Review: Killzone 3

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
I think I might pick this up, although the only experience I've had with the Killzone games is the original on PS2, when I played it at a friends house. It was a good game from what I remember though.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Ugh, they still haven't fixed the cover mechanics? I remember being frustrated with the second one because I was constantly getting filled with bullets because my avatar didn't know how to duck his head properly.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth a Gamefly at least.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I'm surprised that there was no mention of the Operations game type, or was that only in the Beta?

Flamespeak

May 19, 2010
No mention of the Move controls? Kind of weird. From someone who has played the demo and MP portion though I can tell you folks curious about it. For running and gunning, the Move is inferior to a standard controller. It lacks the speed for turning and the melee action (thrusting the controller at the screen) is awkward. For med range and long range and the pop-out-of-cover mechanic with motion control precision makes for an absolute beast when it comes to head shot. For single player I will be using the Move, online will be controller only.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Phenom828 said:
*Marcus Fenix voice* NICE!
I haven't played Killzone 2. Will that be a problem, or is the story accessible for newcomers as well? I think I'll definitely get this game either way, but it'd be nice to know whether it's worth buying the second one just so you understand what's going on.
Story Summary of Killzone 2.
ISA (Good Guys) Invade Helghan (Bad Guys). Bad Guys Steal nuke after halfway point in campaign. Templar (Good Guy) Dies. Emperor Visari (Bad Guy) sets off nuke in his own city and blames it on the invaders. Rico (Good Guy major asshole) kills Visari and pisses off the entire enemy army, who promptly blow the entire good guy fleet out of the sky. The end.

You aren't missing much.

Apophis47_NZ

Apr 19, 2010
What are the controls like? Does it have the "weighted" feel of Killzone 2, or have they opted to use the more light-weight, responsive feel of COD?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Campaign co-op? Crap. This game just moved from the "Meh" to the "Pick up" side of the fence. Hopefully the story (and fighting) is better than the disasters that were the first two games. I won't be the only one shooting and being shot at this time, right? It will look like an all out war with hundreds of soldiers fighting each other instead of two men sneaking off by themselves to completely destroy the entire opposing army? Nah, I'm probably getting my hopes up...

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
Nit Pick

"The graphics...no cinematography is just breathtaking". You're thinking of art direction. Cinematography is the art of using a camera to capture the world around them. For example, True Grit is nominated for best cinematography and just might win. There are hundreds of films that have been shot outside with very similar backgrounds. What sets True Grit apart from the other samey backgrounds is the quality of the cinematography. Everything you see physically in a game comes from the art direction.

Skade

Mar 27, 2009
aseelt said:
How does it handle with Move?
Nothing short of great. I'm surprised the review doesn't state this. I never thought it would be more than a gimmick, but its actually a competitive option. I do play online with the move and land in the first places (which is not a problem, as the i'm usually second or third with the sixaxis as well).

Its a bit of a tradeoff: the controller is a bit more stable, but you can do things with the move that you cannot do using the sixaxis: like throwing a grenade over an object without panning the camera upwards. That makes chasing people out of cover far better and realistic. Grenade throwing in itself is _much_ better and accurate, especially while moving. Depending on your setting, you can also run in one direction (like, over a Bridge) and shoot a bit to the sides without loosing your direction and running into the railing. It certainly has advantages that the crosshair is not fixed to the middle of the screen. Close combat is a bit awkward, but that can be trained as well. One of the great things about the scheme is that they actually resisted the urge to map everything to gestures. Almost everything (except close combat) can also be done bye using a button.

My major nitpick about Move control is the number of parameters that can (and have to be) tuned to your liking (X- and Y-Deadzone, Crosshair Sensitivity, Aiming behaviour, Turn Speed). It takes a while to learn and some time to tune it to your style of playing. I actually played through the Single Player Demo 2 times to train it and then converted my settings to multiplayer and fine-tuned it there. But in the end, its really fun to actually have to keep your hand still while sniping instead of having this strange "but your hand shakes"-random-panning effect that most shooters have.

MirrorSweep

Apr 17, 2009
I'd love to see a serperate multiplayer review, and from someone who doesn't make me cringe while watching due to lack of skill or FPS prowess. =/

Darkhill

May 17, 2008
Wait, Rico wasn't stood up against the nearest wall and shot? That's excactly what he deserves, seeing as he murdered a foreign head of state. Really wish we were playing as the Helghast...

I'll get this game, but I'm not paying more than 50 bucks.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Is there a law somewhere that prohibits the "protagonists" from wearing helmets in a warzone?

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
For all (like me) who are about to play through this with the Move and were put off by the jetpack controls in the demo, this might be of interest to you:

Guest-41: Will the turn speed bug in the single player demo while using the jetpacks with the PS Move be fixed at the full release?
MDJ-KZ3: Yes we're looking into that one. Appologies for that but it will be fixed!
The full chat with the devs can be found here:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets-eReaders/Killzone-3-Developer-Chat-Transcript/td-p/241492

Enjoy