Review: Heavy Rain

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Nurb said:
AC10 said:
Bottom Line: Flawed though it may be, Heavy Rain is simply brilliant. If you have ever, even for a moment, felt like you've done and seen everything gaming has to offer, play this. Games will feel brand new to you again.
I bought and love heavy rain, but the similarities to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (developed by the same studio) are immense. So even if you feel like you've seen and done everything gaming has to offer - you have if you played Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain doesn't really innovate except fixing some of the annoying things with Fahrenheit... such as the story. Oddly enough Heavy Rain made walking around fucking impossible wherein Fahrenheit it was your standard kind of walking.

I guess I'm just really sick of everyone hailing heavy rain for having new and innovative gameplay when it DOESN'T. It's all been done before, and just because it's a game most people didn't play doesn't mean it's contribution should be ignored.
watching the review, I realized the same thing, its the Indigo Prophecy all over again.. hopefully without the nutball plot twist, but then I don't have a ps3 so I won't be playing it.
The story in Heavy Rain is WAYYYYYYYYYY more grounded in reality. There are still definitely fictional elements, but none of them are as ludicrous as your zombie main character fighting sentient artificial intelligences from the internet. And for those who haven't played Indigo Prophecy, yes that really happened.

demouse

Nov 23, 2009
why did a game like this come out as a console exclusive?

it is clearly more the sort of thing that PC gamers would buy just so we can fell all artsy and crap

control scheme looks like it would have worked perfectly with a mouse and keyboard

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Thank you for reviewing this one, Susan! I've been extremely curious about Heavy Rain precisely because it is attempting something new in game play styles for the "investigative" type of games. As much as I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews, they are not always a complete picture. It's always nice to come across one of your thoughtful pieces and this one really helped to flesh out the style of this new, experimental type of game. Thanks again!

Guyton77

Jun 8, 2010
Heavy rain is the best game out yet for me because it has got the best storyline that there has ever been in a game. Also it draws you in as if your actually there making the vast amount of choices to choose from. I really liked this game and i would recomend it to everyone who has the best console, called PS3!

Loved the different endings!