Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Killzone 3

Kill the Helghast as many ways as you can

Read Full Article

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Great review. I think I'll be picking this up, even though pretty much the only online shooter I play these days is Uncharted 2. If the story is actually decent then it's fixed my biggest complaint from the second game, so awesome.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Also, one of the best FPS Motion controls implementation I have experienced in recent time.
It will take a bit to find your best settings, but if you have them, you won't touch the DS3.
Even in multiplayer (beta) I never lt at a disadvantage and did in some occasions even betterthan with the DS3.

I'm really surprised that KZ3 isn't advertised much more as the flagship for motion controls in hardcore games.
If you can, give it a try and you'd be surprised how much fun a refreshing new control scheme can be.

Certainly not for everybody, but when it gets you, you don't want to go back.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Killzone 3 is a well-made game that hits all of the right notes for a AAA title. There isn't a twisting plot or engaging character development in the campaign but I was impressed with the scope of the story of the Helghast Empire dealing with the death of their fearless leader and the gritty ISA military folks fighting for survival in a hostile environment....enough to keep most pining for Killzone 4.
Wait...so it doesn't end here? The story lends itself to suggest there will be a Killzone 4???

Also I hope to share your impressions of the story in this iteration. The last game did have a story but left me pretty underwhelmed. Not as badly as Gears of War but still...

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
*Marcus Fenix voice* NICE!
I haven't played Killzone 2. Will that be a problem, or is the story accessible for newcomers as well? I think I'll definitely get this game either way, but it'd be nice to know whether it's worth buying the second one just so you understand what's going on.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Zannah said:
Now on to hating Sony, for keeping such games ps exclusive :|
Maybe we should hate Microsoft for keeping an equally good game such as Alan Wake Xbox exclusive....which by the way was supposed to be on pc as well....

Anyway I already knew I was going to get Killzone 3, the atmosphere and weight behind weapons has always been more appealing to me than the mainstream "camera with wheels" console shooters.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
Zannah said:
Maybe we should hate Microsoft for keeping an equally good game such as Alan Wake Xbox exclusive....which by the way was supposed to be on pc as well....
Owning neither console, totally an agreement there.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Zannah said:
No! Because then they have to dumb down the graphics a bit. Not trying to argue here but pretty much every ps3 exclusive game tends to have much much prettier scenery than multi-platform games.

I do like how in the demo I felt like a 'person running' rather than a 'camera bouncing' not sure what they did differently to get that effect but it works.

Malcom McDowell! First Fallout 3 and now this, he's on a role as 'video game bad guy'

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Phenom828 said:
I haven't played Killzone 2. Will that be a problem, or is the story accessible for newcomers as well? I think I'll definitely get this game either way, but it'd be nice to know whether it's worth buying the second one just so you understand what's going on.
It will take a little time to get up to speed but no more than your average action movie. You shouldn't have a problem figuring out the characters from just playing this game. No need to play Killzone 2 in order to enjoy the story.

Greg

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I'll just wait for the first guy to make a good Let's Play of the entire game.....and then watch THAT in 1080p. Seriously, if the ONE thing this game perfects is it's Cinematography, (which is primarily why i watch films) and if the Control scheme is as abysmal as Killzone2, then why should I, or anyone else bother buying it to play it instead of watch it for free on Youtube?

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Phenom828 said:
I obviously haven't played this new game, but I would think playing Killzone 2 is helpful in terms of appreciating the story and whats going on.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ace_of_something said:
Zannah said:
No! Because then they have to dumb down the graphics a bit. It's nice to see a game that can use 1080p or 1080i and not look stretchy. Not trying to argue here but pretty much every ps3 exclusive game tends to have much much prettier scenery than multi-platform games.
Killzone 3's native resolution is actually 720p, not 1080. And I'd love to get this on PC if it was available and there wouldn't need to be any compromises made.

I do like how in the demo I felt like a 'person running' rather than a 'camera bouncing' not sure what they did differently to get that effect but it works.
They employ a motion blur effect around the edges of the screen. It's subtle, but it's the little details like that that Guerrilla Games really seems to nail.

Nightv

May 24, 2009
I found this to be a poor review, as well as long winded, and counterproductive on the points made.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Im a 360 owner and i FUCKING LOVED killzone 1. Makes me want a PS3 for this... and GOW3... and MGS4... Darn you playstation classics

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hmm... looks interesting and a nice addition to the FPS roster of the PS3. I actually would like to play it. I want a PS3.

Also, that scene at the end of the review would be great material for Unskippable.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Is the practice mode where you fight against bots with multiplayer modes playable in split-screen? That would kick ass.