sep 22, 2009
Im not the one person to bother with Halo. As long as the game is long (Wich ccesarano implies is only four hours). Mostly i dont even care about multiplayer wich this game seems to lack. Or does it?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
"Orbital Drop Ship Troopers"

Yeh stopped reading there. If you cant remember the title of the game your reviewing then no ones going to take your opinion seriously.

Incidentally can I remind you of the old proverb "if it aint broke don't fix it"

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
This seems like it should be cheaper than $60, but it looks like fun.
I'll just have to wait for a price drop.
Molten Water said:
Its Orbital Drop Shock Troopers i Thought...
your right, its SHOCK troopers not SHIP troopers. He just said it wrong

Ohten

Apr 14, 2009
Halo 3 ODST: More generic plot line, more ten-year-olds shrieking over X-Box Live, and more gameplay that's been done better elsewhere.

Can't wait.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Stubee said:

Yeh stopped reading there. If you cant remember the title of the game your reviewing then no ones going to take your opinion seriously.
Haha...I guess the game didn't leave much of an impression on Pitt's...making you wonder if its worth the purchase?
Stubee said:
Incidentally can I remind you of the old proverb "if it aint broke don't fix it"
That is the problem...the game sounds more like a DLC or expansion than a title worth being sold separately at full price.

Still...that won't stop the die hard fans...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Ohten said:
Halo 3 ODST: More generic plot line, more ten-year-olds shrieking over X-Box Live, and more gameplay that's been done better elsewhere.

Can't wait.
The biggest problem i have with the game is that it has a high price tag even though it's really just a level pack with a new story for Halo 3. According to the review, there are NO new enemy's!

Ohten

Apr 14, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
The biggest problem i have with the game is that it has a high price tag even though it's really just a level pack with a new story for Halo 3. According to the review, there are NO new enemy's!
Yeah. It seems the order of the day lately is charging full price for something that ought to be a $15 expansion pack. Thank EA and Activision for making it cool by releasing the same game every year with a couple minor touch ups and shinier graphics.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Molten Water said:
Yeah, that was my bad. Mea culpa. "Drop shock troopers" is so ghey, my mind refused to accept it. Apologies to anyone who considers this a terminal error.

NavyJames

Sep 3, 2009
Stubee said:

Wow, do you make a living pointing out irrelevent nitpicks or is it just a hobby? ;)

hansari

May 31, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Yeah, that was my bad. Mea culpa. "Drop shock troopers" is so ghey, my mind refused to accept it. Apologies to anyone who considers this a terminal error.
The games title is NOT meant to appeal to the fanatic 12 yr old demographic :p

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.
There aren't new enemies, but there's harder versions of the enemies already in halo.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
It is "orbital drop shock troopers", but hey. The game is alright. I have it, Just came out this morning. Firefight is amazingly fun. :D

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Looks worth buying. Solid campaign fan and it will be nice to get all the maps for Halo 3. A pitty it couldn't be more inventive. Halo 3 seems positively revolutionary compared to this. At least halo 3 introduced bubble shields and other items, forge etc. All this game seems to have is that horde mode thing which was in gears 2 wasn't it?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
*bows head in respect to THE MAN*
just as i thought - halo 3 again, just with a couple different guns and a naturally harder difficulty

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If it weren't priced for the most efficient gouging of impressionable Halo fans, I might consider picking this up, if I knew it required more tactical thinking than the usual Master Chief/Arbiter wade-into-enemy-fire-guns-blazing procedure. This being Halo, however, I'm sure even the fragile ODST troopers regenerate their health pretty quickly.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
If it weren't priced for the most efficient gouging of impressionable Halo fans, I might consider picking this up, if I knew it required more tactical thinking than the usual Master Chief/Arbiter wade-into-enemy-fire-guns-blazing procedure. This being Halo, however, I'm sure even the fragile ODST troopers regenerate their health pretty quickly.
Actually they brought back the health system.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
05rutterb said:
There aren't new enemies, but there's harder versions of the enemies already in halo.
Heh.

Well that's not very creative. Harder versions of the same enemy's don't count as new enemy's in my book.

RadioActiveChimp

Mar 3, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
05rutterb said:
Heh.

Well that's not very creative. Harder versions of the same enemy's don't count as new enemy's in my book.
one thing i'll say about the enemy's is that the A.I. is far FAR better. firefight feels like a different game with the same visuals.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
"This is what Bungie does, and they do it better than anyone else."

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
muffincakes said:

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.
What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"More of what you love about Halo" - seriously the only other game series that can shamelessly get away with packing the exact same features every time is Mario.

EDIT: Oh and Bungie are some of the worst and most boring/unoriginal developers there is.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
muffincakes said:

What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.
Well, first off, the game has been released. Second, I did not bash the game, I merely pointed out certain characteristics about the other games which are true, and that I disagree with(the games are floaty, and the multiplayer is recylcled[although that could be said about any game]). Third, the only reason I stated my opinions in the manner that I did was because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.

The only troll here is you, for trying to start an argument when one is not needed or necessary. If you disagree with my opinions, fine, to each his own. But don't try to shoot down my opinions an act like you are the high and mighty enforcer; all you are going to do is start trouble.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
meh... if there is nothing new about Odst there will be no point of buying it, since the original game was just like Ut 2004 with 10 times more health in the multiplayer mode.
By the way, Halo has not changed gaming history, it has been more of a step in the wrong direction of the console fps

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
muffincakes said:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.
Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.
Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?
Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
Don't bother, it's rather tiresome to convince Halo-haters to think otherwise. They'll always pull that stuff out right back at you. It's best just to avoid them.

EDIT: Scratch that, I see he apologized... guess I should too. I've just grown to stray away from "Halo sucks" comments in every form. The people that make them usually don't take it back.

More on topic, this basically just made me look forward to the game more. I'm a bit overly fond of the Halo story, and I've wanted a very, VERY long time to be able to play as an ODST. And the fact that three of them will be Mal, Wash, and Jayne just make it all the better.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
muffincakes said:
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*
We're not most reviewers. :)

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
KDR_11k said:
The good news is that Halo: ODST is more of what you love about Halo. That's also the bad news.
Wait, they're shipping an empty box?
Good one, that made me laugh.

Interesting review, not much use to me, I have no 360 to play this on.
I will say that I loved the ODST commercials, and my inner,bitter, Halo-hating cynic, sees a positive review of ODST on a site that just went under an ODST makeover...

But I don't think you guys are guilty of the same thing as that other videogame review site, this is a great site for reviews when you guys have them. So cheers! and I hope everyone enjoys ODST.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Wow. It's amazing how many people can look at a recommendation like this:

Recommendation: If you're a slave to multiplayer, then you need this game. Everyone else will be playing it, plus it comes with the complete set of Halo 3 downloadable maps as a bonus freebie. If multiplayer isn't your thing, then you might give this a rent to see if it hooks you. You'll probably still enjoy it, even if you're not a Halo fanboy, but the price is a bit high for such a short game.
and still say this review proves the game isn't any good. Say hello to the internet's biggest demographic which hates a game without playing it, everyone! The Halo hater!

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Holy crap that's badass.

And I find it funny to read a review on ODST with the game's ad completely over-saturating the page. Not saying it causes bias, it's just amusing.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I dont trust any game that gets an great review by handing out advance copies to certain large websites that specialize in game reviews. Coincidence it scores a 9.0 on Gamespot 2 days before launch with huge ODST banners everywhere on their site?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
What ranks are the new characters? Pope, King, Emperor, and maybe Master of The Universe? Master Chief is a Navy rank not a marine rank, so why not include other ranks Not part of the marine Corps?

Culnaej

May 19, 2009
EquinoxETO said:
just as i thought - halo 3 again, just with a couple different guns and a naturally harder difficulty
and completely different story? from a perspective of a soldier that isn't god-like?

Culnaej

May 19, 2009
tehroc said:
I dont trust any game that gets an great review by handing out advance copies to certain large websites that specialize in game reviews. Coincidence it scores a 9.0 on Gamespot 2 days before launch with huge ODST banners everywhere on their site?
Second post in a row by me. I trust those games. Probably because I'm not a huge conspiricist of corruption because I understand that to review/preview a game, you need to have it. That's why a lot of companies already have the reviews, so you can decide if you want it or not so you don't buy a shit game and a couple weeks later find out its a shit game from a review. Also, about the banners? It's not coincidence, it's just marketing.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Pugiron said:
What ranks are the new characters? Pope, King, Emperor, and maybe Master of The Universe? Master Chief is a Navy rank not a marine rank, so why not include other ranks Not part of the marine Corps?
Your point being? It's not being presented as factual, present day or even necessarily a futuristic look of our own universe. Obviously they are borrowing terms, but yes if they wanted to say that Corporals of the Halo-verse are called Popes there is no factual reference for why they couldn't. Besides the fact, in the lore Master Chief is not a Marine. The Spartans fall into the UNSC Naval Special Warfare Command. [footnote]http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/SPARTAN-II[/footnote]

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Firefly cast are doing the voiceovers?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
I just want to say, the more I play the ODST campaign the more I love it. The missions are your typical Halo action, if a little slower paced than what we came to expect in Halo 3 - but then it might just be what happens when you set a game in New Mombasa, since they were fairly reminiscent of the Earth missions from Halo 2.

The nighttime exploration of the city while playing as the Rookie is just... fantastic. It's not a particularly deep city, but stalking the dim streets, being guided through a side-story by the Superintendent, broody sax music playing in the background. It all comes together perfectly.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Slycne said:
Your point being? It's not being presented as factual, present day or even necessarily a futuristic look of our own universe. Obviously they are borrowing terms, but yes in if they wanted to say that Corporals of the Halo-verse are called Popes there is no factual reference for why they couldn't. Besides the fact in the lore Master Chief is not a Marine, Spartens fall into the UNSC Naval Special Warfare Command.
Kudos for both providing an excellent reason for why it was a silly complaint, AND pointing out how he was wrong. Delicious.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
hansari said:
Stubee said:

Haha...I guess the game didn't leave much of an impression on Pitt's...making you wonder if its worth the purchase?
Stubee said:
That is the problem...the game sounds more like a DLC or expansion than a title worth being sold separately at full price.

Still...that won't stop the die hard fans...
Trust me, it's worth it. Firefight is amazing, the campaign is amazing, it's just... oh god, it's a lovely game. The thing I hate about Firefight though, is that you have to either join someone, or invite people; You can't just do a search for Firefight lobbies. Otherwise, it's a great game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Culnaej said:
tehroc said:
Second post in a row by me. I trust those games. Probably because I'm not a huge conspiricist of corruption because I understand that to review/preview a game, you need to have it. That's why a lot of companies already have the reviews, so you can decide if you want it or not so you don't buy a shit game and a couple weeks later find out its a shit game from a review. Also, about the banners? It's not coincidence, it's just marketing.
Indeed. Companies want you to buy the game the day it comes out, so they want to have the reviews at the ready. The only way to coordinate that is to get copies to reviewers early. No big conspiracy at work, just timing. Same with the adverts. It's really not all that different than movies. Movie reviewers are either sent the movie before it's released or allowed into an advanced screening of the film.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
AxelMiller said:
Im not the one person to bother with Halo. As long as the game is long (Wich ccesarano implies is only four hours). Mostly i dont even care about multiplayer wich this game seems to lack. Or does it?
Actually, no, no it doesn't, not sure why he left htis off, but it has a new Multiplayer feature called firefight, which if you've played CoD: WaW, its similar to Nazi Zombies, but instead of being locked in a room, your in a an open map, and instead of zombies, your fighting covenant. So.. I think that sounds fun, you might not though.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Wow, I have to say for a Halo thread this isn't that bad. Normally it's just screaming and swearing.
OT: I think I'll pick it up. Firefight looks to good to give up.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I just wanted to add that if you didn't buy Halo3 (how could you?) then ODST is probably your best bet.

You'll save some money since you get most of halo3 (except the campaign) and you get all the map packs, including the newest one exclusive to ODST.

If you have Halo3 and all of the map packs then you're in the same boat as me and got pretty ripped off I guess.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
I have never heard such a fanboy review, seriously I think I heard you say "10 different kinds of awesome" like 10 times.

-edit-
Ok so maybe I was a little harsh, the review got better as it went on.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I dunno, on legendary a couple of grunts can nail you if you cock up pretty bad.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Kstreitenfeld said:
I have never heard such a fanboy review, seriously I think I heard you say "10 different kinds of awesome" like 10 times.

-edit-
Ok so maybe I was a little harsh, the review got better as it went on.
I was going to thrash you for your comment, but then I decided to read all of it before responding. Glad I did that. Wish more people did, too.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Curtmiester said:
Wow, I have to say for a Halo thread this isn't that bad. Normally it's just screaming and swearing.
OT: I think I'll pick it up. Firefight looks to good to give up.
It is amazing, my friend. It's just a little boring when you don't have a headset to use (Mine broke >:[), or playing with four friends (Hint hint?). But otherwise, it's fun as hell.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
I guess people forgot about the engineer...

I guess that wouldn't count as an enemy right? Anyway, nice review, if only my xbox didn't break a day before it's release :(

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Stubee said:
Very true when that is the case.

But I'll leave it at that. There are enough people that like the game to justify it never changing.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Indeed. Companies want you to buy the game the day it comes out, so they want to have the reviews at the ready. The only way to coordinate that is to get copies to reviewers early. No big conspiracy at work, just timing. Same with the adverts. It's really not all that different than movies. Movie reviewers are either sent the movie before it's released or allowed into an advanced screening of the film.
It's a little more complicated than that. I worked on 2 magazines and a TV show that did videogame reviews, and saw firsthand the subtle & overt pressures brought to bear by publishers and PR firms. They have swag, previews, access, and advertising money to play with: it's usually not as simple as 'give us a good review and we'll buy $x worth of ads', but it is fundamentally their job to try and get positive coverage. Good outlets like The Escapist resist or ignore the pressure, but there's a reason so many prominent sites give 'blockbuster' games (ie those with a large PR budget) such crazy high review scores in their first week...

Cheers

Colin

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:

Recommendation: If you're a slave to multiplayer, then you need this game. Everyone else will be playing it, plus it comes with the complete set of Halo 3 downloadable maps as a bonus freebie. If multiplayer isn't your thing, then you might give this a rent to see if it hooks you. You'll probably still enjoy it, even if you're not a Halo fanboy, but the price is a bit high for such a short game.
and still say this review proves the game isn't any good. Say hello to the internet's biggest demographic which hates a game without playing it, everyone! The Halo hater!
It helps when you read the thing that you quote before boldly stating the exact opposite of what the message was trying to convey.

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
The reason why I would have even been slightly interested in ODST is because I was promised fresh and new. If this is roughly the same as Halo 3, then forget about it.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh well. I saw that behind the scenes video thingy, and thought it looked like Halo repackaged for people who didn't like Halo. I didn't like Halo, so I was sold. This review makes it look like it's Halo for people who like Halo. Looks like another miss for me.

EDIT: Holy crap, I hadn't watched the video yet. Russ Pitts, your voice is awesome. How do you manage to live sounding that great?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Modern Warfare 2 > Halo 3 ODST

Fanboys can fuck off when they can't accept the truth. :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
05rutterb said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.
yea, its called legendary difficulty.

this game? its halo 3 multiplayer without shields, add in two new weapons [atleast those that I found and used] and you have a DLC pack thats in the guise of a game, congratulations Bungie, you gave us another half assed game. Halo 2 was strike one, Halo Wars was strike two.........

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Kalezian said:
05rutterb said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.

this game? its halo 3 multiplayer without shields, add in two new weapons [atleast those that I found and used] and you have a DLC pack thats in the guise of a game, congratulations Bungie, you gave us another half assed game. Halo 2 was strike one, Halo Wars was strike two.........
Again, I would like to point out the engineers...

And Halo Wars was made be ES, not Bungie. Bungie had no role in halo wars what so ever.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
yoofroof said:
Modern Warfare 2 > Halo 3 ODST

Fanboys can fuck off when they can't accept the truth. :)
Hooray for Hypocrisy. Well, at least this guy will stop making accounts once he realizes that our words are to big for his brain.

Anyhow, I say that it's essentially Halo 3 with a few improvements. There's some good and there's bad. It sort of balances out leaving it at an average point. The main pull of Halo 3 was it's insanely customizable multiplayer, and since this comes with that, has a new campaign (that from what I've heard is good, unlike that of Halo 3, but is relatively short), and a new mode (Firefight looks like fun) I'd say this is definitely worth at least a rental for people who don't hate Halo.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Kalezian said:

QFT

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Anyone who paid sixty dollarts for this game is a fucking idiot and a fanboy

FUCK HALO 3 ODST

FUCK BUNGIE

FUCK HALO FANS

AND FUCK GAYLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
just finished campaign on normal, i thought it was very enjoyable. i guess u can call me a halo fan. i like it, i don't love it, but i like it. anyway i did feel it was a bit too short and yeah if u hate halo its not different enough to be worth getting into. but its a solid story, much better then halo3's, i started getting attached to the characters like i did in Cod4 (to make it PERFECTLY CLEAR COD4 is STILL WAY better so please don't flame me because i compared the two games).

anyway, its something pretty decent to hopefully keep me occupied until November, when i hibernate in my room for MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2.

my only compliant is the story is way too short and firefight doesn't have matchmaking =p

Chad Brumfield

Zombie Apocalypse Specialist
Mar 29, 2009
The campaign took about six hours to finish. The story was really good, interesting to get this kind of view outside of the Master Chief's role and I'm a Firefly fanboy so I loved the acting and hearing all the lines. In spite of that, I'm not happy with the way this thing turned out. A fair amount of money to drop on something that, for all intents and purposes, is really just a side story that could have been sold for about twenty dollars cheaper.

I did a few rounds of Firefight and sorry, it doesn't work for me. I really do like the concept of multiplayer vs AIs but Gears of War 2 beat you to it. Hell you could argue that Left 4 Dead did it first. All the extra DLC maps is a nice bonus, but even packing all this stuff together it isn't worth the cost. I find myself enjoying the multiplayer in Gears 2 over Halo, I DEFINITELY prefer Horde mode over Firefight, and because this was one of the big games of the season that I'm looking forward to, I really hope that better things will come of the rest of the line up.

Good effort, bad follow through.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
Nathan Fillion is bloody epic.

Plus the thing between Buck and Dare is the only real romance in any of the Halo games (the thing between Johnson and Miranda Keys doesn't count).

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Random One said:
EDIT: Holy crap, I hadn't watched the video yet. Russ Pitts, your voice is awesome. How do you manage to live sounding that great?
It's not easy out here for a pimp ...

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
I played a few seconds of it at a friend's house and I can't say I'm impressed. I was psyched to experience the Halo universe from the eyes of a squishy, vulnerable ordinary human being; however, I can't say I got much of that from the few baddies I shot. Maybe I was playing on easy, but I don't think there was much of a difference between how many bullets I could soak up and how many MC can take.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
awsome117 said:
Kalezian said:
05rutterb said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.

Again, I would like to point out the engineers...

And Halo Wars was made be ES, not Bungie. Bungie had no role in halo wars what so ever.
They had to have some role in Halo Wars, if not then call up the copyright infringement lawyers, maybe this time they wont have to dick around with the whole Edge controversy.

the point is this game is a let down......a real bad let down. sure the story has some sliver of origonality, but it just feels like your the MC who got hit by a Metroid ray. you are supposed to be a regular soldier [special forces though] but still you are able to beat down wave after wave of enemies, add in the 4 player co-op and there really isnt any difficulty save for the nice plasma grenade throws the grunts provide on legendary. this game could of been more, had it actually been a game by itself.

lets hope Reach is atleast a little different.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
the only reason you would want this really is for firefight mode im gunna wait for a price drop until its atleast 30 quid

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Culnaej said:
EquinoxETO said:
and completely different story? from a perspective of a soldier that isn't god-like?
but its going through the motions. the story is basic - enemies in town - you kill their ass(ets).
bunjie had to admit that the only difference in the characters is their starting equipment. everyone can use every weapon from the off
Russ Pitts said:
It's not easy out here for a pimp ...
you actually reply to posts on your video? that beats basically ever forum ive been in! most just ignore the scum scuttling around at their feet. id be looking pointedly at yahtzee right now, but his greatness blinds me :(
Russ Pitts = Respect++
[nerdy joke on my behalf = coolness--]

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
You know, as a fan of the Halo universe, I'm finding the bitching about a "short campaign" absolutely hilarious. The Halo games have never had a campaign any longer than 6-8 hours, just like ODST. Halo 3 was essentially Halo 2 with a new campaign and a couple new or revamped multiplayer maps. I guess you could add in four player online co-op, but still.

I know for sure that I'm picking up ODST. Yeah, sure, play it on the lower difficulty settings and I'm sure it's exactly like the original Halo, but things (from what I hear from my friends) get much more complicated as the difficulty increases. I'll definitely get back to this thread as soon as I have the game in my hands.

Sexy Street

Sep 15, 2009
I want to say this. Video games are meant to be a device used for entertainment. Really video games are just complex board games. And board games are just a toy so video games are just a really complex toy. If the toy is fun and entertaining then it has fulfilled its job. Halo is just meant to be fun, and that is what it is. ODST is no difference.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
It turned my roommate into a slobering zombie. *throws shoe* Yep, he's dead to this world. I would pick up the controller for firefight but I might get my hand nawd off.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
maantren said:
Susan Arendt said:
It's a little more complicated than that. I worked on 2 magazines and a TV show that did videogame reviews, and saw firsthand the subtle & overt pressures brought to bear by publishers and PR firms. They have swag, previews, access, and advertising money to play with: it's usually not as simple as 'give us a good review and we'll buy $x worth of ads', but it is fundamentally their job to try and get positive coverage. Good outlets like The Escapist resist or ignore the pressure, but there's a reason so many prominent sites give 'blockbuster' games (ie those with a large PR budget) such crazy high review scores in their first week...

Cheers

Colin
Well, yes, I'm quite aware of all that, having been writing about videogames for almost ten years now. I never said such pressures didn't exist, merely tried to point out that not everything is a conspiracy.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
Chad Brumfield said:
I really do like the concept of multiplayer vs AIs but Gears of War 2 beat you to it. Hell you could argue that Left 4 Dead did it first.
Or you could even go back a little more and remember the invasion mode in ut04 ;) (i guess there are some older games out there, who did that too)

I prefer firefight over horde mode, simply because of the skulls and the fact that you can't just camp in spot anymore and have an easy win

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Here's hoping for a review of the Reach beta. That's the main reason I'm buying, I'm a big Ghost Recon fan.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
i feel the game was lacking to be honest as you cant play it like normal halo as your not the master chief so theres no running into a large group of covenant and then putting boot to ass.

That took me a while to get used too but as soon as i did i felt it was a nice change of pace as the story had started to pick up and then as i thought here we go some proper halo action the game ends.

Next what happened to the vehicles was it just me or do they all not turn properly anymore i noticed this mostly with the warthog as i gave up trying to drive the damn thing and jumped on the turret.

Also i thought the game was called "Orbital Drop Shock Troopers" as you only orbit drop once and that goes horribly wrong as i was expecting a few more drops the way bungie hyped it up so much.

but having mael from firefly as the squad leader was a great choice.

So to be honest i was quite disappointed with Halo 3 odst.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Utarefson said:
Chad Brumfield said:
I really do like the concept of multiplayer vs AIs but Gears of War 2 beat you to it. Hell you could argue that Left 4 Dead did it first.
Or you could even go back a little more and remember the invasion mode in ut04 ;) (i guess there are some older games out there, who did that too)
You're forgetting the Multi-Man Brawls in Super Smash Bros. Melee!!11!one1!

Or we could ignore "x did it before y" as a valid criticism of anything. For shame that so many games copied whoever originally invented the idea of deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF, king of the hill, etc, etc, et cetera.

Debate the merits of their implementation, by all means, state preferences even, but lay off the "[a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasim]Spasim[/a] did it first, these copy-cats are teh sucks."

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I really didn't mind the game. I'm not a die hard fan, but I thought it was a lot more fun than actual Halo. The characters felt a lot heavier, so I didn't get the impression that I was walking on the moon, which I really enjoyed!
They also fixed the PISS slow movement rate that you walked when you grabbed a turret on Halo 3.
I've been having fun with it. I really enjoy fire fight mode which I find to be a good way to kick back and have some insane fun with friends in a generally noncompetitive environment.

I will give it to you, the campaign is short. I dont mind too much though. It's fun, I enjoyed it. That's that I reckon.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.
He's wrong. There are some new flying projectile enemies that explode when you shoot them.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
I wasn't really gonna pick this up, but since hearing the voiceovers from the folks from Firefly, I'm definitely gonna at least rent this.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Jun 19, 2020
Country
United States
Eh. I'm willing to try this game out, but it looks really lazy. From what I can see there are only two weapons here that weren't in Halo 3, and both are simply rehashes (a silenced version of a mediocre gun and the brute plasma rifle returning). I've seen one new enemy type. The gameplay, despite touting being a "weaker human", looks largely the same. I simply cannot fathom how this is enough new content for a $60 price tag. It especially doesn't make sense when you look at the outcry against L4D2.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
JugglerPanda said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

It helps when you read the thing that you quote before boldly stating the exact opposite of what the message was trying to convey.
I beg your pardon? The quote indicates the game is very good for anyone who focuses on multiplayer, but any other player would probably enjoy it as well. Hence it saying:

If you're a slave to multiplayer, then you need this game
and
If multiplayer isn't your thing, then you might give this a rent to see if it hooks you. You'll probably still enjoy it, even if you're not a Halo fanboy
The only complaint in the summary is that it's quite short, and while that's a pretty big complaint this still sounds like a positive review overall. The review summary says it's good (above average at least) yet people fill up the comments section saying how this review shows the game is terrible. It certainly isn't saying the "game isn't any good".

Unless there's some kind of layered meaning in the summary? Some kind of hidden message?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Kalezian said:
They had to have some role in Halo Wars, if not then call up the copyright infringement lawyers, maybe this time they wont have to dick around with the whole Edge controversy.

the point is this game is a let down......a real bad let down. sure the story has some sliver of origonality, but it just feels like your the MC who got hit by a Metroid ray. you are supposed to be a regular soldier [special forces though] but still you are able to beat down wave after wave of enemies, add in the 4 player co-op and there really isnt any difficulty save for the nice plasma grenade throws the grunts provide on legendary. this game could of been more, had it actually been a game by itself.

lets hope Reach is atleast a little different.
Not Really, Bungie doesn't own the halo IP, MS does. If Bungie said no, and MS said yes, then that's what's added.

I'm going to guess you hated CoD 4? Hell, most FPS games in general right? Anyway, for all the bads things that (you think) halo did, it does a lot of good things.

I don't understand your point here. It started out as an expansion, and became much more than that. Do you want it get up, and play it all by itself? You say you want different, but different came around, and this is what you say. I truely don't understand. It's fine if you don't like halo, to each his own. But, saying that there could have been more seems a little dickish don't you think? They made more because of the player(s). Also, if it's the price thing, Bungie doesn't make the price, MS does(with about every xbox game to date).

I know I'm ranting, and probably won't change your views on it, but I just had to bring up these points.

yaik7a

Aug 9, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Molten Water said:
What why is it ghey

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
JugglerPanda said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

I beg your pardon? The quote indicates the game is very good for anyone who focuses on multiplayer, but any other player would probably enjoy it as well. Hence it saying:

If you're a slave to multiplayer, then you need this game
and
If multiplayer isn't your thing, then you might give this a rent to see if it hooks you. You'll probably still enjoy it, even if you're not a Halo fanboy
The only complaint in the summary is that it's quite short, and while that's a pretty big complaint this still sounds like a positive review overall. The review summary says it's good (above average at least) yet people fill up the comments section saying how this review shows the game is terrible. It certainly isn't saying the "game isn't any good".

Unless there's some kind of layered meaning in the summary? Some kind of hidden message?
My apologies, I misinterpreted your post.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
JugglerPanda said:
My apologies, I misinterpreted your post.
It's cool, my orginal post was a bit unclear.

OT: Having now played the game for myself, I have to colmpliment the game on atmosphere; it does an excellent job of making you feel human when compared to Master Chief, and the game is very well designed aesthetically. It certainly manages to make you feel lonely, moving around the burnt out streets in the night.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
RadioActiveChimp said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
05rutterb said:
Heh.

one thing i'll say about the enemy's is that the A.I. is far FAR better. firefight feels like a different game with the same visuals.
The AI is superb in this game. Jackyls strafe together in an almost phalanx sort of fashion. Grunts don't run around the entire time like little sissies, their suicide bombing is more often and more precise. Brutes still run at you head strong but it's much harder to deal with than when you were playing the chief. Snipers are much harder to deal with now. Ammo (especially human) is very scarce and resource management is a larger part of the game than before. The VISR mode works very much like Arkham Asylum's detective mode, it's a cool little addition. Too bad they couldn't have given us infrared or something else cool, too. The review is a little light on content. It seems sort of rushed.

Things left out of the review that are extremely relevant:

*No regenerative health. To heal, the ODST must find a medical station.
*Your shield can only take 1-2 shots on heroic.
*VISR mode outlines relevant objects and targets for you to bring them out against the often dark backgrounds. It works much like the Batman:AA detective mode.
*The return of the Halo: CE tactical magnum.
*Vastly improved AI.

Cardo 8 ATL

Sep 23, 2009
Hi guys, Escapist forum noobie here.

I picked up ODST when it came out and I have to say it's exactly what was promoted by Bungie. You shouldn't be suprised by what you do or don't find as far as content goes. They informed everyone about the details of the campaign/multiplayer/2 disks well before the release and tried their best to justify MS's price point. I do not feel cheated.

I really like the replay value. The AI is more challenging. It is much harder than Halo 3. Three of my buddies and I could last about 2 hours on Heroic in firefight, but only 4-5 minutes on Legendary (not tooting my own horn but we are very good Halo 3 multiplayer players). My same team could breeze through Halo 3's co-op campaign on Legendary. The skull-modification is a great feature. I can only imagine the techniques and tactics that will emerge over time to get the best run in firefight.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
maantren said:
Susan Arendt said:

Cheers

Colin
Well, yes, I'm quite aware of all that, having been writing about videogames for almost ten years now. I never said such pressures didn't exist, merely tried to point out that not everything is a conspiracy.
Sorry, wasn't trying to lecture :) It would be cool to see a site go out on a limb and do a detailed piece about those pressures, though, in the absence of good info it's easy to see why people go straight for the conspiracy angle.

Cheers

Colin

LordKraven

Dec 24, 2008
The game is exactly what I assumed it to be, another Halo remake will all that was good taken even further out and more crap pushed in. Halo 1 is the only one I ever liked, it had a good balance of single and multi playing so if you tried to tackle the game alone you never felt empty or unrewarded.Halo 2 I still bought it but that was the decline in quality on the game. Story mode was about half the length and easy even on hard settings, it started aiming at only multiplayer and thats the only thing they supported. Halo 3 came out and i dident waste my money but friends did and I gave it a fair go, played the story...in 4 hours, 3 with friends. The multiplayer was the same retake of big map X slayer or big map Y CTF and that was 90% of game play right there. And even to standards of FPS games its very shallow and lacks a good amount of featured all for making the backround look nice. I bought this game ODST and returned it the same day because its identical to Halo 3 aside from the fact your not a Spartan. You can down thing quick with no real challange, your allies don't help a whole lot and the game is still once again short, but at least they kept there very shallow and boaring multiplayer well supported. There are many things I can go on about on how Halo is very short, limited and shallow in so many was, and lacks qualitys of a good FPS (a.k.a. Call of duty, Gears of War, even Army of Two was more fun) but I won't, mainly becuase most of Halo's fan bace already know what i'm talking about and the only defence they will trow to it is that it's awsome and sold a lot of copys. So before you spam me with hate mail, take a good long time to think about why you like it and why it is a good game to you then send me good hard facts and things that could be used as a real debate.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
LordKraven said:
The game is exactly what I assumed it to be, another Halo remake will all that was good taken even further out and more crap pushed in. Halo 1 is the only one I ever liked, it had a good balance of single and multi playing so if you tried to tackle the game alone you never felt empty or unrewarded.Halo 2 I still bought it but that was the decline in quality on the game. Story mode was about half the length and easy even on hard settings, it started aiming at only multiplayer and thats the only thing they supported. Halo 3 came out and i dident waste my money but friends did and I gave it a fair go, played the story...in 4 hours, 3 with friends. The multiplayer was the same retake of big map X slayer or big map Y CTF and that was 90% of game play right there. And even to standards of FPS games its very shallow and lacks a good amount of featured all for making the backround look nice. I bought this game ODST and returned it the same day because its identical to Halo 3 aside from the fact your not a Spartan. You can down thing quick with no real challange, your allies don't help a whole lot and the game is still once again short, but at least they kept there very shallow and boaring multiplayer well supported. There are many things I can go on about on how Halo is very short, limited and shallow in so many was, and lacks qualitys of a good FPS (a.k.a. Call of duty, Gears of War, even Army of Two was more fun) but I won't, mainly becuase most of Halo's fan bace already know what i'm talking about and the only defence they will trow to it is that it's awsome and sold a lot of copys. So before you spam me with hate mail, take a good long time to think about why you like it and why it is a good game to you then send me good hard facts and things that could be used as a real debate.
When you said Gears of War was a good FPS, I lol'd hard.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
8 hour campaign time? Halo 3 was longer than that and Halo 3 was a pitifully short half assed load of wank. I might buy this when it costs me £4.99 from a pre-owned bargain bin but im damn sure not gunna pay £39.99 for one nights worth of play. Honestly, i cant believe i thought for a second that bungie had come to its senses and made something even remotely as good as Halo/Halo 2, i hope they pull thier collective heads out of thier asses for Fall Of Reach.

Bobby Smiles

Sep 23, 2009
You'd really have to be dense to consider Halo's design shallow. Especially when compared to a glorified lightgun game like Call of Duty 4 or even a Half-Life 2.

That or you've never even attempted playing the game on anything other than Easy or Normal, which are the entry level difficulties.

And I don't know what the Brits here are on about: I got this game for £27. If you want to talk about a price hike, look no further than America.

Blaming such a thing on Bungie is just petty, though.

skibadaa said:
8 hour campaign time? Halo 3 was longer than that and Halo 3 was a pitifully short half assed load of wank. I might buy this when it costs me £4.99 from a pre-owned bargain bin but im damn sure not gunna pay £39.99 for one nights worth of play. Honestly, i cant believe i thought for a second that bungie had come to its senses and made something even remotely as good as Halo/Halo 2, i hope they pull thier collective heads out of thier asses for Fall Of Reach.
What was wrong with 3? It added so much while balancing a lot of the tedious baggage the rushed Halo 2 created. Now that game was unquestionably bad.

Still made it better than the vast majority of shooters out at the time, though.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
Golly, sixty dollars to play a slightly modified version of Halo 3, which was in itself a slightly modified version of Halo 2, which was a slightly modified version of... Halo: Combat Evolved? No thanks :/

I hate when game devs make a huge hit and thereafter just crank out the same stuff to make money fist over fist. I've already played my fair share of Halo games and I don't think they're anything all that special anymore. And please don't give me the whole 'It's an incredible story wrapped in fantastic gameplay! spiel.' I've definitely seen better. Bungie is just milking the momentum and fanbase while it still can.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Shhhh.....you had me at "it has Nathan Fillion."
..and Alan Tudyk, annnd Adam Baldwin. I kinda been blurring over all the other fanboy riffraff going on here.
Susan Arendt said:
And don't ever think of changing that!

All things even, this makes me want the game all the more, which would mean me having to get a 360....darn console-loving Bungie...grrrrgrrrgrrr.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ohten said:

Can't wait.
Not even any innovative guns.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Run away! It will suck!

Can't be stuffed. I think it'll me much more entertaining to play Superman 64. At least you know it's TRYING to be shit.

Wait...

dracoslayer16

Jun 19, 2009
Hmm, seems my theory was right about this game. They made it as a quick sold separately version of GoW's Horde mode. After realizing how much people liked GoW's horde mode, they realized their mistake and panicked. "Hey we've got that expansion pack in the works, lets just throw horde mode in there and call it it's own game." They could have at least had the decency to try and hide that it's an expansion by taking "Halo 3" out of it's title.

Xerach

Feb 15, 2005
Wow so much hate for this series here. Personally I've gotten close to 10 hours from the singleplayer on heroic but I'm fairly methodical and check everywhere for stuff. The atmosphere and the feeling of isolation in this game is something i haven't seen in a very long while. The musical score by Marty is spot on greatness as are all the sound effects. I've enjoyed the singleplayer a lot more than I did 2 and 3.
Firefight is an excellent addition and it's going to be taking a lot of my time. I'm sorry so many here are stuck in their automatic "hate halo" phase. I do agree it should have been more of a 40 or 50 dollar purchase though considering it's existing tech. Still when it drops to that price range I hope most give it a second look.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I'll just get it for christmas. That way I get the game I want without spending the rediculous $60 for it. It should be around $40 in my opinion.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
The campaign is about 6 hours on normal. It's good while it lasts and there's replayability with the coop modes but overall it's not worth the money unless you're a real halo fanboy. I recommend a rent or else prepare for the price to drop. See what I did there?

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
ccesarano said:
Curious, I've read the campaign is roughly 4 hours on Normal, and watching the video it looked as if that was the mode you were playing (that or they really made it easier to kill things in Heroic).

The overall impression I've heard is that this game just isn't worth $60, so I'm going to hold off for a bit even though I honestly do want to give it a whirl.
when has a halo game actually been worth $15 of that flatline $60 pricetag

Haro

May 27, 2009
I don't think its either fair to judge this game on campaign length or originality.

a) It's still a halo game, I don't see why they would want to or have to change the gameplay completely. And even though you have most of the old enemies and weapons, the gameplay really becomes rather different, especially at high difficulty levels.

b) Good things often come in small packages. If you think the campaign is too short, might i recommend ratcheting up the difficulty? as I said before, it not only changes the gameplay significantly, but it also will prolong the game. win/win. And may I also point out that there are games that are short that are considered excellent, and games that are long that are... not so much. Its like comparing Portal and Devil May Cry 4. If you have played both (as i have), having a shorter campaign is often better.

Ultimately, I don't really care if people buy the game or not, or agree with me or not. However, I do think that people shouldn't make such face value judgements of the game. At least rent it, or try it out if a friend has it. If you don't like it, fine. However, I honestly think that, out of all the halo games made thus far, this one could be the best. except for Halo PC, of course. that was a gem.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
ODST was really only a filler between halo 3 and halo Reach so you have to consider the fact ODST was only made in half the time all the other halo's. I still bought ODST and liked it because of long campaign and firefight but I am not a multiplayer type of guy.If your a multiplayer guy then dont buy it but if you like campaign its worth the 60$.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Dommyboy said:
Isn't there just like one new enemy?
Yes there is, I've only seen it once so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it's the Engineer from Halo Wars.

I assume it just heals other Covenant because during the one encounter I had with one, it made Brutes glow and it felt like they were harder to kill.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Susan Arendt said:
Favorite quote from him in Firefly:

"Yeah you swindled me and you stole a man's beard!"

The man rocks and I need this game.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I just bought it. Since I never bought any of the maps this thing has an increadible value.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Having just finished a playthrough (5h14m on Normal), I've got to say I'm pretty pleased with the campaign. I can also understand why people might say that co-op would ruin the experience; I won't go so far as to say that it would "ruin" it, but you're definitely not getting out of it what the developers intended.

Now, if only it were feasible to have a friend drop-in during the flashbacks (then out afterward), because having to decide between the AI driving and the AI shooting in a Warthog is always a lose-lose situation.

Thank goodness for a Halo without Flood. I may be alone in that, but I hate fighting the Flood. I guess that's one thing I can look forward to with Reach...

Time to go back to my crawl through the city on Easy to get the audio files (only picked up 7 just playing through)...

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
I'm sorry, what? Firefly reunion?? Hell, it could be a barbie game and you'd still have me! That is, once I learn how to get money to buy nice things with.

Plus, if you think that the map packs are about 1600* MS points total at the moment, so about £16*, then that takes the actual game price from about £30* down to £14*. Of course that doesn't mean I don't think the map packs are over-priced. :p

*Note that all figures presented are guesses from a bad memory.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
ccesarano said:

It's 4 Hours in Normal if you rush, don't find and listen to Sadie's Story, and skip cutscenes.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
HG131 said:
ccesarano said:

It's 4 Hours in Normal if you rush, don't find and listen to Sadie's Story, and skip cutscenes.
Doesn't sound that bad, after all you can beat MGS 4 in under 5 hours if you rush through it.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Vlane said:
HG131 said:
ccesarano said:

Doesn't sound that bad, after all you can beat MGS 4 in under 5 hours if you rush through it.
are you counting all the acts installing? or the actual gameplay.
i'm more inclinded to believe the latter, that thing took ages to install, and i talking about the ps3 that came with it.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
MR T3D said:
Vlane said:
HG131 said:
ccesarano said:

i'm more inclinded to believe the latter, that thing took ages to install, and i talking about the ps3 that came with it.
I don't know how long it takes to install the acts since I haven't rushed through it in a while but let's just count the gameplaytime (if that's a word.... Wait Opera says it's not).

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Vlane said:
MR T3D said:
Vlane said:
HG131 said:
ccesarano said:

I don't know how long it takes to install the acts since I haven't rushed through it in a while but let's just count the gameplaytime (if that's a word.... Wait Opera says it's not).
yeah, maybe playtime is a word.
but y'know, on easy you likely can run/shoot through it in under 5, skipping cinemas, and not counting installs (which are the main reason why i rarely evn tough it.)

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, and how! I would go gay for that man! I hear he managed to work a 'Bam, said the lady!' into the script somehow.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Nerdfury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, and how! I would go gay for that man! I hear he managed to work a 'Bam, said the lady!' into the script somehow.
He did. It happens sometimes when Buck headhshots a Grunt.

Anyway! I said I'd be back to this thread once I had the game in my hands and had played it for myself.

Let me tell you guys right here and now...I literally said "Wow, that was awesome" when I finished this campaign. I rate it right up there with Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign- the best of the series, if you ask me. Now, I've been the first person I know to ***** and grumble about the previous two installments of the series, about what they did wrong and how I hated that they changed this and that seemed cheesy and so forth. You'll hear none of that out of me from ODST.

Sure, the Campaign isn't the longest- a friend of mine breezed through it in about four and a half hours on the Heroic difficulty. Of course, we didn't scour New Mombassa's rainy, dark, gloomy streets for all the little goodies hidden about (the audiophiles are amazing, by the way) but that's not the point. Even if you're playing with a friend, it feels like you're just one guy trying to make it through the night/day without getting your head taken off by a bunch of really intimidating aliens. No longer will you ever scoff at a Hunter while you charge headlong at them- it got to the point where we were burning so much ammo and so many grenades to kill a single pair of the bastards that we started sneaking around them.

The thing that makes the story, though, that makes the whole game are the personalities within it- even The Rookie. I was incredibly impressed with how much you could tell about what he was thinking by the little things he did. Tilting his head while looking at a drone camera, patting a Gauss cannon that he figured Dutch had manned, leaping into an open elevator shaft to try and rescue a very important person from certain doom- it's all very subtle, but it's there. It's also the first Halo campaign since CE that ended and left me feeling like I'd accomplished; there's no bullshit "TO BE CONTINUED? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" bullshit here.

If you like Halo, you'll like this game. If you don't like Halo, you might just like this game anyway. I'd encourage everyone here to at least give it a rent if you don't purchase it.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I stopped playin these game a long Long time ago but the thought of been able to listen to Mall and the rest from Firefly is pretty sweet // I shall have to head over to youtube and watch all of the cut scenes cos its not worth buyin the game =D

Good review thou Russ

-M

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
So all Bungie did was take thier existing engine (Halo 3), ALL of thier weapon and enemy models from said game (along with the SFX and voicework). Make one new character model (copy/paste/scale w/ pallette swap and different heads for your team) along with voice acting. Make enough maps for a 3-hour single player campaign. Then shipped it at full price... I can fully understand the vitriol around its release.

Oh, and personally, if I see that trailer one more time I'm gonna puke.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
WafflesToo said:
Make enough maps for a 3-hour single player campaign.
Stop playing on "Easy", then. On "Normal" difficulty, with 3 player co-op, and doing only the basic missions it's a 3-hour campaign... solo, on "Heroic", and actually playing the game instead of blitzing it, I found it to be an 8-hour campaign. (It took me 10, actually, but I'm lopping two hours off because I got stupid-lost early on out of my own inability to take the hints the game provided.)

I'll add that there's a lot of replay value too; there's the "Sadie's Story" parallel plot to solve, and the multiple difficulty levels as well as the "skull" gameplay modifiers. Plus Firefight if that interests players.

The "3-hour" figure is bogus, and the mark of a hatchet-job instead of an honest evaluation.

-- Steve

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
And yet you neither refute nor even dispute any other claims. It seems that Bungie put the absolute minimum amount of effort into the product and expects nobody to balk at the $60 price tag.

...then overhyped the crud out of the thing. Wish they'd spent thier advertising budget on game content instead.

I do notice nobody really thinks it's a BAD game... just over priced and overhyped for the content we're being sold.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
WafflesToo said:
And yet you neither refute nor even dispute any other claims.
Merely because I was lazy and went for the low-hanging fruit in your post rather than a systematic demolishment of the whole thing. Don't mistake silence for agreement.

-- Steve

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I would be more receptive of this game, but that Ad that keeps popping up for it just looks incredibly dumb to me...

If a pal had it I might convince him to let me give it a go, but with things like Brutal Legend and Dead Space: Etraction and so much more coming out now, I'm not really perpared to give the game a 60$ chance.

Bones_153

Oct 9, 2009
JusticarPhaeton said:
Bungie is just milking the momentum and fanbase while it still can.

Halo Franchise: 4 games released within 8 years. 1 game in development.
MGS Franchise: 11 games released within 11 years, plus "expanded editions". 3 games in development.

How anyone can say Bungie/Microsoft is milking the franchise is beyond me.

lordswift1

Sep 7, 2009
Didnt realise it had Adam Baldwin and Alan tudyk. going to have to listen more carefully. my firefly fanboy nerd is happy

Grayfayce

Oct 14, 2009
To be honest, the price may seem a little extravagant, but in my opinion it was worth it, with all the multiplayer stuff.